Phantis Forums

Supporting Greece?

DUDE

the players seem to "need" it more than the fans....

i for one interpret this as a positive.....when they complain they are truly playing for the shirt...

this a learning process, not only for the team but for the fans as well....the demands and expecatations on the natioal team were never so high....this team, until04, was always an afterthought...now its different...the team has improved, yet the fan supoort has not grown with it....so haristeas point (along with some other outspoken players) is if your demands are high then your supoort should be as well....

lots of good pionts made here by everyone.....

an ironic twist....club level loyalty may be higher, but the teams, especially the starting lineups and goal scoeres are largely foreign......hehehhe....who you rooting for?

re dude you cannot compare osfp fans to the ethniki!!!!!

they are a club!!!! and with numerous organised fans clubs!!!!

I too wish that the ethniki could provide a culdren of passion for away teams to fear but its just not how it is.

I think the only solution is to have fans clubs and cheep tickets but i still dont think that will brake the "I'll see it better from my TV" attitude, but also concider...how many athenians have been to the parthenon?? I ahve been about 4 times and I dont live there, my friends and cousins in athens who have lived there for upwards of 30 years tell me they have never been. "I can go tomorrow if I want to" , or my friend who is from athens said this "mmm I lived in athens for 20 years and never went to the f^&*ing acropolis....oh actually one time but I was too drunk to walk all the way up"

the thing is that clubs are instilled into people from a very young age, they attend the accademies/play for youth teams, they watch the games with their best friends, their fathers and unlces etc its like a male bonding kind of thing. Then when they are old enough they go to the matches with the same group of people and this experience is hightened by the chants and raw passion the "terraces" provide....all in all CLUBS are more than just a club its a true part of one's identity.

It also makes it easier to be involved/get caught up in violence. Say I sang the Pao gama tin Aek tin putana chant at an aek fan, i have not only just offened him, but also his club, his friends, his community basically all the above put together....

you dont really have that for the ethniki, when was the last time there were fights at an ethniki match between us and them??? I cannot recall an incident bar the osfp vs pao BS at the turkey match a while back.

Im not trying to be "pro fighting" or "pro hooligan" but it is something legitimate to concider in this debate. when it comes to ones identity and pride...

For example I am PAO, I Love PAO and I will Always, but can I truely understand the hatred between PAO and OSFP???

I think the passion and "hatred" will only be extended when I finally live in athens and attend their matches all the time etc etc

rant over

on another note, some one said ausy filled their stadiums all the time...Australia is totally nationalist, a game of tidly winks could fill the MCG if it was a world cup final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the australians wank over sport all the time....

What was pethetic is that you could hear the away supporters chating "MOLDOVA, MOLDOVA, MOLDOVA". how many away supporters were there?

Yes, they were even on screen for a couple of seconds... they were with about ... ten? :rolleyes:

PAO_OR_DEATH, I understand that Greece doesn't have a "thyra" like clubs do. I'm not expecting a Gate 13 atmosphere, but at the very least the atmosphere should be like it was during Euro 2004. Hooliganism is not something to aspire too, so it's good that fans aren't fighting against other nations' fans, but that isn't the only way to express yourself in a great atmosphere.

He's 100% right... they are always filling the stadiums. Now if one does say "but England are a big team that plays attacking football", then look at Scotland's games, or N.Ireland's, or Wales', etc. Cyprus are arguably better than these teams and have you seen the atmosphere they generate at NT games?

the media plays a massive part in england, every radio station was talking about the match vs kazakhstan who's going to play who should play they were talking about the opposition constant billing and hyping of the match, i'm not sure what the media in greece are like with regards to hyping up an international match but i'm sure that has an impact on the attendance and atmosphere, they even talk about getting behind the team hyping up wembley and talk about making wembley a fortress.

the scots always seem to sell out and have a great atmosphere despite having a small population, as for wales their matches are always played infront of empty seats

Here's my take people, Karagounis comments are right on the spot, if the Greek fans do not come out and fill up the stadium during a Euro or World Cup qualifier, then from what I see they simply lost there passion for national patriotism. :(

Most of you guys made some very good points on how things can change if our national team or perhaps Otto Rehhagel can really push the fans in coming back to support Greece just like they do in supporting there clubs.

Our Greek National Team gotta get something going after there disappointing EURO 2008 performance.

:gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr:

HELLAS EIMASTE MAZI SAS ! ! ! ! !

Js1000 = the media plays a massive part in england, every radio station was talking about the match vs kazakhstan who's going to play who should play they were talking about the opposition constant billing and hyping of the match, i'm not sure what the media in greece are like with regards to hyping up an international match but i'm sure that has an impact on the attendance and atmosphere, they even talk about getting behind the team hyping up wembley and talk about making wembley a fortress

the scots always seem to sell out and have a great atmosphere despite having a small population, as for wales their matches are always played infront of empty seats .

This is true... apart from HUGE games the Greek media always promotes club football over international football, even during the international period. But again this begs the question, is it the media that leads the English peoples' passion for their NT and the Greek public's relative disinterest or is the media merely a reflection of society, i.e. the public/fans don't really care so the media gives them what they want, news on club football?

From my personal experience, alot of Greeks seem disgruntled with their nation. If I'm not mistaken a recent poll found that Athenians are the most unhappy with their surroundings than any other people in the world (the article was on the phantis community boards). Because of this Greeks, particularly Athenians, are very divided and individualistic, and a sense of community doesn't really exist. Because of this the idea of a "national" team that unifies the nation and represents the whole country simply doesn't sell. Of course this is just a theory that I'm not even sure that I believe, it's just one that I'm considering based on the poll. I hope this theory doesn't hold weight but I can't see how any other explanation covers this.

Anyway, whatever the case, we need to be standing by our NT and I hope the fans come flooding back.

As for the venue of the games I'd be all for trying to hold them away from Athens, but with the exception of Cyprus I wouldn't be for holding it abroad. Toumba was a catastrophy so why not try Kleanthis Vikelidis until PAO's or AEK's new stadiums are ready? It's a tight stadium and the seats are close to the pitch so the atmosphere should be good.

Nah... it looks like a corn field. The stadium has to be of a top flight level.

LOL :LOL:

Thats harsh, but I do see your point.

Maybe he meant the completed Asteras stadium. Its tipped to hold about 15000 fans.

They should play most if their matches away from Athens. Places like Larissa and Patra.

i agree the atomspher is disapointing. Greek fans dont go nuts over the team like that. Maybe fans are still a bit down after that crap Euro performance....

I think it must be because of the poor performance. The NT have to put a good product out, too atract bigger audience. IMo they are playing great right now, but they werent before. Thats why people have come less and less. I agree with some of the points about patriotism. After eurobasket 2008 every greek was so proud and wanted to supprt anything greek. How ever, since then greek sports have been terrible. Olympics were bad, the football team was bad, the eurobasket was poor, while our teams were doing good at club level. Pao won euroleague basket, olympiakos went to the round of 16 in bball etc. So the people are obviesly going to support what is going good.

I dont care who shows up at the switerland game. If they are green, yellow, red, black, chating who cares what. As long as they are supporting something greek and not chirpping another team, or targeting specific players I will be happy. Lets see how it goes. Should easily sell our Karaiskaki, which Imo is still small for a national team game.

Kleanthis Vikelidis

What stadium is that? Is that where Aris play? If it is, it could be a legit choice, but Id rather the one where Iraklis play if it was held in thesseloniki. I would rather it go to patra. Patrnini are very nationalistic.

Archived