Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos - Levadiakos

cyberfish

I wish this was not such an 'easy' contest on paper. A derby after Anorthosi would have kept everyone's focus, but now there is a lot of room for distraction. There is a danger of the game entering the players' mind only when they step on the pitch.

Needless to say, I hope Antoniou and 10CT keep the team focused on the task which is to win the title this year. If they do, the bad games, and the loss to Anorthosi will be diminished.

The task is to beat Levadiakos, and unfortunately, after Anorthosi, Panathinaikos must win convincingly. If they don't dominate, questions will still linger and go on.

Some reports already indicate that we'll see changes in the lineup with Tzorva, Roukavina, and Gabriel making their debut in the starting lineup. It's all speculative because up to now no report has been able to guess 10CT's lineup. It might be a case where reporters put their best ideas forward and dress them as "report".

I'd like us to experiment with a one-DM formation (and you know I am a big fan of the 2DM formation), especially for games against weaker competition. I am not saying we should do it all the time, just that we could play some games, or part of some games with only one DM. 10CT tried this in one of the friendlies this summer. I can't remember which one, I just remember he pulled Ninis deep next to the DM (Ninis was lost in that position BTW, but it was only one game).

Do you think we'll see

---------------------Tzorvas------------------

Gabriel------Goumas---Simao---Spyropoulos

--------------Mattos---Gilberto--------------

Salpigidis--------Cleyton--------Ivanschitz

---------------------Roukavina----------------

?

I am stymied trying to guess the lineup. I don't think Roukavina can play as a lone CF (maybe he does), an when it came to typing our CB's I had to pause. I have more confidence in Simao to be honest, but I think he would be better next to Mattos. But I have not lost faith in Gilberto yet. He does not strike me as a slacker and he might be one of these types that cannot find good form early in a season. As for Gabriel, if we paid all this money for him, let's give him a chance to prove himself. Like I said before, we gave Vintra more than enough chances to be a RB, why not try it with someone else? What's the worst that can happen? Would we concede more goals against weaker teams?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18-man squad for the game has been announced.

Gilberto, Goumas, Moon, Tziolis, Nilsson are out.

Mantzios, Karagounis, Leontiou are injured.

This means htat the only two DMs available are Mattos, Simao, I am not sure if Siontis is in the 18 but he must be otherwise 10CT did not take 18 players.

I also see only five defenders on the squad: Gabriel, Melissis, Sariegi, Spyropoulos, Vintra, and I see six AM/wingers: Cleyton, Ivan, Ninis, Lazaros, Roukavina, Salpi.

I am curious to see how we'll play this one. But I'll venture to guess here on the fate of a few players: Nilsson seems not to be in the plans any longer. I think he is paying for being in place to stop Ibrahimovic twice but twice he was too soft on the ball in Inter's first goal.

Also, I think Ten Cate had his fill with trying Goumas and maybe he might still be upset a Goumas' criticism. I read somewhere that Gilberto questioned the game plan in Cyprus and I get the feeling Ten Cate is not taking it from anyone. For those who did not see the report, apparently Gilberto complained that the team had the wrong system against Anorthosis. He said that there was no one in the box to be the recipient of the high balls, and Ten Cate asked him "then why did you play with high balls?". Maybe Gilberto is paying for this, in addition to his sub-par game up to now.

Not sure why Moon is out, but Ten Cate said that Moon missed his assignment in Anorthosis' second goal. I guess he is willing to forgive mistakes (like Sariegi's) but he does not like missed assignments and soft play.

One thing is for sure; we'll see an entirely new team once again.

well its a very strange lineup. playing with the 2-3-3 formation.

Vyntra again. What the hell is going on. Gabriel in RB.....so basically were playing Sariegui and Spyropoulos in the back. Melissis cant even get a start? I havent seen him in training, but i have seen Loukas Vyntra 5 seasons at PAO, and I can guarantee you, with full confidence Melissis is a class above. Our team may suck ass, but Henk Ten Cate isnt making things better by using our crap players, and wholesaleing the team every match day. Gkoumas is our best defender hands down. Be it sad, be it TRUE.

I dont see the point of having Moon and Gabriel on the team. Send Gabriel packing. They are the exact same player, only Bryce is faster.

I predict a 3-2 PAO win

not vintra again!!!!!!!!!

i was so happy when I heard he was leaving PAO but now.....

I think PAO has to "hold on for dear life" for the next 11 SL games then someone needs to get rid of 7-9 players....you all know who....and get some quality defenders before its too late.

also, wtf is goping on in 10cates mind???? he is starting to remind me of OTTO but in the reverse

I see a sloppy 2-0

I think PAO has to "hold on for dear life" for the next 11 SL games then someone needs to get rid of 7-9 players

Or maybe 16-17 just to be on the safe side...

Anyway, according to some reports, HTC might field a 4-1-3-2 with Mattos as the lone DM, Iv, Kley, Ruka at AM and Salpi finally next to Sousa. I find it hard to believe but it might be a good idea not only because we need two FWs to compliment each other and apply some pressure but also because I think that both Gilberto and Mattos are what they call a "5" in Brazil: the player who plays in front of the two CBs and covers up for everybody leaving the AMs to do the creative bit. This is why they only play short and quick passes and this is also probably why they don't seem to cover as much space as one might have thought. So, all in all, maybe they play better on their own.

However, I must say this: if HTC meant to make these changes anyway, that's fine. But if he didn't, a manager who makes radical changes under pressure or after an overwhelming defeat or because the chairman is not happy is not a good sign. And this is the first negative comment I make about him. I still think that Peseiro lost the trophy exactly because he succumbed to those who insisted that he should play differently.

I am also unsettled by the way in the media it seems as if Pateras and Andoniou are leaning on 10CT to change the way the team plays. I understand that management can (and should) re-iterate the goals and expectations to a coach, but if it went beyond that to suggest formations and technical matters it's wrong. We don't know that of course unless one of the three present in the meeting talked to reporters.

I am really curious to see the formation today. If it turns out that we field only one DM, I'd be curious to see how it works out. Would we be a scoring machine or would Levadiakos find room to roam? I am not sure these reporters know much. It might be another case where they write what they think, and then if the team does not do well, they start complaining the coach does not do the right thing (the thing they think is the right thing).

The lineup is announced:

--------------Tzorvas--------------

Gabriel---Vitnra--Sariegi--Spyro

--------------Mattos---------------

Cleyton------Roukavina--Ivan

---------Salpi-------Sousa------

Not sure if Clayton or Roukavina will play in the middle. We'll see during the game.

Good lineup as far I as I am concerned. Good luck to the team. I hope for a good game with many goals.

TAKE OUT SARIEGUI FOR GOUMAS OR MELISSIS.

Aye aye Captain! I am getting right to it. :LOL:

The game is under way. it looks like Cleyton is on the left, Ivan a little further in. I see Roukavina next to Sousa and Salpi out on the right wing. It might change but that's how we started.

We really should let Melissis play!! We also should have kept N'Doye and loaned out or given Mantzios(I knew he would never play for us again after that s%$#! he pulled in practice) away, and we need to play Ninis more holy s%$#! already! Anyways I'm excited that Roukavina is back I want to see him constantly in the lineup he is going to be a good one. Anyways its going to be a good game I hope. We need a very convincing win after all the s%$#! we had endured this past few weeks!

1) Good job by HTC to play Sarriegi. Since we have no CBs to spare, he shouldn't burn this card so early in the season.

2) Good ball movement.

3) Ruka combines passion/power with skill. I love that.

4) Good position holding by Gabriel.

5) I said after the Ano game that when Cleyton looks like your best player you know you 're in trouble. Well, when he looks like a second class player compared to the others, like he does today, you know you 're on to sthing.

First time in recent memory that we are playin with the ball down and quick passes that are not concentrated in our half.... Excellent half if u minues the first 15 minutes which were mostly a way of gettin be comfortable in the new system.... excellent half. We missed two sitters but we scored two others. id like to see us run up a score for once and not stop at 2 or 3.

Ante Rukavina will be a good one.

Cyber... im still waiting on the whole Melissis thing.

1) Good job by HTC to play Sarriegi. Since we have no CBs to spare, he shouldn't burn this card so early in the season.

2) Good ball movement.

3) Ruka combines passion/power with skill. I love that.

4) Good position holding by Gabriel.

5) I said after the Ano game that when Cleyton looks like your best player you know you 're in trouble. Well, when he looks like a second class player compared to the others, like he does today, you know you 're on to sthing.

:o

Keep the faith Titus (or add a few of them emoticons if you are being facetious)

H-T: 2-0

A glimpse of some really good development. It helps that Levadiakos does not defend en mase but they try to move forward. But they don't have the skill to test us.

From what I see so far, I like the lineup. Sariegi is good, and Spyropoulos is having a good game as well. Gabriel is playing conservative, but his 'drifting' towards the middle was instrumental in the first goal.

Vintra had more than his fill of errant passes, Ivan is really good at that position where he helps with good first balls coming out of defense and when he moves forward as a third forward. Mattos is his usual good DM, Salpi missed a coupe of sitters but scored the first of the season with a smart move to intercept the ball. Roukavina is class! nice moves and style (we always forget about that). Cleyton had some good and bad moments.

Second half is under way. We need at least two more goals so small teams don't come to OAKA taking their chances thinking that the worst that can happen is losing by one or two goals.

Archived