Phantis Forums

Panionios-Pao

cyberfish

Panionios - Panathinaikos

Superleague game day 8

Saturday, Nov. 1, 2008

Normall here we'll say "a must-win game, bla, bla, bla" but it doesn't matter any more. I think the two games against Iraklis and Panionios have knocked the wind out of even the most patient fans.

The team needs to win back the trust of its fans, and Nea Smirni is a good game to start. I don't expect anything any more. I just hope we are not going to endure another embarrassment.

For this game Ten Cate chose Tzorvas, Vintra, Goumas, Simao, Nilsson, Mattos, Gilberto, Karagounis, Salpigidis, Mantzios, Galinovic, Moon, Sariegi, Gabriel, Ninis, Christodoulopoulos, Cleyton.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant remember a Panathinaikos team, that was honestly going into Nea Smynri and not a favourite to win...How low can we go, is basically the question of this game.

To be honest, I beleive Panionios is the better team this year.

Its a matter of PAO rebounding or not. If PAO springs back, yes we can definitley end up dominating and taking the game. However, even if we dominate, and lead, and outplay, were so pathetic in the back that games are turned upside in a matter of minutes. From Iraklis to Inter, we are playing every single game as a derby, and thats exactly what happens, when your an arrogant big talking moron and dont adress obvious team issues ever present for months.

If I had to predict, Id say 2-2, or 2-1 Panionios.

One thing is for sure: PAO will be determined, and I think chances will be finished.

Another thing is for sure: this defense (easily worst in 15 years), no matter what the run of play, will leak goals in some form. Its basiaclly a given.

So I conclude 2-2 or 2-1

I can't see a close contest here. And I 'm not talking about the scoreline, which cannot be predicted, but about the game itself. If Panionios start well and score first, I can't see PAO fighting back unless something totally random happens. The morale is low and a dominating Panionios will finish us off. If, on the other hand, we take off early and realise that we can turn things around, we will get our confidence back and perhaps dominate the game ourselves. In any case, I don't expect an Ergotelis kind of game. Against them PAO were careless and arrogant - against Panionios they will much more careful not only because they 've screwed up already but also because with Recoba and the others you suspect what's coming - with Koutsianikoulis it's different. Tough game, let's see what happens.

Btw, Iv (injured), Ruka, Tziolis and Souza are not in the squad. Most reports claim that Salpi won't start either (but, remember, reports are written by our beloved 'reporters/opadoi' so take them for what they 're worth - nothing, that is).

I think the aura around a Panionios superiority is generated among fans by newspaper reports and not by watching multiple Panionios games. I am sceptical as to how good they are.

Sousa being eliminated along with Petropoulos and Roukavina, so really only Mantzios can play as the lone CF. Sousa has been a disappointment to me so far. With his body mass he should be steamrolling through some of the opponents, but so far he seems to be pushed around at will and I don't remember him winning any headers or low balls in the box.

Regarding our defense, we are still back where we were in the beginning. We don't have any clue who is a concrete starter. Only Spyropoulos has been playing all the time and I get the feeling it's because we don't have a real back-up for his position. Today we'll play with a completely new defense again.

Melissis failed to give even the slightest glimmer of hope in his debut as a CB. In fact, the way some of the Ergotelis players went right through him proved Ten Cate right for not playing him. Very rarely I have seen a PAO defender be so owned on a dribble (the one from Koutsanikoulis where Melissis send him flying in the opposite direction on the edge of our box is the worst exposure of defender I have seen in years from a PAO defender). Will he develop to a good player for us? Who knows? I do know that no one has the patience to wait through performances like his last one.

Will we see Sariegi again today? Who's going to mark the very skilled Choutos? Probably only Vintra would have the skill from our group and this does not make anyone comfortable. Maybe Simao, but he is so young he is bound to make a mistake here and there.

I am getting sick thinking about this game. If I were the coach, I would play a 4-3-1-2 with Mattos-Gilberto-Karagounis as the "3", with Cleyton in front of them, and Salpigidis-Mantzios up front. This can be a very flexible formation with Karagounis free to move left or right and play high or deep as the game allows. Cleyton can move to the wings and be the play-maker when we move on the counter. The key is to be patient and to control the ball in midfield.

We need to improve our defense and maybe it would not be a bad idea to allow Gilberto to play as a sweeper in front of the CBs (deeper than the other two CMs). Reportedly, he is good at such a position. But we need some structural change on defense for sure.

In the last ten games, Panathinaikos has conceded the following number of goals: 2-0-2-1-3-0-0-2-2-3 :blink: Needles to say it would be hard for any offense to keep up with that.

I do think we need to be a little more conservative and patient, at least until the team settles down.

Let's hope we have reasons to smile after the game is over.

I think the hype over Panionios is over their results, and brilliant transfers. I am happy for the team, I want to see them grow because it would be great for the league, and I like that there is a team representing Nea Smyrni, and Smyrni.

And although the Superleague teams arent performing great at the moment, particularly the big 3, but could that have something to do with the REST of the league improving? We cant ignore, that if 10 years ago, we would freak out if a team like Panionios is signing a big Greek prospect Kiliaras, being able to hold on to Makos, and bring in players from Inter and Valencia who are major international players.

Recoba stated he wants Champions League. Now thats signing, ambition, direction that other smaller teams in Greece lack. It could be true that reports coming out are putting an ilusion of Panionios this season, but it doesnt come from nothing, they are doing well results wise, in 2 derbies they beat Aris, and tied AEK who got lucky int the end to tie.

I agree with conservative though.

Its obvious the back line is hopeless, but dont usually hopeless defenses try something new? Ok, melissis isnt the solution.

But seriously, why not 5 in the back? will it REALLY affect our abillity to score? an extra man, could help sweep up the crap of the other two. We have to do something, if the same rotations of 4 keep happening, nothing is going to change, we dont have defensive quality, or adequacy.

If I were Ten Cate, this is the best lineup we can play.

Nilsson---------Gkoumas----Simao----Melissis ------Spyropoulos

--------------------------Mattos-----Gilberto------------------

Karagkounis--------------------------------------------------Ivanschitz

------------------------------Mantzios-----------------------------------

Were also scoring 2 a game. I think, were going to be fine offensively, our finishing doesnt get any better with more players up. The extra player is better off reducing the catastrophe in the back line. Simao, should play sweeper or something. He needs a position where is job is to run, cause havoc and destroy their flow and clean up others mistakes. Hes a good candidate.

Also, we can have forward runs from Nilsson (or Moon/Gabriel) from the right side, and use the extra CB as a sort of assurance too. Same goes for Spyropoulos. So wed actually have plenty of players for offense. If our defense is failing so bad, and our offense is keeping up regularly clearly we need more resources in the back. 5 is fine, until we have real quality. This should be HTC's move. You CAN play to win and have 5 in the back. Just remember, the 5th is to do half the job of the win - not conceding more goals than you score.

Yeah, if our plight is because the smaller teams are getting better I am all for it. But my experience from the previous years is that smaller teams are getting better only at the expense of Panathinaikos. And we seem to be the ones who freak out constantly.

I watch Olympiakos every sunday too if I can and in the past few years they've had many-many atrocious games at home and away where they usually managed to win 1-0 with the other team missing a million chances. But their fans don't seem to freak out as much as we do. They don't have better talent than we do, I think they just have more confidence that gives them patience. We need to do the same.

Looking at our games this season, yes we score about two goals per game too, but this is because both our fullbacks play very high, we field AMs who play much higher than last year, and they are not terribly concerned with marking. So, in a sense, we are trying too hard to make this an exciting team. We are up one to nothing and the team still freaks out to attack more and more. If I think back in the games we played so far, it does look good and exciting when we miss so many chances until the other team scores.

Opa!

The lineup is in: Galinovic, Vintra, Nilsson, Sariegi, Simao, Gabriel, Moon, Ninis, Karagounis, Gilberto, Mantzios

Bench: Tzorvas, Goumas, Siontis, Cleyton, Christodoulopoulos, Mattos, Salpi

I am not sure how they'll lineup but I think something like this:

-------------------Galinovic---------------

Moon----------Vintra--Sariegi----Nilsson

---------------Gilberto--Simao----------

Gabriel--------------Ninis-------Karagounis

--------------------Mantzios--------------

despite all there is to fear of getting routed today, im still pretty excited for this one. I hope for a good atmosphere, and a big win for Green.

Tommorow night, dont forget PAO heads to the Elliniko to play Panionios in basketball. Also, a big match, PAO needs to rebound after their fiasco in Barcelona, and Panionios came off a rough night with CSKA too.

I dont see enough PAO fans down in basket come on guys youre there for the ethniki!

If were going to score 4....it will be 4-2. Remember its Gabriel, Vyntra, Sareigui and Nilsson out there. Id be shocked if Panionios dont score at least one.

I like the atmosphere at N. Smyrni. I always liked that ground when full of people. I 'm not sure what the plans is with this lineup but I 'm done guessing. I predict a crazy game.

Btw, I 'm glad we got owned by Barca because with all those clowns in A1 all we are interested in is whether we 'll score 100 or not. We need to get down to earth asap. I 'm not worried though. Not at all.

Yeah, Nea Smirni is a good home field. I used to go to watch Pao when they played Panionios there. Always a tough game.

Sorry Drako, for whatever reason, I can't get into Basketball. I think the only basketball games I've seen in their entirety are a couple of NT games with Galis (I think we had won something important) and the Chicago Bulls when Jordan was playing. :rolleyes: It's like baseball. I just can't get into it :(

i dont beleive you cyber! Yes you can!

not even if PAO is playing in Euroleague final ? ????????

some Greatest moments of our club are in basket!

Sorry man I have one-track mind. I only watch Panathinaikos soccer and a little of the Greek NT.

BTW. Nilsson is playin as a RB and Moon is on the left.

Moon is probably the speediest player on the field so he is there to contain Estogiaof, and he does have a decent left foot.

Ninis on the right so far.

Titus do you have picture or just the radio?

Archived