Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Norway - Greece

dark_horse

The best senerio we can hope for is :

Norway - Greece draw

Turkey - Hungary draw (mostly likely will not happen)

Bosnia - Moldova Bosnia win

Bosnia's victory would not mean anything, if they lose to Greece, there done.

Hungary has been playing better, but in Turkey's first offical home match in Turkey, it will be a walk in the park for the Turks.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Further to my comments and to the response by loop above, there is now an article (www.sportfm.gr) that confirms several of my predictions (5-3-2 with Antzas in defense alongside Dellas and kyriakos and Salpi upfront), but that could be a trick by Otto to surprize the opposition. I think that the squad and formation should depend on the opposition squad and formation.

From what the players and the coach have said in the last few days, they appear to know Norway pretty well. For that reason I am not too concerned. I think we will get a good result in Norway.

More news, developments and opinions to follow shortly.

And a Joke: MITSOTAKIS wishes best of luck to Norway hahahahahahahaha

:gr:

I don't have a good feeling about this one. I think the team has only four midfielders listed in his starting 22. That is insanity, this is the only time I've ever seen a team with 4 midfielders. The Norwegians know that if one of the Greek midfielders gets injured that they are all set.

I hope that Gekas and Salpi shine. I am disapointed we have Dellas, he is not the player he was three years ago. If we win, we are in, but if we draw I would consider that a major victory.

Andrew

Unless Torosidis plays the midfield, it's pretty obvious what our choices are; either a 4-3-3, or, the more obvious, 5-3-2.

Honestly, I hope Rehhagel goes with the 4-3-3. The 5-3-2 was good with a team like Malta, because any offensive game would be invaluable against a team willing to keep 9 men at bay, and work on the counter-attack; like they did against Turkey (or, the "Turgays", as they are known on YouTube :D )

Considering our options, and Norways offense, we need to keep them pinned against the ropes.

I'm guessing Norway is going to go in with a 4-4-2. I think 4-3-3 will offer more flexibility between defensive and offensive play.

Needless to say, if we lose tomorrow, qualification will be an uphill battle. Unless, of course, by some miracle, Turkey loses/ties against Hungary, and Bosnia ties/loses against Moldova

Further to my comments and to the response by loop above, there is now an article (www.sportfm.gr) that confirms several of my predictions (5-3-2 with Antzas in defense alongside Dellas and kyriakos and Salpi upfront), but that could be a trick by Otto to surprize the opposition. I think that the squad and formation should depend on the opposition squad and formation.

From what the players and the coach have said in the last few days, they appear to know Norway pretty well. For that reason I am not too concerned. I think we will get a good result in Norway.

More news, developments and opinions to follow shortly.

And a Joke: MITSOTAKIS wishes best of luck to Norway hahahahahahahaha

I'm confused, what do you mean?

I'M CRUSHED I THOUGHT THE GAME WAS AT 3 PM EST - BUT IT IS AT 1 - NO CHANCE OF SEEING THIS ONE, NO JUMPTV EITHER FOR THE ON-DEMAND DELAYED BROADCAST

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I GUESS I WILL WATCH THE REPLAY ON SETANTA THE NEXT DAY - I WIL L ATTEMPT TO NOT HEAR ABOUT THE SCORE FOR 24 HOURS - WISH ME LUCK

Dear Dude,

Mitsotakis is a well known bringer of good fortune. In the 80ties, when he visited countries, a week after his departure there were earthquakes, military coups or a deep financial crisis hit the country (For example Ozal died when Mitsotakis visited his Turkey). During Euro 2004 and before the game against the Czechs, there were Greek T-shirts with Mitsotakis printed of them and a writting: "Good luck to Czech Republic!!!" and the rest was history: we all know what happened to them :)

Anyway all is seemingly a joke but the guy is linked (very well justified) to incidents of very bad luck (talk to other Greeks who will confirm this).

The purpose of this short article is to say something about our coach. I need to say something about him.

For the last 3 years we have all criticised our NT coach, Otto Rehaghel over many issues. Most of the accusations are well founded and based on evidence. I have personally criticised him a lot especially during our bad night against Turkey. And I don't regret this, in fact I encourage more (fair) criticism on Otto. I have a strong feeling that most of us are definitely right.

Although many (and maybe even most) of our accusations are correct, tonight I would like to say a few good words about him. And I choose tonight, because what I will say about him will not be changed by tomorrow's game, whatever the result.

Coaching is a tough job and a lot of success is a matter of luck: every coach tries to maximize his likelihood of success by optimizing the factors that he/she things determine the victory. And the reward is a lot of money, fame and happiness. Failure brings poverty, humiliation, redunduncy and ridicule (e.g. Alefantos). So, that no-one wants to fail.

I would say that during his whole career in the National Team Otto never shown an intention to lose in purpose; let's face it: no-one likes or really wants to lose and Rehaghel has shown he is a winner (just look at his CV and his career). He has done particularly well in this qualifying campaign. Even during the previous qualification campaign for the world cup, he didn't do that bad, think that if we had beaten Albania, we would have been second and gone to the play-offs against a Swiss that we could bypass. In that occasion, he made more mistakes than now, which he appears to have learned from.

He has only made a slow refreshment of the team, the term "renewal" that we all demand from him (but yet again who can change a whole team that created the greatest surprize in sporting history ever?). We have seen Fyssas for example not been called in the NT, something that a lot of us supported, some time ago (and this time he was only called due to injuries of other players). He could have done better in that area by calling more new players. And he will have to do that, it is in-evitable. During the game he usually does the right substitutions (see for example Lyberopoulos who has given us crucial points in important games), although many say that this is due to Topalidis, but again Topalidis is Otto's choice...

I want to give credit to Otto about the things he says: Read his statements in the media: we will always speak wisely, hiding everything from the opponent. In his 6 years in the NT, no-one has managed to fish out a single tactical secret from him. Look the way that he handled our defeat by Turkey. He was calm, made changes and focused attention in the following game. And he went on and was successful.

Otto is a man like all of us. He is not the best in the world. But he is quite good. He does mistakes and he will make mistakes. But I cannot deny or take away from him his desire to get it right and succeed. He wants that and he believes in it. He has a fighting spirit. He has the guts and he has the pedigree for success. He has shown it. Sometimes every man has a bad period in his life; a time when everything goes wrong. This will eventually happen to everyone. I see that Otto had his bad spell in the previous qualifying campaign in a tight group but is on the rising again, in-dependently of the result tomorrow (don't forget the players' responsibility too because they are playing the game, not Otto). I see a good knowledge of our opponent and good spirit among the team.

Otto has given the correct message: we must fight in every game and there are no easy games. Don't forget that the players have most of the responsibility for the qualifications/victories/defeats, etc as these are the ones who play.

I am optimistic about the future of our team: We all want to see Otto in good form and things going his way again. If not, many of us would like to see Nioplias or another appropriate coach in the Greek NT. So there are only good prospects for us;l my only reservation rests with those people that make the decisions (EPO/Gagatsis) who can schedule a high-profile international friendly in an in-appropriate football pitch and humiliate our country. These are the real enemies.

I hope that our players get into the coming game with a fighting spirit and give their 100%. The good result will be a direct consequence. We saw it in Portugal in the miraculous year 2004. Since then we believe that anything can happen and we have a reason to believe so: because we have achieved the impossible.

geok

Dear Dude,

Mitsotakis is a well known bringer of good fortune. In the 80ties, when he visited countries, a week after his departure there were earthquakes, military coups or a deep financial crisis hit the country (For example Ozal died when Mitsotakis visited his Turkey). During Euro 2004 and before the game against the Czechs, there were Greek T-shirts with Mitsotakis printed of them and a writting: "Good luck to Czech Republic!!!" and the rest was history: we all know what happened to them :)

Anyway all is seemingly a joke but the guy is linked (very well justified) to incidents of very bad luck (talk to other Greeks who will confirm this).

The purpose of this short article is to say something about our coach. I need to say something about him.

For the last 3 years we have all criticised our NT coach, Otto Rehaghel over many issues. Most of the accusations are well founded and based on evidence. I have personally criticised him a lot especially during our bad night against Turkey. And I don't regret this, in fact I encourage more (fair) criticism on Otto. I have a strong feeling that most of us are definitely right.

Although many (and maybe even most) of our accusations are correct, tonight I would like to say a few good words about him. And I choose tonight, because what I will say about him will not be changed by tomorrow's game, whatever the result.

Coaching is a tough job and a lot of success is a matter of luck: every coach tries to maximize his likelihood of success by optimizing the factors that he/she things determine the victory. And the reward is a lot of money, fame and happiness. Failure brings poverty, humiliation, redunduncy and ridicule (e.g. Alefantos). So, that no-one wants to fail.

I would say that during his whole career in the National Team Otto never shown an intention to lose in purpose; let's face it: no-one likes or really wants to lose and Rehaghel has shown he is a winner (just look at his CV and his career). He has done particularly well in this qualifying campaign. Even during the previous qualification campaign for the world cup, he didn't do that bad, think that if we had beaten Albania, we would have been second and gone to the play-offs against a Swiss that we could bypass. In that occasion, he made more mistakes than now, which he appears to have learned from.

He has only made a slow refreshment of the team, the term "renewal" that we all demand from him (but yet again who can change a whole team that created the greatest surprize in sporting history ever?). We have seen Fyssas for example not been called in the NT, something that a lot of us supported, some time ago (and this time he was only called due to injuries of other players). He could have done better in that area by calling more new players. And he will have to do that, it is in-evitable. During the game he usually does the right substitutions (see for example Lyberopoulos who has given us crucial points in important games), although many say that this is due to Topalidis, but again Topalidis is Otto's choice...

I want to give credit to Otto about the things he says: Read his statements in the media: we will always speak wisely, hiding everything from the opponent. In his 6 years in the NT, no-one has managed to fish out a single tactical secret from him. Look the way that he handled our defeat by Turkey. He was calm, made changes and focused attention in the following game. And he went on and was successful.

Otto is a man like all of us. He is not the best in the world. But he is quite good. He does mistakes and he will make mistakes. But I cannot deny or take away from him his desire to get it right and succeed. He wants that and he believes in it. He has a fighting spirit. He has the guts and he has the pedigree for success. He has shown it. Sometimes every man has a bad period in his life; a time when everything goes wrong. This will eventually happen to everyone. I see that Otto had his bad spell in the previous qualifying campaign in a tight group but is on the rising again, in-dependently of the result tomorrow (don't forget the players' responsibility too because they are playing the game, not Otto). I see a good knowledge of our opponent and good spirit among the team.

Otto has given the correct message: we must fight in every game and there are no easy games. Don't forget that the players have most of the responsibility for the qualifications/victories/defeats, etc as these are the ones who play.

I am optimistic about the future of our team: We all want to see Otto in good form and things going his way again. If not, many of us would like to see Nioplias or another appropriate coach in the Greek NT. So there are only good prospects for us;l my only reservation rests with those people that make the decisions (EPO/Gagatsis) who can schedule a high-profile international friendly in an in-appropriate football pitch and humiliate our country. These are the real enemies.

I hope that our players get into the coming game with a fighting spirit and give their 100%. The good result will be a direct consequence. We saw it in Portugal in the miraculous year 2004. Since then we believe that anything can happen and we have a reason to believe so: because we have achieved the impossible.

geok

I don't agree with everything you say in this post, but I have to say it's a great post. Very intelligent and shows a great understanding of football.

Thanks for the info on Mitsotakis too. :P

I'M CRUSHED I THOUGHT THE GAME WAS AT 3 PM EST - BUT IT IS AT 1 - NO CHANCE OF SEEING THIS ONE, NO JUMPTV EITHER FOR THE ON-DEMAND DELAYED BROADCAST

I GUESS I WILL WATCH THE REPLAY ON SETANTA THE NEXT DAY - I WIL L ATTEMPT TO NOT HEAR ABOUT THE SCORE FOR 24 HOURS - WISH ME LUCK

hey loup du u have "Mytv"? If u dont u should at least get the free trial...to download its greeknet. tv or something i dunno google greeknet. tv or something and it comes up...anyways u have to pay but u can get a free 3 day trial... the only reason im telling u this is because it records ever thing that was on every station it has ( ant1 ert net alpha et2 the big stations etc)... I am also in the same time difference as u and i cant watch a 1 oclock game live.... so ya try it out if u dont wanna wait 24 hours.... :tup:

hey loup du u have "Mytv"? If u dont u should at least get the free trial...to download its greeknet. tv or something i dunno google greeknet. tv or something and it comes up...anyways u have to pay but u can get a free 3 day trial... the only reason im telling u this is because it records ever thing that was on every station it has ( ant1 ert net alpha et2 the big stations etc)... I am also in the same time difference as u and i cant watch a 1 oclock game live.... so ya try it out if u dont wanna wait 24 hours.... :tup:
thanks file -what is the actual site?

thanks file -what is the actual site?
http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?...showtopic=10843

Read this topic it will help you a lot ;), it also includes instructions and explanations for (among others) Greeklive.tv, (the new name of Greeknet) !

thanks very much for the information and links to watch the game. Very much appreciated.

I am pleased to see a steady flow of good quality and supportive fans in this website.

You're welcome :) :tup: ...

btw maybe try out a way already before the match begins, so that you don't have to encounter any surprises during the game. (Something not working or other problems).

Also, to the people who have read that thread already, check it again soon, there will most probably be a new way added in the next few hours/days.

Archived