Phantis Forums

Xanthi-Panathinaikos

athinaios

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

horrible result. our defence let us down big time, however i do think we will win out the rest of the season. the aek game will be the deciding match for the title, so there is an outside chance.. do not rely on xanthi repeating this vs oly, they spread eagle for the gaurous

If olympiakos wins the league by 4 points, then the issue with kalamaria will be dropped. It will be like it never happened because that game would not matter.

but it has given oly an emotional boost and has put pressure on pao but it wont be such a big factor that we won the game on "paper'"

e an o olympiakos nikisi tin aek ta ipolipa paixnidia entos edras elpizw na einai efkoles nikes :gr: :tup: :nw: :nw: :nw:

PAO defensivley had a bad game. Theyve been great at defense this whole season, even better than Olympigavros even. It happens sometimes in football. Of course it wasnt great defense today.......Ever heard of bad days?

PAO defensivley has been very strong this season, in Greece and in Europe, you cant just go off and say what a horrible defense we have  (in general) after one game where we screwed it. Weve been very tight defensivley all season, its normally been scoring that is our problem.

It's not just one game though is it. PAO have had 6 really big games this year:

Oly away in the league (completely dominant but conceded a poor goal to deny PAO the win. )

Oly away in the cup (let's move swiftly on)

Atletico away (This game would have won you the group and allowed you to play Bolton instead of Rangers. PAO took the lead and Atletico were down to 10 men, did PAO hold the lead?)

Rangers away (Galinovic was in inspired form, but in terms of PAO as a defensive unit, not impressive).

Rangers home (PAO battered them, they had 2 shots on goal and scored 1. Is that luck too? The fact is, Novo should never have had the opportunity to get that shot away).

Xanthi away (I understand what you're saying about them having 3 shots and 3 goals, but what I'm saying is that (1) he should never have had the opportunity to get those shots off. (2) Once he did get the shots off Galinovic should have saved at least 2 (the 1st and the 3rd). So it's not like Radzintzki was on fire, but just that PAO were inept at the back. You're right that teams are entitled to bad games, i.e. PAO slipping up to Asteras away, Oly at Ergotelis away, or even Chelsea away at Barnsely(!). But the big teams rise to the occassion in big games, not make dreadful mistakes. Passionless and unorganised defending against a team that is weaker than you, at this stage of the season is inexusable.

PAO defensivley had a bad game. Theyve been great at defense this

whole season, even better than Olympigavros even.

You say that as if Olympiakos are a good defensive side. They can't defend either! The only reason they've been slightly better this season is because the whole team is set up defensively, but the art of defending is lacking. If Olympiakos are poor at the back then there's no excuse for PAO not winning titles. We're talking about the top 2 teams in Greece (like you say, AEK are abysmal), so when one has a clear disadvantage the other should capitalize, not crumble.

@ OlympiakosThyra7: In all fairness, you can't say that if Oly win by 4 points then the Kalamaria issue should be forgotten. Because you could then argue that if PAO hadn't had the pressure of having to win yesterday they wouldn't have slipped up. In all honesty the whole issue has been shambolic. On the one hand the SL had to stick by the laws of UEFA, but on the other, (if i'm not mistaken) the player that scored the goal was a late sub right? So if he hadn't come on, would Oly really have won the game anyway? The only way to know if justice is done in any situation is to put yourself in the position of both sets of parties, and if it was the other way around, you'd be moaning that they had "stolen" the league right? Let's be honest, they have been hard done by.

PAO defensivley had a bad game. Theyve been great at defense this whole season, even better than Olympigavros even. It happens sometimes in football. Of course it wasnt great defense today.......Ever heard of bad days?

PAO defensivley has been very strong this season, in Greece and in Europe, you cant just go off and say what a horrible defense we have  (in general) after one game where we screwed it. Weve been very tight defensivley all season, its normally been scoring that is our problem.

It's not just one game though is it. PAO have had 6 really big games this year:

Oly away in the league (completely dominant but conceded a poor goal to deny PAO the win. )

Oly away in the cup (let's move swiftly on)

Atletico away (This game would have won you the group and allowed you to play Bolton instead of Rangers. PAO took the lead and Atletico were down to 10 men, did PAO hold the lead?)

Rangers away (Galinovic was in inspired form, but in terms of PAO as a defensive unit, not impressive).

Rangers home (PAO battered them, they had 2 shots on goal and scored 1. Is that luck too? The fact is, Novo should never have had the opportunity to get that shot away).

Xanthi away (I understand what you're saying about them having 3 shots and 3 goals, but what I'm saying is that (1) he should never have had the opportunity to get those shots off. (2) Once he did get the shots off Galinovic should have saved at least 2 (the 1st and the 3rd). So it's not like Radzintzki was on fire, but just that PAO were inept at the back. You're right that teams are entitled to bad games, i.e. PAO slipping up to Asteras away, Oly at Ergotelis away, or even Chelsea away at Barnsely(!). But the big teams rise to the occassion in big games, not make dreadful mistakes. Passionless and unorganised defending against a team that is weaker than you, at this stage of the season is inexusable.

PAO defensivley had a bad game. Theyve been great at defense this

whole season, even better than Olympigavros even.

You say that as if Olympiakos are a good defensive side. They can't defend either! The only reason they've been slightly better this season is because the whole team is set up defensively, but the art of defending is lacking. If Olympiakos are poor at the back then there's no excuse for PAO not winning titles. We're talking about the top 2 teams in Greece (like you say, AEK are abysmal), so when one has a clear disadvantage the other should capitalize, not crumble.

@ OlympiakosThyra7: In all fairness, you can't say that if Oly win by 4 points then the Kalamaria issue should be forgotten. Because you could then argue that if PAO hadn't had the pressure of having to win yesterday they wouldn't have slipped up. In all honesty the whole issue has been shambolic. On the one hand the SL had to stick by the laws of UEFA, but on the other, (if i'm not mistaken) the player that scored the goal was a late sub right? So if he hadn't come on, would Oly really have won the game anyway? The only way to know if justice is done in any situation is to put yourself in the position of both sets of parties, and if it was the other way around, you'd be moaning that they had "stolen" the league right? Let's be honest, they have been hard done by.

dude youre kidding me. How perfect do you expect the defense to be?

Holding the lead to Atletico? PAO played great defense, only to lose the result on a 95th minute free kick stunner. COME ON....I mean i knew it was a goal before it was shot and it shouldnt have been a foul (it wasnt actually) but PAO did well against a team of much better caliber - and Atletico is relativley inconsistent but when they are on they are very good....being in Madrid is not making things that much easier.

Rangers had some chances yeah but for the most part Rangers didnt threaten with real chances in Glascow.

Rangers at home- actually YEAH THAT WAS LUCK. Defense completly closed them down and one slip cost us....This HAPPENS in football. I mean its a shame and true but Greek teams defense does get aggrivating as were usually eliminated in the last minutes of the match.

Its not like the whole defense can be justified as awful after a few slips. They are human, and for the most part they play very well.

Name a team that HASNT made defensive slip ups this year? Chelsea maybe. were not chelsea. neither is OSFP, neither AEK for sure nowhere close to that level. Mistakes happen, and sometimes it wasnt meant to be....

PAO has had a very strong defense this season man...the statistics do show that, and PAO fans arent overly concerened with defense this season ( if theres one type of people to be concerned about PAO defense is PAO fans.....) Weve seen some great defenseive performances, and exceptions like yesterday have been pretty rare this season, you know it too. Some slip ups which are normal for football cant call the whole team crap......

i mean say what you want about Greek league defending, its not the greatest but PAO has the best (except Torosidis on OSFP) - Gkoumas has been a maniac on defense he is like the PAO's Maldini :tup: getting better with age....Morris has been strong, Sarieggui pretty good also.

Even #1 loser Vyntra has been very good this season. That says something IMO. And to be honest, not to make this into a OSFP-PAO arguement, I would absolutley NOT have one player of OSFP's, AEK's defense like Cesar or Antzas especially....Torosidis and Papastathopoulos the exceptions.

We can disagree, but as a PAO fan who is constantly aggrivated with his team, I am satisfied with the level of defense this season....its goalscoring where we are weak.

Archived