Phantis Forums

Switzerland - Greece

dark_horse

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Otto even have any sleeves? This is kind of twisted because...if we lose, people will get angry and he'll have more pressure on him to finally leave which will be good. On the other hand if we advance, I just can't see us putting in a good performance; it would be similar to 1994. So I want to advance but its really pointless if the team plays like crap. Do we want to embarass ourselves in front of the whole world?

We already did that in front of Europe in Euro 2008. That game vs. Sweden is something I'll never forget with the endless passing in the backline. What were they thinking? SHAME! NTROPI!

I always want to see my team do well ... but it's true Clover. I'm afraid it might be for the better if we lose from Switzerland and lose out on WC2010, as sad as that may be. But the worse part is that I wouldn't even be too sure of Otto getting fired or leaving, even then ... The man has given us a fantastic victory in 2004 and we will be forever grateful but it's time to move on, something he can't obviously... :(

This falls on the EPO who dont have the Stones to tell Otto that some of his selections will not be put up with.

Keepers: Chalkias is weak ,Tzorvas does not even get 1st team club action.. I thought Sifakis had a nice bounce back season after his Oly trial. From what I read on these boards if anything we have young up and comers. What happened to Kotsolis??

Backline: Giourkas can not be called for this game he has no club he will not be fit,Vyntra is not for the Ethniki as well. Kyriakos is looking worst every game. I am hoping for Papstathopolos and Moras to start...Fyssas ksipna kai kalese to Tavlaridis or at least you dress.

Strikers : Do we need 6 ..Lybe Charisteas should not be called again. I am happy with Samaras Amanatidis Gekas and Salpi.

Mids: Do we have any wing play ,please do not say Nini the guy cant crack PAO lineup, he should be with the squad but on the bench. Patsa's time to turn in his fanela has come. I believe Makos( now with the squad) and Fotakis should have had sniffs much earlier.Looks like Lagos injury killed his potential.

I believe this gap between 2004 and now has to do with all the small clubs dumping young talent to the big 3 and then they rot on the bench..Galitsios Lagos Christodoulopoulos,Melissis,Dimoutsos,Leontiou,Mendrinos,Tziolis (finally escaped),Sifakis,Pliatsakas (see Tziolis)..I see that Koutsianikoulis is not getting 1st team action either. Some of these kids should be here...look at other countries who field young pups.

They buy these 2nd rate southamericans and washed up brazilians and our youth loses pivotal playing time. The kids are better off staying with their small club or going off to similar caliber leagues that will play them.

Sorry for the rant.

Back to the game Otto will try to squeeze out a tie....I think with the whole we have in goal and the backline he will play 4-5-1 god help us all.

Chalkias

Toro....Socrates...Soto...Spyro

Salp...Karagounis...Katsouranis..Tziolis...Amanatidis

................Samaras....................

Greece has to play for the win!

I don't see even a draw being that good for Greece here. A draw keeps them tied but I think the Swiss wins on the tie-breaking formula.

Greece can't be content with coming in second and becoming part of the 8 teams that will playoff in a subsequent round (only 4 will advance).

There is no guarantee that they won't be the 9th placed team of all the 2nd place finishers either.

Greece needs to play well but also playing for a tie is a mistake in my opinion.

Getting a win is what's required and it's time for the team to step up.

Only 2 weeks until game time.....I hope they are ready.

^^^ Are you aware that the head-to-head competition is the 3rd tiebreaker and that the 1st and 2nd tiebreakers are Goal differential and Goals scored? If Greece ties the Swiss, they are technically ahead still. But I do feel a win is more imperative than a tie beacuse Greece could lose first place due to a lack of offense and not just because of losing points..

^^^ Are you aware that the head-to-head competition is the 3rd tiebreaker and that the 1st and 2nd tiebreakers are Goal differential and Goals scored? If Greece ties the Swiss, they are technically ahead still. But I do feel a win is more imperative than a tie beacuse Greece could lose first place due to a lack of offense and not just because of losing points..

No I didn't realize that.

I thought head to head was the tie-breaker.

Well that's better news for Greece as the pressure will be on the Swiss to move forward. Maybe a lapse on their part and Greece will counter attack.

As mentioned before.....I hope they are ready.

A change for the positive? Possible? :blink:

I doubt it. We saw how bad we were against Poland. Not calling up Dellas and Basinas is one thing, but as long as players that have no business on the team are starting (Tziolis, Avraam, Spyropoulos) and the best players aren't being used correctly, or at all in some cases, (Torosidis, Mantzios, Karagounis) then it makes no difference. We'll still be abysmal.

Paidia o Kurios Otto kai oi EPO mas koroideuoune!

More of the same predicatble faces and style of football. I really don't expect much against Switzerland.

If we win...meh....we might be seeing another depressing WC. If we lose, we might get some "regime" change.

Either way we are in a downward spiral and the people who are in control are not doing anything about it.

We'll wait and see.

FORZA ELLAS

The problem as I see it is that there's 2 extremes. Otto's camp that want just the golden oldies, then those that want just young players. Sorry but we simply don't have the depth to overthrow the whole squad.

Players like Spyropoulos, Tziolis, Avraam, Tzorvas, etc, simply aren't good enough for international football. As a result it's very difficult to find a balance. The fact is we are in the midst of a crisis. We simply don't have the players to compete with the world's top teams. We are in a period of transition. Basinas, Dellas, Seitaridis and Chalkias are either too old or not good enough, but G.Papadopoulos, Papastathopoulos, K.Papadopoulos, Mitroglou, Ninis, et al, aren't quite ready yet. Yes some of them may be good enough to get in the team now but none are ready to take the World Cup by storm.

We're in a difficult period and personally I don't think Otto is the man to guide us through it. I'd just be happy to get to the world cup at this stage.

Players like Spyropoulos, Tziolis, Avraam, Tzorvas, etc, simply aren't good enough for international football. As a result it's very difficult to find a balance. The fact is we are in the midst of a crisis. We simply don't have the players to compete with the world's top teams. We are in a period of transition. Basinas, Dellas, Seitaridis and Chalkias are either too old or not good enough, but G.Papadopoulos, Papastathopoulos, K.Papadopoulos, Mitroglou, Ninis, et al, aren't quite ready yet. Yes some of them may be good enough to get in the team now but none are ready to take the World Cup by storm.

We're in a difficult period and personally I don't think Otto is the man to guide us through it. I'd just be happy to get to the world cup at this stage.

Clealry you didnt watch him at Werder Bremen last year, he broke into a top quality midfield lineup numerous occasions....Tziolis was quite good and has been improving with PAO. Good player and definitley cabable. Underated player, mainly for performances years ago.

Spyropoulos is decent. I'm not his biggest fan, but we don't have too many LBs. He at least plays on a bigger team.

When Tzorvas breaks into a starting spot he will be ready to take the #1 GK with the ethniki. He looked very promising last year. For some reason, people though he was "bad" over a miscommunication with his defenders in that Ergotelis game. That was about it......Because he definitley played up to par in the games he played in including Werder in OAKA. He is sitll young for a keeper.

I'm very pleased to see these slow but certain changes taking place, it's just too bad that he does it now (why not in between Euro2008 and the WC qualifiers?). Anyways good to see some change ... hopefully for the better! :)

Clealry you didnt watch him at Werder Bremen last year, he broke into a top quality midfield lineup numerous occasions....Tziolis was quite good and has been improving with PAO. Good player and definitley cabable. Underated player, mainly for performances years ago.

Spyropoulos is decent. I'm not his biggest fan, but we don't have too many LBs. He at least plays on a bigger team.

When Tzorvas breaks into a starting spot he will be ready to take the #1 GK with the ethniki. He looked very promising last year. For some reason, people though he was "bad" over a miscommunication with his defenders in that Ergotelis game. That was about it......Because he definitley played up to par in the games he played in including Werder in OAKA. He is sitll young for a keeper.

Yeah, that's why they don't want him now. In fact, nobody wants him! He's been unable to find a club and is at PAO unless a last minute deal (aka a desperate panic buy!) comes in :LOL: Spyropoulos is not international quality. The fact that you say "Spyropoulos is decent. I'm not his biggest fan, but we don't have too many LBs. He at least plays on a bigger team." proves my point of Greece not having much talent at the moment. Tzorvas was also horrible against Italy. He looked very shakey on numerous occassions. We just don't have a great squad at the moment

Wow some change ,I would have liked a young striker to get called..I feel Lybe cannot provide much for us on the pitch,Otto must have him there as a Veteran presence.

Hope the boys get a good 3 days of training and go finish the job with a nice 6pts.

I am hoping that Otto plays Patsa or Papastathopoulos( did play some at Genoa last year) at RB I have no faith in Vyntra.

Can Sifakis be a surprise starter?? Why would he carry him are the other 2 injured ??

I believe Otto will play the 1st half very tight 4-5-1 and try to counter..which scares the hell out of me.

Chalkias

Socrates...Moras...Soto....Spyropoulos

Salpi......Katsouranis....Makos....Tziolis....Amanatidis

.........................Samaras................................

This is NOT going to be an easy match what-so-ever... The Swiss players are in MUCH MORE shape than our players and that scares me... The other thing is of-course our injuries and the fact that we're playing away..

I'm guessing that this game is not going to be anything but boring to watch, but lets hope that we get the 3 points if not I would be happy w/ the draw as well..

:gr:

proves my point of Greece not having much talent at the moment.

No, that simply says we don't have depth for an LB.

Tzorvas is fine. I don't remember the Italy match. He's a young keeper, and judging by what we saw at PAO last year he's got big potential.

Xalkias in the blue jersey has done fine. We can manage without a spectacular keeper.

As long as we don't have a keeper like Nikopolidis who creates goals for the other team I'd rather worry about actualy scoring.

Its not like Tziolis is never going to find a club man. Seriously after last season he shouldn't be too worried, he gave a good showing. Who knows what ended up happening with his transfers --- you certainly don't.

From uefa.com

Switzerland will be without the injured Marco Streller for their FIFA World Cup qualifiers at home to Greece and away to Latvia on 5 and 9 September respectively. The 28-year-old suffered ligament damage to his left knee in FC Basel 1893's 2-1 defeat by BSC Young Boys on Sunday. He is also doubtful for his club's UEFA Europa League Group E opener at home to AS Roma on 17 September.

Archived