Phantis Forums

Moldova - Greece

dark_horse

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

given the totality of the circumstances, this is probably one of the lowest points in greek soccer in recent memory.....

and that a**hole who got beat on the moldova goal should be shot.....never put on the uniform again.....every time that malake comes in he blows an asssigment......

I thought we played well during most of the match, really aggressive and on top of the ball. Unfortunately, we couldn't find many openings. Otto is the problem on so many levels. Same bad tactical choices as against the Swiss. Why did Otto take out Karagounis and put in Amanatidis at the 80th? Why keep in Charisteas for 90 minutes? He should have used all three substitutions and packed the midfield to get the desired result. He is senile. There is no reason why we should keep giving up our advantage at the final 10 minutes of play. Period.

We are still in the same position we were yesterday, so all hope is not lost. As to the comment abt Moldova's players being butchers when not playing soccer, this is nonsense. They are a very stubborn team at home and have pulled many shockers in teh past. Remember Turkey EURO 2008 qualifiers? Otto should have not put in so many forwards when we were up 1-0 at 82nd minute and Swiss and Latvia tied. Stupid move!!

This team sucks.... Why even bother with the WC? Were going to be eliminated prematurely and embarassed again.

Total crap. Rehagel needs to leave and the new generation has to come in, it must happen by the end of this season. We cannot have 2 more years of Rehagel and his nonsense decisions.

He's not doing awful, but things like insisting on Xaristeas (who once again was HORRENDOUS as he has been for 5 years now over Salpi who has been scoring for PAO and also --- PLAYING for PAO. Xaristeas was quite awful. It was a joke that he played instead of GKEKAS in Switzerland too.

It really is an insult to all Greek footballers, that players are secured spots in stone despite years of awful performances.

Katsouranis has no business on a wing. Crap. Karagkounis should have gone there. Even Ninis would have been better there. Our youth system has had talent over years and all of it goes lost and none integrated into the senior team.

I think in the next generation with another season of first team football we should see Ninis and Mitroglou in the mix.

Its really better to take chances with the youth at this point. Were not finding results anyways, we may as well be adding future experience in the process (assuming that the younger gens cant pull results which I'd disagree with)

Anyways, I'm 90% certain Greece is not going to the World Cup. Hopefully that will lead to a new coach. We are overdue. Rehagel did good and did all he could acheive. Its time for change now.

Agree with all comments here...this is totally unacceptable, the EPO, coaches and players need to sit down and make some changes and put all issues on table...Team Manager fyssas after the game was quoted as saying he does not like some things that are happening in the team....and did not elaborate further...

From a national team and fan perspective the team has let itself, the nation and its fans down....

From a big picture perspective (here are the positives mangas hahaha), we are still in for qualification AND many a major european teams are also struggling in 2nd spot or in 3rd spot...

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries...ings/index.html

France, Portugal, Russia, czechs and turkey are in the same boat

scotland (ok no powerhouse) is out on last match day at home!!! They needed a god damn point...and couldnt do it

In closing, I agree with the fans though, very dissapointing, teams needs new blood and new direction...all problems must be ironed out by next months!!!

Exoume kseftilisti! :o

Paidia....I say PAIDIA....just to put somethings in perspective....we drew 1 - 1 against a team that just 4 days earlier drew at home 0 - 0 to Luxembourg. The very Luxembourg that got pumped and dumped tonight by our cousins with the komena tsoutsounia 7 - 0!!!! 7 ZIP! That

What does that tell you???

A quick show of hands from those that want Otto voted off the island? Hmm I thought so....who are those with their arms folded? blaming the over 30 year old players who are mentally and physically spent!

guys Otto has to go.....like the phoenix (NOT the Wellington Phoenix) rising from the ashes we will be reborn better and stronger....but for now while this dead fish keeps going with the rivers flow...we just have to laugh! :D

From European champions....kings of the world.....like Di Caprio we too metaphorically nailed Kate Winslet in 2004....now we are a laughing stock and a joke where part time cleaners and cobblers are upstaging us.

At least my Croatian koumbaro won't give me any lip now that the pommy Geezers beat them 5 -1. :LOL:

ZHTW ELLAS :gr:

ladies and gentlemen - please ponder this....

for over 80 years greece has been part of the international football scene...and for 80 years, with the exception of 2004, the team has produce mixed results....mediocre at best.....

Until GREECE becomes a respected footballing NATION, the national team will never be considered a respected and feard team....it starts from the top...

the most recent example:

Żewłakow: We can beat Greece in the play-offs

Written by Mika Jenssen (Polish SOCA! NY) Wednesday, 09 September 2009 10:06

Zewlakow believes in qualifcation

Despite a very difficult situation in Poland's World Cup qualifying group, our national team has yet to lose hope for the qualification to the World Cup. Poland team captain Michal Zewlakow believes that the Bialo-czerwoni will land second place in the group and will play with Greece in the determining play-offs.

"If this match against Slovenia results in a good result for us, then I believe there is still a very good chance of us making it to the World Cup." believes Zewlakow.

"This is the way I see it, we take second place in the group and play Greece in the playoffs. The first match we will win in Poland, and the rematch will be at the stadium of Olympiacos. And it will be there that we will enjoy the success of qualification. This is only my own prediction, but it allows me to think positively." the Polish team captain added.

if this dumb po=lock can sit there in the press and basically piss all over the national team, what does that tell you about the respect (or lack thereof) that exists for this team....??????

like i said in an earlier post, if i was on this team and we met poland this guy would get the poitd part of my elbow right in the solarplexes......thats how we roll in my leauge...

Despite Otto's crazy tactics in recent years I've defended Otto of late. Particularly after the game away in Switzerland where we played very well considering the circumstances. So why on earth does he change the formation for tonight's game? I can understand making a couple of alterations due to form, i.e. possibly bring in Samaras/Gekas over Haristeas and Karagounis for Amanatidis, etc. But why change from 3-4-3 to the typ of 4-3-3 we saw at Euro 2008? Why take Papasta out and keep Patsa in? Why bring Tziolis in?

He was a great manager and has given us some wonderful moments. Moments that I'll remember for as long as I live. However all things come to an end. The mere fact that he called up Ninis for these 2 games, before releasing him to the u-21s after the Swiss game proves that he doesn't know what he's doing. I love the man but he's lost his bearings and he must go. Unfortunately if he leaves now who do we bring in at such short notice? It will only disrupt the squad. He should see this qualification period and then that's it.

My observations regarding the ethniki (not just tonight but in general are as follows):

= Players like Tziolis, Avraam and Patsa are not good enough for international football. Tziolis has no mobility; Avraam is just terrible, the new Anatolakis as another poster once said here; and Patsa is too old now.

= Haristeas can be useful as a squad player or when playing with 2 up front but not in any of the formations Rehaggel uses.

= Karagounis cannot play in centre-midfield, he's too old and lacks the pace to influence the game. The game simply passes him by. He has to either play off the left (as he has for PAO on numerous occassions, or off the front man)

= We are at our best with a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3 formation (depending on the opposition). This is because we are solid in the central defensive area while still having a presence in midfield. 4-3-3 (that Otto loves) cannot work with the players he uses because we don't have natural wingers. Hence we either become flat and fall into a 4-5-1 becuase of our lack of pace and width. Or we end up with a disjointed team (as if we're playing 3 defensive midfielders and 3 strikers with nothing in between).

= It's time for Ninis, Mitroglou, and Mantzios to be given a fair chance. While Papastathopoulos must start. We simply don't have the depth to make wholesale changes, but with 3 or 4 changes we can refreshen the squad.

Otto is clearly unable to recognise or address these issues and so he must go in my opinion. Bajevic or Santos would be the logical replacements but not before the playoffs.

euro, if u see this why does otto not see it? especially if its so clear to you....

not defending / supporting either one of you...just curious...

remember its pick your poison.....old/experience vs. youth and iexperience...each one has shortcomings....the problem is (and this is typical of greeks in general) that if "second guessing" was an olympic sport greece would win a gold medal everytime....

look at the thread...people clamoring for more offense, more offenswe, so when otto does it (like today when he brought in soe offensive guy), people on the thread start crticizing the move saying "oh, why not stay defensive"......yet, when he is trying to preserve alead and packs the defense you hear stufff lie "ah, we need more offense"....its bullsh*t....really....

i think in these two games otto made the more or less the correct moves.....its not his fault these P L A Y E R S cant finsih..... we haad ssssssssssssooooooo many chances today, its was incredible....so much space to maneuver, even up to the top of the box....is it his fault haristea cant tie his own shoes? thatis the one excpetion, haristea should not be anywhere near the goal with the ball....his work rate is great put him in the defensive midfield of something where he can bother the other teams forwards.......and for araam, that guy suck*, plain and simple.....go watch the replay....his reaction time was abysmal...

but still the players take the blame...they are just not that good....what else can otto do? kick the ball in for them?

otto has his faults, and trusat me, i normally scratch my head with alot of the stuff he does....but these two games i thought he did a decent job....he put players in teh position to win these games,,,thats all a coach can do....from there the players have to produce.....

compare this with the sweden game where otto takes most of the blame...players were put in a postion to fail, and he was out coached.......but not these two games...

all it takes is one split second of lapse in concentration and BOOM, u saw it in switzerland and you saw it here as well

omonia, go back and look at teh replay and freeze frame it on their goal....u will see three guys and the goalie frozen like statues...the goal scorer started his run abiut 5 meters from where he actually hit the ball in, and made ran past one guy (?) hard left past avraam the idiot and then they all reacted.....avraam got undressed, the goalie did not move, but i dont know who the other gy was that was passed first.....either way it was a very clever and unexpected play, espcially since kyriagos headed the ball out high in the air and the passer immediately volleyed it to the scorer........

normally when the defense heads it out of the zone, all the defenders feel they are out of immediate danger for the immediate momment, but not the case here.....dont know if the first defender was to follow him in to the box, or they played it by zone...

Archived