Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Hungary - Greece

dark_horse

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also saw the header by Salpi to Gekas. Nice dive by Gekas who should had scored without diving...

Anyway, I think we should all be happy that we get to win on the road with the oddest of formations. The ref was one of the most pathetic ones I have seen in years.

Hungary fought hard (too hard at times) and deserved better, but that's life. We've been there for half a century getting plenty of moral victories but no success. Finaly, we are going through a little "golden age" and I am going to enjoy it. Bravo to Otto, EPO, and all the players who make us proud.

Our performance was bad, but who remember performances? History and fans only remember the actual result. There is no rules in football that subsidize good form. Football is a simple game where the one who makes the most goals wins. Greece made two yesterday, and Hungary made one. That's why we are Euro champs, that's why we stamped our tickets for next summer, and that's why Hungary (and many many others) will be watching us from their couch. By next June we won't even be remembering this meaningless game.

It's fun to enjoy our wins, and it's also fun for a fan to project himself as a coach (and player). So, since I love analyzing the game as much as most here, I can't resist. It makes the wins even more fun :)

Otto is an odd cookie for sure. Vintra, Katsouranis, Kyriakos, Kapsis as our NT defense is surreal!

But hey, Dali had an odd mustache and did not prevent him from being famous

Like everyone pointed out the team looked horrible with this defense, and the midfielders were very busy defending and covering in the back than creating. Our major problem was that the midfielders could not string more than two passes together. They kept gifting the ball, and then they were unable to get behind it, leaving our poor defenders exposed constantly.

Our forwards were so bored and lonely on offense, they often came back on defense to see what color the ball is.

I have my favorites as well. I wanted to see Tziolis play a whole game (beside the spotty markiing in the first goal he played well in midfield), and I wanted to see Spyropoulos start on the left. Pulling Katsouranis from midfield made it weaker. Patsatzoglou (ashamed of his own name it seems) is nowhere near a RM of NT quality. he was better when he moved to DM, but he was also Hungary's best passer.

Karagounis just run around like a maniac, most of the time without cause. It was really funny to see him run all the way from the left wing once to come all the way back to the right behind midfield to ask for the ball from Basinas with some urgency. They both stood all alone there since most of the time Hungarians formed two defensive lines behind center field and just waited there. So Basinas gave him the ball in the space of two meters. Karagounis stops it, and then gives it right back to Basinas :blink: needless to say I was floored laughing.

Yesterday I began gaining some access to Otto's methods. While most of us have created a logical hierarchy of players by position, Otto seems to have a rigid hierarchy in his mind that is independent of positions. For example, in his mind it is inconceivable that some players would jump ahead and start a game instead of another one that's more senior, or ranked higher in his position-independent chart. Otto stirred the soup to fit in all the more senior players. It's like the army where seniority is the most important thing.

Well, maybe I am wrong, but I am trying to make some sense of this universe as best as I can, and that's the best I can come up with.

In other news: We are going to Austria/Switzerland baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hail to our entire NT once again :nw: :nw: :nw:

@Aek66 and as5664. You both make very good points. On the one hand we have the argument "Otto is making tactical mistakes", on the other, "who are you to say that when results speak for themselves". England have failed to qualify when qualification was given to them on a silver platter. Greece won more points than any other team, so who are we to judge King Otto?

HOWEVER, although I appreciate that stance, in this discussion I'm leaning towards Aek66's stance. Serbia were incredible in the qualifiers for the last World Cup and when they actually got to the finals their campaign was a disaster and they ended up with no points. So just because a team is doing well does not mean they do not have limitations that will be exposed at a later date by stronger opposition. A couple of months ago I was saying Spyropoulos should be given a chance at left back, and your response (as5664) was "wait til qualification is secured". So what excuse is there for not playing him yesterday and instead going for a 34 year old centreback that plays in Cyprus out of position???

Anyway, I'll leave you two to duke it out... as for my opinions on the game. Tziolis is not good enough for international football. He is too top heavy, has no balance, no pace and his first chance is not good enough! I don't understand why he is so overrated.

Anohther thing that worried me is when our players were closed down they lost the ball too easily. The last time we really saw that was against Turkey, so if we're being harried we seem to lose the plot. The worst at that was Patsa and Karagounis last night. Personally, I think Patsa just had an unusually bad game and the abysmal pitch may have been to blame for many of the players slipping about all over the place. However, Karagounis seems to turn his back everytime he's shut down. It's very worrying.

As for the goalkeeping situation, Halkias looked very uncomfortable when under pressure but his shot stopping was great, what a save from Tozser's shot. Amazing. I'm still 50/50 as to who should be our first keeper. When both at their best I think Nikopolidi is better but Halkias is more stable. So Otto's idea of rotating them is great because the defence can learn to play with both of them and when the tournament comes the most in-form keeper can play.

Now to the strike-force. This is a very difficult situation. I feel for Salpi because whenever he plays he seems to be in an unfavourable situation. The service he got was abysmal last night so how can you judge him? One thing is for sure though, Gekas and Salpi does not work. Samaras didn't do much either but his ability to come deep made him more valuable. Seeing the competition among the forward will be great in the coming weeks. Lybe, Gekas, Haristeas, and Amanatidis have to be in though, that's for sure.

In conclusion, we were poor last night and it worried me because the games where it appears that the opposition don't fear us we don't perform. Norway away, Hungary away, and Turkey at home we weren't allowed to play and were attacked! They've been our worst performances so I'm worried. We also need to arrange some friendlies against very strong opposition. Germany, England, and Hollland would be great tests. Also the so called lesser powers like Poland, and Croatia, etc. I say this because our group was weak and we don't want a Serbia-type journey.

Paidia a couple of comments:

1) WE are not Euro champs the team is. WE are nothing but simple spectators, period, end of story!

2) as5664 says "First, it is VERY difficult to give 100% when you have qualified and are playing 2 minnow teams for nothing (wc qualification aside). The fact that they put any effort at all and still won both matches --especially tonight's away game to a team desperate to avoid humiliation--was, for me, quite astonishing". I say this is absolutely the wrong way to approach life. A professional gives 110% effort, at all times, not slack off if/when he can. That's not professionalism and that's not class, that's mediocrity at best. It's high time we Greeks realized this simple fact, and change such attitudes accordingly, if we are to ever escape our mediocrity.

3) No doubt Otto brought Greek football to a new level, and obviously knows more on the subject than all of us put together, and then some!

This team has the makings to achieving great things, if they forget the kafenia and the skiladika and instead concentrate with absolute determination on the task at hand. A repeat should be their objective and they should eat, sleep and dream nothing else.

ha ha ha ha ha ha

re paidia its party time, we are defending our title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETHNIKI MOU S'AGAPAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha ha ha ha

we have certainly silenced the critics!!!!!!!

we WILL be champions again!!!!! we will take the gold again!!!!!!!

ZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII EEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

PS gcp WE FANS are the reason for the ethniki's and its players' existance, without us the ethniki is nothing...the players are no bodys...The ethniki did put in time and effort but why??? for sporting glory??? for national pride???? we may be spectators but without us, whats the point of all these dreams???

WE are a part of this, WE feel millions of emotions during games, WE want all the same things the team does!!!!!!!!

WE will be at the euro GCP WE will be there, you are welcome to join us!!!!!!

AINTE GEIA

tziolis looked bad on the hungary goal yes. but he was behind the defender and had no support from patsa OR kyrgiiakos. if u watch the replay again u will see how kyrgiakos kept backtracking instead of challenging for the ball and patsa too. although yes tziolis looked weak on the goal he is not the only one who should be blamed.

and i will try to get the replay for you on the salpi header.

but just the fact that yiu didnt see it makes me wonder how closely you were paying attention to eveyr single player on the pitch

tziolis looked bad on the hungary goal yes. but he was behind the defender and had no support from patsa OR kyrgiiakos. if u watch the replay again u will see how kyrgiakos kept backtracking instead of challenging for the ball and patsa too. although yes tziolis looked weak on the goal he is not the only one who should be blamed.

and i will try to get the replay for you on the salpi header.

but just the fact that yiu didnt see it makes me wonder how closely you were paying attention to eveyr single player on the pitch

It's not just Tziolis on the goal though re file. His first touch/control was terrible!! He was very slow too. I understand as a PAO fan you want to defend him, and Aek66 like's him (or at least believes that he deserves more of a chance), for me though he just isn't good enough.

Also, I'm a big fan of Salpi. I've always defended him on here. One reason for that is beacuse I like players that can make something happen through sheer passion/work rate. He deserves more of a chance with the NT (look how long Amanatidi took to take off), having said all this however, Samaras does offer some creativity and very good technical ability so if Salpi is to make it he has to get his act together.

i dont think basinas is the fastest player out there either and he seemed to do ok throughout his european career. if u take tziolis performance just from yesterday, being part of a lineup that never played together, its easy to find negative points.

but i ask you this, name me one player that was good in the first half in yesterdays match.

and it has nothing to do with me being a pao fan. i believe that a 22 year old kid cant be judged on one effort. he may not have the speed of a basinas, :P , but i dont htink he doesnt merit a chance. Basinas, Karagounis, kyrgiakos and vyntra all had horrible first halfs and they were or are part of pao teams.

I dont need to defend pao when it comes to the national team. its two totally different diorganosis. besides, given that 70% of our euro championship team was from pao, i dont need to defend that. :P

In all seriousness though. the one thing greeks have is a tendancy to judge too quickly. when Gekas was with pao, you could look back at all the posts from back then, people were laughin when he got called up with the national team. and after his first few appearances, myself included, we were happy to make fun of him. But that was on a team that was struggling and didnt even make it to the world cup.

but now that he went to germany, where he cherry picks all the time andall the teams play a zoni defense, he scores 20 goals and he is indispensable. but it took him two years to score a goal for our ethniki.

im not saying that tziolis is our savior at midfield, but he cant be as bad as you say DUDE.

Besides, werent you the one that said Oly would get raped in eruope this year because the team had no talent. and now you, along with everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon.

lets not judge too quiclly based on one performance where he was not very good, but neither was any of the other 9 players on the field. Chalkias excluded.

but i guess thats what sets us humans apart from animals. we have the ability to disagree and are entitled to our opinion. BUT IM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG. TEST ME AGAIN AND I WILL EAT YOU CUBS AND PEE ON UR TERRITORY

ok i may have been a bit forward and kinda sarcastic and i apologize. i still however think that you cant only fault tziolis on the goal. kyrgiakos and patsa were mere tourists and tziolis was the only one chasing him. once he got beat, and it happens, the other two lent no support whatsoever.

besides, the ball then went from the hungarians foot off katsou`s foot over chalkias who was strecthed out and into the net.

i think its fair to assume that had that ball hit the foot and went the other way and the play had ended there, thaqt tziolis would of been more remembered for the flick rather then a weak effort followed by no support from his teamates and a fluke defelction.

and if tziolis is directly to blame for the goal, even if it is an own goal, then he is to take credit for the first goal seeing as how his chip pass is what went to their d`s player,aimed for salpi.

either way, like i said, a player cant be blamed for having an average half , on a team which was below average altogether. chalkias excluded.

aek66 you are a posting machine!!!!!

keep up the good work.

on the hungary goal... I'm going to say that it looked like a fluke, s%$#! happens. It was as if jesus himself kicked the ball for hungary, no one was at fault. The good thing is the ethniki came back in a game they didnt technically need to win. This is a huge posative.

ha ha

i still cant believe we will actually be in the EURO again. ZITO!!!! ZITO!! I ELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets keep our trophy in GREECE where it belongs !!!!!!

aek66 you are a posting machine!!!!!

keep up the good work.

i second that. always a pleasure to read your opinions.

as for ratings, i dont feel competent to judge the players. i didnt see the whole game and missed every goal except for the gekas dive, etc. generally speaking, i had the impression that basinas was our best man. apart from that i can say very little.

on a whole, i think its hard to analyse a wasted match.

i dont see any sense in talking about kapsis on the left side. kapsis is a player i would prefer not to have on the squad at all. the thought of him as a left defender is absolutely ludicrous. i would have rather had vyntra play there who is my mere third option for left back position. why did otto do it? i have no idea.garbage move. lets pray we never see this again and wa all knew we dont want even before seeing it in practice. i dont see the sense in this experiment.

katsou in the cb position. something that does seem to work with benfica. at nm level do we need to waste katsou in the cb position? probably not. it would have been wiser to have kapsis play there to see if this guy has anything to offer. but we still have time for this experiment :(

patsa was weak in the dm position. so does that disqualify him for further endouvers? hmmh...given the overall bad dispaly its hard to judge this. in any case i would prefer toro over patsa in the midfield. good to have patsa on the squad though.

i wouldnt be too quick to judge tziolis. chalkias injured himself early in the match, so we can treally put him up against nikopolidis. still had a good showing.

if i was otto and wanted to experiment/ rest players, i would have put the following 11 to the test in budapest:

....chalkias.....

vyntra..kapsis..kiriakos..spyropoulos

..............patsa..tziolis

..................katsou

stelios(salpi)...salpi(mantzios)...samaras

that way i belive we could have seen alot better what players may have to offer plus rest influential key figures such as basinas, karagounis who have proven their worth. i would also like to see katsou inhi old aek role getting more involved offensively. well we lost the chance to do so. lest wait for the next friendlies, etc. probably we can only judge otto in the long run but i really didnt understand his thought process in budapest. to me it was a move back to 2005.

FIFA posted the latest rankings. Greece is officially in 9th place in the UEFA group, and 11th worldwide :gr:

(http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=27275&rank=163)

anking Zonal Ranking Team Pts

Nov 07 +/- Ranking

Oct 07 +/- Pts

Oct 07

3 1  Italy 1498 0  111

4 2  Spain 1349 2  123

5 3  Germany 1296 0  51

6 4  Czech Republic 1290 3  116

7 5  France 1243 -3  -28

8 6  Portugal 1241 0  38

9 7  Netherlands 1170 -2  -37

10 8  Croatia 1129 0  -26

11 9  Greece 1114 3  80

12 10  England 1113 -1  -24

13 11  Romania 1088 -1  2

14 12  Scotland 990 -1  -59

16 13  Turkey 924 12  153

18 14  Bulgaria 877 16  160

22 15  Russia 861 -6  -99

23 16  Poland 855 -3  18

24 17  Sweden 853 0  32

26 18  Israel 852 11  145

28 19  Norway 827 -7  -3

29 20  Ukraine 824 -7  -4

30 21  Serbia 820 -3  34

31 22  Denmark 797 -2  28

32 23  Northern Ireland 780 4  64

35 24  Republic of Ireland 731 -3  9

36 25  Finland 695 8  28

44 26  Switzerland 657 -3  -19

49 27  Belgium 600 5  23

50 28  Slovakia 590 0  -10

51 29  Bosnia-Herzegovina 585 -3  -45

52 30  Hungary 581 -4  -49

53 31  Moldova 579 8  82

58 32  Wales 560 0  39

59 33  FYR Macedonia 556 16  133

60 34  Belarus 552 34  194

61 35  Lithuania 549 29  169

65 36  Cyprus 493 -8  -63

77 37  Georgia 414 -6  -33

82 38  Albania 407 -12  -48

83 39  Slovenia 403 -7  -19

88 40  Latvia 383 -2  -3

89 41  Iceland 380 -10  -30

90 42  Armenia 367 -8  -33

91 43  Austria 366 -3  -16

110 44  Kazakhstan 297 12  48

118 45  Azerbaijan 274 -2  -5

123 46  Liechtenstein 260 -4  -2

128 47  Estonia 223 2  12

139 48  Malta 183 -2  -13

152 49  Luxembourg 127 -2  -5

172 50  Montenegro 65 -1  0

174 51  Andorra 57 -1  -4

195 52  Faroe Islands 12 -1  0

197 53  San Marino 6 -1  0

i dont think basinas is the fastest player out there either and he seemed to do ok throughout his european career. if u take tziolis performance just from yesterday, being part of a lineup that never played together, its easy to find negative points.

but i ask you this, name me one player that was good in the first half in yesterdays match.

and it has nothing to do with me being a pao fan. i believe that a 22 year old kid cant be judged on one effort. he may not have the speed of a basinas, :P , but i dont htink he doesnt merit a chance. Basinas, Karagounis, kyrgiakos and vyntra all had horrible first halfs and they were or are part of pao teams.

I dont need to defend pao when it comes to the national team. its two totally different diorganosis. besides, given that 70% of our euro championship team was from pao, i dont need to defend that. :P

In all seriousness though. the one thing greeks have is a tendancy to judge too quickly. when Gekas was with pao, you could look back at all the posts from back then, people were laughin when he got called up with the national team. and after his first few appearances, myself included, we were happy to make fun of him. But that was on a team that was struggling and didnt even make it to the world cup.

but now that he went to germany, where he cherry picks all the time andall the teams play a zoni defense, he scores 20 goals and he is indispensable. but it took him two years to score a goal for our ethniki.

im not saying that tziolis is our savior at midfield, but he cant be as bad as you say DUDE.

Besides, werent you the one that said Oly would get raped in eruope this year because the team had no talent. and now you, along with everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon.

lets not judge too quiclly based on one performance where he was not very good, but neither was any of the other 9 players on the field. Chalkias excluded.

Tziolis is much slower than Basinas, not only in natural pace but also in speed of thought and if you think he's an international player then you're deluding yourself. Comparing them is ridiculous.

As for Oly. I said that instead of strengthening our team we've weakened it. I hope I'm wrong but we have only won 1 game in the CL and struggling in the league so before you judge me let's see how the rest of the campaign goes.

but i guess thats what sets us humans apart from animals. we have the ability to disagree and are entitled to our opinion. BUT IM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG. TEST ME AGAIN AND I WILL EAT YOU CUBS AND PEE ON UR TERRITORY

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

katsou in the cb position. something that does seem to work with benfica. at nm level do we need to waste katsou in the cb position? probably not. it would have been wiser to have kapsis play there to see if this guy has anything to offer. but we still have time for this experiment

patsa was weak in the dm position. so does that disqualify him for further endouvers? hmmh...given the overall bad dispaly its hard to judge this. in any case i would prefer toro over patsa in the midfield. good to have patsa on the squad though.

Perhaps Otto was playing with our defense in order to test our keepers? They really didn't have to do much in this campaign.

I'm trying to think there was some rationale behind these decisions; I doubt a veteran 69 year old German coach would make any decision without some solid reasons.

Germans meticulously plan out everything, even how and when they go to the bathroom :P

@Aek66 and as5664. You both make very good points. On the one hand we have the argument "Otto is making tactical mistakes", on the other, "who are you to say that when results speak for themselves". England have failed to qualify when qualification was given to them on a silver platter. Greece won more points than any other team, so who are we to judge King Otto?

HOWEVER, although I appreciate that stance, in this discussion I'm leaning towards Aek66's stance. Serbia were incredible in the qualifiers for the last World Cup and when they actually got to the finals their campaign was a disaster and they ended up with no points. So just because a team is doing well does not mean they do not have limitations that will be exposed at a later date by stronger opposition. A couple of months ago I was saying Spyropoulos should be given a chance at left back, and your response (as5664) was "wait til qualification is secured". So what excuse is there for not playing him yesterday and instead going for a 34 year old centreback that plays in Cyprus out of position???

Anyway, I'll leave you two to duke it out... as for my opinions on the game. Tziolis is not good enough for international football. He is too top heavy, has no balance, no pace and his first chance is not good enough! I don't understand why he is so overrated.

Anohther thing that worried me is when our players were closed down they lost the ball too easily. The last time we really saw that was against Turkey, so if we're being harried we seem to lose the plot. The worst at that was Patsa and Karagounis last night. Personally, I think Patsa just had an unusually bad game and the abysmal pitch may have been to blame for many of the players slipping about all over the place. However, Karagounis seems to turn his back everytime he's shut down. It's very worrying.

As for the goalkeeping situation, Halkias looked very uncomfortable when under pressure but his shot stopping was great, what a save from Tozser's shot. Amazing. I'm still 50/50 as to who should be our first keeper. When both at their best I think Nikopolidi is better but Halkias is more stable. So Otto's idea of rotating them is great because the defence can learn to play with both of them and when the tournament comes the most in-form keeper can play.

Now to the strike-force. This is a very difficult situation. I feel for Salpi because whenever he plays he seems to be in an unfavourable situation. The service he got was abysmal last night so how can you judge him? One thing is for sure though, Gekas and Salpi does not work. Samaras didn't do much either but his ability to come deep made him more valuable. Seeing the competition among the forward will be great in the coming weeks. Lybe, Gekas, Haristeas, and Amanatidis have to be in though, that's for sure.

In conclusion, we were poor last night and it worried me because the games where it appears that the opposition don't fear us we don't perform. Norway away, Hungary away, and Turkey at home we weren't allowed to play and were attacked! They've been our worst performances so I'm worried.

katsou in the cb position. something that does seem to work with benfica. at nm level do we need to waste katsou in the cb position? probably not. it would have been wiser to have kapsis play there to see if this guy has anything to offer. but we still have time for this experiment 

Perhaps Otto was playing with our defense in order to test our keepers? They really didn't have to do much in this campaign.

I'm trying to think there was some rationale behind these decisions; I doubt a veteran 69 year old German coach would make any decision without some solid reasons.

Germans meticulously plan out everything, even how and when they go to the bathroom :P

I dont remember saying that???????

i wasn't trying to imply we're a 'failing joke team', i SHOUTED - we were that against hungary - mostly due to otto putting players into positions to fail.

with preformances like that, europe questions. the thing is, we who follow greece know better than most euro fans. how many danish football fans know about the current left fullback controversey? anyways, high-lites are shown - chalkias making saves, dubious foul and then greek penalty kick, and people smirk.

once again, like it or not, after failing in the 2006 w.c. qualifiers, greek detractors had a field day.

as far as implying that otto purposely played a dysfunctional defense to test chalkias...1) does that even deserve a 2nd thought? 2) if true, then you are saying what i'm saying, only you're saying that otto purposely put players into a position to fail.

also - in 2005, kapsis played left back in denmark...and played it abysmally, in a greek loss that ended 99% of qualifying hopes.

Yes, obviously that is far fetched; I'm just concocting some type of hypothetical rationale.

So, what are you implying?? Otto is inept? Or he just doesn't care about our performance and results? I really find that hard to believe. There must be SOME reason for his tactics and squad selection.

I don't know what to say anymore. Frankly, it's kind of depressing...my joy of qualification is gone after reading these boards :(

As for people smirking, I could care less. Where is Denmark? Where are the English?? Their players will be watching for home. Nevertheless, the English are such arrogant braggarts, they will ALWAYS have something to say.

Actually, speaking of the English, I recently read an article that the they were interested in Rehhagel, who has already expressed interest in the job. So you may have your wish after this summer. When we are playing correct football and we are back in 36th place in the FIFA ranking, and not qualifying for any tournaments, write me then :)

Archived