Phantis Forums

Champions league on ESPN?

Does anybody know why ESPN doesnt show any champions league game, like it used to? I remember they had the rights for 3-4 years but they didnt broadcast any games and not scheduled for any this week? I noticed fox sports will show Manchester vsWolfsburg today, how about the rest of the games?

ESPN lost the rights to the Champions League last year. As of this season (start of new contract) FOX & Setanta have exclusive rights to the Champions League in the US. Fox has been airing games on the regional sportsnet channels (FSN) as well as Fox Soccer Channel.

Also, DirecTV will be airing matches on some of their PPV channels, these will be available FREE to all subscribers.

ESPN is one of the most popular channels in the USA. I'm also surprised that they gave up the rights to CL matches. Fox has poor quality, but a plus is that they use the British announcers instead of those Canadians. Another plus is that they show most CL matches, either live or delayed.Nothing against Canadians, but they aren't good at commentating on football matches. They're good for hockey and maybe the international snowmobile race, but that's it. If I owned a TV station I might hire a Canadian to comment on the dog sled race if for some reason I had nothing else to show, but that's in Alaska, and I hear they have some sort of rivalry with each other so it might get ugly.

I probably went off on a tangent, but I think it's ridiculous that Canadians are in charge of all CL viewership in the USA, as well as a lot of other leagues while ESPN shows the "World Series of Poker" like every night. I can't wait till Bingo and Tic-Tac-Toe become "World Sports" so I can record it and watch all the exciting moments on instant replay.

Fox has poor quality, but a plus is that they use the British announcers instead of those Canadians. Another plus is that they show most CL matches, either live or delayed.Nothing against Canadians, but they aren't good at commentating on football matches. They're good for hockey and maybe the international snowmobile race, but that's it.

Not sure where your getting your info but what Canadian announcers are you talking about?! There are no soccer announcers in Canada, care to provide some names?! I guess its true what they say about Americans- dog races, seriously man?! :blink: :rolleyes:

As for ESPN, did you ever stop to think that maybe they weren't interested anymore or that they weren't will to pay the asking price for the rights?! If I am not mistaken, English Premiership matches get higher ratings than than any other soccer in North America including Champions League, this is not Europe. Why would they pay ridiculous amounts of money for something that does not attract a major league audience?! Face it, soccer is and always will be a niche sport in N. America.

:gr:

• 2 weeks later...

bluestriker thanks for the nice laugh you gave me. I agree with you, most likely kremala will be on soon. No wonder espn deportes is free on cable nowadays. The quality of fox is terrible not even HD. Thank God I have mytv for champions league and uefa cup.

While I agree that espn will be showing us kremala soon to complain about Fox's picture quality and then say you watch it using mytv's streaming kind of defeats the purpose of complaining about picture quality. FSC has stated that they have a full HD channel in the works for Jan 2010 so all games of round of 16 should be in full HD, although it remains to be seen if they can actually meet that date and what cable companies will pick the channel up even if they do. Here is what is available live this week for both the CL & Europa League. I would suggest getting direct tv if possible - I know I would if I could.

Tuesday October 20

Liverpool vs Lyon - "Your regional sports network" (in HD) - MSG+ in NY

AZ vs Arsenal - Setanta Sports USA

Inter Milan vs Dynamo Kyiv - FOX Soccer Channel

Barcelona vs Rubin Kazan - DirecTV (HD) and FOX Sports en Espanol

Debrecen vs Fiorentina - DirecTV (HD)

Rangers vs Unirea - DirecTV (HD)

Stuttgart vs Sevilla - DirecTV (HD)

Olympiacos vs Standard de Liege - DirecTV (HD)

Wednesday October 21

CSKA Moscow vs Manchester United - 12:30pm ET - FOX Soccer Channel

Real Madrid vs AC Milan - FOX Soccer Channel and FOX Sports en Espanol

Chelsea vs Atletico de Madrid - Setanta Sports USA

Bordeaux vs Bayern Munich - DirecTV (HD)

Juventus vs Maccabi Haifa - DirecTV (HD)

Zurich vs Marseille - DirecTV (HD)

Porto vs APOEL - DirecTV (HD)

Wolfsburg vs Besiktas - DirecTV (HD)

UEFA Europa League - Match Day 3 (Thursday October 22) - US TV

1pm ET kickoff

Benfica vs Everton - GolTV (mirror: DirecTV ch. 470)

Lazio vs Villarreal - DirecTV (delayed to 8pm ET on GolTV)

7 additional matches live on DirecTV (HD)

3:05pm ET kickoff

Fulham vs Roma - GolTV (mirror: DirecTV ch. 470)

8 additional matches live on DirecTV (HD)

DirecTV matches (all LIVE) - times ET

1:00pm - 4:00pm UEFA soccer mix (Ch. 461 & 461-1)

1:00pm S.S. Lazio - Villarreal (Ch. 462 & 462-1)

1:00pm Athletic Bilbao - CD Nacional (Ch. 463 & 463-1)

1:00pm Austria Wien - Werder Bremen (Ch. 464 & 464-1)

1:00pm Shakhtar Donetsk - Toulouse (Ch. 465 & 465-1)

1:00pm Steaua Bucuresti - Fenerbahçe (Ch. 466 & 466-1)

1:00pm PSV Eindhoven - FC København (Ch. 467 & 467-1)

1:00pm BATE Borisov - AEK Athens (Ch. 468 & 468-1)

1:00pm FC Salzburg - Levski Sofia (Ch. 469 & 469-1)

3:05pm Valencia - Slavia Praha (Ch. 462 & 462-1)

3:05pm Celtic - Hamburger SV (Ch. 463 & 463-1)

3:05pm Lille Métropole - Genoa (Ch. 464 & 464-1)

3:05pm Galatasaray - Dinamo Bucuresti (Ch. 465 & 465-1)

3:05pm AFC Ajax - Dinamo Zagreb (Ch. 466 & 466-1)

3:05pm FK Ventspils - Sporting Clube (Ch. 467 & 467-1)

3:05pm Panathinaikos - Sturm Graz (Ch. 468 & 468-1)

3:05pm Hertha Berlin - Heerenveen (Ch. 469 & 469-1)

Fox Soccer is a horrible channel. They have terrible, horrific, irritating commentary, stale, UGLY feel to the whole channel its crew and the picture quality is bad.

An HD channel is a good start, but for f*** sake kick out those worthless Canadians who have been around for decades.....I mean now that the channel is growing and all, time to make some firings.

They need to get guys like they have on ITV in Britain. WAY better, by miles....

I'm glad I don't watch my CL on their horrible network, at least for now.

Not sure where your getting your info but what Canadian announcers are you talking about?!  There are no soccer announcers in Canada, care to provide some names?!  I guess its true what they say about Americans- dog races, seriously man?! :blink:  :rolleyes:

Jeremy "The Gay" St. Louis needs to be cut off from FSC. No need to keep Canadian amateurs commenting on soccer matches. Now, if he's NOT Canadian, then he needs some serious speech therapy classes for pronouncing the word "about" as "A-boot" :LOL: Only Canucks are allowed to speak this way.

The one blonde chick is not a great commentator, but I'll give her a pass since she has a nice hairstyle.

As for Direct TV, yes I would like to have it too. That soccer lineup would keep me busy all year long.

• 1 month later...

So if I understood well, Direct tv is showing all the CL games free for this season only what exactly they say? Has anyone contacted them to confirm it? Are they going to be on PPV or it is free, also I believe that all games are provided in HD? How come Dishnetwork doesn't provide the same service, anyone knows?

From what I've seen so far on satellite, Direct TV has "UEFA" channels that show all CL games live. As for digital cable viewers such as myself, CL will only be broadcast on Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Espanol, and Fox Sports Network (or something like that depending on where you live, it may be called something different). Basically, on digital cable, Fox owns the rights to CL. I don't have satellite, so I can't say for sure which channels will broadcast it on satellite. I haven't seen any CL on ESPN for the 2009-2010 season.

Here is some more information for the games on DirecTV: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/spor...ooternavtype=-1

From the site, it says:

Catch 68 UEFA Champions League matches, 153 UEFA Europa League matches, including the final, and at least three La Liga matches every round, at no extra charge, only on DIRECTV.......See multiple matches on one screen with DIRECTV's exclusive Soccer Mix Channel ........The remaining matches are available with the SPORTS PACK and Setanta Sports subscriptions.

It seems that they air a number of them for free on these dedicated channels, while the rest are aired on channels part of their sports packages.

Looking at their schedule on that page, it seems AZ vs Olympiacos CL was aired free on the 24th. Looking at upcoming EL games, it looks like they will air AEK Athens FC (GRC) vs Everton FC (ENG) free on December 2.

Here is a screen shot of their "soccer mix channel" from that page:

Posted Image

Looks like great coverage overall. :tup:

Archived