Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Turkey - Greece

plato-ny

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a way I can see the game on the net?

I am not having a good feeling about this game. Our boys have had a tendency to give up goals in the last minute of games and this may come back to haunt them. The Turks have nothing to lose and are going to try to bloody the Greeks.

Best,

A

I am not having a good feeling about this game. Our boys have had a tendency to give up goals in the last minute of games and this may come back to haunt them.

same here :(

Otto Rehhagel wants his side to qualify for UEFA EURO 2008™ with "a win right here" in Turkey as the Mediterrannean rivals meet again in a tight Group C.

'Big opportunity'

The European champions received a nasty wake-up call early in their campaign when they lost 4-1 at home against Turkey, but they have regained their composure and their German coach is now eyeing all three points at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium in Istanbul, saying: "I have repeatedly told my players that they have gained everybody's respect with their performances so far. Now they have a big opportunity to qualify with a win right here. We must concentrate on this encounter and not think about the remaining matches."

Olive branch

Four points clear at the top of Group C, a win would seal Greece's progress provided that third-placed Norway lose in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Turkey coach Fatih Terim said that he hoped Bosnia-Herzegovina and Turkey would win tonight so that the Mediterrannean neighbours could both qualify for the finals. Rehhagel, however, was not in the mood for such talk. "We are only thinking about ourselves and not about Turkey," he said. "I don't think they gave us much consideration when they beat us 4-1 in Piraeus in March."

Defensive absentees

Right-back Giourkas Seitaridis returns from suspension for the Turkey game, but yellow cards in the 3-2 win against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday see both defensive midfielder Konstantinos Katsouranis and defender Christos Patsatzoglou miss out. Katsouranis' place alongside Angelos Basinas will be taken by Olympiacos CFP's Paraskevas Antzas while the German coach will continue to rely on Sotirios Kyrgiakos and Traianos Dellas in the centre of defence with Vassilios Torosidis at left-back.

Evasive coach

Georgios Karagounis will play on the left side of the midfield, while Angelos Charisteas and Theofanis Gekas – who both scored on Saturday – should start in attack. The only dilemma Rehhagel faces is whether to use Ioannis Amanatidis or Stelios Giannakopoulos at right midfield. Asked whether Antonios Nikopolidis or Konstantinos Chalkias would start in goal tonight, he replied teasingly: "You will get your answer just before kick-off."

Source.

1/2 an hour left till the game

how about Russia beating England 2-1??????

Yeah, I can't believe England lost....I assume their media are going to blame the turf.

I'm so excited for this match, ella Ellada, gamisetous!!!

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

1/2 an hour left till the game

how about Russia beating England 2-1??????

England had a 1-0 lead with 20 minutes left but stayed back most of the 2nd half to protect the lead. That gave Russia some confidence to make plays and they eventually scored twice in 5 minutes.

You should only play back in the last 10 minutes. Moving back too soon gives up too many chances. If Greece gets the lead I hope they don't make the same mistake.

Archived