Phantis Forums

PAO - Aris

athinaios

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we really needed a game like that. Yes, we are looking hot, yes we scored 7 in 5 days against Pantrax in Komotini but to score 4 again, and against Aris in particular, is a huge boost for our confidence. This is great.

PS: Oh man, the Cley goal was pure class! Skafti passa to Ninis for the 1-2, Ninis the perfect pass in space and then Cley with the acceleration and the finish - left-footed too. This is quality.

Ruka is 22... With him and Ninis, Simao, Spyropoulos, Cleyton, Mattos (hope he stays), Iv (same), Moon, Mantzios and now David (all of them under or at 25) we have a very solid basis for the future. Not to mention that so many others are around 27 (Gabriel, Salpi, Tzorvas etc). Btw, we remain undefeated for the 16th consecutive game in all contests.

I think we'll beat Aris one way or another. Maybe we'll finally get a penalty we don't deserve.... :LOL:    even though we won't need it!

Who wants to make money? I'll start chewing on those leaves again... :P

Good thing I showed up for the second half... :LOL: :LOL: 'cause you guys weren't applying enough pressure....

This was a game worth paying to watch.

I agree, Clayton, Ninis, and Ruka give another dimension. As I've maintained all along, we don't need another striker, just a couple defenders. We also have Petro and Xpoulos.

The other 2 things I want from this season is to beat Villareal and gavroi. :tup:

This was a joy to watch. 4 goals, many chances, comfortable win and we even got to try some formations and concepts after the game was put away.

After the 4th goal Panathinaikos looked like they were practicing their "keep away" game by turning the ball around and moving forward in a controlled manner.

While the story of the game is the production of 4 goals for the first time in the SuperLeague competition this year, it's noteworthy that Panathinaikos' defense was once again formidable and did not allow a skilled Aris squad to have more than a couple of low-precentage efforts at goal all game long.

THE PLAYERS

Galinovic 8

He had one nice save in the one dangerous shot that came near the goal, and was steady and alert all game long.

Nilsson 8

Good work to negate any attempt by Aris on his side, and good support down the right where he found some good chemistry with Ninis on several quick combination plays.

Spyropoulos 7

He was really good defensively but was not as aggressive down the left as Nilsson was on the right.

Sariegi 8

Sariegi won just about every personal battle he was involved in, and he is showing that the first few games of the season were just an exception to his usually exceptional defensive play. It might take a long time to win the trust of the fans again, but he is certainly working hard towards that goal.

Vintra 9

He was a rock on defense and even helped on offense in the first half as he had a few efforts in the box during set pieces.

Simao 9

In the multitude of exceptional performance by just about everyone, Simao managed to distinguish himself with amazing play in midfield. He was all over the place, cutting down any offensive attempt by Aris and distributing the ball quickly to the open player.

Gilberto 9

Gilberto was class today. He did an amazing job defensively, and he won the crowd's applause several times with skillful plays to release himself from tight spots.

Karagounis 9

It looked like Karagounis was about to have another one of his usually frustrating games where he runs a lot and the squanders the ball at the last moment, but in the second half he showed why he is the leader of this team. He scored with confidence the penalty that Gilberto won, and a few minutes later he put the game away with a purely personal goal where he did a great job to find himself open in the box, and to unleash a nice shot to beat the keeper in the near post.

Ninis 9

Ninis is only 19 and he is special. His clear vision of the field is something that can't be taught. He served two assists to Roukavina and Cleyton, and was good down the right all game long. To add to his offensive production, he ran a lot and helped in every aspect of the game.

Manzios 7

He was unlucky his shot was stopped by an outstretched arm on the line, but he was good holding the ball and fighting hard with Aris' CBs. His substitution was more a result of changing tactics that called for a faster forward and less the result of his overall performance.

Salpigidis 5

He was his usual fighting self, but he did not find any space to attack because the ball was constantly played in Aris' box and the entire Aris defense was compressed in that space. He did manage to send in a few dangerous crosses from the right, but it was evident that a taller player was going to be more useful in this kind of game, and Ten Cate was fortunate to have Roukavina available.

Melissis 7

In his third game as a DM Melissis might have found his new position. He did a good job defending and carrying the ball forward and showed that his confidence is elevated with a few nifty dribbles.

Roukavina 8

He scored one more time to prove that he has a special relationship with the goal. What sets him apart is that he is also extremely skilled with the ball, his speed, and his young age. I would not be surprised to see him start the games from now on at the expense of either Mantzios or Salpigidis.

Cleyton 8

He didn't really do much, but he scored a beautiful goal right after he entered the game and for that alone he gets an 8. His overall performance might not be enough to dislodge Karagounis from the starting lineup, but he is getting more and more playing time and it's nice to know that there is such high level competition in the team.

NOTABLE FACTS:

This was the fist game Panathinaikos scored 4 goals in the SuperLeague this season.

Ninis served his 5th converted assist this season. This is one more than Salpigidis who has 4.

Roukavina scored his 5th goal in the Superleague to tie Salpigidis for the first team scorer spot.

Roukavina has scored 5 goals in 11 appearances.

Cleyton has scored 4 goals in 7 appearances.

Roukavina's scoring frequency (at least one goal per appearance) is a respectful 45%, but Cleyton's scoring frequency is an amazing 57%.

Neither Roukavina, nor Cleyton have played an entire 90-minute game.

With these 4 goals Panathinaikos has the best offense in the superleague, and the defense has conceded only one goal in the last five games.

Ten Cate said after the game some obvious things about the team and some of the players:

"

The fourth goal was really interesting. Cleyton scored with his left boot, and he was at the end of a Ninis left-footed assist :tup:

The penalty on Gilberto was clear to me. I don't understand why others (including Varouhas) don't see the player reaching with his leg from behind to clip Gilberto's forward moving leg (that's why it looked like it kicked the grass).

On a similar note, in the case earlier in the first half Gilberto jumped for the header and Neto pushes him in the air with his outstretched elbow. Ok, let's say that we don't care that a penatly was not called, but why does Varouhas call similar plays in such a different way. Ok, don't answer that. We should keep this a PG-13 board :P

A few weeks ago he said the penalty that was called on Dudu in the last minute of the game (remember that) was a penalty because the defender touched Dudu in the back with his outstretched arm, and it doesn't matter if it was hard or soft. He said he doesn't have a "dynamometer".

Today, in Silva's case he said that the defender touches Gilberto but it's not a penalty because he didn't push him hard :blink:

I guess he is just a comedian who can't even string together two correct sentences of Greek.

It doesn't really matter but I am a little annoyed that there is a cloud that Panathinaikos was helped by the ref today.

we were helped by the refs today.. they put the ball at midfield at the start of the match... he should of held onto it... thats the only way we wouldnt of won..

so lets get it straight,,

23rd minute, handball penalty and red card not called.

17th minute hard tackle on ninis wasnt waranted a yellow which combined with the yellow karabelas received in the 31st would of been a red.

yet yesterday, serres should of been playing with 9 cuz of hard tackles.

:(

awesome performance by the lads

Rukavina= Class

Archived