Phantis Forums

Werder- PAO

athinaios

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GreenTitus

I went and saw the highlights again....I'm sorry, but when youre in space, and there is an entire left or right field WIDE OPEN, I dont get impressed when a player slots it through. Thats EXPECTED at this level of play, to look up and elect the option into space. Defensively, Gil did fine. First half he was quite poor on the ball. 2nd half the whole team improved.

A through ball since when is a statistic, is all I want to know. Youre praising Gilberto as if a through ball was some briliance - some are, some are also common sense. Gilberto's were common sense... look around, Werder were pressed forward and space was everywhere, esp on that right side. A player that cant make a through ball in those conditions isnt suited for 1st division football. Thats the truth.

What I can say, I love reasonableness. It's part of what I do for a living and I 've learned to appreciate it as sthing that most people -esp. footballers- lack. My attitude towards sports has always been similar: I love the players who know the basics very well and do things the simple way. In bball, for example, which is my game, I 'm impressed by a good pass or a clever pick way more than by a dunk. That's me, what can I say. And this is why I insist that Gilberto's game was perfect tonight and that we don't even know how to spot, let alone appreciate, what he does on the pitch for us. This is a general comment, not addressed to anybody in particular, because I really feel that we fans need to focus on the real football and support a team which is clearly trying to play some of that in a country that doesn't appreciate it. If HTC and his chaps win the derby they will give themselves a chance to win the trophy but, most importantly, they will give themselves some time to build a solid side. In a country where the opinions of a chubby graduate of an 1-year "sports journalism" school counts as an expert one, this would be the greatest accomplishment.

PS: I 'm not a big 'psuchara' fan, but if Kara's goal was scored by some Brazilian guy nobody 'd ever heard of, everybody would say what a football wizard he is. I was so happy to listen to the Brits -whom I trust when it comes to football- say that PAO was dominant and that some of our players (including Kara, Gilberto and Simao) are top class. When he scored that goal, all they were saying was that, for his class and skill, it was to be expected. Not just a win but one with some good football and no buses in front of goal or 'tabouri'.

PS2: I 'd love to read Dude's opinion as he's always keen to criticise in a nihilistic manner but not too quick to give praise apparently. No offence, of course.

Karagounis' goal was of the highest class.

I agree with GreenTitus in his opinion that if that goal had been scored by some Brazillian or even Frank Lampard then the whole football world would be praising it.

Not that it really matters, but on Australian TV the so-called experts raved about how great all 3 goals were this evening.

Congratulations PAO.

2 Positive results in the next 2 matches and you guys are in the round of 16 of CL.

I was reading the UEFA report

Mantzios = Man of the Match :nw: (among many if I may add)

Clubs Statistics

Bremen Panathinaikos

0 Goals scored 3

6 Shots on target 8

3 Shots wide 4

4 Shots blocked 2

0 Yellow card 0

0 Red card 0

16 Fouls committed 14

8 Corners 2

0 Offsides 6

32' 13'' Ball. Poss. (time) 24' 32''

56% Ball. Poss. (%) 44%

The standings in our Group:

Inter 8

Anorthosis 5

Panathinaikos 4

Bremen 3

Games coming up:

Nov 25/26: Anorthosis-Bremen, Inter-PAO

Dec 9/10: PAO-Anorthosis, Bremen-Inter

Best case scenario for PAO: Win both games, Inter lose or tie at Bremen => PAO first, inter second.

Worst case schenario for PAO: lose both games and Breme wins one of their games => out of Europe.

Next game day is crucial. If we lose in Italy (very possible) and Anorthosis beats Bremen at home, it doesn't matter if we win Ano at home, we'll go to UEFA.

If we manage one point at Milan, and Anorthosis beats Bremen we'll have to beat Anorthosi at home by more than 2 goals to go through to the 16.

If we lose at Inter, and Bremen wins in Cyprus, and then Bremen beats Inter at home, then even if we beat Anorthosi we are toast (go to UEFA) and Anorthosi is even more toast.

Bottom line, everything is wide open, everyone is still in the game and everyone (even Inter can be eliminated mathematically).

I love the Champions League.

Great historic win. :tup:

Best PAO game in a while.

Well played and well deserved.

When the defense is mistake free, we have a chance to show the real potential.

Ten Cate made some good choices:

Playing with three def mids worked fantastic.

Tziolis was a surprise and he was terrific.

The team played under a well thought plan.

Good substitutions helped.

I will be at the osfp derby and hope for one more game like that!

A tie in Cyprus between Bremen-Anorthosi will make things simple.

WE just need a win vs Anorthosi and we are 2nd.

PEACE

I love you guys too and I've never been more happy to be so wrong! :tup: :tup:

How great were the goals? The first was well taken by Mantzios who may finally be developing into a very good player. The second was amazing, enough said. The third came from a text book pass from Gilberto that eventually resulted in a quite a lucky own goal, but who's complaining! It's great to see PAO win like that again. Aside from the goals how did the team actually play?

dude,

it was one of those games that virtually nothing could go against us. everyone notched up a gear and to be honest i dont really think there was anyone there that i thought had a terrible game (maybe nilsson imo was that person).

diego was absolutely marked out of the game but i think at one stage straight after half time diego was favouring the right side for first 10-15 mins which was really the only period we were defending in numbers in our half. i think the coach told him to go the right side in an attempt to have simao dragged out to that side giving more space in the middle but having another two dm's on the park this didnt really help.

galinovic had a few shaky moments but overall i liked how he came out for the punch or the catch which is something i havent seen a pao keeper do for a few games well...it also gives the CB's a "slight" break by having there keeper do some work

i thought werder was also really poor and i expected bit more from them

i think three DM's were mvp in my book, tziolis, simao and gilberto in that order as well

Correcting my earlier post: Fan's Man of the Match was Tziolis and not Mantzios (uefa.com)

I am watching the game again and it's still a beauty.

Rehagel was in the VIP booth and I am sure he noticed Mantzios' form. Heck, he called Pliatsikas, I am pretty sure he'll bring back Mantzios. If he keeps playing like that he is the perfect CF for our 4-3-3 NT. Looking at the last few games, Mantzios looks like a vastly improved player in terms of strength and conditioning. He looks like he has a little more spring on his step.

dude,

it was one of those games that virtually nothing could go against us. everyone notched up a gear and to be honest i dont really think there was anyone there that i thought had a terrible game (maybe nilsson imo was that person).

diego was absolutely marked out of the game but i think at one stage straight after half time diego was favouring the right side for first 10-15 mins which was really the only period we were defending in numbers in our half. i think the coach told him to go the right side in an attempt to have simao dragged out to that side giving more space in the middle but having another two dm's on the park this didnt really help.

galinovic had a few shaky moments but overall i liked how he came out for the punch or the catch which is something i havent seen a pao keeper do for a few games well...it also gives the CB's a "slight" break by having there keeper do some work

i thought werder was also really poor and i expected bit more from them

That's great to know! :tup:

i think three DM's were mvp in my book, tziolis, simao and gilberto in that order as well

Without having seen the game, I agree with you (if that makes sense). Olympiakos caused an upset last season by playing 3 holding midfielders (Stoltidis, Ledesma and Patsa). As long as those dms are willing to break with the ball then I like that system against strong opposition. It may seem negative, but if you play it correctly it's a great system.

I'm also delighted for HTC who I love. I hope his popularity grows even more with a convincing win for PAO over Oly at the weekend.

Ok fellas, Niko is here to give you his thoughts on the game.

I hadnt watched it live, as I was at work. I was following some livescore service, and in between filling out Declarations at source, I would go back and forth in a hidden window and click to see the score. Everytime there was a goal id speed into Phantis to see the remarks. And I'd like to thank Cyber and Genome for their updates. Thanks fellas. Well enough about me and my game experience. Onto the match.

Seriously, I am impressed. I never thought Pao could play that well in such a tough place. Werder drew against Anorthosis in Germany but they missed a bus load of chances. They drew in Italy against Inter 1-1. Then everything fell apart for them. They drew us in Athens in a game that was one of the first signs of our teams capabilities. Luck wasnt on our side, the way it has been for other teams. We went up 2-1, dominated possession, outchanced them , Hit the bar on a screamer from Salpigidis and ended up drawign a game we should of won. But enough of that. Tonight....

We came out in a 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 with 3 DMs. Last season we played many games with 3 DMs and we NEVER looked this good. Tziolis, Gilberto and Simao ABSOLUTELY dominated midfield. I swear to you all, If Tziolis' name was Cruz or Roberto and you all told me he is a new brazilian kid that PAO wants to buy, and this game was the only film we had of him to judge him, he would be worth more then 7 million. Thats how impressive he was. HE gave thorugh balls, helped tons on defence, assisted on the first goal and scored the 3rd. I am speechless. Gilberto was all over. He was composed throughout the game, held the ball when he had to, gave orders during the match, made great runs, gave great passes and even almost scored a goal. SIMAO completely shut down Diego. I mean he gave him Nothing. Wow. This kid just turned 20?

Gilberto did have a few first touch problems and Simao's passing was bad. Nothing to fear though.

Gabirel is a machine. He wasnt the hero in anyway, but man can he dribble and pass. wow.

Kara was a monster. He did it all. Shot, passed, ran, scored and even dedicated his goal to COACH Ten Cate.

Mantzios. What can i say... The kid, when he wants to play, can be absolutely incredible. No joke and all fanatic stuff aside, He is a pure ''talent''. If this kid has Kara's heart, he would be playing in a supreme league right now.

Nilsson. Ah re Nilsson. Stable as a horse. I love this guy. Plays for his team. Defensively was awesome. Two great crosses but wasnt asked to help much offensively.

Spyro. One bad play. Thats all the negative stuff i can say about him. He made slide tackles 'a la'' Fyssas all game long. Was fast in the counter, great one twos.. basically, THATwas the spyropoulo we paid for.

Vyntra... Ax re palikari moy. he made an absolutely disgusting mistake that thankfully Gilberto corrected. I mean.. out of nowhere, without pressure he muffed a kick and could fo caused a breakaway. But now, i Honestly understand why everyone keeps him. All the coaches. And i will tell you. I saw the interview after the match.. THE KID IS THE NICEST GUY AND HAS THE SWEETEST VOICE. Id let him hump my sister.

Sariegui... Ummmm where was THIS sariegui all year long. Hustled... pressed high. Cut down crosses. I mean,, WHERE HAS HE BEEN.

Galino... did ok. wasnt tested much. Looked shaky on a few plays but did the job.

Goumas salpi didnt play that long so ya cant really judge them. but they are a part of this team. so i love them.

Moon came on around the 74th minute and was REALLY dangerous. Flew up the wing at ease, nearly set up Gilberto for the 0-4 and was the catalyst for the 0-3 from the wing. I really like this kid. 21...

About the coach himself, what can i say... He has made this team 10 times more dangerous on offense simply by playing with the ball ont he ground. Like he said in his post game interview, a team takes time to build. You have to teach the players to play with eachother and you have to make them UNLEARN all the bad things they have learned in the past.

The team itself was great. they played with the ball down. no crosses. no long balls. Im sure if DUDE watched this game, he would be absolutely shocked that this is the same PAO team that lost to ergotelis.

At one point, from galinovic to a muffed shot by mantzios there was 28 consecutive passes. I COUNTED THEM. the finishing wasnt great but the set up was OMG. Years and Years i havent watched ANY greek team play like that. Fluent, smooth passing. At times its as if I was watching some other team play. Nothign but good things to say.

Im going to post Extended highlights in a a few minutes.. just got to upload it on youtube.

Later skaters

P.S. I wonder if Oly fans are as confident as they were after the Ergotelis game.... :)

Inter looked atrocious in the back....bad news for PAO to be next....

Anorthosis goals were all 3 total gifts. Inter deserved the win. I am hoping Anorthosis and Bremen go to a tie, this way PAO has Anorthosis in OAKA and with a win could go through!

Maybe when i close my eyes Gilberto does something right. What bothers me, is his total wastes of posessions, and when he has the ball, his decision making is too slow.

A through ball doesnt count as a statistic man. A through ball is common sense football. Maybe Im special and talented and think there easy because there easy for me to spot and complete.

Anyways.......glad to see people noticing what a fantastic addition Simao was to this club. He came as a 19 year old and hes already got maturity of a veteran. Give the kid a new contract, IMO i have been saying since last year, hes unconstestedly the best young DM in Greece.

The three goals against Rapid were a gift!! The three goals aginst Olympiakos were a gift!! THe three goals against Panathnaikos were a gift!! The three goals against Inter were a gift!!! ANd the Three goals we bury the Germans will also be a gift!!!!! End result Anorthosis in the 16 of the Champions League!!!!

maybe the 3 goals anorthosis cops in athens will be a gift as well?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Big words... almost as big as Tsoukalas' prediction that Olympiakos would score 6 against Ano in Greece. I'll say now what I said then... we'll see, we'll see.

Inter looked atrocious in the back....bad news for PAO to be next....

Anorthosis goals were all 3 total gifts. Inter deserved the win. I am hoping Anorthosis and Bremen go to a tie, this way PAO has Anorthosis in OAKA and with a win could go through!

Maybe when i close my eyes Gilberto does something right. What bothers me, is his total wastes of posessions, and when he has the ball, his decision making is too slow.

A through ball doesnt count as a statistic man. A through ball is common sense football. Maybe Im special and talented and think there easy because there easy for me to spot and complete.

Anyways.......glad to see people noticing what a fantastic addition Simao was to this club. He came as a 19 year old and hes already got maturity of a veteran. Give the kid a new contract, IMO i have been saying since last year, hes unconstestedly the best young DM in Greece.

The three goals against Rapid were a gift!! The three goals aginst Olympiakos were a gift!! THe three goals against Panathnaikos were a gift!! The three goals against Inter were a gift!!! ANd the Three goals we bury the Germans will also be a gift!!!!! End result Anorthosis in the 16 of the Champions League!!!!
Don't get upset re. It's natural for one to want to put us down if one is not an Ano fan, it's jealousy. It's similar to when Greece won the Euros, everyone came out of the woodwork to say "greece were lucky", etc.

Imagine how happy the fans of all the Greek clubs would be if their teams were performing in the CL every year like Ano has this year... we'd be hearing about "omadares" and "hellenic passion", etc. Ano do it, and it's a "fluke", it's "luck", the goals were "gifts", etc. Min asxolise with comments like that. It would be the equivalent of me saying: (1) Mantzios' goal was a gift because the Weder centre backs were dancing like drunks in front of him instead of clearing it. (2) Karagounis' goal was superb, but let's see him do it again. It was luck. (3) A lucky own goal.

But we're more mature than that and we know better.

Yes Ano had luck when Torosidis scored an own goal to give Ano the lead, but no one mentions Bardon's world class cross to Sosin, or Ano's movement of the ball prior to Laban's goal.

Yes Ano benefitted from Sarriegui's own goal, but no one mentions Savio's fantastic deliveries that resulted in stunning headers from Dobrasinovic and Taher. Or the fact that PAO were lucky to be gifted the penalty against Ano because a defender handled the ball when under no pressure.

Yes Ano benefitted from terrible defending today, but no one says Inter were lucky because Beqaj gifted the Italians 3 goals. Or that Materazzi's goal was a clear foul that was ignored, or that Quaresma dived to win the free kick that led to Cruz's late equalizer, or that Taher was brought down in the box after going around the goalkeeper but no penalty was given. Or that Ano had 5 key players missing today (Dellas, Savio, Sosin, Nicolaou, and Skopelitis wasn't fit enough to start).

So I ask you again, giati asxolise with ignorant fans? Let them run their mouths and if we manage to keep the dream alive by beating Bremen in yet another historic night we can come back here and laugh together while they keep saying we're lucky. Who cares?

if ano beats Bremen they will send the 15 year olde to playvthe last game in Athens may pao scores 50 goals on them just like every other team was suppose to do name to kathiko SAS win in Italy then the last game might mean something good luck to both Greek teams!!! I love howvthe 35 year niko frousos scored a cracker against inter today brvo nikola!!

Archived