Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos - Inter

cyberfish

One thing about commentators: just after the one of them was commenting about how PAO was playing well and something to the effect of showing signs of endangering Inter, the Italians go down and immediately score their 1st.

It drives me crazy when they say things like this player has never missed a penalty, just before they go out and do just that. GRRRRRRRRRRR

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing about commentators: just after the one of them was commenting about how PAO was playing well and something to the effect of showing signs of endangering Inter, the Italians go down and immediately score their 1st.

It drives me crazy when they say things like this player has never missed a penalty, just before they go out and do just that. GRRRRRRRRRRR

What's worse... the English commentators on Sky Sports Xtra were saying "Panathinaikos are pushing for an equaliser, but you get the feeling Inter can win this at any time". At full time they said "Inter deserved the 3 points, Panathinaikos only really came back into this game in the 2nd half because Inter took their foot of the gas!" <_<

Last year Olympiakos gave Real a heart attack in the Bernabeau and earned a draw against them at home. Fener beat Inter at home, Besiktas beat Liverpool. The year before AEK beat Milan, Shakhter beat Barcelona. Before that Olympiakos beat Liverpool and there are other examples of teams with similar ability to ours that manage to claim the scalps of big teams in front of their fanatical crowds. We should not be content with losing 0-2 in a game against a limited Inter team. They were there for the taking today and we failed. Maybe I'm setting my hopes too high and this is why I'm so disappointed but I believe we could have won today. :tdown:

http://www.goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?Co...tenutoId=868830

It's good to see that someone else agrees with me. This is a great read and hopefully something that greek teams will take into account.

Sure we could have won, like I said before the game, what the hell kind of a line up is that? One striker up front? This is what he SHOULD have done: Goumas, Sarriegi, Spyro, Nilsson, Gilberto, Kara, then Ninis on the right and Ivan on the left, Salp and Rukavina. WHAT THE FREAKIN' HELL IS SO COMPLICATED ABOUT THAT? The first thing a coach should know how to do is which players to start. Thats step 1. If you don't have that down, you're screwed. If this guy doesn't make any changes soon then he's out of here by December because we are not off to a good start this season; domestically and in Europe. Remember last year? We were much better at the beginning. Now having said that yeah we put together some good plays during the game but Inter were better and had control. So, not good enough!

4 in the back vs Inter? We couldnt do it with 5 man. We would have been trounced 2-0 down in the first 25 mins with 4 in th back.

HTC didnt do anything wrong I think. He had to come out conservative. We just dont have the luxury of putting more numbers forward, because our back line is as stable as 2 legged chair! Thats the managements fault, and nobody elses........logia polla kai metagrafes pou8ena!

not complaining about the other players, but whats the point of looking for Gilberto's and Sousa's, and 2 rightbacks, when theres no centerbacks? Seriously, we sent away Nassief Morris only to get nobody else even? Morris made problems but could make a good game. With the CB's totally lacking in any pure CB, Nassief would be quite a vital player on this team and we send him away- thats sad.

I think the team (and us) need to put this game behind. There were many positives and negatives that came out of this contest. We lost the game and the players and HTC should learn from the mistakes, but, speaking for myself, I appreciated the effort on the pitch.

We lost the game, and we lost Karagounis for a month (he'll miss the game @ Anorthosi)

Panathinaikos fans won their own little trophy:

http://www.goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?Co...tenutoId=868830

It's good to see that someone else agrees with me. This is a great read and hopefully something that greek teams will take into account.

This mentality is something I've spoken about constantly and ultimately it's the fans fault for not demanding more. I remember coming to the boards after PAO's horrible performance against Lens at home last year. I expected people to be furious and various posters were pleased!! :blink: As Greek fans we need to be demanding more from our clubs.

@Drakos: How can you say that HTC didn't do anything wrong? He had little Simao marking a giant Ibra. Why not get my yiayia to fight Mike Tyson too?

Antoniadis said if we had Kyriako Ibrahimovic would be checked. He confirmed that they are already scouting for a CB in December and for one more positon (which one? CF?).

http://www.exedrasports.gr/default.asp?pid...d=9140&catid=24

He's right!

@Clover I think getting Tziolis to mark Ibra might have been a good idea. But if it backfired we still would have been moaning. So I still think Sarriegui was the most logical step.

Anyway, it's over now and it's good to know PAO are looking for a CB.

@Drakos: How can you say that HTC didn't do anything wrong? He had little Simao marking a giant Ibra. Why not get my yiayia to fight Mike Tyson too?[/b][/color]

Its not like Simao is my first choice to mark Ibra either man.

We dont have anybody that can mark the guy and play CB. NOBODY.

Vyntra - youre kidding me. Vyntra couldnt mark your giagiaka either!

Melissis - has barely played - thats just a major risk

Morris - oh we dont have him

Gkoumas - too slow,he needs to lead the backline, not commit to 1 player

Sariegui - obviously the other choice, but its a tough choice to make.

Siontis - absolutley not

Simao, is a faster, much more physical player and marker. Sarieggui has been quite awful and folds in half. Simao, not the most exeperienced CB, but in terms of physical condition and intensity, Simao clearly shows the upper hand, hes without any doubt whatsoever among the most fit and physical players on our squad, easily. Under no circumstance could Jose done better, and id say its very unlikley hed do as just as good. Id say a 3-0 Inter with Simao out for Jose.

Its not a set of great choices, but hes the best we had. I think you support Sariegui, but go back to the AEK game and see why Jose just didnt have as much of a chance. HTC went for the physical game (what Ibra is about) and thats all we could do with what he had. I think HTC with what he had did well- I honestly didnt expect PAO to ever deserve an equalizer in the game after the 1-0, and press, run, attack and make some actually great chances...You cant blame HTC for the loss on this one man. That would just be outrageous. PAO has no resources in terms of a back line, whatsoever. Were using a physical DM as a fulltime centerback, because we have nothing.

And btw, I dont suggest you through Mike Tyson in front of your yiayia...its a jab vs a fapa its a tough match! :P

And theyre scouting for a CB for December

Im sorry, but yes they better get a CB. The team will not be in title contention with a full year of this rubbish back line. It was retarted, to not pay Sotiris, and suck up the pride to make a great team.

It could cost us in Europe. If by some great fortune we stay in Europe, forget going any further without a CB signed in the winter break.

And also, we better have the signings starting ASAP.

If they do the slack around - unprepared last minute s%$#!, AGAIN, we will not take a title, AGAIN. As soon as the deadline opens, players should be coming in and transfers should be PRE completed. Beleive it or not, its possible. No BS February transfers where they play 1/2 of the second part of the league.

I swear if we start the late signing s%$#! again, we can kiss this title goodbye. Get them early - the sooner they are here, the sooner they play. Virtually every signing gets a 3-4 week "buffer" before they start getting any playing time. It always happens. It will be 5-6 weeks before they are regularly integrated.......aplos etsi ginetai all the time. EARLIER BETTER!

Malezani was in OAKA for this contest and he gave an interview about PAO.

I was listening to Hristos Kontos on erasport this afternoon and he said that Malezani is a real Panathinaikos fan. He watches the team and follows it from afar. Kontos knows him, and he said that he came to PAO as a professional and he left as a Panathinaikos fan :tup:

It's funny because yesterday I watched the PAO-Inter game again and I was thinking how much the team reminds me of the Malezani PAO against Udineze and Iraklis...

Malezani was in OAKA for this contest and he gave an interview about PAO.

I was listening to Hristos Kontos on erasport this afternoon and he said that Malezani is a real Panathinaikos fan. He watches the team and follows it from afar. Kontos knows him, and he said that he came to PAO as a professional and he left as a Panathinaikos fan :tup:

It's funny because yesterday I watched the PAO-Inter game again and I was thinking how much the team reminds me of the Malezani PAO against Udineze and Iraklis...

I liked Malezani, he may not have been the best coach but i liked him as a person.

I don't think pao looked like malesanis pao against udinese or iraklis. I mean inter had 3 great chances from great individual efforts by a superstar cf ibrahimovic. We had a post and an awesome chance by cleyton. Had we scored we'd be talking bout how great we were, football is a game of inches.

As for if we had kyrgiakos marking ibrahimovic, euro 2008 against Sweden, kyrgyakos looked like my giagia on ibrshimovics goal. It's all relative. Time to move on. We can def progress in this group. Little luck, like anotthodis against werder and anything can happen.

Sorry about the spelling I am on my iPhone

Poor Malesani had a much inferior roster to work with...

I have been furious at tzigger about letting Kyrgiako go to AEK.

He may have not been the solution vs Ibra, but with him our back line would have been much stronger.

Did anyone notice Gilberto missed the ball, on Inter's second goal?

Very similar to Simao's mistake of allowing the ball to bounce, instead of kicking it while in the air!

PEACE

Hey Trifili,

are you talking about the beginning of the play, when we lost possession? I think that was Cleyton. Gilbeto looks like he is one of the ones running back to defend (here is the goal)

It's hard to fault anyone for this one since we look like we had entered in reckless mode to score at all cost. I looked at the play over and over again. the team is nowhere in shape to defend against such nice counterattack.

Watch it: There are three players in a defensive line in midfield, and two players in this huge area between midfield and Inter box. Where are the other five payers? Probably waiting around Inter's box. So in this play it looks like a 3-2-5 system :LOL: Take a look at the huge space between defenders and forwards. I think the players, like we all did, felt that a goal was imminent and lost concentration. It's hard to blame anyone for this one. Maybe Cleyton (?) should have challenged for this first, loose, ball, but I can't really tell if he was close enough to have a chance.

Anyway, maybe this play epitomizes the difference between PAO and a mature European powerhouse. Panathinaikos should not have been in this shape. There is no reason to have five players around the box, and there should not be such huge open space between our lines. Once the ball was lost it became a 4 on 3 counterattack and a team like Inter (no matter how much we badmouth them) would not miss such a chance. Compare this with when we had similar chance in the first half. We never even came close to scoring. Also, Murinio should take some credit for this. He realized PAO was putting forwards in and entered Andriano to do exactly what he did. The guy is not just hype.

About Kyriako, I agree. He would have not stopped Ibarhimovic, but he would have owned Endinio (and just about every other CF in the superleague.

Archived