Phantis Forums

Supporting Greece?

DUDE

i can't explain the reasons why in greece but here in england you find alot of people who support big clubs like man u and liverpool always put their clubs first, when peter crouch played for liverpool he came off the bench for england at old trafford to a chorus of boos, some liverpool supporters i know have also said they find it impossible to cheer for frank lampard they say they can't suddenly like him just because he's in an england top, when man u score vs liverpool alot of man u players like rooney neville tend to go to the liverpool fans and celebrate infront of them so they find it hard to cheer them on for england. i don't think this problem is uniquely greek. the reason england internationals are sell outs is because there are more people in england and supporters of smaller clubs tend to get behind the NT more. also alot of people here(UK) are of the opinion that international fixtures disrupt the club matches. karagounis mentioned the NT in italy takes priority however thats definatly not the case in england or spain.

There are many posters here who are very active in thier club forums but alot less active in this forum (i.e. Crazy, Athinaios, Cyberfish, Drakos, Aekmafia, etc). Does that reflect the fact that you guys feel close to your clubs than your NT? If so, why?[/b][/color]

Sorry man, I dont think you could be further from accurate in supporting your point with this one. You should know Im pretty fanatic about this team. There simply isnt anything to discuss in the inbetween weeks..Otto doesnt have his team selected isnt working with the team (as all intl teams) until closer to the matchdays....

and please do not suggest I do not care about the ethniki or care less whatever....the last thing we need in forums is a pointless debate about who thinks they care more about something.

Im not trying to start an arguement, but I can give you with 100% certaincy that the less frequency of posts in this forum, by us, is complelty realted to:

1) The amount of topics, and frequency of news with the ethniki

2) The frequency of matches that the ethniki has

3) Clubs have news all the time - fan groups, transfer rumors, manager gossip, coaches that are switched often, european and domestic play - its no wonder more of the talk is in my teams forum (and in club forums in general) than the national team.

During the Euro there were more people in the threads and traffic - why? Because we are bandwagon? No....because theres news, updates, and frequent changes/ events and matches.

Greece plays Latvia and then 5-6 weeks later plays Moldova (example)....

After the post match talk has dried up, and it does., what is there to talk about or discuss ? The team in 6 weeks has a lot of unforseen....for example form, new callups, injuries - not until the week of the matches do we switch back into NT - News mode because the football world of club and international turns off and on.

I think youll notice NT related news we follow year round with the clubs, are the players abroad threads. Although, theres not much to discuss for most cant see the players performance and arent more than updates/videos of then these players hit the scoresheet to be honest. But seriously, 2 weeks after a NT game whats to say when the next game is 4 weeks away after the talk of previous games is dried up.....What do you suggest to make the forum busier....

Howcome PAO fills a stadium and Greece cant in Crete - easy.....when PAO is playing Inter, and Greece is playing Moldova, its not tough to say why. Also when Ethniki played there, the stadium was full in Crete. Just saw the highlights on the news (recap of old matches) and it looked pretty full.

And Greece does care about the ethniki....Ok, England is fanatic about it.....so? Were all supportive of it. And Italy, has about the same imporatance as Greek teams do on their national team. Its important....Greeks do support the national team....sorry this is a myth to say they dont support the team. The team, will have critics forever. Forever. Thats Greek society . Dumb decisions on the field, kickball and lack of the ability to create a chance as sometims are team is guilty of, maybe people would think its better to groan and roll their eyes at this crap from their couch instead of fork out 40 euros to see it live? And the games sell out anyways in Athens (Faliro rather)

and please do not suggest I do not care about the ethniki or care less whatever....the last thing we need in forums is a pointless debate about who thinks they care more about something.

I'm not suggesting you guys don't care. But I assumed that for many here club takes priority over the NT. If that's not the case with you or anyone else I apologize, but I didn't mean this as an insult. Assuming one is more passionate about PAO than Greece for example isn't an insult, it's just an observation regarding personal preference. I'm just trying to understand "why" so many people have that personal preference. Maybe you post more frequently in the club forums for the reasons you've given, i.e. league games are more frequent, etc, but there are others, i.e. Athinaios who rarely come here. Again I'm not insulting Athinaios or anyone else, I just want to understand the reasons behind this trend.

Howcome PAO fills a stadium and Greece cant in Crete - easy.....when PAO is playing Inter, and Greece is playing Moldova, its not tough to say why. Also when Ethniki played there, the stadium was full in Crete. Just saw the highlights on the news (recap of old matches) and it looked pretty full.

No it wasn't. I was at both games (Hungary and Moldova) and the stadium was less than 3/4 full, one of the side stands was almost completely empty.

And so what if it was against Moldova or Hungary? When the Greek club teams play unglamorous opposition (i.e. Molde, Sparta Prague, etc) the stadiums are still packed to the rafters.

And Greece does care about the ethniki....Ok, England is fanatic about it.....so? Were all supportive of it. And Italy, has about the same imporatance as Greek teams do on their national team. Its important....Greeks do support the national team....sorry this is a myth to say they dont support the team. The team, will have critics forever. Forever. Thats Greek society. Dumb decisions on the field, kickball and lack of the ability to create a chance as sometims are team is guilty of, maybe people would think its better to groan and roll their eyes at this crap from their couch instead of fork out 40 euros to see it live?

Sorry but I disagree. The final game before the key trip away to Turkey was at home to Bosnia. OAKA was nowhere near full. There are 5m people in Athens and only 30k attend the game? That's not an example of the fans being critical of the team, that's not supporting the team. How many times have players like Karagounis, Lybe and Haristeas begged the Greek fans to turn out and support them? There's a reason for that. Also, when I went to the games in Crete the tickets ranged between 18 and 35 euro, not 40.

@Js100. How are you mate? I beg to differ regarding the English and the national team. There are a handful of fans that carry club rivalry to the NT games but the vast majority of football fans go nuts about the Three Lions. The whole country gets behind their team and the media are ridiculously obsessed with the NT. At major tournaments the English fans dominate in terms of their numbers. Watch the highlights of Portugal-England at Euro 2004 for example, there were more English fans in the stadium than Portuguese fans!!! Whereas the Greeks only started flocking to Portugal en masse after the group stages. Yes England is a bigger country, but they fill Wembley (70k) or Old Trafford (67k) for every game, even friendlies. We don't even fill the stadium in important games, i.e. Bosnia at home last year. As for Spain, yes I agree that the Spanish don't support their NT like their clubs, but Spain is a unique example because of its divisions: the Catalans, Basques, self-proclaimed Spaniards, etc. Greece doesn't have this problem and so a comparison can't be made... nonetheless, the Spanish NT still fills its stadium.

No it wasn't. I was at both games (Hungary and Moldova) and the stadium was less than 3/4 full, one of the side stands was almost completely empty.

And so what if it was against Moldova or Hungary? When the Greek club teams play unglamorous opposition (i.e. Molde, Sparta Prague, etc) the stadiums are still packed to the rafters.

Sorry but I disagree. The final game before the key trip away to Turkey was at home to Bosnia. OAKA was nowhere near full. There are 5m people in Athens and only 30k attend the game? That's not an example of the fans being critical of the team, that's not supporting the team. How many times have players like Karagounis, Lybe and Haristeas begged the Greek fans to turn out and support them? There's a reason for that. Also, when I went to the games in Crete the tickets ranged between 18 and 35 euro, not 40.

For one, Sparta Prague on a club level is a much bigger team and name than Moldova, though you refuse to accept this reality. Moldova has never posed a threat in football.....Sparta has progressed through the CL stages in recent memory. You have made this anti-sparta crap out of nothing yet again and put them on the same level as Molde in comparison. Sparta again, has better CL record than OSFP in recent memory, bigger players than anything in all of Greek league history, and is simply way more significant a city than MOLDE. Its fact, face it already. Enough on the anti-Sparta s%$#!, the embarassing part is teams you swear are better in Greece and Cyprus would be envious of n what Sparta has had and still can be in potential.

Also a 1/2 series playoff game is a lot different than a on of several group round games. Not mention that its the most important game for the european season (because if its not won its over essentially) where as Greece Moldova is not as big a deal. You wont see major crowds for PAO-Panthrakikos either.....

Anyways.......I think Ive had all there is to say on this topic. There is a reason that people post less, its not maybe, but exacly having to do with the limited amount of news that goes with a national team because its off/ on. People do support the team, and people are critical of the team at the same time...There are fans at their trainings too .... And also dont forget the team had magnificent support the last 2 away games.

IMO it sounding like more Greeks diaspora bashing the Greeks about loyalty, why arent they like this etc....

I believe we should move the games outside of Athens, I found the games in Crete were well attended (3/4 full i a small stadium looks nice than an empty stadium) and the fans were loud.

I was at Karaiskaki for the Turkey WCQ and you still had pocket of fans wearing red and then chanting their songs at the end of the game.

How bout bringing the opposition north to Thessaloniki and give them the real meaning of home field advantage.

For our Olympics we built new stadiums, is there not 1 in Patra..why did we build them..promote your team everywhere.

Karagounis has been voicing his opinion often maybe he is becoming more of the leader of this group.

BRING THE GAME TO MONTREAL we'll fill the Olympic Stadium with 70'000 no problem :tup:

^I dont know about taking it out of athens.

Do you remember the last time we played in thessaloniki? Poor pitch. The fans were cheering Paok songs, and they were jeering Salpi eveytime he touched the ball. It was the worst home field advantage ever by the ethniki. I thought after that game, they shouldnt play the games in salonika for at least 5 years.

They do have a stadium in patra. Its a pretty small stadium but none the less pretty nice. I love Patra, and would like to see some games there to tell you the truth since that city is hurting for some decent football. The game vs Cyprus was held in Patra and it was actally well hosted. They did a nice cermony for Katsouranins (who is a native of Patra).

Crete did a pretty good job too. I dont remember the games to tell you the truth but I remember they did well. I think the only reason the games were played there is because the next home games had to be X distance away from Karaiskaiki because for the punishment.

As for montrael im FOR IT! A four hour drive and I can see the ethniki! Imo that could actally work out. If they ever did something like that in new york, Toronto, Melbourne or any large greek community outside of greece. The friendly vs Australia in 2006 was a perfect example.

thats a critical point, bring the game to melbourne and it will sell out like the australia v greece game did in 2006....93,000 fans at the MCG for a friendly....what does that tell you? The greeks abroad are certainly thirsty for anything greek, especially in far away australia where a trip to greece is few and far between....

maybe the live TV keeps fans from turning up at the gate? the other argument here is, when many sporting events are on, or it is a saturday night, fans can at times stay away from the gates...

maybe its a combination of Live TV, too much sport, choices, $$$, the ethniki will always be there attitude or they didnt perform at euro 2008 attitude??

i am just stating factors here....i certainly do not agree with them....i know if i were within 2 hrs flight of the game tonight i would 100% be there.....so would another 100,000 greeks fans who packed to the MCG some two years ago for a friendly!

here in australia, since pay TV etc started showing games Live, it has significantly effected the attendances of major clubs....people have too many choices these days....people have pizza or a bbq and invite friends over and they watch the game in the comfort of their lounge with a beer.....

NO EXCUSES THOUGH....THIS IS THE ETHNIKI AND A SPOT AT THE WC...ATHENS SHOULD HAVE NO ISSUES OR EXCUSES NOT TO GET 50,000 AT EVERY SINGLE GAME INVOLVING THE ETHNIKI :gr:

How bout bringing the opposition north to Thessaloniki and give them the real meaning of home field advantage.

There's no need for that, we could care less what some of those fans said

maybe dude should go to greece and start an ethniki fans club. get a gate going get 1,000 odd football junkies and have a blast.....

^I dont know about taking it out of athens.

Do you remember the last time we played in thessaloniki? Poor pitch. The fans were cheering Paok songs, and they were jeering Salpi eveytime he touched the ball. It was the worst home field advantage ever by the ethniki. I thought after that game, they shouldnt play the games in salonika for at least 5 years.

They do have a stadium in patra. Its a pretty small stadium but none the less pretty nice. I love Patra, and would like to see some games there to tell you the truth since that city is hurting for some decent football. The game vs Cyprus was held in Patra and it was actally well hosted. They did a nice cermony for Katsouranins (who is a native of Patra).

Crete did a pretty good job too. I dont remember the games to tell you the truth but I remember they did well. I think the only reason the games were played there is because the next home games had to be X distance away from Karaiskaiki because for the punishment.

As for montrael im FOR IT! A four hour drive and I can see the ethniki! Imo that could actally work out. If they ever did something like that in new york, Toronto, Melbourne or any large greek community outside of greece. The friendly vs Australia in 2006 was a perfect example.

thank you.

Thessaloniki friendly game was a disaster. The pitch the climate - for an official game, never.

The NT, would be depending on PAE PAOK to maintain their pitch properly, and thats not smart. I wouldnt mind Katftatzogleio instead if we HAD to go to Saloniki and play. We cant rely on PAE PAOK to hold up their part. Also the chant PAO or Death mentioned is not a typo, they do say that, and ive seen it on PAOK grafitti before in Saloniki.....Another reason to hate PAOK.

The games should not move out of Athens, unless for Peloponisos, or Crete and their new stadiums on rare occasion. I think Rehagel, is the one choosing sing the stadiums btw, i know he prefered Leoforos then Karaiskaki was built, to have the closed atmosphere...

As for taking the games abroad - absolutley not.

Its not about profits and attendances. The Greek team plays in Greece, period. Afterall, the Greek taxpayer (ultimately the owner right?) will pay for the team to go play its home games abroad?) Taking teams abroad to cash in on hungry diaspora markets will ruin football. Just wait for friendlies, go to Greece, or wait till they play against your home country. Its more special event that way anyways...

There are Greek fan clubs.

I live in the US so I don't support any particular Greek team. Or better yet I support them all, including the Cypriot teams, as long as they have a chance to distinguish themselves abroad.

Be that as it may, the heartaches I received from the ethniki, after 2004, has caused me to wonder why I even bother to watch/listen to their matches. Mediocrity at best is all they've ever displayed, except for Euro 2004 which was a beauty to behold. Someone needs to remind Kara that there's a great deal of difference on the level of play between the Italian NT and ours. I can only wish ours could display the style, pathos, and artistry of the rest of the world class teams. What good is it to qualify only to be the karpazoispractores of the competition and be made a laughing stock in front of the world? And you have the ball$ to blame it on the fans Kara? It's yours and your teammates shitty play that turns us fans off.

Ante pigenete sta mpouzoukia anti gia proponisi leventes mou, mono ekei thaste panda proti!! Ouiskaki, tsigaraki, gkomenoules, kai apetisi giati emeis oi filathli den se upostirizoume. Afou esei o idios den eisai filos tou dikou sou athlimatos kai arketa epagelmatias na ta dwseis ola s'ena agwna emeis sou fteme pou snomparoume thn metriotita sou? O tsampoukas omos sinexizete, always a constant!! Na gia allh mia fora akrandakto paradigma tis Ellinikis nootropias enos upotithemenou epaggelmatia podosferisti :nono: :tdown:

Good topic. It got me thinking.

First I should say, I read the NT forum every day. I just don't have as much to write about the NT. I love the team, I watch every game and have followed it for over 30 years.

It's interesting to think about why some of us don't write as much about the NT, and this is the only purpose of the following paragraphs. They are not an inditement for the NT, but some proposed reasons why the fanatical club support seems to be lacking.

To speak for myself, while I get excited about the NT during the games, I don't get nearly as obsessed with it the rest of the time.

I grew up with the NT being a complete joke. Through coaches who were placed because of their connections, and players who played because the newspapers patronized them to death. I never built the tight bond with the NT that I have developed with PAO through my childhood years. I remember the years when they gave free tickets to high school students in Athens and the stadium was still empty.

Then there is the sporadic nature of NTs season. Games are so far and few in between it's hard to keep my attention focused, especially when there is no squad to speak off until few days before a game. I like thinking of tactics, and of players capabilities vis-a-vis the tactics. It's a limited affair with the NT until a few days before and after a game. My conversation gets exhausted after a few minutes.

The fact that success has been even more sporadic for the Greek team does not help either. I had to wait over three decades, and through countless disappointments and embarrassments to finally live through the magic of Euro 2004.

What drives club excitement for me is the fact that it's constant. I get to think about the next game all the time. The squad, the players, the race, the game is in constant flux. I don't like it when a game day is postponed (like this Sunday). Truth is, if you go to the PAO forum you will see that when games are postponed the fans don't come as often to write.

Last, on the club level, there are rivalries. Rivalries drive emotion. They are built over decades, and the NT has not established any strong rivals, mainly because they rarely play the same opponents, and because they have been such bottom feeders for a century. Greece vs. Modlova does not exactly awaken the butterflies in my stomach the way Pao-Olympiakos does.

If I were in Greece I would go to the stadium to watch the NT, but I would not feel too guilty if I missed a game. Same goes for PAO games. Just like Greek clubs the NT needs to stop expecting "blind" support. If the entertainment level increases people will fill the stadiums.

Somehow I get the feeling that reporters, players, and fans seem to think that we must support the National Football Team because "it's Greek". But there are many Greek things we like, and even love, but we don't get obsessed about. "Feta" comes to mind.

Its not about profits and attendances. The Greek team plays in Greece, period. Afterall, the Greek taxpayer (ultimately the owner right?) will pay for the team to go play its home games abroad?) Taking teams abroad to cash in on hungry diaspora markets will ruin football. Just wait for friendlies, go to Greece, or wait till they play against your home country. Its more special event that way anyways...

There are Greek fan clubs.

I was sort of kidding about that. I know theyre will never be an official game outside greece ( unless theres some kind of penalty which they have to play out side). Its just I find it funny that the game in australia had the most passion of all. The point I was making is that there is more passion from greeks living out side greece, then greeks living in greece. I don't think I was too clear explaing it.

For one, Sparta Prague on a club level is a much bigger team and name than Moldova, though you refuse to accept this reality. Moldova has never posed a threat in football.....Sparta has progressed through the CL stages in recent memory. You have made this anti-sparta crap out of nothing yet again and put them on the same level as Molde in comparison. Sparta again, has better CL record than OSFP in recent memory, bigger players than anything in all of Greek league history, and is simply way more significant a city than MOLDE. Its fact, face it already. Enough on the anti-Sparta s%$#!, the embarassing part is teams you swear are better in Greece and Cyprus would be envious of n what Sparta has had and still can be in potential.

Also a 1/2 series playoff game is a lot different than a on of several group round games. Not mention that its the most important game for the european season (because if its not won its over essentially) where as Greece Moldova is not as big a deal. You wont see major crowds for PAO-Panthrakikos either.....

Anyways.......I think Ive had all there is to say on this topic. There is a reason that people post less, its not maybe, but exacly having to do with the limited amount of news that goes with a national team because its off/ on. People do support the team, and people are critical of the team at the same time...There are fans at their trainings too ....

For goodness sake Drakos, it's you blowing it out of proportion. I gave Sparta as an example of a game that wasn't the most glamourous tie in the world. If you prefer you can focus on games against other unglamourous games like Molde, Roseborg, Sochaux, etc. I'm trying to make the point that your explanation to the issue we're considering doesn't stand, i.e. that fans aren't going because Moldova is a small team and the fans can watch it on tv. This is because when our club teams play games that are big games the fans still fill the stadiums. Furthermore, the fact that the Swiss game (which is a big game against noteworthy opposition) isn't bringing in the fans either proves that your explanation doesn't really stand. Why you're trying to focus on the quality of Sparta in a completely seperate discussion is beyond me.

IMO it sounding like more Greeks diaspora bashing the Greeks about loyalty, why arent they like this etc....

:blink:

Thanks for all your great replies so far guys. Some interesting ones:

HELLENE: maybe the live TV keeps fans from turning up at the gate? the other argument here is, when many sporting events are on, or it is a saturday night, fans can at times stay away from the gates...

GCP:  ...the heartaches I received from the ethniki, after 2004, has caused me to wonder why I even bother to watch/listen to their matches. Mediocrity at best is all they've ever displayed, except for Euro 2004 which was a beauty to behold. Someone needs to remind Kara that there's a great deal of difference on the level of play between the Italian NT and ours. (gcp)

AS5664: I mean, look at the lineup, practically the same tired team since 2001! The last sold out match in Greece was the Turkey qualifier at Karaiskaki, and what a disappointment. Before that, OAKA was pretty full for the, then important, Ukraine WC qualifier; again disappointing line-up, stodgy play and finally disgraceful loss.

These are all good points... in summary, the reasons that the fans don't turn up is because:

1) TV

2) Heartache and mediocre play = lack of entertainment.

3) Disappointments in big games.

But these are all factors that could be applied to our club sides. TV shows all the games. Heartache is plentiful = PAO haven't won the league in over a decade yet the support is still strong, Olympiakos had never won an away game in the CL, that didn't stop 5k fans travelling to Rome the year before, and 4k travelling to Bremen to win. In other words, all our club teams have been ena bourdelo kai miso for years now yet the fans stand by the clubs in a much more fanatical fashion. The question is why?

Cyberfish makes some very interesting points, particularly

CYBERFISH: I grew up with the NT being a complete joke. Through coaches who were placed because of their connections, and players who played because the newspapers patronized them to death. I never built the tight bond with the NT that I have developed with PAO through my childhood years.

This is very interesting indeed. Is the lack of enthusiasm due to the fact that the Greek NT hasn't been embedded into the public's heart and psyche? That's a fantastic point. However what would it take to reverse this trend? Winning Euro 2004 must have changed that for many people? What about the younger generation who haven't experienced 3 decades of the bs that Cyberfish is pointing to. As for the feta example, I don't agree re file. Of course we don't have to obsess about a particular Greek food, but as football fans how can we not be eternally faithful to a team that not only represents us to the world but that has also brought us sooo much happiness?

approx. 9,000-10,000 tunred up to Karaiskaki last night

very dissapointing i must say....regardless of reasons...

Otto even said post match maybe the quality of opposition keeps fans away, but this will be justified wednesday when we play switzerland...

it better be a sell out otherwise us greek fans should be ashamed....

jesus...even the Australian NT gets packed houses and football isnt even the national sport....and australia is within the Asian confederate, hardly exciting!!!

does anyone in these forums actually live in athens? reason i ask, what are the greeks at street level in athens thinking and actually saying?

they should have a sports reporter roam the cafes when the game is on and pose the question to the youth of athens.....

very interested to hear the replies.......

paidia....in all seriousness, go to http://www.contra.gr/

and click on eikones from the game this morning....to the left of main articles

the expression on the faces of our players after goals is very funny...

two things i interpret...

1. they are enjoying themselves

2. they are a tight knit group and are having fun

bravo paidia...its a shame on us greek fans only 9,000 tur :gr: :gr: :gr: ned up!!!

Charisteas commented on the lack of support and expressed his disappointment over having to come to Greece to an empty stadium. DUDE, i think he read your post before the match, as he used the English fans as an example :LOL:

We are probably the most incorrigible people on the planet. LMFAO!! :LOL:

Archived