Phantis Forums

World Cup 2010

thrylos

Rehhagel picks first 9:

Fanis Gekas (Hertha BSC), Pantelis Kapetanos (Steaua Bucureşti), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Liverpool), Vangelis Moras (Bologna), Socratis Papastathopoulos (Genoa), Christos Patsatzoglou (AC Omonia), Giorgos Samaras (Celtic), Alexandros Tziolis (Siena) and Angelos Charisteas (Nuremberg).

hmmm Patsatsoglou?

Not sure about his selection. Is he tearing things up in Cyprus is he? Or is Rehhagel continuing his path to senility?

We all know that Patsa will get picked in the first 11 if he is fit and I really don't know if he is up to it.

Anyway interesting times. The country we have all known is finished and I am looking for the Ethniki to give us all some positive distraction for a few weeks during the WC.

:gr:

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rehagels 25 for training......Looks bad.....very bad. I think my optimism for this tournament is fading...

Names include

Xaristeas ------ not suprisingly, but seriously its unfair we have to go to a World Cup with him wasting yet another spot on the team

Avraam------ so horrible, and yet he'll play.

No doubt - these two I honestly hope get injured and miss the tournament. Its the only way to protect the national team from being dragged down under to the level we DONT want to see.

a team of

--------------------Tzorvas

Vyntra--Kyrgiakos---Papastathopoulos---Spyropoulos

-------Ninis --------Karagkounis---Katsouranis---

Salpigidis-----------Gkekas--------Samaras

That sounds like a competent team. But put Avraaam/Xaristeas/Tziolis in there and itll fall to peices.

This is out midfield........Its pretty pitiful. Tziolis, Patsatzoglou, Makos,.....I have more faith in Prittas who I've always been a fan of, hopefully he breaks into the team.

I can't believe Kapetanos got in ahead of Mitroglou!

Also how can he leave Koutsianikoulis out but bring in Brittas? Fotakis was also harshly dropped in my opinion. He's certainly better than Makos. I would have also preferred to have K.Papadopoulos than Malezas.

We'll finish bottom of the group guys

I think we still have some chance.

Prittas is a more reliable player than Koutsianikoulis, also theyre a different role....Prittas is going to be more suited for a 3 man midfield.

I agree. Makos over Fotakis??? what on earth has Makos done to justify that?

Kapetanos over Mitroglou?

Kapetanos good season deserves credit, but Mitroglou has been scoring in Europe, Greece just as many goals as Kapetanos (at a better team), and not to mention has been a key player for the u21 very recetnly scoring there - Mitroglou's even more experienced there.

Mitroglou is so much a better choice its outrageous. Hopefully Mitro plays great in training and uses his German.

But really, I hope injuries to Xaristeas and Avraam. Their presence on the team is an anchor that takes up better players spots....

I don't know about bottom of the group.....its the WC and anything can happen.

I see us taking 2 draws and a loss.

Goalkeepers: Michalis Sifakis (Aris Salonika), Alexandros Tzorvas (Panathinaikos), Kostas Chalkias (PAOK Salonika)

Defenders: Giorgos Seitaridis (Panathinaikos), Loukas Vintra (Panathinaikos), Evangelos Moras (Bologna), Socrates Papastathopoulos (Genoa), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Liverpool), Avraam Papadopoulos (Olympiakos), Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiakos), Nikos Spiropoulos (Panathinaikos), Stelios Malezas (PAOK Salonika), Giorgos Tzavellas (Panionios), Kostas Manolas (AEK Athens), Giorgos Galitsios (Olympiakos), Stergos Marinos (Panathinaikos)

Midfielders: Kostas Katsouranis (Panathinaikos), Alexandros Tziolis (Siena), Giorgos Karagounis (Panathinaikos), Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos), Christos Patsatzoglou (Omonia), Grigoris Makos (AEK Athens), Sakis Prittas (Aris Salonika), Lazaros Christodoulopoulos (Panathinaikos);

Forwards: Angelos Charisteas (Nuremberg), Dimitris Salpigidis (Panathinaikos), Pantelis Kapetanos (Steaua Bucharest), Theofanis Gekas (Hertha Berlin), Giorgos Samaras (Celtic), Kostas Mitroglou (Olympiakos).

There we have it the 30 who go off to camp. Otto wll toss the salad and who knows what will come out. We will play our 3 games and THEOS BOITHOS there might be a fourth..... I'll take 1 extra game.....then who knows??

Keepers : All Three come along to SA..I believe Tzorvas will start if he posts points he will continue if not Sifakis should get game 2.

Backs: Toro,Socrates,Soto,Spyropoulos to start. Off the bench Vyntra ,Moras,Tzavellas,Giourkas( If in form he starts and push Toro in Ninis spot,Ninis in for Salpi).

Mids: Ninis,Katsouranis,Karagounis..all green starters Tziolis,Lazaros,and Patsa

Strikers: Samaras,Gekas,Salpi start. Off the bench Kapetanos,Mitro,Charisteas

Game 1:

....................................Tzorvas......................................................

Giourkas...................Socrates..............Soto...........................Spyropoulos

...........Torosidis..........................Katsouranis..............................Karagounis

.........Ninis.................................Gekas....................................Samaras

Goalkeepers: Michalis Sifakis (Aris Salonika), Alexandros Tzorvas (Panathinaikos), Kostas Chalkias (PAOK Salonika)

Defenders: Giorgos Seitaridis (Panathinaikos), Loukas Vintra (Panathinaikos), Evangelos Moras (Bologna), Socrates Papastathopoulos (Genoa), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Liverpool), Avraam Papadopoulos (Olympiakos), Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiakos), Nikos Spiropoulos (Panathinaikos), Stelios Malezas (PAOK Salonika), Giorgos Tzavellas (Panionios), Kostas Manolas (AEK Athens), Giorgos Galitsios (Olympiakos), Stergos Marinos (Panathinaikos)

Midfielders: Kostas Katsouranis (Panathinaikos), Alexandros Tziolis (Siena), Giorgos Karagounis (Panathinaikos), Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos), Christos Patsatzoglou (Omonia), Grigoris Makos (AEK Athens), Sakis Prittas (Aris Salonika), Lazaros Christodoulopoulos (Panathinaikos);

Forwards: Angelos Charisteas (Nuremberg), Dimitris Salpigidis (Panathinaikos), Pantelis Kapetanos (Steaua Bucharest), Theofanis Gekas (Hertha Berlin), Giorgos Samaras (Celtic), Kostas Mitroglou (Olympiakos).

There we have it the 30 who go off to camp. Otto wll toss the salad and who knows what will come out. We will play our 3 games and THEOS BOITHOS there might be a fourth..... I'll take 1 extra game.....then who knows??

Keepers : All Three come along to SA..I believe Tzorvas will start if he posts points he will continue if not Sifakis should get game 2.

Backs: Toro,Socrates,Soto,Spyropoulos to start. Off the bench Vyntra ,Moras,Tzavellas,Giourkas( If in form he starts and push Toro in Ninis spot,Ninis in for Salpi).

Mids: Ninis,Katsouranis,Karagounis..all green starters Tziolis,Lazaros,and Patsa

Game 1:

....................................Tzorvas......................................................

Giourkas...................Socrates..............Soto...........................Spyropoulos

...........Torosidis..........................Katsouranis..............................Karagounis

.........Ninis.................................Gekas....................................Samaras

I like your lineup!

Mids: Ninis,Katsouranis,Karagounis..all green starters  Tziolis,Lazaros,and Patsa

Game 1:

I like your lineup!
I like it as well.

It could be a lot worse with the combination of players Mr Rehhagel has selected.

I'm pretty sure we will see Avraam and Charisteas in the side.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the next week we play N.Korea in preparation for S.Korea. S.Korea will play Japan (I have no idea who that's in preparation for), but they also beat Ecuador 2-0 earlier in the week, which was no doubt a prep for Nigeria.

Let's hope we see youth mixed perfectly with experience and see an impressive display.

I think N. Korea will beat the crap out of Greece at which point it'll become obvious that GR can't compete and all will fall into pieces. This is not my wish, but I just don't see how GR will be successful against a very fast Korean team, then the other 2 games.....

I believe Otto will not risk. He'll go there not to lose, hoping all the stars align and GR scores... He's hoping to get a couple ties... that's all. Unfortunately in this kind of tournament, you've got to win to advance. So, OK, 1 win and a tie may do it.... I doubt this will happen though.

I'll be watching with friends and colleagues and I know I'll suffer.... :(

From Reuters: Maradona's Argentina hit five in Canada rout

Maxi Rodriguez scored twice as Argentina routed Canada 5-0 Monday in their final match on home soil before heading to the World Cup.

Somebody should tell them not too get to excited! The most goals we will allow in a World Cup game is 4 !!!!!

Maxi Rodriguez scored twice as Argentina routed Canada 5-0 Monday in their final match on home soil before heading to the World Cup.

Somebody should tell them not to get to excited! The most goals we will allow in a World Cup game is 4 !!!!!

Yeah let's see exactly how we'll go against them when they routed the Canucks.

One thing I know for sure is that at least we aren't the worst or 2nd worst teams at the WC.

Those 2 slots are filled by Australia and New Zealand. I watched them playing each other last night and 2 worse national sides I have never seen. The Greek side from 1994 is a step up than these 2 hacks.

Australia have this dago named Vincenzo Grella who seriously nearly obliterated the leg of his NZ (the omogeni named Leo Bertos) opponent and then questioned why he got a yellow when what he should have gotten was a red card and a 3 match suspension. It's a shame we can't play Australia as we'd win and I'm that confident we would win that I'd put the Greek national debt on the result.

who cares what argentina did in a friendly vs Canada, honestly...Canada is horrible, and not with any reason to play besides being a terrible football country and team - they have no where near the level of players Greece does.

We can still beat Argentina with solid defense. We saw what happened to Messi vs Inter.....We play solid defense and frustate their fancy game we can make Fatboy Maradona kick and scream about how teams should only be attacking or something stupid like this....

who cares what argentina did in a friendly vs Canada, honestly

We do. It's called momentum, confidence, optimism, gelling. In the world of sports they all (collectively and individually) help uplift a team's performance. At this point we have none of those - only the arrogance that "we did it once we can do it again." And a mediocre team, hoping that the Greek Gods will bestow their blessing upon us come game day.

Let's see what happens today against N. Korea. We'll get a better picture of where we stand.

I saw both the Argentina vs Canada, and Japan vs S.Korea games yesterday.

Argentina looked good but as Drakos says Canada are horrible so it's difficult so analyse them. One thing I will say is that they like to use width to stretch teams, but rather than whip in crosses their wide men like to attack the full backs and try and get around them. So it's imperative we don't leave Spyropoulos and Vintra isolated.

Also, although Canada are bad, they only had one shot on goal! A 25 yard effort from De Rosario that went in row Z! So it's also difficult to analyse weaknesses. If there was one it was that Canada's left winger did cause the right side some problems when he ran at then, but he hardly ever put in a decent cross. So I'd lack to us flood that midfield, preferably with a 5-4-1/3-6-1 (depending on how you want to list it), allowing Spyropoulos to lap whoever plays on the left and see if we can cause problems there.

Another factor that I hope Otto noted was that the Canadians played very deep in the first half. This was no doubt a bid to try and stop the tricky and pacey Argentines from getting in behind the defence. Problem is they were so deep that at times they affected the goalkeeper, and also the Argentine midfielders were able to shoot from 20-25 yards on numerous occassions. Enough of those and they're bound to score some! So yes play a fairly deep line, but not so deep that they'll start blasting shots at us every time they get a chance. We should also go for a pacey backline rather than a physical one. Drop Moras and play both Papastathopoulos and Avraam (yes Avraam! We need a quicker defender with a quicker change of direction because we don't want Messi running at Moras)

In the other game I was very impressed with S.Korea and unfortunately it has left me dreading the fact that we'll finish of the group :( They are very well organised and move the ball neatly in midfield. They are patient and have good movement up front and so they always look for through balls. Against a team like this I wish we still had a sweeper like Dellas when he was at his best. I would play Papastathopoulos in that role instead now though and hope he can sweep everything up because they will get in behind Kyrgiakos and co. with through balls unless we're alert to that threat.

They aren't a very big team so we need to focus on our set pieces. We also need to have a pact midfield against them too to stop them playing their neat possession football. If we get in amongst them and turn in it into a physical battle in midfield we can beat them.

There are some tough games ahead gentlemen and I'm not very confident :(

Somebody should tell them not to get to excited! The most goals we will allow in a World Cup game is 4 !!!!!

Yeah let's see exactly how we'll go against them when they routed the Canucks.

One thing I know for sure is that at least we aren't the worst or 2nd worst teams at the WC.

Those 2 slots are filled by Australia and New Zealand. I watched them playing each other last night and 2 worse national sides I have never seen. The Greek side from 1994 is a step up than these 2 hacks.

Australia have this dago named Vincenzo Grella who seriously nearly obliterated the leg of his NZ (the omogeni named Leo Bertos) opponent and then questioned why he got a yellow when what he should have gotten was a red card and a 3 match suspension. It's a shame we can't play Australia as we'd win and I'm that confident we would win that I'd put the Greek national debt on the result.

NZ played with real heart that match, australia with their high and mighty egos were expecting to win 5-0 and when NZ played hard (showing the world they wont be going down without a fight) the australians resorted to foul play and true "australian sportsmanship" ....they needed a cheap 95' goal to win....in the 3' of added time.....

Nz are most probably the worst team there on paper but NZ will play with heart and with pride and i assure u they will not be embarassed this WC.

re grella, he is just trash, who the F*** does that in a friendly, i mean not even in a cyprus vs turkey or palestine vs isreal friendly would u see that sort of challange....disgraceful

Disappointing, isn't it?

Why couldnt we play yesterday. Even Canada got in a friendly vs Venezuela yesterday.

I hope this does not turn out to be 94 all over .South African diakopes...I here they are staying at some glam spot. If he has a plan he will liv or die by it.

I see Paraguay spanking our boys hard.

I'm not sure if this counts for anything but some results which should interest us from overnight:

Nigeria 1 - Colombia 1

Sth Korea 0 - Belarus 1

I guess the result I am most interested in is the fact that Asia's best team South Korea lost to Belarus who we have beaten in recent time.

If Otto has a stroke before the 1st match and some one else selects the side and it includes Socrates, Ninis and Torosidis in the midfield we may have a small chance.

Archived