Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos - Inter

cyberfish

Yeah, young team, new coach, outplaying Inter all the way is not a sign to worry. The team will find its way and if they keep playing like that we'll be fine. Some fans will complain, and some complain about everything, but the truth is this a vastly improved team from last year.

As far as this group is concerned, nothing is lost. Bremen - Anorthosis 0-0 FT Yeah! Good job compatriots. :tup:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, young team, new coach, outplaying Inter all the way is not a sign to worry. The team will find its way and if they keep playing like that we'll be fine. Some fans will complain, and some complain about everything, but the truth is this a vastly improved team from last year.

I agree man just watching this game and the chances we missed where we could have been in the lead frustrates me to no end! I'll admit that we played very very good today too bad we had a def break down and we end up losing today instead of a win with all the chances we had. Oh well we will come in 2nd in this group none the less.

We didnt do bad today, we nearly tied it...but a lot is lacking in defense still, and our offense doesnt show too much promise. We cant make intelligent decisions, see space, look up.

Without a defense, this is the best you can do vs most CL teams. Some faseis, no guarantee of goal, while the defending has no ability to contain these guys even on a good day, makes the result a 0 pointer. Hopefully the management learns from these mistakes. Only if they learn from their failures will we be in good shape as a club. If they dont, we are screwed.

I dont have any compalints......we tried, we almost equalized, and HTC did the right thing and sent more forward...We knew we didnt have the backline, and we knew wed have some chances but no guarantee of scoring any...

However, Cyprus is next and its necesary to take and go for all 3 points, Bremen too. If we can get 6 out of 9 points in our first 3 were in good shape. Otherwise.......

But lets not overplay Inter though.....They are not great this year so far. They actually have had a habbit of letting up after taking a lead this year so far and dropping points...They have good players, but are not a super team, still the weakest of the pot 1 IMO. They are defeintley not CL favourites to win this year...

very happy with performance

i had a bad feeling bout result beforehand so am not that pissed off

commentators said one smart thing all game....gilberto should just concentrate on doing the same job at arsenal, a clear dm with short passes to AM and strikers and man marking etc bc at pao it seems we expect him and he tries to do more

i think mattos and cleyton and moon were our best

Ok this is what I think (before I get poisoned by news reports):

Good display on the pitch. We are one class below Inter and it showed on the field. The difference today was that Inter has these freaks of nature players like Ibrahimovic, Mancini, Andriano. How players of such size can move like they do is beyond me.

Panathinaikos needs to keep their cool and to build upon this excellent performance. A win at Cyprus and in Germany is not beyond our capabilities.

Henk Ten Cate surprised us all with with the lineup but in retrospect he was right. I am impressed with the way he read the game before hand, and the way he kept stepping up the attack. Let's see some of the moves.

He left Spyropoulos out. Spyro has been out of form for a while now and Nilsson was excellent as a LB. Inter kept trying to move the ball on his side but they never managed to become dangerous. He did not move forward but this was probably the plan.

He put Moon in. A 22 year old in his second game with PAO! I don't thin there was anyone who was not impressed with the kid who came and was tried for two months before he was signed. He is a RB, but he spend most of his time tormenting Maxwell down the right wing. He was unlucky not to score, and he will be hard to dislodge from the lineup after this performance.

Three CBs (Goumas, Vintra, Simao). I can't argue with the move, and I don't think Sariegi or Melissis would have done anything better.

Started Mattos and Cleyton. Both played very well and helped in the area of their responsibility.

About the formation, he started the game with a tight 5-3-2 but with Moon playing so aggressive and both DMs pressing successfully high, we never looked like we were playing a defensive game. It was more like a 4-3-3 with Vintra covering on the right and Moon playing on the wing.

We lost this game only because Inter had superior talent on attack and on defense.

The first goal was all Ibrahimovic. Our players did not do anything wrong (except Simao should have risked a yellow with a foul in the beginning of the play - but he is too young and he thought he could jump with the big boy) so it's hard to blame the team or the lineup or the transfers. Kyriakos had a heck of a time against Ibrahimovic in the Euro. I say this because at one point I though that maybe if we had bought Kyriakos things could have been different.

The second goal came in a moment when we risked it all with five forwards, three defenders, and two exhausted DMs. So it's hard to blame anyone for it. Nevermind the horrible play by our defense that was caught flat-footed on a counter.

Galinovic played exactly the way we want him to play. He saved a couple of excellent shots in the first half hour, and after that he just watched the game from afar. Neither goals were his fault.

Moon, I wrote about. He played way better than I could have asked for. Hat's off to the kid for his poise and skill.

Nilsson has been seen by the fans as a mediocre player, but he is steady as they go. He won't win the game, but he won't lose it either. Good game plugging the left with meaningful and mature play.

Goumas had a so-so game. Not bad, but he should have swept that play in the first goal. He was unlucky that the ball fell into Ibrahimovic feet who saw Mancini running in space.

Vintra was not bad either. He did not make any huge mistakes and fans only complain about him out of habit.

Gilberto looked sluggish in the first half, but he really picked up his game in the second.

Mattos was all over the midfield. Tenacious marking and running up and down.

Cleyton was pretty good and he should have scored in this beautiful combination play that he curled in with his left foot.

Salpigidis for 70 minutes was a monster. He was a headache for the entire Inter defense but never found space in the box.

Karagounis left early with an injury, but I though Ivanchitz was an improvement down the left with excellent runs and crosses. His set piece delivery was again an extra threat.

Christodoulopoulos had one beautiful shot that was deflected by the goalkeeper but beyond that I don't remember him doing anything.

I think Roukavina would have been perfect for this contest to come in the second half, but he was injured.

We have three really tough games ahead:

@ Aris (if we don't win it will be another uphill year for the title)

Against Ergotelis who are playing really well so far

@ Anorthosis where we need an absolute win to keep our chances alive for the second spot.

The fans were great! HTC is talking right now and he said "we have the best fans in Europe" :tup:

Three CBs (Goumas, Vintra, Simao). I can't argue with the move, and I don't think Sariegi or Melissis would have done anything better.

I disagree, I don't think HTC's tactics were quite spot on. Simao was terrorised by Ibrahimovic's power. It's was a complete mismatch and cost PAO the game. How on earth can you have a kid who's body body is still developing against a 6"3 muscly striker? It was stupid. Sarriegui should have played instead.

Also, it became apparent quite early on that Salpi (who played well) was isolated. Every cross that went into the box was easily dealt with. This happened for 2 reasons... (1) The absence of a big man up front (namely Souza), (2) The inability to get midfielders making late runs into the box. That's what happens when you play 3 cbs. Nonetheless playing a more attacking formation would have left holes at the back, so in reality I can't blame HTC for that. But Souza should have come on earlier.

Having said all this, retrospect is a wonderful thing and the reality is that PAO played very well and with a better central defender or 2 in the ranks we could have been celebrating a win tonight. There were many positives from the game tonight... Gilberto ran the midfield, Moon showed tremendous potential (although he does have poor ball control), Ivan was very good, and the fans were amazing (Gate 13 at least, I have no idea what the rest of the stadium was doing!). PAO is def capable of qualifying from this group, but only if the players replicate the desire they showed tonight.

The fans were great! HTC is talking right now and he said "we have the best fans in Europe"

Really? :tup: Does anyone have an internet source for this? I want to show it to my English friends who think that Liverpool and Celtic have the world's best fans! :LOL:

Really?  :tup: Does anyone have an internet source for this? I want to show it to my English friends who think that Liverpool and Celtic have the world's best fans!  :LOL:

Here you go DUDE.

I hope they can read Greek :D

http://www.sportdog.gr/new/article.aspx?id=75643

BTW, Simao is our bigger defender. Sariegi is even smaller than Goumas. Simao is an excellent, and one of our most physical players. It's unfortunate that he was against one of the best in the world today.

I have written before in these forums about our lack of height that we'll be paying for all season long. However, I think it's a conscious decision to go with better ball handlers to contribute to development, instead of the towers that we are used to. We'll see how it pans out.

Great game by Pao. THat was a very entertaining game to watch. It showed there is still some bright spots in greek football. Pao ran the game. That Italien style pisses me off so much, where Inter get lucky a couple times on a counter attack and just chill in the back with 5 defenders. Its smart. They can generate offence out of nothing. Ibrhimavic was phenominal in the first half. Every touch he had was dangerous. The result could have got differently if Karagounis was healthy.

Pao played really good, had they done better when they got within 25 yards of the net, it could have been a 3-1 game .. I think Karagounis was missed but Ivan played good too. Btw who the hell is Bryce Moon! What a player! He was very good. Gilberto and Clayton were really good too. Cleyton had a lot called agastn him that wasnt fair. Should have scored though... almost hit the top left .

The onyl problem Pao had was containing Ibra. The two center backs were horrible. Pao need to invest in that. I have said before that they didnt have to buy taht many attacking players and buy at least 1 CB. 1 extra center back on this Pao team would scare me as an Oly fan.

Btw fans were good. Finally pao are getting some support.

Those rangers and celtic and liverpool fans and whoeever fans who think there fans are the best, are the biggest jokes of the world! :P

The Uk and western europe aint got nothing on east europe and south america!

I didn't see the game, had to work, but from what I read @ hear, PAO showed that "we belong" in Europe. I hope we built on this, BUT, BUT, we have to focus on the domestic league as well.

Anyway, this game didn't harm us (probably helped our morale), because Inter was the favorite to win 1st. Losing 2 games to Inter by anyone in this group is OK. It's what happens in the rest of the matches that will determine who gets what.

If PAO takes care of Werder and Anorthosis, we'll move on.

Now, I've got to find videos of the game/goals... :blink:

The score is not indicative of the game. PAO played very well and a score of 2-1 or at least 1-1 would have been more apropos.

Tet impressed me with his selection, his coaching etc. I hope it's a sign of things to come. What was eveident is the lack of a "closer". The team created chances but failed to score. A Gekas-type player is definately needed during the Jan transfer period.

If you care about the result alone , this was a bad day for EuroPAO.

If however you enjoy watching PAO play better than in previous years, then it was an encouraging performance, blemished by a couple letdowns...

The difference in this game was the effectiveness of Inter's play, particularly Ibrahimovic and Andriano. That is why they cost 10X more than PAO players.

An excellent player makes his money by scoring with the few chances he gets.

They had half of PAO's chances and scored twice. In that helped our defensive hick-ups as well.

Overall good effort and a performance to build upon...

If we play smart, avoid the few costly mistakes on both ends of the field, then second spot may be within our reach.

Min 9 points to hope for something.

The Germans are beatable.

Any points dropped with Anorthosis equate to third or worse.

Although this was not a truly memorable night, I must say it is good to be back.

ELLAS EUROPH PANATHINAIKOS :gr:

PEACE

well a loss is still a loss.

Im glad we did play well, could make chances and figure out the Inter defense, finishing was unlucky. I thought for sure Clayton and Mooon's shots were going to be goals, and Lazaros on a slightly better shot would have done it too.

This referee was very poor - honestly, he could be your average superleague referee. Some ridiuclous calls not given and cards that were easily deserved...didnt affect the game, but these were blatant. Inter deserved way more yellows, and Im glad Ivanschitz got back and Maicon for his cheap shot challenge....both were clear yellow cards tho.....

But we still, offensively need to be sharper - some wasted possitions, not looking wide and into space when its all alone and aching to be passed to needs to be utilized. Clayton, looks better, but hes still not there yet....I feel like in time hes going to get better into the player we will thrive on.....

As a result, its poor. Looking at in in perspective, were almost a new team, we did fine, and made Inter work for it, and in the end, a 1-1 result was simply the deserved one. At least, in some positive, this win for Inter could see them on the road to qualification before we see them the 2nd time around and have an easier squad.....So I am hoping Inter beats Werder Ano etc...and when Drakos is in San Siro with the Lucky Kaskol PAO Qualifies! :P

What I dont like is: We didnt show nearly any of that intensity or commitment with AEK. We better do it vs Ano and Bremen, and every league game for that matter.

I also dont like the reason we lost. We lost with a bit of luck, but honestly, the team did great, and the one weakness in the side is what cost them a 2-0 and thats the one nobody spent anything on this summer. Its also the reason we didnt get any points vs AEK on our opening day. Managment made a BIG, arrogant f*** up and the results are paying for it on our centenial season. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Archived