Phantis Forums

Greece v. Argentina

athinaios

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One shot one kill Fabiano mage mou! Na pws mpenoun ta gol kurioi, oxi na to psinoume mia wra xwris apotelesma.

Den prolabenw na teliwsw na grafw edw kai bazei trito o Elano? Kala tha perasw shmera :tup:

the only thing i can think of is that he may have thought they were too slow.....

and if that is een remotely possible, it still means his focus was defensive, rather than thinking a bit more offensively "these SK's are short (kyriakos on set pieces etc) and weak - thinking a bit more aggresively (both being rough physical players)

Time for the omnipotent gut check. Very few of us, if any, would be critical of the NT players if they were to give it their 100% for 90-95 minutes, at every game. More than anything else I question their work ethic and their mental attitude. If they were to tweak these two aspects great things can be achieved. Believe in thy self, work hard, and your dreams have a much better chance of becoming reality. Those of us that live abroad understand this well because the systems we live and prosper in reward such attributes. Greece on the other hand rewards corruption and connections to get ahead. Such attitudes can't help but trickle down into the individual psyche and to most aspects of society, to include of course sports and our NTs. That's why we don't do well at the international stage.

The proud never lay down, no matter what the challenge. They simply give it their best and good things happen. To thimomaste arage to "molon lave" h "tha to palepsoume" twn progonwn mas......alla oxi mono logia!

Argentina can be had, or any other team for that matter :gr:

Interesting however there certainly is a lot of corruption in Italy as well...but there is truth to what you're saying.

Greece coach Otto Rehhagel has admitted that his team's chances of beating Argentina in their final Group B match are slim.

The Greeks have to better Korea Republic's result against the Nigeria on Tuesday to progress. That will be no easy task against the South Americans, who have won both their matches, even if coach Diego Maradona intends to rotate his squad.

"Argentina are a top-class team, far superior to Greece," said the 71-year-old. "They will clearly be better than us and we have got to see how to cope with them. We all know the Argentine team is of extraordinary quality but we are happy to have a chance to qualify."

Source.

"They will clearly be better than us" ... :tdown: True or not you keep that to yourself as a coach and make your players believe ! ! !

Yeah but who knows what he tells them in the locker room? He can say one thing to the press to throw people off and say the opposite to his players in private...whatever happened in 08 though didn't work. In the last couple of weeks who knows...

The point is to get a good result you have to be mentally fit as well as physically...my god our ancestors knew this back in antiquity; do we need to remind our athletes this? I think they can get the result and advance with the right player selection. Otto could have called up a lot of other guys but even with what we have now we can put it together. I don't care if we're up against the highest paid players this is a team sport: unity and communication will see us through.

Irlande, that's the way to take on any team not just Argentina. But we've been trained to seat back and soak all the punches till we get knocked down or out. Example? SK. I'm afraid it's much too late to make drastic changes at this stage but we still have hope for the best, I guess. But even if we get through then what? Lets be honest, have you seen Brazil, Uruguay, Germany, Serbia..... play?

Irlande, that's the way to take on any team not just Argentina. But we've been trained to seat back and soak all the punches till we get knocked down or out. Example? SK. I'm afraid it's much too late to make drastic changes at this stage but we still have hope for the best, I guess. But even if we get through then what? Lets be honest, have you seen Brazil, Uruguay, Germany, Serbia..... play?

What I meant was:

Against Nigeria we imposed our own game which was too much for them to take. That tactic will not work v. Argentina. We need several man-markers with the rest of the team marking tightly, hoping for a possible error or set play to get any kind of offense going.

Couldn't agree with you more! 90+ min physical marking, man to man, and hope it's enough for a counter or set piece for a goal. We need a win and we need the points in case of a tie with SK. Bottom line, we made a mess of it with SK and we have to realy earn the 16 now against a great team. I still say it's doable though unlikely.

(From ESPN.com)

Posted by ESPN Stats & Information

• Suspect Argentina defense: Going forward Argentina look like world-beaters, but the defense remains error-prone and with only three on the backline, pretty stretched at times. Walter Samuel was injured in the South Korea game and is in doubt for this game.

• Lionel Messi, the reigning FIFA World Player of the Year, has done everything but score in the Argentina's first two games. Looks to get his first goal at the finals against Greece. He celebrates his 23rd birthday on June 24.

• Gonzalo Higuain: Scored a hat trick against South Korea and looks for more goals to put himself in a strong position to win the Golden Shoe.

• Juan Sebastian Veron: Argentina's playmaker missed the South Korea game due to injury but is expected to return in this game.

• Argentina has lost only one of its last 10 group stage matches. Seven of those games were shutouts.

• Argentina has won only three of its last 15 World Cup matches against European opponents, dating back to the 1990 tournament (3-5-7).

• Jonas Gutierrez, who is suspended for this game, was one of the players who received more playing time for Argentina after Diego Maradona became the team's coach. Argentina was 4-1-2 in the qualifiers that Gutierrez started, outscoring its opponents, 9-4. In the 11 games he did not start, Argentina was 4-5-2 and was outscored by two goals, 1614.

• There are eight Panathinaikos players on Greece's World Cup roster, the largest representation by one club on any World Cup team. There are three clubs with seven representatives on one squad: Bayern Munich (Germany), Barcelona (Spain), and April 25 (North Korea).

From BBC: The only previous meeting between these sides was at USA '94, when Argentina won 4-0 in a group match. Diego Maradona scored his 34th and final international goal, famously running towards the television cameras after scoring.

The hint here is the word FINAL.

5-4-1 is the formation to go here.

1) It's critical in my opinion that the defenders and mids move in tandem against any oncoming Argentinian onslaught; sort of like a pincer movement in military terminology. In other words, whenever an Argentinian player comes into our field, the mid and defense will hopefully meet him together -- pinching like pliers -- and clearing the ball out of the area. We cannot afford to give them any space tomorrow.

2) Kyrgiakos, Gekas, Torosidis, etc. need to be more aggressive during set pieces. They need to make contact with the ball and score during any opportunities.

I'm hoping for a miracle tomorrow, but realistically the team will f-- up somewhere, and we will be knocked out....

i always have hope..but im also a realist...we will need our best performance and argentina will need to stink for us to get a result...their quality is great and i think they are out to prove something this year...they will bombard us...even with a "second" team..which is not so second...we need to close the lanes and not be afriad to attack when we can..their defense is their weak link and we need to at least try to expose them at the back..i hope our ethniki makes us proud tomorrow but i wouldnt be surprised to see a 3, 4-0 scoreline..

Well, according to Greek media, this will be tomorrow's lineup

---------------------------Tzorvas----------------------------

----------------------------Moras (libero)--------------------

Seitaridis-----Avraam (marking messi)---Papastathopoulos----Torosidis

----------------Tziolis (supporting avraam)-----------------------

-------------------Katsouranis---Vyntra--------------------------

------------------------------------Karagounis------------------

----------------------------Salpingidis---------------------------

5-4-1 with Moras as libero, Avraam marking Messi, and Tziolis supporting Avraam.

Good luck!! :LOL:

On sportnet.gr it states this. http://www.sportnet.gr/report.php?id=227795

-----------------TZORVAS

-----AVRAAM-KYRGIAKOS-PAPASATHOPOULOS

VYNTRA------------------------------TOROSIDIS

------------TZIOLIS-KATSOURANIS

---NINIS---------------------------KARAGOUNIS

---------------SALPIGGIDIS

I don't think I mind this lineup that much.

Maybe Samaras instead of Sapligidis.

A healthy Moras?????

Torosidis on the right and Spyropoulos on the left?

Vyntra would be out-of-place in a contest like this. I would rather see Seitaridis given another chance, or Patsatzoglou replacing him, or Gekas converted into a fullback to take his place.

Seriously now, I hope this day will be remembered for a long time for the right reasons!

Archived