Phantis Forums

It's Official - Euro 08 Draw

Argy

do you think the german or italian equivalent of "Phantis - the Sports CLub" is littered with their fans saying stuff like "oooooooooohhhhhh i am so gald we avoided France, or stuff like that?.......of course not....

bottom line is i I think I am good, i WANT to play the best....no to avoid the best....thats a LOSER's mentality.....

all the games here on are tough.....new tournament, new motivation, etc....it is really "who is the best team ON THAT DAY'........and we have shown that we have a habit of rising to the occassion.....the upper level teams, in any sport, stillmanage to win even though they dont play their "A" game.....if think that is the biggest thing that Greece learned by not qualifying for the world cup....and by getting spanked by turkey...the teams have never been so evenly matched so anybody can beat anyone.....and the fact is Greece is now considered an upper escelon team, probably the lower level of the A teams.....

doo i think we can win the euro again? realistically, i dont see this team winning it...but to be a good, feared team, you must be CONSISTENT and play hard and smart every time you step on to the field...thats is why other teams fear you....

so lets not belly ache about who we should avoid....rather lets focus on why we can beat anybody on any given day..this is part of being an elite team, and sionce Greece has never had this stature before, as a team with high expectations, learning how to accpet that responsibility is something that comes qualifying consistently and believing you can beat anybody.....anytime.....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, yes i guess its the attitude you need to have....maybe i am in the minority opinion about this subject, i dont know....but i think it comes down to pride...if another team thinks they can come out with their "B" game and beat you then you may as well go home...greece, for a long time, the attitude was "ah we played well, but we lost"...and that was Ok for most of the players and then fans...the ultimate inferiority complex...NO BRO, ITS NOT OK....!@#$%^&**&^%$#@ I can remember greece lost to albania, and this Poursanidis guy after the game says "Why no, why should we not lose to albania?....i read this and i almost fell off my chair...wehre is your price re malka? u just lost to a bunch of sheephearders, and u just shrug your shoulders?

losers mentality....i dont the guy persoanally, so i am not judging him like that but he would have never got another cap after that....

compare this to basinas, who after the hungary game was "forcefullly making his point" to another player about the play that just happened or, the a play that he was not happy about ...the team won but, he still was not satisfied....thats the difference....greek player did not all of a sudden run faster, or jump higher in one generation....they just have learned not to be intimidted by other teams, and feel they can win every time they step out onto the pitch.....they may not win every game, but now most opponents have a healthy RESPECT for the team becuase the team itslef respectys themselves...when the talent level is close, then its a game of wills, and for the ultimate teams game like like soccer its collective wills and spirit that wins lots of games.....

i am just fascinated by the transformation of attitude that otto has instilled....the goal is to pay their A game every time out....if so, then you nothing ot be ashemed of if you dont ge the results....

i cant wait for the euro...very interested to see how it turns out.....i would be impressed if they got to the final four......

I have recently seen the first game we played against Portugal, 4 years ago. I have seen this game more than 50 times since 2004. I am still impressed of how prepared this team appeared for that game.

I expect the same identical thing to happen in 6 months time. Do not be worried. The team will be very well prepared for the first game, but perhaps not so for the other 2 games.

I think the easiest game that we will have will be against Spain, because that means we will be wishing for a point (hopefully-depending on our previous results :P ) and we will be playing our usual 2004-like game, which is what suits us always best against bigger sides.

The trick is the first 2 games.

I think that qualification will be determined heavily by the result of the first game. Whoever loses is most likely out and who-ever wins has the advantage of going through. The most likely result for the first game is a draw, as both teams know this. This will put a lot of pressure to us for the game against Russia though. The result we get in any game will influence how we play in the next (the tactics). I also think that 5 points are enough to get us through but we need to get the 3 out of these 5 from one of our 2 first games.

In the last Euro we seemed very well prepared for the first 2 games and we were lucky then because the teams we faced in the first 2 games were very similar and we basically had to do more or less the same kind of preparation with small changes. In this campaign we have a more difficult task as I think the first 2 teams that we play with are distinctly different. We will have to open up a little more than in last EURO. This should be the focus of the preparation, but frankly, I don't worry because I know Otto knows this and he will do it again well, as he did for the preparation of 4 years ago.

We only need to prepare for the first 3 games, as we know the opponents. For the remaining games ( :tup: ) we don't need to prepare as we know that these will be against the biggest sides and we know how to play them (EURO 2004 style :LOL: ).

I think if we win the first game we will have an excellent Euro. Lets just focus on winning that game!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

attractive football is WINNING football.......................

i did not hear anybody critcizing italy when they played the catanachio (however you spell it) style.....

england playes veyr attractive football and they will be WATCHING winning football on TV in 2008

GREAT NEWS!!!

(In a 1920's New York accent: Read all about it, Read all about it:

Russia's star player Arshavin is banned for the Greece game at Euro 2008!)

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/news...sid=638098.html

Alani de paizei rolo ayto.De paizei rolo tipota gia mena.Mporei o antikatastatis na einai kalyteros kai mporei na einai kai moiraios,de xereis pote.

To thema einai na paixei i Elladara kala.Oi paiktes mas na fan to horto.

De leo na nikisoume xana,alla na goustaroume..

Kai o Pele na eleipe to idio tha itan adelfe.

GREAT NEWS!!!

(In a 1920's New York accent:  Read all about it, Read all about it:

Russia's star player Arshavin is banned for the Greece game at Euro 2008!)

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/news...sid=638098.html

Alani de paizei rolo ayto.De paizei rolo tipota gia mena.Mporei o antikatastatis na einai kalyteros kai mporei na einai kai moiraios,de xereis pote.

To thema einai na paixei i Elladara kala.Oi paiktes mas na fan to horto.

De leo na nikisoume xana,alla na goustaroume..

Kai o Pele na eleipe to idio tha itan adelfe.

Alani pou piges kai xa8ikes?

Xarika pou vlepw to minima sou!!! :tup:

Simfono, den mporoun na skeftontai oi paiktes: "den paizei o Arshavin, teliose, nikisame". Alla einai to asteri tous. San na paizeis tin Swidia xwris ton Ibrahimovic, h tin Ollandia xwris ton Van Nistelrooy. Fisika 8a'houn kialous epikindinous paixtes alla pisteuw oti mpori na einai psixologiko xtupima gia autous.

Treho....eho logariasmous kai me kynigan..geia sou trele alaniari ethnikisti DUDE.ehtes eida pou ta kataferate.Poia Werder re,Olumpiakos...

Perimene omos kana 2 hronia,tha gineis Paoktsis kai sy.Tha grapsoume Istoria...

Pantos ego den ton xero ton typo.Nomiza oti ta asteria tis Rossia einai oi adelfoi Berezutski.(de xero pos akrivos legontai,pantos Alexey kai Vasily)

Treho....eho logariasmous kai me kynigan..geia sou trele alaniari ethnikisti DUDE.ehtes eida pou ta kataferate.Poia Werder re,Olumpiakos...

Perimene omos kana 2 hronia,tha gineis Paoktsis kai sy.Tha grapsoume Istoria...

xaxa :P

Oi Berezutski itan kaloi gia tin Rossia, alla twra ehoun megala provlimata stin amina kai autoi einai ap'tous xoiroterous. O Arshavin, Pavlychenko, kai Zyrianov einai ta 'megala' tous onomata. Einai kai oi treis kalh alla o Arshavin einai pragmati paixtaras. Exei taxitita, passa, kai teloima faseis. Oi Tottenham prosfere

Re file aytos einai poly oraios paiktis..Pos kai den ton eho akousei pote arage?Kala sta videakia polloi fainontai paiktarades alla aytos tha po oti mou arese poly.

Tha paro to jet mou simera na tou katatheso protasi :P

UEFA EURO 2008™ match officials

Referee Assistant referees Country

1 Konrad Plautz Egon Bereuter, Markus Mayr Austria

2 Frank De Bleeckere Peter Hermans, Alex Verstraeten Belgium

3 Howard Webb Darren Cann, Mike Mullarkey England

4 Herbert Fandel Carsten Kadach, Volker Wezel Germany

5 Kyros Vassaras Dimitris Bozatzidis, Dimitris Saraidaris Greece

6 Roberto Rosetti Alessandro Griselli, Paolo Calcagno Italy

7 Pieter Vink Adriaan Inia, Hans ten Hoove Netherlands

8 Tom Henning Øvrebø Geir Åge Holen, Erik Ræstad Norway

9 Ľuboš Micheľ Roman Slyško, Martin Balko Slovakia

10 Manuel Enrique Mejuto González Juan Carlos Yuste Jiménez, Jesús Calvo Guadamuro Spain

11 Peter Fröjdfeldt Stefan Wittberg, Henrik Andrén Sweden

12 Massimo Busacca Matthias Arnet, Stéphane Cuhat Switzerland

Fourth officials chosen for UEFA EURO 2008:

Ivan Bebek (Croatia)

Stéphane Lannoy (France)

Viktor Kassai (Hungary)

Kristinn Jakobsson (Iceland)

Grzegorz Gilewski (Poland)

Olegário Benquerença (Portugal)

Craig Thomson (Scotland)

Damir Skomina (Slovenia)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where the national teams will be staying and training:

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/639518.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

The current bet list from Eurobet. I think Greece was tied with Romania and Sweden at 26.00 a while back and now Greece is up there with Swiss at 21.00

Germany 5.00

Italy 6.00

Spain 7.00

France 9.00

Portugal 9.00

Croatia 12.00

Holland 12.00

Czech Rep 15.00

Greece 21.00

Switzerland 21.00

Romania 26.00

Sweden 29.00

Russia 34.00

Turkey 34.00

Poland 41.00

Austria 101.00

The Denmark NT coach, Morton Olsen, said in the German magazine, KICKER, that Spain and Greece are the favorites to pass

wow, looks like olsen is now a new convert to flintstone football.

actually, i'm glad he said what he said...i think many europeans were happy he said what he said. he was correct in 2005.

he is also correct in 2007. i think greece is a better side and is capable of playing attacking football. certainly more attractive even if it lacks in substance. the 2005 football lacked in beauty and substance.

Olsen always have something good to say about Greece, praise to him! :tup:

Archived