Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Norway - Greece

dark_horse

A little over 3 months from now Greece will be facing it's ultimate test where they travel to Oslo to face Norway. Greece is in a position that they need to get a good result and to avoid defeat anyway they can. As long as Otto Rehaggel can use the correct lineup for this important match, I think we're in good shape. But with Otto, you know how stubborn he can be. <_<

With a victory over Norway, Greece can take the next step towards qualifying for Euro 2008 finals.

P.S. - I hope the mods don't mind opening this topic so early, I'm just pumped up for this match! :box:

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Greece can get a result in Oslo but I cant see it happening, Greece dont play very well in the scandinavian countries.

Couldnt beat finland up there, couldnt beat denmark, greece tend to play very poorly when visiting countries like that.

However I am optimisic that Greece can get a result due to some good performances over the past year, if we sit back and hope to draw 0-0 then we will get pumped, we need to play some the same way we play every time we play otherwise there is no point in even flying to oslo to play.

If all of Greece's starting 11 is fit and healthy in september then I think we could get a draw at best. but then again I didnt think we could beat spain in spain and we did so prove me wrong greece

I am by nature a pessimist so take this with a grain of salt.

We will not do well as the players will just be getting back from their summer break and will not have their heads into it. Lord I wish I'm wrong but as you both said, we don't do well up there and I see this being no exception.

I am a bit pessimistic about this one, and not just because of the above mentioned negative tradition in scandinavian pitches. If I am not badly mistaken, Norway's league calendar has games throughout the northern hemisphere summer. This means that at the time of the game the Norway-based players will be in top form, while ours will probably still be thinking about beachside cafes and holidays in the sun...

This will be a difficult match! Since Norway's defeat to Bosnia, they won 2 of there last 3 matches (one was a draw to Turkey). They have a very flexiable schedule until November. All we can hope for is for Greece to be ready within 3 months. What happens is Greece should focus on Norway and not worry too much on Turkey and Bosnia. On Turkey, they have a game on hand, they will beat Moldova to increase there point total to 16 points, so they'll be just 2 points behind. If Greece only draw with Norway (foresay), and Turkey beats Hungary at home on September 12th, Greece will lose 1st place and drop to 2nd, still we're in good shape. A loss to Norway will not be too devestaing, but it will put Norway back in contention. So Turkey's next 3 qualifyers are very easy, Bosnia's a bit tricky, they have to face Hungary in Hungary, the Hungarians beat Bosnia in the last meeting 3-1, Bosnia is a different team this time around. I hope Bosnia lose points Hungary on September 8th. Bosina's schedule is quite tougher than Norway or Turkey.

Just to let you know Greece beat Norway without John Carew in there lineup, it will be interesting to see how they'll man mark him in the upcoming match. ;)

Does Greece have any friendlies during the summer?

Yes they do, on August 22nd at Thessaloniki against Spain. It's not offically confirmed by FIFA, but that's what Ziaka posted in his previous posts.

PAOK 4, I sense Greece won't win, but I can't rule out the possibility of a draw, like a good old fashion 0-0. :rolleyes:

It's all about tactics, if Otto thinks he can stroll out a 4-3-3 against quality teams, we will lose and lose big. We must play a defensive game and counter 4-4-2.

Our 4-3-3 is a joke we generate no offense our mid fielders make no runs...forward that is we pass back to the D REALLY WELL :huh: ...Patsa actually attacked it was nice to see.

We must find a leftback before these games, Spyropoulos,Lagos if healthy, move Torosidis up to RightMid, Patsa has a spot as well..Karagounis Katsouranis and Basinas must be pushed by the youngsters and if they cannot respond they must sit. Katsouranis has been MIA for 2 games,He must wake up his Defensive play is pivotal to get points on the road.

Replace: Anatolakis with Tavlaridis, Nikopolidis with Sifakis or Kotsolis,Papadopoulos with Lagos if healthy

I would like to see a friendly:

Chalkias

Giorkas..............Goumas/Tavalaridis..............Kyriakos............Spyropoulos/Lagos

..............................................Katsouranis...............................................

.....................Torosidis/Basinas..........................................Lagos/Torosidis.......

............................................Karagounis.........................................................

......................Salpigidis..................................................Gekas.........................

It's all about tactics, if Otto thinks he can stroll out a 4-3-3 against quality teams, we will lose and lose big. We must play a defensive game and counter 4-4-2.

Our 4-3-3 is a joke we generate no offense our mid fielders make no runs...forward that is we pass back to the D REALLY WELL :huh: ...Patsa actually attacked it was nice to see.

We must find a leftback before these games, Spyropoulos,Lagos if healthy, move Torosidis up to RightMid, Patsa has a spot as well..Karagounis Katsouranis and Basinas must be pushed by the youngsters and if they cannot respond they must sit. Katsouranis has been MIA for 2 games,He must wake up his Defensive play is pivotal to get points on the road.

Replace: Anatolakis with Tavlaridis, Nikopolidis with Sifakis or Kotsolis,Papadopoulos with Lagos if healthy

I would like to see a friendly:

Chalkias

Giorkas..............Goumas/Tavalaridis..............Kyriakos............Spyropoulos/Lagos

..............................................Katsouranis...............................................

.....................Torosidis/Basinas..........................................Lagos/Torosidis.......

............................................Karagounis.........................................................

......................Salpigidis..................................................Gekas.........................

woops Replace Basinas with Patsa,and split Katsouranis with Basinas and Karagounis.

Out with the old in with the new.

I agree with a 4-4-2 against Norway. The 4-3-3 is just too risky; especially playing against strong opposition away. Go with a solid 4-4-2 and hope for a draw. If we draw against Norway and Turkey and then win the rest of our games (plausible), then we qualify and retain first place.

We have an upcoming friendly against Spain in August so they should give Tavlaridis, Spyropoulos, and Eleftheropoulos a shot in that game. As for the Norway game;

-------------------------------------------Chalkias-------------------------------------------------

Seitaridis----------------------Dellas-----------------Kyriakos-------------------------Torosidis

Patsa-------------------------Basinas------------------Karagounis------------------Katsouranis

-----------------------------------Samaras-------------Gekas------------------------------------

Might not get too much offense, but at least it should be relatively safe. If Dellas is still injured, then Goumas is a decent replacement.

i sit here and laugh at the lineups you guys post, and with this mentality we are suppose to defend our title next year in Austria-Switzerland? Guys, lets get realistic. We were lucky to beat Moldova in Krith on Wednesday and with this line-up come September Norway will crush us. Otto once and for all does not know the meaning of attaking, creative football, and is keen on his Italian style Catannacio--score once and defend like hell. Well one thing is it might have worked four years ago but it wont this time my friends. We will get crushed and the funny part is that we have the talent to play good football, thing is Otto has no clue how to do it. Time for a coaching change you ask? I think so. Maybe not now but after next years horrific performace in Austria-Switzerland. I love my team boys but this type of football will get us nowhere.

i sit here and laugh at the lineups you guys post, and with this mentality we are suppose to defend our title next year in Austria-Switzerland? Guys, lets get realistic. We were lucky to beat Moldova in Krith on Wednesday and with this line-up come September Norway will crush us. Otto once and for all does not know the meaning of attaking, creative football, and is keen on his Italian style Catannacio--score once and defend like hell. Well one thing is it might have worked four years ago but it wont this time my friends. We will get crushed and the funny part is that we have the talent to play good football, thing is Otto has no clue how to do it. Time for a coaching change you ask? I think so. Maybe not now but after next years horrific performace in Austria-Switzerland. I love my team boys but this type of football will get us nowhere.

You are a man after my own heart.

I can't say it enough about the potential we have to play decent football but are being held back by the negative mindset of our current coach.

We may stumble through to the finals next year, but we will surely be humiliated when our line up includes Nikopolidis, anatolakis, Fyssas Charisteas etc

:gr:

Akritis you are right. And all we can do is sit back and laugh as Otto will not listen. After the game reporters were asking him why he took off Gekas and made his substitutions too late and he merely replied that people should not criticise him after the game.

We have almost made it and with one more win we surely have. I think that he should use the new players starting from the game with Norway. Charisteas needs to be dropped to the bench, the guy has got an amazing head but other than that he is useless. He did one good thing on Wednesday and that was the goal. Im not sure about Amanatidis, he has had a few chances now.

Here is my starting 11 and we must remember that Otto will not dream of calling up any more younger players.

Chalkias; Seitaridis, Kyriakos, Torosidis, Spyropoulos; (RM???), Katsouranis, Karagounis, (LM???); Salpiggidis, Gekas

Why hasnt Otto got any wingers?

Nikopolidis/Chalkias

Seitaridis--Kyriakos--Goumas--Torosidis

Ninis--Basinas--Katsouranis--Karagounis

Samaras--Gkekas

I dnt believe we should play that defensively,, i believe we r underestimating our offensive abilities, with two of the most exciting forwards in the game, and hopefulyy ninis will be ready to handle the pressure of big time games by the euro as he was with PAO

Yes they do, on August 22nd at Thessaloniki against Spain. It's not offically confirmed by FIFA, but that's what Ziaka posted in his previous posts.

PAOK 4, I sense Greece won't win, but I can't rule out the possibility of a draw, like a good old fashion 0-0. :rolleyes:

Weird FIFA does not confirm a thing but indeed even during the match with Moldova one of the commentators said something like "we'll see you again in August for the friendly with Spain".

My gut feeling is that Greece should play a 4-4-2 against Norway.

But I also believe they should play a 4-3-3 against Bosnia and Turkey.

Bosnia and Turkey are not the best defensive teams and even though they can score they also give up a number of goals.

Turkey has given up five goals in the last two games. I think if Greece plays a 4-4-2 they give the Turkish defense too much credit.

Overall I'd like to see Greece get the tie with Norway even if it's 0-0 and then beat Bosnia 2-0 or 3-1. That would make the game in Turkey of less importance from a Greek perspective.

After that Greece has Malta and Hungary and while they won't be Gimme type games Greece should prevail if they put in a solid effort. Winning the last two games with the scenario about would Guarantee Greece a spot in the tournament although it might not guarantee first place.

This makes perfect sense jarvis, Greece will be looking for 4 points and not worry too much about Turkey. You pretty much have to do your calculations to see why your post makes sense. I'll post the remaining matches for the contenders:

NORWAY

Sept. 8 - at Moldova

Sept. 12 - GREECE

Oct. 17 - at Bosnia

Nov. 17 - TURKEY

Nov. 21 - at Malta

TURKEY

Sept. 8 - at Malta

Sept. 12 - HUNGARY

Oct. 13 - at Moldova

Oct. 17 - GREECE

Nov. 17 - at Norway

Nov. 21 - BOSNIA

BOSNIA

Sept. 8 - at Hungary

Sept. 12 - MOLDOVA

Oct. 13 - at Greece

Oct. 17 - NORWAY

Nov. 21 - at Turkey

You guys are WAY too generous with the 4-4-2. With Norway, considering the group circumstances, I would stick to 4-5-1. I agree with everyone here that 4-3-3, with 3 strikers up front, is a mistake; we are not Brazil. Nevertheless, whether I am right or wrong is irrelevant; there is no doubt in my mind that Rehhagel will stick to 4-3-3.

The first thing we need, considering Nikopolidis is retiring, is a new keeper. Whenever Nikopolidis is up there, and the ball gets through our midfield, my heart stops! Chalkias has performed well, but he is not a solution either. I really wish Rehhagel would solve this problem.

A 4-5-1 is the right formation to use against a good attacking team like Norway. Greece will be playing for a draw by best, unless if they can get the fewest chances possible to score, then we shall go for a victory. Most importantly is we need the use of 5 players to cover midfield, the plays in midfield is very critical. The more plays Greece makes, the better there chance's are to control there own game. It's also a good idea to have a sweeper to occupy in the back. This is what Otto used during the Euro 2004 qualifyer against Spain in Zaragoza. Result : 1-0 away victory, first ever vs. Spain. :gr:

-------------------------Chalkias---------------------------

Seitaridis--------Goumas--------Kyrigakos---------Torosidis

Giannakopoulos---Karagounis---Katsouranis--Basinas---Patsazoglou

--------------------------Gekas-----------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

I've notice the lineup I've posted, most of the players are under 30 expect for 5 players (Giannakopoulos, Goumas, Basinas, Chalkias, Karagounis). A younger lineup would be nice to face off these qualifying contenders. :gr:

• 5 weeks later...

If I was manager I would I'd go for:

----------------------------------------Chalkias----------------------------------------------

-----------------------Tavlaridis---------Kyriakos------------Goumas---------------------

Seitaridis---------------------------------------------------------------------------Torosidis

-----------------------Patsa--------------Katsouranis-----------Karagounis---------------

--------------------------------Lybe----------------------Gekas-----------------------------

Somehow I really doubt that this will be the team though! :P

Archived