Phantis Forums

WC 2010 predictions

Morphi

Hey!

Let's warm up for the qualifiers with the predictions on who is going to finish top and runner up in each group.

Group 1

Portugal

Sweden

Group 2

Greece

Switzerland

Group 3

Poland

Czech Republic

Group 4

Germany

Russia

Group 5

Spain

Turkey

Group 6

England

Croatia

(No, it won't happen again :not: )

Group 7

Romania

Serbia

(Far fetched, I know)

Group 8

Italy

Ireland

Group 9

Netherlands

Scotland

Guest TheLegend

I forgot the other zones:

South America

Brazil

Argentina

Paraguay

Uruguay

Asia

Group 1

Australia

Japan

Group 2

South Korea

Iran

Concacaf

USA

Mexico

Costa Rica

Canada

isnt brazil is a bad position now? not even near first? lost 2-0 to venezule they lost or tied colombia?

I wish brazil doesnt qualify. They have been sucking hard latey even worse than greece has they dont deserve s%$#!

South America

Brazil

Argentina

Paraguay

Uruguay

Asia

Group 1

Australia

Japan

Group 2

South Korea

Iran

Concacaf

USA

Mexico

Costa Rica

Canada

isnt brazil is a bad position now? not even near first? lost 2-0 to venezule they lost or tied colombia?

I wish brazil doesnt qualify. They have been sucking hard latey even worse than greece has they dont deserve s%$#!

Well, Brazil always makes it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!

Let's warm up for the qualifiers with the predictions on who is going to finish top and runner up in each group.

Group 1

Portugal

Sweden

Group 2

Greece

Switzerland

Group 3

Poland

Czech Republic

Group 4

Germany

Russia

Group 5

Spain

Turkey

Group 6

England

Croatia

(No, it won't happen again :not: )

Group 7

Romania

Serbia

(Far fetched, I know)

Group 8

Italy

Ireland

Group 9

Netherlands

Scotland

Before the qualifying started i agreed with everythign you wrote here execpt serbia over france, but after the first set of games things are going to be differnet. Heres what I think:

Group 1: Denmark looked good group 1 and could potential win the group if they keep playing how they did in portugal. Sweeden does not really do it for me. They are a very average team, just like greece.

GRoup 2: Greece will win this group, followed by isreal. Greece are very lucky to be in such a week group. The swiss will pay for the terrible result at home to luxembourg. Isreal are a young side (if im not mistaken) and players liek ben sahar can only get better.

Group 3 : Czech will probably end up beating poland, but well see. Im rooting for poland in that group. Mikael Zewlakow is the captain and i would love to see him do good. The Czech team is getting up there in age but still have enough in them to win the group.

GRoup 4: Germany and Russia. Not a hard group to call. Russia and germany are two really strong side. Im really impressed with this russian side and how strong they have become over the last few years. And we all know what germany is capable of.

Group 5 : If Turkey can paly consistant football they can make it. The game agasnt Belgium was not a good result. They were lucky to tie it up off a penalty. Had they not scored and lost to belgium at home, they could have been in a really deep hole. Belgium have a legit chance of making it but will only make it if Turkey screw up easy games like they did in the euros. Spain will win the group easily imo.

Group 6 : England are a good looking team under Cappello. Lets see how they can do. Easily favorites to win this group followed by croatia.

Group 7 is imo the hardest group. I think France Lithuania, Austria, Romania and Serbia have a chance at going through. Romania have looked poor to start off there campagn but we know they can be a good side if they want. Austria dud well in the euros but they were at home. Lithuania have got to a good start by dusting romania on the road and beating austria at home. Serbia have a pretty good team with some great techical players. And for France, its all about consistancy for them. Domench is a horrible coach. This french team defnatly have the skill to win the group, but will they be? I think this group is going to be won by France and Lithuania second. But well see. Imo this is the most exciting group.

Group 8 : I dunno about Italy. They just dont do it for me. This is a week group that they will win, only because it is week ( that is the reason greece is gonna win theres too) . Italy is going to win followed by Ireland.

Group 9: Scotland were impressive in the euro qualifying. Imo they will win this group with netherlands behidnt them. Netherlands were poor in euro qualifying and didnt score much. THey will qualify i just think scotland will do better.

South America

Brazil

Argentina

Paraguay

Uruguay

Asia

Group 1

Australia

Japan

Group 2

South Korea

Iran

Concacaf

USA

Mexico

Costa Rica

Canada

:LOL: Brasil.

Theyll make it. How cant they its brasil. And I disagree with theLegand. I hope brasil qualifys. A world Cup with be lame without Brasil. It just wouldnt be the same. I generally aagree with your south american predictions ( but in no specific order) but I woudl say Colombia insted of uruguay.

Asia : Same thing you said. THeres not taht much other countries that can do damage.

Concacaff:

I tell you right now Canada will not make it unless they turn stuff around big time. Mexico will come first, followed by USA and then Honduras (big wild card pick) and then costa rica. But not of these teams stand a legit chance of getting out of the group in south africa expect maybe mexico but they didnt impress me that much.

Asia : Same thing you said. THeres not taht much other countries that can do damage.

Concacaff:

I tell you right now Canada will not make it unless they turn stuff around big time. Mexico will come first, followed by USA and then Honduras (big wild card pick) and then costa rica. But not of these teams stand a legit chance of getting out of the group in south africa expect maybe mexico but they didnt impress me that much.

In the Asia Zone, the Australian group is much easier than the other one.

When I did the predictions, I didn't have the draw for the second round and wasn't expecting to see Canada and Jamaïca together. Canada did a good Gold Cup and should have won against the US. That's why I took a bet on them. As it stands now, they won't stand a chance.

The rest of your analysis on the Europe Zone is very interesting.

ps:In English/English, we say BraZil. In American/English, they say BraSil.

When I did the predictions, I didn't have the draw for the second round and wasn't expecting to see Canada and Jamaïca together. Canada did a good Gold Cup and should have won against the US. That's why I took a bet on them. As it stands now, they won't stand a chance.

The rest of your analysis on the Europe Zone is very interesting.

ps:In English/English, we say BraZil. In American/English, they say BraSil.

Wow lol, Im surprised you know so much about concacaff :P

I live in concacaff and sitll barly watch it!

CONCACAF

the way I see it

US and Mexico are locks and Costa Rica and Hondouras are also tough but I'd predict they would lose to the 5th CONEMBOL team in the playoff

Canada stinks and have screwed themselves once again

My African predictions include Egypt

Surprise from Europe Lithuania

and I'm betting both Koreas make it

As far as the rest of Europe

Greece will finish qulifying with the most points of all teams

bookies

2010 World Cup - Outright Winner - 2:00 PM

Antepost Tournament Winner (All bets stand)

Brazil 5.75

Argentina 6.00

Spain 9.00

Germany 9.00

Italy 9.00

England 11.00

Russia 15.00

Holland 16.00

Portugal 16.00

France 16.00

Czech Republic 34.00

Nigeria 41.00

Croatia 51.00

Cameroon 51.00

Greece 51.00

Sweden 67.00

Uruguay 67.00

Ivory Coast 67.00

Mexico 67.00

Turkey 67.00

Denmark 67.00

Paraguay 81.00

Serbia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, so if I get this right on how the teams qualify for the World Cup

Europe - 13 teams, 9 automatic, 4 from the playoffs

South America - 4 teams automatic, 5th place team go to playoffs

North America/Central America - 3 teams automatic, 4th place team go to playoffs

Africa - 5 teams automatic

Asia - 4 teams automatic, 5th place team go to playoffs

Oceania - 1st place team go to playoffs (New Zealand)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so if I get this right on how the teams qualify for the World Cup

Europe - 13 teams, 9 automatic, 4 from the playoffs

South America - 4 teams automatic, 5th place team go to playoffs

North America/Central America - 3 teams automatic, 4th place team go to playoffs

Africa - 5 teams automatic

Asia - 4 teams automatic, 5th place team go to playoffs

Oceania - 1st place team go to playoffs (New Zealand)

To be a bit more precise.

EUROPE: The "worst" second team is not going to go to the play-offs. At the moment, Scotland is in this position two points behind France.

CONCACAF: 4th team playing against the 5th in the South America Zone.

ASIA: The two teams that arrive third in both groups meet for a final play-off game against New Zealand.

• 1 month later...

quite a few suprises could be happening by the standings are looking very realistic:

Serbia could qualify ahead of France for the Automatic spot

Slovakia is poised to win their group, if they can beat the Czechs again in Bratislava there basically in......

Portugal may be going to the qualifying playoff very likley under Denmark. If Hungary holds them, they could be out altogether

In Africa, Egypt look like they may not get to the WC - AGAIN. Despite great African success, they cant get it together.

Rafik Djebour scored in Algeria's 3-1 win, and Algeria is top of the group, and very well could be heading to the WC next summer - if not them then Zambia or Egypt if they can manage the comeback.

If North Korea holds on, they could be going to the WC too. Would be very interesting...

El Salvador finally has a decent team this year, beat Mexico and held the USA, and basically leading candidate for 3rd CONCACAF spot.......possibly at Mexico's expense, though I think Mexico will come back.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.football-rankings.info/2009/06/...a-based-on.html

2010 WC: Seeding formula based on current standings (3 June 2009)

Seeded teams for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa.

(Does not include the July rankings so Greece could be a Pot 1 team right now)

1 Germany 60.0 30.3 29.7

2 Brazil 58.3 29.3 29.0

3 Italy 56.7 27.3 29.3

4 Spain 56.3 25.3 31.0

5 England 52.0 26.3 25.7

6 Argentina 49.3 21.0 28.3

7 France 48.3 23.3 25.0

----------------------------------------------

8 Netherlands 43.7 14.7 29.0

9 USA 35.3 13.7 21.7

10 Paraguay 34.0 11.7 22.3

11 Switzerland 32.3 15.3 17.0

12 Ghana 27.0 13.3 13.7

13 Japan 26.7 13.3 13.3

14 Russia 26.3 3.0 23.3

15 Korea Republic 25.3 15.7 9.7

16 Australia 24.3 11.3 13.0

17 Serbia 22.7 5.3 17.3

18 Denmark 22.3 7.7 14.7

19 Greece 22.3 0.0 22.3

20 Uruguay 21.7 2.7 19.0

21 Cote d'Ivoire 19.0 6.0 13.0

22 Scotland 17.7 0.0 17.7

23 Tunisia 16.0 8.7 7.3

24 Costa Rica 14.0 8.3 5.7

25 Saudi Arabia 13.7 8.0 5.7

26 Northern Ireland 12.3 0.0 12.3

27 Chile 11.3 0.0 11.3

28 Honduras 9.7 0.0 9.7

29 South Africa 5.7 3.0 2.7

30 Gabon 4.0 0.0 4.0

31 Zambia 3.3 0.0 3.3

32 Korea DPR 1.0 0.0 1.0

The pots:

Pot 1: Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Italy, South Africa, Spain

Pot 2: Denmark, Greece, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Russia, Scotland, Serbia, Switzerland

Pot 3: Australia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Japan, Korea DPR, Korea Republic, Saudi Arabia, USA

Pot 4: Chile, Cote d'Ivoire, Gabon, Ghana, Paraguay, Tunisia, Uruguay, Zambia

Croatia would not qualify right now because they are the lowest seeded second place team and only the Top 8 play a play-off.

Ranking of group runners-up

With one group having one team fewer than the others, matches against the sixth-placed team in the group are not included in this ranking.

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD AG* Pts

Russia 5 \4 0 1\ \11 3 +8\ 4 \12

France 5 \3 1 1\ \7 6 +1\ 4\ 10

Bosnia 5 \3 0 2\ \14 6 +8\ 5\ 9

Hungary 4 \2 1 1\ \4 2 +2\ 2\ 7

Switzer 4 \2 1 1\ \7 6 +1\ 4\ 7

Ireland 5 \1 4 0\ \4 3 +1\ 2\ 7

N.Irela 5 \2 1 2\ \5 6 −1\ 1\ 7

Scotla 5 \2 1 2\ \4 6 −2\ 2\ 7

Croatia 4 \1 2 1\ \6 6 0\ 4 \5

*AG= Away Goals

Ranking rules

Total points

Goal difference

Goals scored

Goals scored away from home

Disciplinary record (yellow card, -1 point; two yellow cards in the same match, -3 points; red card, -3 points; yellow card followed by a direct red card in the same match, -4 points)

Drawing of lots

• 3 months later...

Teams who qualified for World Cup 2010

South Africa

Ivory Coast

Ghana

Denmark

Switzerland

Slovakia

Germany

Spain

England