Phantis Forums

ERT no longer openly available from NTUA

RAI may be fta in the USA, but that hasn't stopped Dish Network from offering it on a subscription basis as well!

I have good news though, ERT World is back online, courtesy of the TEI Peiraias. It is not an official stream, so it may or may not last, of course, but for now, enjoy:

http://www.teitv.blogspot.com/

mms://195.251.64.55/teitv

A link has already been placed to this stream on http://www.media.net.gr/livetv.htm as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, WPSO continues to stream ERT World...but not 24/7. WPSO also carries some programming from Alter Globe, some original programming and some non-Greek programming, so it's not a full ERT World stream.

Interestingly enough, WPSO is an FCC-licensed television station in Florida and they've been rebroadcasting ERT World for years. Not sure how Echostar can claim it has exclusive rights to the station when it clearly doesn't carry it exclusively.

This seems like crap. I hope that ERT can get away from Dish's "exclusive rights" claims. A state channel should not be exclusive to anyone. We shouldn't have to pay for it either, since thats what the tax payers in Greece pay for. ERT should actually provide their own online steam on their site in my opinion. I know CYBC does for RIK SAT. :ph34r:

We shouldn't have to pay for it either, since thats what the tax payers in Greece pay for.

Really? People here actually believe GREEK taxpayers would accept paying on their electric bills charges for their cousins from New Jersey to Florida and all the way to California? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry Grk101, I know you are not the only one who has stated this, but it has been repeated so many times by so many people here it is ludicrous. People in Greece pay for ERT in GREECE and also for the satellite feed ERT has through Europe (for reasons that have to do with the Greek state's support of venues like Hellas Sat). That somehow Greek taxpayers are currently charged for echostar or Directv bringing us the signal here is actually beyond laughable. Echostar and Directv have expenses in the uplink and distribution of the signal for North America, and that is what they charge for. You can argue they charge more than they need to, but certainly they are NOT charging for a channel whose distribution has already been paid with Greek taxpayer money. All that has been paid for with Greek taxpayer money is the content, not the rest. Enough with that BS.

Really? People here actually believe GREEK taxpayers would accept paying on their electric bills charges for their cousins from New Jersey to Florida and all the way to California? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry Grk101, I know you are not the only one who has stated this, but it has been repeated so many times by so many people here it is ludicrous. People in Greece pay for ERT in GREECE and also for the satellite feed ERT has through Europe (for reasons that have to do with the Greek state's support of venues like Hellas Sat). That somehow Greek taxpayers are currently charged for echostar or Directv bringing us the signal here is actually beyond laughable. Echostar and Directv have expenses in the uplink and distribution of the signal for North America, and that is what they charge for. You can argue they charge more than they need to, but certainly they are NOT charging for a channel whose distribution has already been paid with Greek taxpayer money. All that has been paid for with Greek taxpayer money is the content, not the rest. Enough with that BS.

Likos, there's a couple of problems with your argument.

First, many Greek people overseas own property in Greece. If they do, then they most likely pay utilities as well. And if they do, that means they pay DEH, which means that they pay for ERT as part of their DEH bill every two months.

In fact, the whole way that ERT collects money is pretty laughable, since they include a charge for ERT no matter what the account is for. For instance, you could live in an apartment building in Greece, each apartment has its own account with DEH, but the hallways, garage and other common areas also have a separate account, paid for collectively by the tenants. That account is charged for ERT as well!

Getting back to ERT World though, it is a channel that is not just paid for by Greek citizens living in Greece, but by Greeks living abroad as well.

Also, the claims that Echostar has expenses associated with carrying ERT World are ludicrous. Those uplink/downlink expenses don't stop them from carrying the Chinese CCTV 9 and the Spanish/French language version of CCTV for free, nor does it prevent them from carrying other foreign stations at a lower rate than they offer for ERT World. And since ERT World is already available in North America via the NSS 806 satellite, it's not difficult for them to add the signal to their own satellites as well.

Furthermore, streaming of ERT World really should have nothing to do with Echostar or any expenses associated with carrying ERT World on that platform. It's relatively inexpensive for ERT to stream ERT World online, and there's no reason why ERT can't support such a service for the Greeks living abroad, especially when again considering that many of those Greeks living abroad do still pay for ERT via their property in Greece.

The letter that Satleo.gr printed from Echostar pretty much proves all along that they're the ones behind this. Which makes me wonder:

a) Could Echostar be so incompetent to have been unaware of this stream for the past 10 years? (Apparently yes)

B) Could ERT be so incompetent that they don't know what sort of "agreements" they've made with companies like Echostar? (Apparently yes)

c) Does Echostar actually have the exclusive rights, as they claim with the threat of legal action? Again, that seems murky, when considering that there's other ways ERT World's programming is still available in North America (NSS 806, broadcasts on WPSO and NGTV, and until recently, the online streaming).

d) Of course, the timing can't be a coincidence. This letter was apparently sent in late September to the website in question, and a couple of weeks later, ERT's stream disappeared.

It seems odd to me that Echostar won't go after an FCC-licensed TV station like WPSO if Echostar do, indeed, have the exclusive rights to ERT World. That would be serious enough for WPSO's FCC license to be endangered, if there was, in reality, an issue. And it seems very unusual for me to see that WSPO and NGTV carry ERT World's programming, with the full knowledge of ERT, but at the same time, there's an "exclusive" agreement with someone else.

I also can't understand why, because of any potential issue with North America, ERT can't stream ERT World *anywhere* in the world. They can restrict access from North American IP ranges quite easily. This is really a rash move by ERT and seems not to have been thought out at all, just as whatever "agreement" they made with Echostar was apparently not carefully thought out or examined either.

Something doesn't add up here?! Why would ERT remove an online stream (that is available Globally) of their channel simply because Echostar told them too?? Has no one at ERT heard of IP blocking, whereby a stream is only available to certain people or certain parts of the world. There is various online content from US channels that we in Canada cannot recieve because its only available to Americans, so instead of getting rid of the entire service, why not just block ERT World to those from North America- does that technology not exist in Greece or perhaps it is just too complicated for the bureaucrats who work at ERT ;)

I think Echostar should focus their attention on securing their system which leaks like a seive instead of focusing on stupid things like this. If someone in Asia starts up an online stream of ERT World are they going to go after them as well?! I think you've hit right on the money with points A & B PurelyAcademic.

I think that NSS 806 is next to go, so forget about ERT World FTA in N.America be it C-Band or Ku-Band.

One final point on the subject, if Echostar has exclusive rights then how exactly is DirecTV going to add ERT World to their lineup? I think this may have something to do with what Echostar is doing- the DirecTV threat and the fact that if they take another channel from them then Dish will be left no significant Greek programming in their lineup.

Can anybody answer this question if echostar own the rights to ert world in north america how long is the contract for? Then what about canada are they going to threaten maniatako and ecc they don't have a leg to stand on.

As for nss 806 is echostar going to get us the european feed of ert world they are just being childish.

WPSOs has a letter agreement from ERT that they can rebroadcast ERTs programming in North America

Echostar is trying for many years to stop WPSO from rebroadcasting ERTs programing.

DKSat

If WPSO has such a letter, then something isn't adding up. Either:

a) Echostar doesn't really have the exclusive rights and is just using scare tactics

or

B) ERT has no clue what sort of agreements it's signing and, as a result, signed an "exclusive" deal without even realizing it.

Something about this whole situation leads me to believe it's B.

But even if that's the case, as has been pointed out, IP-blocking would be the solution, to prevent infringement in North America with Echostar (if there is an agreement) or some sort of alternate online stream, video on demand, etc. that wouldn't infringe on Echostar's rights.

But considering that it's ERT we're talking about I think we're asking for too much! :LOL:

Well i am going to let the cat out of the bag.

There is someone in New York that thinks that he holds the exclusive rights to ERT World and sold them to Echostar .

From inside info from ERT is that ERT does not receive any revenue from the subscriptions from Echostar or the man that claim that holds the exclusive rights.

I know for sure that he reads everything that we right and post on Phantis Forum.

Even the big boys from Directv and Echostar monitoring this forum.

According to sources in Greece no one has any exclusive rights anywhere in the world for ERT or in North America.

Very soon one of the top senators will be bringing the issues in front of the Vouli.

DKSat

There is someone in New York that thinks that he holds the exclusive rights to ERT World and sold them to  Echostar .

From  inside info from ERT is that ERT does not receive any revenue from the subscriptions from Echostar or the man that claim that holds the exclusive rights.

So if I understand this correctly, Echostar is distributing ERT World on their Dish Network platform and charging people $15/mo for it but in return they pay nothing for the channel and ERT receives nothing from these subscriptions- how in hell are they getting away with that?! :o

So who, if anyone, has the rights to distribute ERT World in North America- no one?! Is ERT distributing this themselves, that would explain why this WPSO channel is airing ERT World (they have an agreement directly with ERT). I wonder whom OTN & NEXTV have a deal with here in Canada?

This story is getting more interesting by the day B)

There is someone in New York that thinks that he holds the exclusive rights to ERT World and sold them to Echostar .

From inside info from ERT is that ERT does not receive any revenue from the subscriptions from Echostar or the man that claim that holds the exclusive rights.

I know for sure that he reads everything that we right and post on Phantis Forum.

Even the big boys from Directv and Echostar monitoring this forum.

According to sources in Greece no one has any exclusive rights anywhere in the world for ERT or in North America.

Very soon one of the top senators will be bringing the issues in front of the Vouli.

DKSat

This is an amazing revelation! If true, what this man in New York seems to be doing is downright illegal.

But I don't understand two things: if ERT knows they haven't given Echostar the exclusive rights to carry ERT World, and if ERT is aware that a third party is attempting to sell the rights to the station without compensating ERT...then a) why did ERT shut down their stream? and B) why isn't ERT taking Echostar and the man in question to court over copyright infringement?

Oh, and c) How can Echostar, in good faith, purchase ERT World's programming from this third party? With what legal basis?

Then again, the answer to C might be the same answer we have for much of ERT's bone-headed decisions: sheer incompetence. The same incompetence that led Echostar to go after and threaten websites for providing a *hyperlink* to ERT's live stream, when the content was not even hosted by them.

This for sure is a kobina between the man in N.Y, some long time executive at ERT .I wouldn't blame Echostar. I think what might happen is that Echostar will be compansated and ERT will be free to go anywhwere. Hopefully be available on KU band

This is amazing. If what DKSat is saying is correct, then ERT should file a lawsuit

against the man in NY and Echostar, and get lots of money back.

And they should find a decent rep in N. America to broadcast for free or

with a reasonable cost, and not the cost we currently pay.

And does anyone know what happens in Canada?

I pay $20 (plus taxes) each month for ERT (I have no choice

but to also receive Antenna), and I thought that I am supporting ERT

to some extent. Is it possible that Maniatakos keeps all the money

for himself and does not pay ERT a share?

So the man in NY, as well as Echostar and DirectTV read this forum,

but ERT does not?

And does anyone know what happens in Canada?

I pay $20 (plus taxes) each month for ERT (I have no choice

but to also receive Antenna), and I thought that I am supporting ERT

to some extent. Is it possible that Maniatakos keeps all the money

for himself and does not pay ERT a share?

Asteri you are in the same situation like can't stand antenna but would like to recieve ert only but can't because of kolomaniatakos is one gready A..hole. I would like to know how much does it cost to get the feed from ERT from Nss 806 to my home I don't think it's 4.99 and let him not tell me that he has upgrades to do . Antenna is his meat and potatoes Ert is his cream

From what I have heard, to get the NSS806 feed of ERT, you need a C-band dish

(these are big, like 1.2 m diameter?) and the installation may cost about 1K.

You need to have space in your yard -- can't do this in a condo. You should

have free sight towards the 40.5 W direction. I don't know how much maintenance

such dishes require. There are also motors that allow you to move the dish

to target different satellites. Once you have the system, you don't pay any

monthly subscription.

From what I have heard, to get the NSS806 feed of ERT, you need a C-band dish

(these are big, like 1.2 m diameter?) and the installation may cost about 1K.

Could be even bigger, depending on how far from the east coast one is. Of course, I had a 1.2m dish for BSkyB back when I lived in Greece, and that size was not considered big there even for a balcony. :LOL:

Archived