Phantis Forums

World Cup 2010

thrylos

i dont think we can take too much into friendly matches...

australia v new zealand was one of the worst matches ive seen n showed that australia n new zealand are gonna get smashed in the world cup n then New Zealand beat Serbia, prob one of the best european teams atm 1-0

England have struggled in there 2 friendlies, france have struggled,

we drew to nth korea, i dont think its that big of a deal... but i guess we will c first game against sth korea....

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its a friendly.....I dont remember playing Belarus recently....they are actually quite a decent side the recent years....

true friendlies arent haveing much meaning...look at england yesterday....barely made it past japan thanks to 2 own goals...

i say paraguay beats us 2-1....or maybe we win, you don't know...im thinking of making the trip out to go see the match...

its a friendly.....I dont remember playing Belarus recently....they are actually quite a decent side the recent years....

true friendlies arent haveing much meaning...look at england yesterday....barely made it past japan thanks to 2 own goals...

i say paraguay beats us 2-1....or maybe we win, you don't know...im thinking of making the trip out to go see the match...

My memory failed me somewhat. It was Feb 2006 when we played Belarus. Our team is pretty much the same but I'm sure they have changed.

Anyway I do agree that friendly matches are no indication as to how a team is travelling.

If we look at our friendly matches prior to Euro 2004. We lost 1-0 to Poland. We lost 4-0 to Netherlands and we (barely) beat Lichtenstein 2-0 and then we went on to history!

If you do go to the match against Paraguay. Post a detailed report.

From the BBC: Greece boss Otto Rehhagel names final World Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Michalis Sifakis (Aris Salonika), Alexandros Tzorvas (Panathinaikos), Kostas Chalkias (PAOK Salonika).

Defenders: Giorgos Seitaridis (Panathinaikos), Loukas Vintra (Panathinaikos), Evangelos Moras (Bologna), Socrates Papastathopoulos (Genoa), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Liverpool), Avraam Papadopoulos (Olympiakos), Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiakos), Nikos Spiropoulos (Panathinaikos), Stelios Malezas (PAOK Salonika).

Midfielders: Kostas Katsouranis (Panathinaikos), Alexandros Tziolis (Siena), Giorgos Karagounis (Panathinaikos), Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos), Christos Patsatzoglou (Omonia), Sakis Prittas (Aris Salonika).

Forwards: Angelos Charisteas (Nuremberg), Dimitris Salpigidis (Panathinaikos), Pantelis Kapetanos (Steaua Bucharest), Theofanis Gekas (Hertha Berlin), Giorgos Samaras (Celtic).

Read more: Greece boss Otto Rehhagel names final World Cup squad

Platini is a moron - everything he says is usually quite stupid. I thank him, because I beleive he'll end up eating his words, simply because he was stupid enough to say it, rather than us being really good.

Final 23 is released: No suprises

Tzavellas, Makos were cut :(

New inclusions include: Prittas, Ninis, Malezas, Kapetanos

Unfortunate inclusions STILL include: Xaristeas, Avraam, Patsatzoglou

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/World/WorldCup...ece/275575.html

From the BBC: Greece boss Otto Rehhagel names final World Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Michalis Sifakis (Aris Salonika), Alexandros Tzorvas (Panathinaikos), Kostas Chalkias (PAOK Salonika).

Defenders: Giorgos Seitaridis (Panathinaikos), Loukas Vintra (Panathinaikos), Evangelos Moras (Bologna), Socrates Papastathopoulos (Genoa), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Liverpool), Avraam Papadopoulos (Olympiakos), Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiakos), Nikos Spiropoulos (Panathinaikos), Stelios Malezas (PAOK Salonika).

Midfielders: Kostas Katsouranis (Panathinaikos), Alexandros Tziolis (Siena), Giorgos Karagounis (Panathinaikos), Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos), Christos Patsatzoglou (Omonia), Sakis Prittas (Aris Salonika).

Forwards: Angelos Charisteas (Nuremberg), Dimitris Salpigidis (Panathinaikos), Pantelis Kapetanos (Steaua Bucharest), Theofanis Gekas (Hertha Berlin), Giorgos Samaras (Celtic).

Read more: Greece boss Otto Rehhagel names final World Cup squad

I see no Manolas, no Tzavelas, no Mitroglou (Charisteas or Kapetanos in favour of Mitroglou at this stage is beyond me) ...

Makos being cut is fine by me.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37427129/ns/.../sports-soccer/

Adidas shocked at criticism of World Cup ball

‘We started using it in December ... All the response has been positive’

MICHAELA REHLE / Reuters

Mon., May 31, 2010

LONDON - Adidas hit back Monday at criticism that the World Cup ball is difficult to control and a nightmare for goalkeepers, stressing that it was widely tested and approved long ago.

Company spokesman Thomas van Schaik said he was surprised to hear the critical comments, made by top goalkeepers such as Spain’s Iker Casillas and Brazil’s Julio Cesar, because the “Jabulani” balls had been used for months without any complaints.

“We started using it in December in a wide variety of leagues,” he told The Associated Press. “All the response we have had has been positive.

“On top of that, we have distributed it to all the finalists so that they have been able to get used to the ball. Apparently they have not taken advantage of that if we are only hearing this criticism now. I am quite surprised in these circumstances.”

Brazil has been in South Africa since Thursday and Cesar described the World Cup balls as “terrible,” comparing them with cheap ones bought in a supermarket. Casillas said the balls were “in an appalling condition.”

Field players have been critical too. Brazil striker Luis Fabiano described the ball as “weird” and suddenly changing trajectory and Italy’s Giampaolo Pazzini said it was “a disaster.”

“It moves so much and makes it difficult to control,” the Italian striker said. “You jump up to head a cross and suddenly the ball will move and you miss it.”

In contrast, several German players have said they were happy with the new ball, although some of them or their clubs have Adidas sponsorship.

Mario Gomez, who scored with the ball for Bayern Munich, said he found it “a little harder.”

“It hurts a little, but if you hit it right, it flies,” he said.

Asked why the ball behaved differently at altitude, where many of the games will be played in South Africa, Van Schaik said that applied to all balls.

“It does what every ball does (at altitude) and that really doesn’t have anything to do with it,” he said. “The different air pressure at altitude does make the ball move faster. We did have extensive testing with regard to altitude.”

Van Schaik also said he thinks the criticism will taper off once the games start.

“If you look back in history there have always been criticisms about the ball before the World Cup but not so much afterwards after you’ve seen great goals or great saves,” he said.

“The ball is much more accurate, making the best players in the world even better. If they kick the ball they want it to go where they are aiming for and even the goalkeepers get a better idea of where the ball is going.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similar criticism about Euro 2004 ball. Omen, anyone?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_kmaf.../ai_kepm483217/

New Euro 2004 ball under fire from players

AFP, June, 2004

LISBON (AFP) — As the kick-off date for the Euro 2004 finals approaches, the new seamless ball which will be used during the three-week tournament is being panned by a growing number of players.

"The ball is strange. We have all discussed it and we all feel the same way," Greek midfielder Vassilis Tsartas told reporters at the team's training camp.

He complained it was impossible to hit a target with a long pass.

Czech Republic coach Karel Bruckner echoed his concerns.

"This ball could be good just for the players of Real Madrid who play with short passes. But our players have problems controlling it with long passes," he said Tuesday.

"We will have to learn new habits and we will probably have to change our playing system."

Our Greek ego gets in the way again.

Platini is fairly accurate with his assessment.

We believe that Greece has earned the right to be considered a favourite and all.

Or that we need more respect.

That is baloney.

Greece has not taken the next step. The talent base is there, but the Greek clubs are ruining it with stupid decisions and fan input. The clubs are so busy trying to please their fans, that they have a 1 year window for success.

Not until the whole Greek mentality changes can Greek soccer go forward.

Greece has a realistic chance to come out of their group. But as a football nation, there is no winning history. Consistency leads to success.

Our Greek ego gets in the way again.

Platini is fairly accurate with his assessment.

We believe that Greece has earned the right to be considered a favourite and all.

Or that we need more respect.

That is baloney.

Greece has not taken the next step. The talent base is there, but the Greek clubs are ruining it with stupid decisions and fan input. The clubs are so busy trying to please their fans, that they have a 1 year window for success.

Not until the whole Greek mentality changes can Greek soccer go forward.

Greece has a realistic chance to come out of their group. But as a football nation, there is no winning history. Consistency leads to success.

I think you failed on understanding the context

1) Accurate or not, the point I was referring to is that he's got no place bashing UEFA sides ahead of a FIFA tournament. And yes, hes indeed a moron. Its nothing to do with pro or anti Greek ego, he was even stupid saying last year PAO could make the CL final.

2) I said we ARENT that good. However, now that hes been dumb enough to make comments against another team, that team will make him look stupid, via Murphys Law or whatever superstituos force have you, regardless if we are good or not...

I agree Lazarus, Otto is all that, but he is also right about this team, they suck donkey %^$$*^and feel no shame about it. Since 2004 the writing's been on the wall but we Greeks obviously can't read. We don't have a Zagorakis anymore and no doubt HE was the heart of the team and thanks to him the 2004 miracle happened not King shithead.

we may not be Brazil, but that doesnt excuse picking out of form and untalented players over ones that are more eager, more fit, more in form and more talented.......

Kapetanos over Mitroglou....Really?!? Xaristeas ever--and over Mitroglou??? Mitro has more power, speed, and form, skill and worse haircut than both of them combined. And vs Kapetanos, he has much more International experience having played quite a lot at u21.

Koutsianikoulis not there? Tzavellas not there? Even Lazaros would add a very nice option on the left side and in the midfield with flair and work ethic.....but hes out too....Giannis Papadopoulos surely is better than the CMs we have.....Katsouranis can't play football anymore. I dont understand why PAO hasnt sold him yet, hes awful. We took SIX midfielders in the 23...Other teams are taking 8......

With Tzavellas, we could have more depth at LB, and we wouldnt have to play Torosidis there, who cant even pass with his left foot, and cannot cross from the left side.......Tzavellas meanwhile lead the league in assists his left foot is a laser - and he can defend.

Even the preparation has been abysmal.......Two warm up matches? Just two? Its very clear that we DESPERATELY need more games to get our selves together before the tournament......Instead we played two soft friendlies in Central Europe and shurgged.... Other countries are playing 3-4....... Greece? Why practice if you know your going to lose right?

Why practice if you know your going to lose right?

Uhhh! Don't get me started drakos. This whole thing has been and still is a farce! For all the reasons that you mentioned above. I think I'm going to go for a walk now (before I blow my top off!) - gotta keep my blood pressure under control! :angry:

With Tzavellas, we could have more depth at LB, and we wouldnt have to play Torosidis there, who cant even pass with his left foot, and cannot cross from the left side.......Tzavellas meanwhile lead the league in assists his left foot is a laser - and he can defend.

Been saying this for a while. We need players playing to their strengths and not out of position. Tsabellas is a better option that Spyropoulos.

Don't knock down Torosidis, but we need a player like him doing the dirty work in the midfield.

Been saying this for a while. We need players playing to their strengths and not out of position. Tsabellas is a better option that Spyropoulos.

Don't knock down Torosidis, but we need a player like him doing the dirty work in the midfield.

Toro will be the starting Right Back,with Spyropoulos LB....ama den kimate o germanos. Giourkas and Vyntra are bench players on this stage.

Ninis must play on the rightside as well. Confidence must be really low...Otto will have to really do a psych job on these boys.

I didnt mean to ---- Torosidis would be the saving grace and very transformation of this team if he was allowed to take Katsouranis spot in the midfield, because that is where he belongs. My point is, hes TOTALLY not a left side player, his game and his potentital really are being held back quite a lot, its not like hes bad----

its just that had we a left footed player there, we could have a more dangerous team, because being left footed on the left side opens up a lot of options, which yesterday numerous times Torosidis was forced to awkwardly stop and use his right to send a cross from the left side which leads to worse crosses, more offsides, and slowing our offense down, as opposed to if he was on the right, he could drive possesion inwards---- he cant do that from the left, because he has NO LEFT.

Torosidis totally belongs in the central midfield over Katsouranis, its just not fair, not only do we strongly need

Torosidis to have as much of his potential and contributions on the field

A LEFT FOOTED left back (Spyropoulos/Tzavellas)

but we NEED KATSOURANIS OUT ON TOP OF THAT.....

Giourkas was one of our better players yesterday---hes definitley not our concern. Torosidis is the bigger concern because he can't use his left foot and is anchored way back at left back where he doesnt belong. Katsouranis, Tziolis as our central midfielders and abysmal are a major concern because we have the one of the weakest midfields in the tournament------ definitley bottom 5.

I found the only system that can possibly work for this group of 23, where we can reasonably attack and still cover our defensive arses, with competence in the correct positions..

Giourkas-Toro-Ninis right flank?!? Yes. Spyropoulos supporting Samaras on the left (who HAS a left foot and can make crosses) Yes......Papastathopoulos protecting the crap back line in the midfield --- KEY.

-------------------Tzorvas---------------------------

Seitaridis------Kyrgiakos------Moras-------Spyropoulos

--------------------Papastathopoulos----------------

--------------Torosidis--------Tziolis/Prittas/Kats-----------

----Ninis--------------------------------Samaras-----

------------------Gkekas-----------------

Here is what we will see----- this is my honest 'bet' of what Otto will do:

------------------------Tzorvas-------------------------------

Seitaridis------Kyrgiakos----Avraam-----Moras----Torosidis

----------------Katsouranis-----Tziolis------------------

Salpiggidis/Xaristeas-------------------------------------Samaras

---------------------Gkekas------------------------

We will have no back line, no midfield, leaving Gkekas and Samaras trying to do everthing on their own.

I didnt mean to ---- Torosidis would be the saving grace and very transformation of this team if he was allowed to take Katsouranis spot in the midfield, because that is where he belongs. My point is, hes TOTALLY not a left side player, his game and his potentital really are being held back quite a lot, its not like hes bad----

its just that had we a left footed player there, we could have a more dangerous team, because being left footed on the left side opens up a lot of options, which yesterday numerous times Torosidis was forced to awkwardly stop and use his right to send a cross from the left side which leads to worse crosses, more offsides, and slowing our offense down, as opposed to if he was on the right, he could drive possesion inwards---- he cant do that from the left, because he has NO LEFT.

Torosidis totally belongs in the central midfield over Katsouranis, its just not fair, not only do we strongly need

Torosidis to have as much of his potential and contributions on the field

A LEFT FOOTED left back (Spyropoulos/Tzavellas)

but we NEED KATSOURANIS OUT ON TOP OF THAT.....

Giourkas was one of our better players yesterday---hes definitley not our concern. Torosidis is the bigger concern because he can't use his left foot and is anchored way back at left back where he doesnt belong. Katsouranis, Tziolis as our central midfielders and abysmal are a major concern because we have the one of the weakest midfields in the tournament------ definitley bottom 5.

I found the only system that can possibly work for this group of 23, where we can reasonably attack and still cover our defensive arses, with competence in the correct positions..

Giourkas-Toro-Ninis right flank?!? Yes. Spyropoulos supporting Samaras on the left (who HAS a left foot and can make crosses) Yes......Papastathopoulos protecting the crap back line in the midfield --- KEY.

-------------------Tzorvas---------------------------

Seitaridis------Kyrgiakos------Moras-------Spyropoulos

--------------------Papastathopoulos----------------

--------------Torosidis--------Tziolis/Prittas/Kats-----------

----Ninis--------------------------------Samaras-----

------------------Gkekas-----------------

Here is what we will see----- this is my honest 'bet' of what Otto will do:

------------------------Tzorvas-------------------------------

Seitaridis------Kyrgiakos----Avraam-----Moras----Torosidis

----------------Katsouranis-----Tziolis------------------

Salpiggidis/Xaristeas-------------------------------------Samaras

---------------------Gkekas------------------------

We will have no back line, no midfield, leaving Gkekas and Samaras trying to do everthing on their own.

If you have Moras and Soto vs the koreans ...those plodders will have 2 yellows each by half.

You cant play stand still vs them

Lineup:

..............................Tzorvas............................

Giourkas........Socrates............Soto.............Spyropoulos

.............................Katsouranis....................................

.............Ninis................................Toro........................

Salpi.........................Gekas.....................................Samars

katsouranis is utterly incompetent in that spot...You need Sokratis to clean up. Hes the best defender on the team right now and hes not even playing.....

also, if we're going to play defensive fine...but is it too much to ask least can we have a left back with a left foot so when the time is needed for the sparse offenses we do make, we can have some strength and options? Can we at least use Torosidis to upgrade the horrendous midfield where he belongs, seeing as we've got more than adequate even superior options at LB in Spyropoulos and Tzavellas (superior because they can play left footed)

Here are Tzavellas assists from the season....Cleary a gifted set peice taker, also a solid left back, and hes not on the team for no good reason, because we have a talented right footed CM playing LEFT BACK, while we have Central mifielders who can barely walk on the team, playing central midfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i2qLqcvKx4

Wouldn't Otto's defensive strategy be tons more realistic with a player like this delivering balls in? I say yes. Put him in, move Torosidis up to midfield over Katouranis and you have a side thats actually capable of getting RESULTS with the defensive mentality....Ninis is our top set peice taker and hes only ok. Karagkounis is horrid, and oh ----thats all we have, and were basing a strategy reliant on set peices to give us the breaks to take points....

Archived