Phantis Forums

BEROIA - PAO

MadBoy13

Anyway, one more point: PAO's success in the past came because we had a solid defensive line; I haven't seen this in a long time since. Especially in Europe, you've got to have a solid defense.

Still can't understand why Vyntra is with us.... [this player is the luckiest ever! or, he's a blackmail artist :LOL: ...]

I think it's a whole team attitude. We departed from what gave us success (solid defense and efficiency up front) to build a team that would be a bit more exciting. In the process we have lost our defensive dominance without gaining an edge on offense. Like they say in Greece, we have lost the eggs and the baskets.

Personally, I like the direction we have taken, and I want to see more offensive prowess from our team. I think it would take a lot more work and at least three dominant players to succeed.

Schemes and formations can take you so far. The bottom line is that the good players make the difference. We need at least 11 players that will dominate their area 90% of the time. Right now we don't have them, and our team play can't compensate consistently.

Vintra is just the most extreme case. He has been the most durable and luckiest back for the last three years, and, having watched just about every game, I think that instead of improving, he has regressed. In the game against Veria it was very frustrating to watch how he could not perform the most basic of tasks in the field when he moved forward. Honestly, I would try someone else in this position (either Romero, or Dimoutsos) at least in some friendlies to see if someone can cover the RB position any better until the winter transfer season...

Yes, good players make a difference, but not always. Obviously you have to have those to do well, but it's not an automatic thing. The internal culture and institutional memory are extremely important too.

Internal culture means that there's a pleasant, professional environment within an organization. Look at your work place for example. If the air stinks bad attitutide and bad things happen. This is more improtant the "higher" more complex duties are involved... ie, being creative and having the motivation to go the extra mile.

Institutional memory means that you change the team slowly making sure you keep the sense that this club is special. It's not only experience you have from older players but also to transmit a sense of history about the team. We've seen it too often that tourists come and go and don't realize what PAO is. They don't understand that losing to Oly is a huge thing.

You are absolutely right on this point Athinaie, and I think we've had this conversation before (last year about the same time?)

Cultural memory is the most important thing for an organization. It comes from keeping a sense of history in the forefront and maintaining an urgency to maintain continuity and high standards. It also comes from keeping the living cells of this history involved at every level; on the field, at the front office, in the stands.

It bothers me when a loss to anyone is seen as business as usual for PAO, and especially if the loss or tie comes against Oly or AEK.

No need to worry though. This is a new team, with a new coach and I think we 'll see a few up and downs before the team steadies itself.

Archived