Phantis Forums

Greek channels on cable

Did Ant1 Sat. sign an exclusive agreement with Warner Cable, or could they go onto another cable provider too?

I was browsing the Comcast site today, and just noticed that it looks like they have built up their international programming. http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Programmi...ks/default.html

Comcast is the biggest cable provider in the US if I am not mistaking? Of course, being available on Comcast too may not be so good for Dish Network numbers either.

Just curious, what parts of the country have large Greek populations, aren't most Greeks situated on the East coast?? I think I read something about NY, NJ & Florida being the main areas.

I don't think ANT1 has an exclusive deal with Time Warner and I don't see the point of an exclusive contract?! Not sure about the US but here in Canada there is only one cable company in any given area. Is there more than one provider that services the part of NY where most Greeks live??

On another note, if ERT World were to go to cable as well, then I think that there wouldn't be many subs left on Dishnet. I wonder why the idiots who distribute ERT World haven't thought of putting the channel on cable as well, perhaps they are locked into an exclusive deal with Dishnet?!

Just curious, what parts of the country have large Greek populations, aren't most Greeks situated on the East coast??  I think I read something about NY, NJ & Florida being the main areas. 

I don't think ANT1 has an exclusive deal with Time Warner and I don't see the point of an exclusive contract?! Not sure about the US but here in Canada there is only one cable company in any given area.  Is there more than one provider that services the part of NY where most Greeks live?? 

On another note, if ERT World were to go to cable as well, then I think that there wouldn't be many subs left on Dishnet.  I wonder why the idiots who distribute ERT World haven't thought of putting the channel on cable as well, perhaps they are locked into an exclusive deal with Dishnet?!

I had posted this map before I think, but here it is again. It is the distribution of "Greek-Americans" in the US according to the 2000 census. The darker colors mean more Greeks:

Posted Image

Regarding the cable providers, I know that Comcast is the biggest cable provider in the US, and is available virtually nationwide. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about that map is that it seems to go based on percentage of each county's population. Much of the country is sparsely populated, so if you have 10 or 15 Greeks in a county of, say, 2,000 people....the map is going to show a larger concentration of Greeks than, say, a county of 5,000 Greeks in 1,000,000+ population.

The main areas are NY/NJ/CT, Boston, Chicago, Florida (particularly Tarpon Springs), with smaller but significant concentrations around Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Baltimore, San Francisco, DC, Cleveland, etc.

I'm not familiar with whether or not ANT1's cable deal is exclusive to Time Warner, but I'm pretty sure that for the time being, Time Warner in the NYC area is the only cable provider which carries it.

I remember way back when there was a cable channel known as the International Channel, which carried the ANT1 newscast, and it was on cable providers across the USA, even after they went to Dish Network for the first few years.

Archived