Phantis Forums

PAO v. Larissa

athinaios

Good assessment Euro. I agree about the fans. PAO fans have a hard time filling the stadium more than a couple of times per season, but they excel at whining a lot :LOL: Truth is, CL ticket or not, the playoffs are a joke and Athenians have many other options for entertainment.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good assessment Euro. I agree about the fans. PAO fans have a hard time filling the stadium more than a couple of times per season, but they excel at whining a lot :LOL: Truth is, CL ticket or not, the playoffs are a joke and Athenians have many other options for entertainment.

Hi Cyberfish. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

I actually love the play-offs, they are exciting and allow the best team to qualify for the CL. The CL group stages mirror the play offs and proving yourself in the play-offs probably means you're better equipped than other teams to do well in the CL. So theorectically it should be good for the fans (major excitement of derbies and the CL as a prize) and for the Greek league. That's my take on it. I mean I've actually booked Wednesday off work as one of my annual holiday days so I can watch the games! :P Think about some of the moments we lived in Europe this year, if we want them again we have to finish 2nd, and with AEK on our tail it's very exciting in my opinion. GERAAAAAAAAA PAO!

Athenians definitely do have other options for entertainment. But still, youd think something as classic as a Greek tragedy would sell more seats in OAKA?

:LOL:

Well, I have to say, the only good thing about the playoffs is that I get to watch more of Panathinaikos.

I agree with Euro2004 that they do add a bit of excitement to an otherwise mundane league. I guess I have made up my mind that the whole season needs to be exciting and not just the end. I think the playoffs don't really give chances to the best team to go to CL, but to the team that's in form at the end and punishes the team that played more games up to that point.

Anyway, we discussed this many times in the past. What makes these last few games exciting is that well-matched teams play all the time, and they have incentive to win. Why not make the whole season like that? It's easy. Reduce the teams to 12. Then everyone has something to play for, and you trim the very weak teams to avoid the multitude of one-side games that make our league so boring. Another benefit is that with 12 teams you concentrate the limited talent pool to less clubs, and you concentrate the fun's attention to fewer stadiums (the clientele is definitely limited in Greece).

I have been thinking lately that 10 teams might be even better. Play three rounds instead of two. First round in neutral ground (get the teams out in neutral small towns to generate excitement), and the other two home/away games. No need for playoffs and we get to play the gavroi three times. What else could be better? The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. :D

Archived