Phantis Forums

It's Official - Euro 08 Draw

Argy

Sweden recently played 2 friendlies. They played Costa Rica in San Jose, California and won 1-0 on January 13. They also played the USA today (Jan. 19) in Los Angeles and lost 2-0.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched most of the USA-Sweden game and even though both sides were playing "B" teams, there were a couple of things I noticed.

Sweden play similar to Norway, many long balls and crosses. Sweden got their best chances on corners. Given that Nikopolidis is an accident waiting to happen crosses and corners, Halkias (or anyone good w/ crosses) must play against the Swedes or it'll get ugly fast. They had a couple of forwards that were decent but probably won't start over Allback and Ibraimovic. Their backline is not very fast either. I can see a speedy and/or opotunistic forward (either Salpi or Gekas) having some great chances to score. Thier GK (Shabban) was decent, though he could be faulted for their first goal.

Finally, there was a rumor going around in the States about how Oly were interested in USA GK Guzan. By all means get him! He could surely start for you guy for at least a decade (he's 24 now). He played great yesterday and could challenge Tim Howard to start in net for our national team. If you don't get him, AEK could certainly use the help in net :P :D .

I know it is almost 5 months away but I can't stop thinking about it...

I have some good news:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/news...sid=647432.html

Hence, we should prepare to attack heavily in our first game, a 4-3-3 would be most appropriate. I know it is early but we should try our outmost to win this game, given the favourable circumstances. And we should produce a start in the first game similar to our EURO2004 first game, with a goal in the first 25 minutes for us. I also agree with Wallofsoccer88 about the starting goalkeeper and our attacking mood. We should also use Salpi up there I think, along with Gekas.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

I know it is almost 5 months away but I can't stop thinking about it...

I have some good news:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/news...sid=647432.html

Hence, we should prepare to attack heavily in our first game, a 4-3-3 would be most appropriate. I know it is early but we should try our outmost to win this game, given the favourable circumstances. And we should produce a start in the first game similar to our EURO2004 first game, with a goal in the first 25 minutes for us. I also agree with Wallofsoccer88 about the starting goalkeeper and our attacking mood. We should also use Salpi up there I think, along with Gekas.

:gr:  :gr:  :gr:

Sorry file but I disagree. We can't play a 4-3-3 against a good team like Sweden. We'd get killed. If teams like Malta, Hungary, and Moldova can get huge chances against us (while we played the 4-3-3), imagine what a team like Sweden would do.

In the end, it depends on Sweden's formation. If Sweden play with 2 up front, then expect Otto to counter with the 5-3-2 to neutralize their two forwards. If Sweden play with Ibrahimovic alone up front, then we might see a 4-3-3 or possibly 4-4-2 from Otto.

As for Salpi, forget it. Gekas, Amanatidis, and Charisteas are higher up on the depth chart than him.

However, I think Sweden will be gunning to win this one so I can't see them leaving Ibrahimovic isolated alone up front. I'd have to conclude that Otto would go with something more defensive:

---------------------------------------Nikopolidis--------------------------------------------

Seitaridis----------Kyriakos-----------Dellas-----------------Antzas-----------Torosidis

--------------------Karagounis---------Basinas----------Katsouranis---------------------

---------------------------------Charisteas--------Gekas-----------------------------------

Thanks for your reply but I think you overestimate Sweden. A 5-3-2 we didn't play against any side in EURO 2004; Perhaps a 4-4-2 may be more appropriate but for qualifying for the last 8 we need a win and 2 draws. If we don't beat Sweden, we need to beat Russia and I don't think that we (or any team) can choose which game to win. We must try to win every game.

I believe that Sweden will be a weaker side that their name indicates, based on facts, not my own thoughts. They are slow in the back and have few attacking solutions. We need to attack with fast strikers, Amanatidis, Gekas Salpi upfront to chase and pressure their defenders and play with solid kyriakos and Dellas at central defence, with a good packed middlefield where most of the game will be concentrated. So at worse with a 4-4-2 with an attacking middlefield (including Amanatidis I mean). And I am not absolute on Salpi, let it be Charisteas who is also good in pressuring defenders.

I would support your 5-3-2 (that we played against Malta and a few other sides), but only if the fullbacks play high, both Giourkas and Torosidis both attacking heavily; but as for defenders, I cannot see all Antzas, Kyriakos and Dellas in central defense, against a lonely Ibrahimovic. But you are right, in that it depends on Sweden's formation. A 5-3-2 is cautious formation geared towards a draw and we would need to change this if we need to chase the score. It is easier to change a 4-4-2 to an attacking 4-3-3 flavour than the 5-3-2.

Thus, I would finally go with a 4-4-2. I will save the recommended formation for a few months time. I think we can survive without a 5th defender.

cheers

Geok

Thanks for your reply but I think you overestimate Sweden. A 5-3-2 we didn't play against any side in EURO 2004; Perhaps a 4-4-2 may be more appropriate but for qualifying for the last 8 we need a win and 2 draws. If we don't beat Sweden, we need to beat Russia and I don't think that we (or any team) can choose which game to win. We must try to win every game.

I believe that Sweden will be a weaker side that their name indicates, based on facts, not my own thoughts. They are slow in the back and have few attacking solutions. We need to attack with fast strikers, Amanatidis, Gekas Salpi upfront to chase and pressure their defenders and play with solid kyriakos and Dellas at central defence, with a good packed middlefield where most of the game will be concentrated. So at worse with a 4-4-2 with an attacking middlefield (including Amanatidis I mean). And I am not absolute on Salpi, let it be Charisteas who is also good in pressuring defenders.

I would support your 5-3-2 (that we played against Malta and a few other sides), but only if the fullbacks play high, both Giourkas and Torosidis both attacking heavily; but as for defenders, I cannot see all Antzas, Kyriakos and Dellas in central defense, against a lonely Ibrahimovic. But you are right, in that it depends on Sweden's formation. A 5-3-2 is cautious formation geared towards a draw and we would need to change this if we need to chase the score. It is easier to change a 4-4-2 to an attacking 4-3-3 flavour than the 5-3-2.

Thus, I would finally go with a 4-4-2. I will save the recommended formation for a few months time. I think we can survive without a 5th defender.

cheers

Geok

:gr:  :gr:  :gr:

I think we played a 5-3-2 against the Czechs but I might be mistaken. As I said, it would all depend on how Sweden set things up. If they go with Ibrahimovic alone up front, then of course no need to pack the defense and we can go with a 4-4-2 (although slightly disfunctional since we don't really have wingers other than Stelio who probably wouldn't start anyway) or a 4-3-3. I know Sweden are maybe not as dangerous now that Larsson is gone but the fact remains, teams that were much weaker than Sweden exposed us badly throughout qualifying (Malta, Moldova, Hungary) and had those teams had any quality up front, they would have made us pay for those schoolboy errors. But that's all in the past, the point is can Greece play good attacking football with the 4-3-3 while limiting the defensive breakdowns/gaffes against a good team like Sweden; because let me tell you, you give Ibrahimovic one of those chances that teams had against us during qualifying and he'd bury it no questions asked. There is absolutely no room for error when it comes to these group games and from what I've seen during qualifying, I'm left to conclude that playing the 4-3-3 would simply be too risky.

But I agree with you that we have to go into the game with an aggresive mentality and looking to win. This is why if Otto does indeed go with a 5-3-2, Seitaridis and Torosidis absolutely HAVE TO run up the flanks and deliver those crosses in to Charisteas and co. Personally, I'd like to see Otto experiment with the 4-4-2 during the upcoming friendlies to see if it could be a viable option. If only we had someone with a left foot...

I think we generate some good discussion here and thank you both for your contribution.

You are right about Ibrahimovic; give him a chance and he scores. I think Kyriakos should probably take him but, correct me if I am wrong, defensively on high balls Kyriakos does not seem to be that good, but this is perhaps my impression.

The problem is that Dellas can hardly jump (because of a bad back) and the marking of Ibrahimovic could be difficult to handle since the Swedes play like Norway (and Scotland) with long balls. So the defense will be tricky to choose.

Of course we all know what Otto thought 4 years ago against the Chechs but Kapsis is almost unanimously practically finished as a player and perhaps I should not even mention him as a solution. And I don't :LOL:

Perhaps an appropriately trained Chalkias should help here, like he did in parts of the game against Norway.

Upfront, because the Swedes have strong (but slow boys), I thought that Salpi may be good, but in a physical game he won't cope, so perhaps it is not a good idea for him to start. I'd be happy with Charisteas who fights a lot.

The 4-4-2 won't be easy to form yet. Lets wait for a few months and see which players we can put where. But I would hope for an attacking 4-4-2 (or 5-3-2 with attacks from the flanks as you mentioned) because I believe that Sweden is a big opportunity for us (they are not easy, please don't misundertand me on that), an opportunity for 3 points from the start and a hopeful tournament. I must admit that Otto is really lucky.

By the way, most recent news indicate that the chances of Otto remaining are reduced. Austria wants him and he may wish to retire there. Beate will play a key role and even if he leaves us he will always be regarded as a hero here, so parting may not be a big problem for him.

We will talk more about it.

Schematically (for the game against Sweden, not entirely sure about the players chosen):

Chalkias

Seitaridis Kyriakos Dellas Torosidis

Basinas Kara Katsouranis Stelios

Gekas Charisteas

(note that I am not sure about the players yet, this is just a positional display with the most likely names to appear to their most likely position each)

I put 4 in the middlefield because this is where I think most of the game will take place, against Sweden. Basinas is good on the side and he can cross well too, Kara can pressure and hold the ball, Katsouranis can pressure too and Gekas and Charisteas will be chasing their defense. We have the two attacking fullbacks, Toro and Giourkas and both Kyriakos and Dellas can be a danger with headers when we attack. So, actually, this seems to be a good choice of players too but I will have to change it depending on who is in form nearer the game.

let me know what you think

Schematically (for the game against Sweden, not entirely sure about the players chosen):

Chalkias

Seitaridis                    Kyriakos                  Dellas                      Torosidis

Basinas                          Kara                      Katsouranis                    Stelios

Gekas        Charisteas

(note that I am not sure about the players yet, this is just a positional display with the most likely names to appear to their most likely position each)

I put 4 in the middlefield because this is where I think most of the game will take place, against Sweden. Basinas is good on the side and he can cross well too, Kara can pressure and hold the ball, Katsouranis can pressure too and Gekas and Charisteas will be chasing their defense. We have the two attacking fullbacks, Toro and Giourkas and both Kyriakos and Dellas can be a danger with headers when we attack. So, actually, this seems to be a good choice of players too but I will have to change it depending on who is in form nearer the game.

let me know what you think

geok - i agree and hope that the match is played in the midfield, the greek central midfield usually outnumbers it's opponents central midfield every match.

the problem with this is that our central midfield usally plays too deep and reacts instead of proacting. given that, if our fullbacks also disappear from attacking, then greece won't score (unless kyrgiakos nails a set piece) and we'll get out-cornered 11-2.

this is what we saw for some 2 1/2 years from the greek 5-3-2. this was the reason i was hoping that otto would switch to a 4-3-3. not because we have the protypical wide forwards to play this scheme, but just to get away from the suicidal 5-3-2. a 4-4-2 was/is not an option, because greece has no quality wide midfielders, save for stelios. if lagos, christodoulopoulos or ninis get called up, greece could easily play a 4-4-2. i just don't see otto starting any of these players.

the 2006 lg cup was used by otto in a way he failed to explore in the 3 matches at the confederations cup. a 4-3-3 was used against south korea and saudi arabia (lagos as left forward), and greece had the better of the play against 2 frequent asian world cup qualifying nations. the pitch was stretched and we saw zagorakis score due to much more open field. lagos had a VERY good tournament. lagos (left) and stelios (right) are probably greece's best wide forwards if greece is to utilize a 4-3-3. ninis and christodoulopoulos are right behind to take stelios' place when stelios retires from international play.

anyways, otto now utilizes a 4-3-3 and it's a definate improvement (my opinion). though i will say, that otto may go back to a 5-3-2 at the euro. i would not put that past him.

as far as your 4-4-2, we've never seen basina play as wide right midfielder. we've seen karagouni play wide left, which is absolutely ridiculous. in my opinion, each lack any type of offensive skill set of a proto-typical wide midfielder. neither should play there. no pace, no crossing skills. if karagouni is to hold the ball up, holding the ball next to the touchline is a bad idea.

i think we're looking at a 4-3-3 or a 5-3-2. lagos is a wild card. lagos has been playing well for aek in recent matches. he still needs more match fitness to be a bit more crisper in passing and crossing, but he looks good. a greek tridente of:

------amanatidis----------------------------gekas------------------------------lagos------

may be brought into consideration, if lagos continues improving and impressing.

Thanks aek66, especially for reminding me of Lagos, who I was considering to put in the lineup as left winger but I found difficult to touch the "iron middlefield triplet" of Kara, Basinas and Katsouranis.

I honestly think that Otto will not change the middlefield triplet and either or both of Stelios and Lagos will come as substitutes, if we need to score.

If we play a 4-3-3 in Euro it would be impressive, but I don't think we will be able to do that throughout the tournament, and because the 5-3-2 has been successful in the past, we may adopt it against the bigger oppositions. We may even adopt it against Sweden or/and Russia (as nobody can really predict Otto).

With a 4-3-3, which I think is more likely against both Sweden and Russia, the defense seem to be most likely composed of these 4 people I mentioned, the middlefield will be the iron triplet (see above) and the 3 upfront could be:

Amanatidis-Gekas-Charisteas

or any other combination from the numerous players we have for this position.

There is another scenario that could possibly fit well against teams like Sweden/Russia, for example, an attacking 4-5-1, or a 4-3-2-1,

Seitaridis Kyriakos Dellas Torosidis

Lagos Basinas Kara Katsouranis Stelios

Gekas

which can easily become 4-3-3 with the appropriate substitutes. We could see that against Spain as well. It all depends who we are playing against and what are their weaknesses.

As for the 5-3-2 which is more likely to see more often in the coming tournament, it would be the 4 defenders above plus katsouranis in front of them, the triplet of Basinas, Kara and Stelios/? and 2 upfront being Charisteas with Gekas. I can see that working with Seitaridis and Torosidis attacking, turning it easily to a 3-5-2 when we attack and 5-3-2 when we defend. This would suit sides that are vulnerable from the sides.

I don't have good knowledge of the teams but Sweden seem to be in a transitional period with a lot of players likely to retire after Euro 2008, limited attacking options and a slow defense. For that game the 4-3-3 that we played against Turkey (and worked marvels) could be the solution.

One remark: Because Sweden play similar to Norway, where we used a 4-4-2 (see http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/fixt...report=lu.html), reviving a 4-4-2 for the games against Sweden/Russia, could be a possibility.

Anyway, I am sure that, like in the last EURO2004, we will appear fully ready for the first match (as we did 4 years ago) and less ready for the remaining 2, but I hope that the (winning) momentum from the first would be sufficient for the 2nd. With 2 wins, we can then relax in the last game against Spain and play for a draw. The key is 3 points in the first game

I dunno guys, I like Lagos and all but I just don't think he's done enough with AEK to warrant a spot on the NT. Maybe the fact that Ferrer plays him out of position on occasion tends to affect that. He'd be a decent option as a left winger but I just don't know if he's Euro quality. Then again, he is the only true left winger we've got. Wonder if Otto will give him a call-up for the friendlies...

• 2 weeks later...

Excerpt from an interview with the UEFA General Secretary David Taylor

uefa.com: The European Championship is considered by many as equal, if not of a higher level than the FIFA World Cup from a pure footballing point of view. But if you look at the results, in 1992 Denmark won as the great outsiders, in 1996 we had the Czech Republic reaching the final, which was not expected either, and in 2004 we had another outsider winning it in Greece. In modern football, can outsiders win a tournament like that?

David Taylor: I think you have just shown they can. What I remember about the 2004 final is the fantastic support the Greek football team had in the stadium. The supporters of Greece that day were singing and chanting from beginning to end, and it was tremendous the support they gave their team. Now maybe there's something there for these countries when they're not maybe the favourites for the tournament. If the supporters really get behind their team, the whole nation gets behind the team, it's remarkable what can be achieved. Now we have some of the strongest teams perhaps linked into one group in the EURO tournament, so maybe there's an opportunity there for the less-fancied teams to come through which always makes the tournament interesting in my book.

Spain to be banned from Euro 2008???? What would it mean for Group D???

According to Spanish Federation (RFEF) sources, FIFA Chairman Sepp Blatter will officially anounce on April 2nd that the Spanish NT is going to be disqualified from Euro'08 and all spanish teams banned from UEFA competitions. The measure would have immediate effect, thus makuing it impossible for any of the spanish teams (Madrid, Barça and Sevilla in CL, Atlético, Getafe and Villarreal in UEFA Cup) to even fight for a spot in the Moscow final.

The origin of this tyrannical threat is the incompatibility of FIFA rules with the Spanish laws, according to which elections must be called this year for the Presidency of RFEF.

RFEF's President Ramón María Villar has ruled the spanish football for two decades, and rampant corruption, from suspicious of embezzlement to influence on refereeing, has been associated with him for many years. Villar's influent position at FIFA's top is, without doubt, at the origin of this shocking announcement.

According to Spanish Federation (RFEF) sources, FIFA Chairman Sepp Blatter will officially anounce on April 2nd that the Spanish NT is going to be disqualified from Euro'08 and all spanish teams banned from UEFA competitions. The measure would have immediate effect, thus makuing it impossible for any of the spanish teams (Madrid, Barça and Sevilla in CL, Atlético, Getafe and Villarreal in UEFA Cup) to even fight for a spot in the Moscow final.

The origin of this tyrannical threat is the incompatibility of FIFA rules with the Spanish laws, according to which elections must be called this year for the Presidency of RFEF.

RFEF's President Ramón María Villar has ruled the spanish football for two decades, and rampant corruption, from suspicious of embezzlement to influence on refereeing, has been associated with him for many years. Villar's influent position at FIFA's top is, without doubt, at the origin of this shocking announcement.

I personally doubt that this scenario eventuates.

It smacks of an April Fools day stunt. Hmmm April 2nd? <_< If this was legitimate, why not effective immediately.

for group d it would mean that they would have to make new scarves.

where are you getting this information from anyway

Guest TheLegend

is this not what happened with greece???!??

This is just to scare them. They wouldnt ban a team that qualified.

Archived