Phantis Forums

World Cup 2010

thrylos

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

150 fans to bid the team off? I don't understand how the passion for the national team has crippled since 2004 - people really hardly care. In other countries the place shuts down into a WC atmosphere..in 94 I remember Greece was actually excited (the country) for the event......Now a days......We have a team and fans that arent that interested or passionate about being a part of this tournament...

Oh Karagkounis declared "8a tous fame olous".....while Nigerian players are making serious statments about their desires and faith to win their opener against ARG......Our captain is being sarcastic about the whole event.

Everything I read is we have to enjoy it, live the moment, blah blah its a celebration--------- While thats partly true, and the WC is a celebration: ITS ALSO A COMPETITION. The point isnt to go there and enjoy, the point is to go there and try to WIN. Otherwise don't bother.

If it were Greece's first appearance in major tournaments like in previous years it would be one thing to take the pressure off winning...

Greece is a solid European football country been in 3 major tournaments and even won one in the last 6.....Theres no "lets just enjoy this", the fans have expectations--------and so does the WORLD. You can't seriously declare it as a holiday anymore. Its very possible Greece may not see another world cup for a decade.

and Vyntra are bench players on this stage.

Vyntra is a whipping boy.

The guy is smart, solid and has skills. Thinking more clearly, the guy should be starting as one of the central defenders in Oto's 3 CB system.

I would love to see something like this:

------------------------------------SIFAKIS

SEITARIDIS (if healthy)-VYNTRA-KYRGIAKOS-PAPASTATHOPOULOS-SPYROPOULOS

-----------------------------------TOROSIDIS

---------------------------NINIS----------------KARAGOUNIS

--------------------GEKAS------------SAMARAS

I know this isn't exactly the system Oto loves, but I like it :tup: :tup:

AND THAT IS ALL THE MATTERS.

Our D is fast, strong, good in the air.

Torosidis will be a MONSTER in this role

Ninis and Karagounis will have freedom to create.

Good line up Thrylos; the thing is, we may get lucky and see something like this during one of our games. The only thing I would disagree with is Seitaridis. He didn't play much at all this season and has been out of form for several years now. Patz would be better there.

Toro can play as a right winger. Ninis as a #10 w/ Kats just behind him...Kara off to the left. OR Salp as a right winger, Ninis in the middle, Toro and Kara. With something like this we're actually not bad. So potentially we could field a decent side.

Ahhhhhh Panagoulias!!

This got me thinking....Anyone notice Kofidis hair? Where is Tsiantakis's mug when you need it?

Greece's roster in 1994 for $h!t$ and g!ggle$

Green--Deserved to be there

Red--Probably not

Yellow--Whatever

Christos KARKAMANIS (GK)

Giannis KALITZAKIS----Amazing player/athlete......

Giotis TSALOUCHIDIS--One of my all time favourites. Would shut down the opponent and score timely goals (loved the hair)

Nikos NIOPLIAS--Great distributer of the ball.

Nikos MACHLAS--Gets ripped in this segment but I liked him

Tassos MITROPOULOS-Passed his prime by the time the World Cup came along. A MONSTER in his prime

Vaios KARAGIANNIS---WHO??

Minas HANTZIDIS--Overrated

Savvas KOFIDIS--One of the all time best Greek soccer players

Alekos ALEXANDRIS--Good goal scorer. Saw the game at a higher level

Alexis ALEXIOU --Ummmmm

Antonis MINOU (GK)-Ahh Minou. What can I say

Elias ATMATZIDIS (GK)--Who?

Stratos APOSTOLOLAKIS--Possibly the best Greek outside back ever

Thanasis KOLITSIDAKIS--Never liked him

Stelios MANOLAS--One of the best Greek defenders of all time

Dimitrios SARAVAKOS--I'm an OSFP fan, but Saravakos might be the best Greek player the last 30 years. If this guy was playing today with the open market he might be playing on a top team in Europe

Nikos TSIANTAKIS--Loved the hair

Spiros MARANGOS--Never really cared about him

Vasilis DIMITRIADIS--Ummmmmmm

Alexis ALEXOUDIS--Ummmmm

Kyriakos KARATAIDIS -Unsung hero for years. Years I say

Coach

Alketas PANAGOULIAS

Man, Looking at that roster and some of the great players Greece has produced on that roster.

Let's not talk about results, just being nostalgic

Panagoulias was no one to criticise! :nono:

The players were not a team. Nobody knew what their teammates were doing. I still have nightmares of Kofidis looking and looking and finding no one to pass the ball to. :blink:

A stupid 3-6-1 was imposed on the NT which was unknown to Greece. Machlas was desperately alone up front, double-marked and out of the game. Any time our midfield was passed = goal. :(

Who brought these horrible memories up again to raise my blood pressure??? :angry:

Ah, 1994.... I remember it well. Not a good memory.

But, I visited the team several times when they were staying/practicing at Adelphi University in Long Island. (I worked as a journalist)

We played a friendly match against a team consisting of the GR team's coaching staff, and sport journalists from Greece. Mimis Papaioannou brought me down a couple times but I did him in a couple times too. haha :P We both scored 1 (final 2-2).

That's the best memory, because later GR got humiliated by Nigeria, Argentina, and Bulgaria. What a shame. Greece played in "Greek Towns" so it had "home advantage" with all the Greeks in the stands. Incredible atmosphere.

Honestly, GR was the worst team in the WC then. No goals for and 10 against in 3 games. :(

^ Greece played in Boston twice and once in Chicago...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, there's a report about using Kats as a libero

http://www.sigmalive.com/simerini/sport%20...e/greece/274461

S. Korea should be a good match for the GR team because they're not overly technical but they're a physical team. We need fast players in the back to check their attackers. Spyro should play, I don't know about Yourkas. If someone isn't 100% shouldn't even be a sub in my opinion.

i think we will see a closed team in two days...we will not be attacking the south koreans which is my opinion is a big mistake...we will fish some balls forward, win some fouls and go at them with set pieces...i expect to see an un-imaginative starting team..our defense is not as discipline as it was in 2004 and relying on them will probably back fire..i hope we go out there with alot of passion and drive..lets hope this stage will lift them up...we need hunger, which we havent looked like we have had..

playing kats as the third centre back in my opinion is a good idea...he looked good in defense for pao and im afraid has been looking too lazy in the midfield..his passing can be good for us distribution wise bc lets face it, kyrgiakos is quite poor with the ball at his feet..

papastathopoulo must play...he is better than both moras and avraam...sitting him would be a crime...

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1...er+warm+welcome

Greek expats offer warm welcome

(AFP) Thursday 10 June 2010

Posted Image

(Proof that the ancient Greeks were blacks. LOL!!!)

Greece could be forgiven for thinking they have home advantage when they take on Korea Republic in their 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ opener on Saturday.

The reason? Port Elizabeth boasts a thriving Greek community, which numbers around 1,000 proud Hellenic ex-pats including Archie Charalambous, venue manager of this Eastern Cape city's brand new Nelson Mandela stadium. Greeks first arrived in Port Elizabeth around 100 years ago, as sea merchants," Charalambous told AFP as he oversaw the finishing touches to the ground that will play host to eight FIFA World Cup matches in all.

The former university lecturer and ardent football fan added: "We now number 300 families in Port Elizabeth. I'm first generation Greek, my parents were born in Cyprus." Charalambous recently stood down as chairman of the Greek community association in Port Elizabeth to devote himself to readying the 45,000 capacity venue with a view over the Indian Ocean for FIFA World Cup action.

"You don't need to ask me who I want to win on Saturday," he smiled, before asserting: "The stadium is ready, we're just applying the finishing touches.

"The last few days are always a little nervy, but everything has gone well. We're expecting 40,000 or so for Greece v South Korea - we had that size of crowd for the friendly between South Africa and Japan."

Barely one kilometre behind the stadium Father Georges Vakonakis was rubbing his hands in anticipation at watching the UEFA EURO 2004 champions in person. Vakonakis presides over a picture postcard white-walled and green slate roofed Greek Orthodox church built on top of a hill in 1958 to serve the Greek community.

He arrived in Port Elizabeth six years ago after a 14 year spell in Cameroon. The priest, his grey hair tied back in a ponytail, is, like Charalambous, itching for Greece to open their campaign with three points.

"I'll be there on Saturday wearing the Greek colours. I'm so excited and never believed I'd be watching Greece play in the World Cup in Port Elizabeth.

"I'll offer them a prayer but I don't think the team will come and visit my church - Otto Rehhagel is too strict! There are around 7,000 Greek fans due to attend the game."

If we go out of this world cup without a win, then that's how Otto will be remembered. Let's hope not after all he has done for our football!

:gr:

no he won't. he's a legend whatever happens.
In retrospect i believe i was completly right on this one. Let's hope for Otto's sake we at least score a goal. I can't imagine Greeks around the world rushing up to get a picture taken with the "legend" anymore. They be more like <_< - ftou sou re gamoto

Ti asximanthropos autos o Otto re paidi mou!

Do any of you remember the high fiving insident with a Swedish fan I believe while his team was getting beat up? His heart was sure in the right place, just like it is now, didn't once get up from the bench last Saturday, he appears to care so much, no?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived