Phantis Forums

Greece - Luxembourg

dark_horse

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the fact that we are even the least bit worried about Lux speaks louder than anything else.......given the magniude of the game, and the emphasis that PRIDE should dictate, we should crush them 5-0......thats what SHOULD happen, but knowing this team, it wont

“For me, I think I’d prefer if it is Greece,” said Ireland’s assistant manager in Malahide yesterday. “They are a little like us, they are very passionate and a little less technical. They won the European Championships and showed us all that in football anything is possible but I think now they are the team for us.

continuing lack of respect for the NT..........seems like nobody is afraid of playing Greece...

It is not lack of respect only,if Greece gets the second spot in the group, we will be placed in the strong team group and teams like Ireland will be facing 1 of this teams,Portugal,France,Russia or Greece.Which one would you pick if you were them?

And then there were two. Just two automatic tickets to the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ South Africa remain available from the European Zone ahead of Wednesday's final round of qualifiers, and while Switzerland and Greece will vie for top spot in Group 2, Slovakia and Slovenia are set to do likewise in Group 3. The two eventual section winners will join Denmark, Germany, Spain, England, Italy, Serbia and the Netherlands in the finals next summer.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1...ts+offer+europe

crazy, with all due respect, it can be looked at as nothing otter than lack of respect....most comments go something like this: "well we need to focus on our game, and worry about our game and we will be ok, the opponent does not matter, you know, blah blahblah"..... the normal neutral comments....but when you are singled out like that and say you PREFER to play Greece, it does NOT speak to how strong the other teams are (Russia, Portugal, etc.) but how beatable you think Greece is......our guys need to get fired up at those words make make that guy eat "Em....

normally the comments should say "all the teams are capable of beating anyone on any day, so we have to be at our best"....

the fact that he is right is besides the point...but to annoounce that to the qorld and not be afraid to look like a fool speaks very loudly as to Greeces stature as a team and footballing nation....

its all about the results on teh pitch...so they can control peoples perception...how? not by tying moldova 1-1 in such a crucial game....(not ot mention a bunch of other baroufes)

All Greek sports media outlets are today reporting that Otto has lost control of the team...the players apparently took matters into their own hands at half time versus Latvia...and turned things around...there are rumours circulating he may even quit Greece after this game on Wednesday....interesting

Did anyone else read the interview Pliatsikas gave to contra.gr?

In Greek:

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/World/WorldCup...ece/252237.html

Very damming comments regarding Greek football and its future...

Sorry about the negatives people...

we are all behind the Ethniki 100%!!!

Lets hope all issues get ironed out...its a positive that players are expressing their thoughts

:box:

I think its great that the players are standing up to this nonsense; nothing will change if they don't. Ottos comments after Euro 08 were extremely demoralising and dead wrong; Euro 04 wasn't a f ucking miracle or luck, it was hard work, organisation and team spirit. If he believes Greece does not have the talent to advance to a WC final, he needs to get out as soon as possible. Why in the world would you keep someone who thinks that way?

Pretty much this:

*Many Greeks talented players are lost in the system b/c teams prefer to pay foreigners thinking that the "name" is better. He is a defensive midfielder, but he consistently gets used as a back in Greece. Kind of like Torosidis. Torosidis should be playing midefield not back.

*Greece is no longer producing players like they should. Coaches are too concerned about being fired that they go for the result, even in developmental ages.

*Teams in Greece have no clue how to "deal" with players in the selling, bying market. He cannot believe AEK only got 300,000 Euro for him. If he did not leave AEK, he would be worried about playing as a loan player for the rest of his life.

*The fans kill for their teams in Greece. In Germany, fans might disagree, but they do it civily. He blaims the teams and the state for not improving the conditon or lack of hooliganism.

*He never wants to go back to play in Greece after what great conditions he experienced in Germany. The team supprts the player and the fans support their national team.

*He used Ninis as an example of how teams mess up talent in Greece.

Bravo Pliatsikas for speaking out on this!

i love the fact the every country wants to play us in the playoffs, they may not be scared of us, but they will certainly take us lighter then what they would against france or portugal...

They wont take it easy as such but because they probably got the weakest seeded team they will think they can progress without much effort...

AEK Adelaide...this may be true

If I am not mistaken, the game between swiss and israel starts 1 hour earlier to the Greece game...?

Greece should not score for first 30-40 minutes...hehehe

Re AEK Adelaide....your not a Nick by any chance?

I live in Adelaide also filarako :tup:

Excellent Comment. I don't know if FIFA will allow games of the same group being played at different times but if we play later we should definitely keep to a draw until the Swiss-Isreal game finishes! I know that we are not a team capable of scoring against another when we want but it won't help us if the Israelis know that we are winning against Luxembourg.

It is an interesting conclusion to the qualifiers, but I am sorry that we went up to the point to depend on others for automatic qualification from this group and with these opponents.

We will all forget about it if we eventually make it to the WC, otherwise I predict an eruption of anger against coach (deservingly so) and some players.

I wish I could see Ninis playing in South Africa....

If I am not mistaken, the game between swiss and israel starts 1 hour earlier to the Greece game...?

Excellent Comment. I don't know if FIFA will allow games of the same group being played at different times but if we play later we should definitely keep to a draw until the Swiss-Isreal game finishes! I know that we are not a team capable of scoring against another when we want but it won't help us if the Israelis know that we are winning against Luxembourg.

It is an interesting conclusion to the qualifiers, but I am sorry that we went up to the point to depend on others for automatic qualification from this group and with these opponents.

We will all forget about it if we eventually make it to the WC, otherwise I predict an eruption of anger against coach (deservingly so) and some players.

Confirmation: No they all play at the same time; in that case we should just score one goal and play the ball along the centre of the pitch, waiting for Israel to score !!!

Confirmation: No they all play at the same time; in that case we should just score one goal and play the ball along the centre of the pitch, waiting for Israel to score !!!
FIFA website list Swiss/Isreal 20:00 and our game at 21:00?

UK chris, genome's sig has a huge list of free and pay sites to stream, I use videosport.com - Its €5 for a live match. so far I have had no troubles with it and the streams are as good as the TV. HOWEVER the reason i like it is there is usually NO commentary!!! but i hate listening to arseholes patronise the teams i support,

FIFA website list Swiss/Isreal 20:00 and our game at 21:00?
True but don't forget the one hour difference between Greek and Swiss time and I think your quoted times are local, so the games will start simultaneously. It will be a nail-biting evening.

I was watching sky sports news and Otto said that Luxembourg is a good counter-attacking team and that Greece will have to play clever to avoid the trap.

He said Luxembourg "plays as good on the road as they do at home" and their formation of 9-0-1 (9 defenders on defense) can be a challenge. It will be a change from the style that Latvia played against Greece and could produce a lower scoring game than it was between Greece and Latvia.

With that kind of formation, it should be interesting to see how the game takes shape early. Luxembourg has to be careful not to give Greece unnecessary set piece chances close to goal with their amount of men in the defense area. This is probably the key to the match as that will make it hard for Greece to make short passes near the penalty box.

The possession ratio could also be key to this match. Will Luxembourg be able to pass the ball up the pitch and threaten to score or will the majority of the match be in the Luxembourg zone? Switzerland scored their first two goals against Luxembourg from set pieces on Saturday. Luxembourg will have to be keen to take good angles and not give away fouls against Greece if they want to compete in Athens.

After giving up 3 early goals to the Swiss over the weekend, will that wake up call be an asset or a detriment to Luxembourg?

In other news, it seems that the Swiss team has a flu virus going around and they will be missing some of their starters. I heard there will be a different goalie in net for the Swiss today against the Israelis.

Almost gametime folks! Lets hope to see some great football today!

Archived