Phantis Forums

Summer preparations 2008

REY

The summer preparations will take place in Zeefeld (Austria).

The first meeting/training session (players-coach) will be in June 25, when our players will be expected to come back from their summer vacations. Soon after starts the first part of our preparations in Thessaloniki and/or its environment and some days later in the middle of July, around 10-15 (can't remember the exact date) our mission will go to Austria for an about-2-week trainings period "under Alpes".

Also already some rumors about potential "friendly-opponents" came out like Stuttgart and/or Hamburg as we got some proposals apparently. Also we can expect 1 or 2 Austrian 1st division teams, naturally.

Almost sure is that somewhere at the middle of August (probably 10th) we will have one of our final conclusions of the summer period roading to the beginning of the new season, when we meet Atalanta Bergamo at Vikelidis.

This is how our schedule, unofficially, should look like:

1. somewhen at the end of July, match with Arminia Bielefeld

2. After that Werder Bremen

3. and after we return, our first home match of the preps' last stage will be against Atalanta Bergamo (beginning of August)

4. Potentially one more match after Atalanta (probably at home)

Updated:

1. somewhen at the end of July, match with Arminia Bielefeld

2. After that Werder Bremen

--------------------------------------

(still negotiating.... all in Austria and/or environment)

3. And after we return, our first home match of the preps' last stage will be against Atalanta Bergamo (beginning of August)

4. two more (I think 100% and officially agreed): Bolton and Club Brugge at home.

*first coach-players meeting and session in June 25. Then 3 weeks of preparations in Thessaloniki and environment before travelling to Austria.

*summer preparations in Austria start in July 14

Yes. Actually recent years, every pre-season preps period and matches I'm quite satisfied with!...Fiorentina, PSG, Toulouse, Monaco..and now Bolton, Brugge.

One more little update:

Apparently there is no Atalanta match, the other stuffs keep same!

• 1 month later...

3 days ago friendly: ARIS vs. Slovan Liberec 2:1 (0:1). Goals scored by Javito and Gentil.

Aris were good overall (Javito and Wlodarczyk great). New transfers were also OK-ish. First half we played with one 11ada, second one with another.

Tomorrow: Werder Bremen vs. ARIS 19:30 (Greek time), Alpha TV

Certain (negative) points from the Werder friendly and more generally from the Austria preparations and our roster:

1. Quique was a bit disappointing...it is well known that Werder always play open- for a goal up, but this does not mean that we should follow the same receipt. But the question is what he can really do with that defense in the match.

2. Yes, Lembo is tall, Kouloucheris for modern standards is quite short CD and look at some of their defenders: Naldo and Proedl are tall 4 meters together..but still that is not a reason for them to play a mice and mouse with us after set pieces and these things.

3. Battion: I know it is still an adapting time, but he looks like afraid of taking responsabilities to organize more, unlike Nacho who when in good shape, likes doing it. Of course your manuevre to organize is shortened when you have all Gentil, Regueiro, even Koke in the line up. But in 4-4-2 is something else. Battion, if wants to be a starter in 4-4-2, must learn that, otherwise it's Nacho's position then.

4. Also Nebegleras and Battion combo didn't fill my eye.

5. Look at this defensive line: Vangeli-Lembo-Kouloucheris- Aurelio...I don't want to be rude 'cause they are Aris players, but those 4 are for laughters...from bad to worse, from the first to the forth. All 4 have serious defensive problems..

And Quique needs to focus a bit more on defensive operations and not always and continuously on the ball circulation as he started. Remember, last summer when Oliva concentrated all on defensive work and discipline, that was exactly how our season looked like in general. But this season I don't want to concede 2 goals every match.

6. Some players, I'm not judging only from these friendlies but also from the last season, are simply not good enough for aris and I don't know why it was so diffficult to get rid of some...like Prittas, Kouloucheris and f**k me if both Aurelio an Siston together are worth wasting 2 non-EU spots, so one should have only stayed with us.

7. Gentil doesn't waste time to show his laziness occasionally, of course.

8. Once again: I guess we acquired 100 tall strikers where one should always be a starter with Koke and not all 3 out.

9. Lembo seems to be a worse version of Ronaldo....or rather a new Ronaldo at his bad form. Once again, I'd rather be fair with Wlodarczyk and wait for more and especially official games. I still think that Wlodar will be above average.

10. The only problem of our roster is certain persons that went and certain that stayed and even stronger: the fact that avraaam is not replaced.

More, we got rid of certain basic characters like Chalkias, Ivić (for Avraam: there was nothing to do with the lost child) which still could be useful in some calculations in this Aris 08/09 and we kept some OFI Crete materials like Aurelio, Kouloucheris, Prittas to rotate in these preparations. :hmm: I'd rather have Stratilatis, Gesios (both if stayed), Theo Papadopoulos and potentially promoted Spasić or whoever for these preparations over those reckless and styleless and classless Koulou, Prittas and company...

11. And if I keep seeing Kouloucheris and our shaky defense and some of these careless concedes, even in friendlies, and at the same time Jahić to get only 10-15 minutes, I'll be seriously pissed off.

12. And Nacho should be renewed as soon as possible if he wants..by that, even his output will be greater.

-----------------------------------------------------

...still these are only friendlies, let's see when time gets more serious. But don't forget the last season's preparations and then the official games...do you know how wise people say: day is recognized on its morning...so there is a big chance that we play great attack, but defend badly. And one more thing: don't expect Duško's defense and discipline and overtacticizing, but expect a greater attack this season! Yes, these goals are scored in friendlies, but 5 goals in 2 matches can be a good pre-sign. ;) I'm afraid that so trade-mark defense for Aris all these recent years will finally not be presented for this season, but on the other hand we can't defend worse than tonight, so cheer up, the future is still bright. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday:

Yesterday Kike gave our team a day off and they all went to Innsbruck to enjoy the day, go shopping and walking...while our general director

Greuter Furth vs. ARIS 2:2 (Jahić, Calvo)

Didn't watch the game, but concluded some points from what I read.

The team played like this:

-------------------------------Karatziovalis (Sifakis)--------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vangeli (Kouloucheris)----Jahić-----Roberge (Lembo)----------Karabelas (Aurelio)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------Prittas (Nebegleras)-------------Nacho G. (Battion)----------

Calvo (Javito)-------------------------------------------------------Felipe (Regueiro)

---------------------Wlodarczyk (Koke)--------------Papazoglou (Gentil)---------

A few positives:

+ this time Kike obviously started 4-4-2 from the first half and 4-2-3-1 from the second and against Werder was vice-versa. It just goes to show that Kike is mixing maximally with his tactics/systems and also with his players...we complained that Jahić got some minor of minutes and this time he was fully in the endekada.

+ Also again an example of Quique's valuable mixing is that this time he kind of started with our reserve team and against Werder generally with our top guns. If I were a coach now or rather if I played some manager games I would do these same mixes and changes, so don't ask to much why some player is coming on in 55' and not 46', it is all up to coach's experiments nor do we have some reasons to potentially bi*ch about Kike. And also let's not forget that this "second team" beat Greuter for the first 45' by the result of 2:1

+Also for the third consecutive time after being down, we came back with the result scoring always 2 goals and coming back in to the game. :thumbs: Very very important sign that could potentially determine our season or rather reflect our character.

Some minuses:

- Again we conceded more goals than we could expect. <_< So Jahić, Roberge, Kouloucheris, Lembo have much to work on. Very important will be the come-back of Neto and Guiaro. Ronaldo is a smart ass and I'm sure we wouldn't live some s%$#! defending if he were fit.

- Kike says that we were slower than in the match against Werder. But somehow that sounds reasonable considering the fact that all Koke, Rege, Gentill came on in the second half and both Wlodar and Papaz started.

-again slow and sleepy first 15 minutes of the match. Quique needs to fix it. I don't like to see that from my team.

again back to some pluses:

+ We start to be very dangerous side from set pieces. Calvo scored a goal from a free kick, Koke did it last time...all Koke, Calvo, Gentil and Rege are more than average set-piece takers! :thumbs: And also there are Ronaldo, Jahić who can also execute headers after side-crosses and free kicks.

+ Jahić- Roberge combo showed some good individual effords. If I'm correct Roberge assisted and Jahić scored. Apparently again that little Roberge showed that he has potential after, to me, the Werder game where he was everything but too bad!

So this defensive line, for now, could be the optimal:

Neto----------Jahić------------Ronaldo-----------Karabelas*

*Aurelio may be against weaker oppositions. And also we could think of demoting again Siston onto LWB and potentially start him there! :hmm: And has Prittas ever played defense when being a "small kid", I wonder?!

+ And also let's not forget that in these friendly matches concedes are easier. In official matches or let's say UEFA Cup, and from opponents like Greuter, I don't think we could easily concede after being 2:1 up. think about it!

+ and once again when Gentil, Rege and Koke are in, we can cause some serious cracks into opposing defenses. In the last 15 minutes we were OK-ish, Gentil had 1 or 2 shots, Rege also combined with him...

***I also stress that still I would like if we started in the season 4-4-2 over 4-2-3-1 and next to Koke it should be one of those Papaz/Wloda/Delorte. All 3 on the bench would shorten our height again and would retrieve our team and its attacking far from the opposing box never filling the box in like we had troubles in the last season.

Gentil can be the first sub in that case.

Last friendly we surprisingly drew (0:0) with the Romanian second division team Valcea. They created nothing and we created everything naturally on the match but goals due to some huge chance-misses, lack of concentration and tiredness or whatever...

The mission already came back to Thessaloniki and taking some rest and then a bit of preparations for the Bolton friendly which takes place at Vikelidis in the 4th of August.

ARIS vs. Bolton 1:1 (Javito, McCann)

Firstly, great atmosphere, although not the best match to watch in the world, but it was worth watching in general to see Aris for the first time at home for this summer. I'm very happy tonight 'cause I watched it.

Regeiro did again very satisfactorily...such a class. Again I don't support 4-2-3-1 'cause all these years (two) the similar formations haven't given us much when we needed to pull something big or some result or anything key, except for only some endless and ineffective nice circulation around the box but nothing concrete nor inside it. I'd rather have Koke and one of the 2 giants Delorte or Wlodar to start.

Lembo was perfect. Well done, man. Keep up at least something similar as tonight. Again similar example as with Ronaldo and Avraam when an experienced, solid defender with good space/defense awareness, makes his less experienced partner better than he is actually (Lembo on Kouloucheris tonight).

And if I see this Aurelio starts a match once again I'll cry from desperation. I feel sorry for the guy. Totally lost in space after that injury last year.

Calvo needs to show more discipline and get free from the ball earlier when a situation is good and to try and see a couple of our players who already filled in the box and positioned themselves well or some is/are alone there. Don't always dribble yourself and your opponents at the same time!

Slowly we are improving as Kike promised. And also one visible difference between Kike and Duško is that Kike, supported by Regeiro, makes our wing-game and its operations at least twice better than Duško, but also Duško's central/mid-game operations are much better, more disciplined and organizational there, although very important tool for Bajević is the fact that always and at least 1 DM was in good form, unlike now when even official games haven't started, Battion is not adapted yet and Nacho due to all these contract problems, saga and injuries made himself look much nastier and dirtier than usual, like nothing left from our ex shy and focused Nacho.

As for Bolton, once again they show that their technique is zero compared to ours which is exceptional with all these Calvo, Gentil, Koke, Rege and company..but very physical side with all those dirty fouling, tackling, duels where neither were we left much behind them in this match.

Once again, great atmosphere. :tup:

I didn't see the game but I heard that after a mundane first half Aris dominated the game. I saw the goals though and it's a shame Aris still have probs on set peices, but what an equalizer. Delorte's assist was simply exquisite! If that was Ronaldinho it would have been in one of his highlight videos.

@Rey, obviously you see Aris more than I do so I value your opinion more than mine, but personally I like Aris' 4-2-3-1. It keeps the team solid and as such Aris always have a chance against whoever they play. However, I agree with you the team does lack goals, for that reason a Delorte-Koke partnership should be employed when Aris are at home or against weaker opposition. In other words, it's a good sign if Aris begin to show signs that they can adapt.

I didn't see the game but I heard that after a mundane first half Aris dominated the game. I saw the goals though and it's a shame Aris still have probs on set peices, but what an equalizer. Delorte's assist was simply exquisite! If that was Ronaldinho it would have been in one of his highlight videos.

@Rey, obviously you see Aris more than I do so I value your opinion more than mine, but personally I like Aris' 4-2-3-1. It keeps the team solid and as such Aris always have a chance against whoever they play. However, I agree with you the team does lack goals, for that reason a Delorte-Koke partnership should be employed when Aris are at home or against weaker opposition. In other words, it's a good sign if Aris begin to show signs that they can adapt.

In 4-2-3-1 Aris is more technical and practically eating the ball. In 4-4-2 especially when one of our tall strikers starts or sometimes even 2, we look more physical naturally. It looks like Quique prefers more 4-2-3-1 especially from start, but he wouldn't exclude 4-4-2 either as he said.

-------------------------------------------------------

Highlights from the Brugge match

This topic almost coming to an end since we are closing to our first official match, but just to report here that yesterday our players had a day off and some of them used it to go to some beaches, generally Chalkidiki, while Kike and his collaborators wanted to watch some Slaven's DVDs

*Siston is almost about to be fully recovered and there is a decent chance that he's included in the mission for the Slaven match, while Ronaldo 's situation for the match is uncertain (although the latest news reported even vice versa..that Siston wouldn't play and Ronaldo might be in).

Kouloucheris still being tested whether to undergo a surgery or not by Pantazis and medical team. Yet to be decided.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived