Phantis Forums

Werder- PAO

athinaios

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, this first goal was so good!

We get the ball in our RB position.

Gilberto passes to Karagounis in the middle, Karagounis passes to the left in midfield to Spyropoulos.

Spyropoulos moves to a left winger spot and gives the ball back to Karagounis. Spyropoulos moved swiftly, but slow enough to allow the rest of the team to develop.

Two players pull forward to mark Karagounis while Tziolis slips behind them.

Karagounis passes to Tziolis. A CB moves up to mark him and another defender (the LB?) slides towards Mantzios who was left with only one defender.

Tziolis passes to Mantzios, who fakes that he will move towards the left but cuts the ball back sending the "sliding" defender flying the other direction.

Watch the play again: Watch where Gabriel is. He is next to Mantzios and he occupies one of the defenders. Mantzios gets the ball, and as he dribbles Gabriel is all alone too. This is textbook development indicative of good work in practice.

Beauty in motion. The team took the ball from defense to goal with five passes and put the forward in a position to use his skill with good odds. The key was the two forward passes. Karagounis to Tziolis, and Tziolis to Mantzios. Both passers pulled defenders high and passed at the best possible moment. Karagounis' pass left two Werder players behind the play, and Tziolis' pass left three players behind the play. That's half the team left in the dust.

Nice!

Of course there's been luck, but there always is. Just like PAO had luck yesterday.

Can you clarify PAO'S luck yesterday ,since i really didnt see much luck in the Mantzios goal or the Karagounis world class rocket of a shot... Please fill us in on the 3-0 luck :blink:
well sort of....Karagkounis could not make that shot every time B)

however Manztios goal was well set up, beautifully struck and all skill. Im getting excited by Mantzios, his German season did him better off, must have made him more competitive as a player and were seeing what we want out of him......he runs, he moves, hes deadly in the air and can finish on the ground and control ..... Hes definitley our #1 striker right now (for a lone position) and if this keeps up...he could absolutley make the ethniki, afterall Lyberopoulos is useless and Xaristeas can be bested.......

Rehagel was at the game, maybe he noted this ? :)

Nobody does the same shot twice.. But i would still like to hear the examples as to how we were lucky beating Bremen 3-0 in Germany???

I haven't seen PAO playing like this in a long time. Check how they circulate the ball. This takes lots of talent and practice. Kara's goal was fantastic, but it came from a throw in. The other 2 came because of great exchanges and accurate passing. :tup:

Karagounis's goal was world class and had it been scored by a Brazilian everyone would have been raving about in the international media but like every strike of a ball there is an element of luck.

Ibrahimovichs goal against Greece at euro 2008 was also a great hit but again there was an element of luck.

A different level of luck was the goal Tsiolis scored against Bremen. That was going wide but hit a defender and went in.

The whole point of this is that all these players made an effort to score (made their own luck)

Panathinaikos were Not lucky to beat bremen. They played brilliantly in my opinion.

They were on the front foot, they dictated the way the game went and played with a purpose. As a result they created the opportunities and managed to score goals. On a couple of other occassions had they been "luckier" they might have scored. Thats the point they forced situations to develop which got luck to work in their favour.

I have been a Panathinaikos fan for decades and it was a pleasure to watch them play against Bremen. Against Anorthosis they were a different team. They would never have scored against them because they never created situations which might have given them a break.

Ano have been making there own luck this season doing exactly what I have been saying having a go, putting defenders under pressure and working very hard.

What annoys me and will irritate me is when Anorthosis lose by a big margin like most teams at some point do, or do not get the breaks etc there will be many people who will be putting in posts ridiculing them and saying that it was only to be expected they were lucky etc etc.

Greece never got the credit they deserved for winning the Euro 2004 by working hard with good tactics and skill and forcing situations to work in their favour.

According to all the "experts" on British TV and media they were lucky and anyone who was watching Euro 2008 in the UK will know that the Brits really enjoyed rubbishing the Greek team. As far as they were concerned it proved they were right to say Greece had been lucky to win in 2004.

Sure Greece had an element of luck in 2004 but they made their own luck. Just like Anorthosis. They had a go!!!

Karagounis's goal was world class and had it been scored by a Brazilian everyone would have been raving about in the international media but like every strike of a ball there is an element of luck.

Ibrahimovichs goal against Greece at euro 2008 was also a great hit but again there was an element of luck.

A different level of luck was the goal Tsiolis scored against Bremen. That was going wide but hit a defender and went in.

The whole point of this is that all these players made an effort to score (made their own luck)

Panathinaikos were Not lucky to beat bremen. They played brilliantly in my opinion.

They were on the front foot, they dictated the way the game went and played with a purpose. As a result they created the opportunities and managed to score goals. On a couple of other occassions had they been "luckier" they might have scored. Thats the point they forced situations to develop which got luck to work in their favour.

I have been a Panathinaikos fan for decades and it was a pleasure to watch them play against Bremen. Against Anorthosis they were a different team. They would never have scored against them because they never created situations which might have given them a break.

Ano have been making there own luck this season doing exactly what I have been saying having a go, putting defenders under pressure and working very hard.

What annoys me and will irritate me is when Anorthosis lose by a big margin like most teams at some point do, or do not get the breaks etc there will be many people who will be putting in posts ridiculing them and saying that it was only to be expected they were lucky etc etc.

Greece never got the credit they deserved for winning the Euro 2004 by working hard with good tactics and skill and forcing situations to work in their favour.

According to all the "experts" on British TV and media they were lucky and anyone who was watching Euro 2008 in the UK will know that the Brits really enjoyed rubbishing the Greek team. As far as they were concerned it proved they were right to say Greece had been lucky to win in 2004.

Sure Greece had an element of luck in 2004 but they made their own luck. Just like Anorthosis. They had a go!!!

Excellent post

I havnt been on in a while, and i didnt post on the game

But congrats, it was a relaly well played game. Now you guys have a legit chance of going through. Had you not got so unlucky in the first leg you would have made it. The next game agasnt anorthosis cant be taken lightly since they are a good team.

What a fantastic goal by Karagounis. Tziolis' goal was a bit lucky but i agree, he made his own luck. But still this game could have been won more by Pao. Gilberto almost made it 4-0. Pao were dominant won every ball and bremen were always the second best team on the pitch. Good result for Greek Football.

Archived