Phantis Forums

Eurobasket 2007

Will Greece repeat as European Champions?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Will Greece repeat as European Champions?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really didnt see greece as much as a threat to anyone ;) they dont shoot well enough to be top at a international level...

They also didnt have a good enough center to be a top international tournament... every team that beat greece had a world class center....

We need Koufas ASAP.. yiannakis is not an idiott... hell figure this out

And Btw WHere is Fotsis?

i really didnt see greece as much as a threat to anyone ;) they dont shoot well enough to be top at a international level...

They also didnt have a good enough center to be a top international tournament... every team that beat greece had a world class center....

And Btw WHere is Fotsis?

He got injured the game just before the tournament.

We need an inform SOFOKLIS dude! Remember the damage he did to the US Team last year...i think we had a better form at the acroplis tourney than we had in the Europeans.

Greece lost to one of the 2 better teams in Europe, and that's no big surprise. We're may not have 3 of our centers/power forwards in our lineup, but Greece could have played better, could have perform well under pressure. Giannakis knew he brought in a squad shorthanded of PF/CEN. Greece now has to qualify for the Olympics, I think they can do it. We missed Fotsis and Schortsianidis badly, and we need Koufos in there. Once those 3 play with us, we're going to be a much better team.

And Btw WHere is Fotsis?

Koufos is way too young, and has a college commitment. Plus he wouldnt have helped us very much...

Giannakis is not that great a coach.

He screwed us in Athens 2004, we won the Euro but we did not play one difficult match except for France who we beat in the last minute...and Slovenia who we lost to.

MundoBasket the team did great (until that disgrace of a final) and we see a good team occasionally but Giannakis is not the man full behind this, its a great generation and last summer they were all in their prime...

Giannakis was idiotic for putting in a lost Papaloukas, and never let Vassilopoulos loose, who is a fantastic, devastating player and when he played hed hit threes, make tapes, and get taken out and never put back in....Bouroussis he refused to let him play a minute when we needed a fresh center...and calling up Pelekanos are you joking???

I think it might be time for a change, or if we dont qualify for Beijing then absolultley he has to go... time for fresh start, and well have a reknewed team which we need....this generation is coming to an end...Papaloukas was one of the tournaments biggest disapointmetns and was an absolute joke.......Papadopoulos picked it up the last few games but before that he played like a little girl and came into the tournament way out of shape...

Fotsis, Kakiouzis, great players but a new generation is coming in.....

Vassilopoulos, Sxortsianitis, Bouroussis, Perperoglou, eveentually Koufos and Pappas and well have the current stars priming up like Diamantidis, Spanoulis, Dikoudis

its just time for a change...and also Giannakis is leaving anyways to be a politician too I think :LOL:

Fotsis was injured this tournament.

Xatzivrettas played his last game for the ethniki tonight. He was pretty abscent a lot of the time in this EuroBasket. However, the man should get our gratitud for all he's work in the Blue/White Jersey the last eight years :nw:

The team underplayed in the tournament which everyone though was between Spain and us to lose. Our lack of outside shooting was pathetic and cost us the games we lost and nearly cost us the games we barely won.

Spanoulis - except for his 3 vs Croatia - could not hit a shot, same for Papaloukas and my greatest disappointment, Diamantidis. Teams would play zone against us because they knew we could not shoot. That coupled with this stupid, and obvious, play of running to the basket and kicking it back outside was a joke. The players would first jump and then look for someone.

And why we could not dunk the damn ball, is simply beyond me. Dunk it, in their face with power instead of the laying it up for a block!!!

Damn this team pissed me off and Giannakis' laisse faire coaching - we are family! - is not what will make us champions again.

WHO WON??????????

FINAL SPAIN RUSSIA 22-11 12-20 34-31 15-15 10-14 59-60 - 59-60

THANK U RUSSIA....

Posted Image

HOW CAN U BE MAD AT THIS FACE.... TELL ME....

:nw: :tup: :nw: :gr:

Pittman, me skotwses re. This is too funny.

When I trash the Spanish players for looking like bums (and I stand by that, even though it is not b-ball related, you gotta look like champs and the malliades of Spain don't) I thought about Teo, and even with his honker of a nose, he looks better than the mutants on the Spain team.

Back to B-ball. I don't care too much about losing the bronze. Look at Spain, you think they're happy with silver? They've lost six (count 'em SIX) Eurobasket finals, still looking for their first continental title. When you're champs like Greece, nothing less than gold suffices.

I still think we'll make it to Beijing.

In response to one of the comments about not being likely to 'upset' the Americans twice, I will agree for the simple reason that from now on when we beat the USA, it will not be qualified as an upset. The USA is fair game from now on, anybody can beat them on any given day.

I won't give Argentina more credit than they deserve. I think Spain is still a powerhouse and will contend in Beijing, although I will have to make the following controversial statement: I think they are better without Gasol. Take away his size, and he is a very average player, slower than Shaq. He choked from the stripe when it mattered most, he gift-wrapped the ball so many times in the semi and final. Weak!

As we saw all former Yugoslav republics are solid, as are perennial giants Russia and Lithuania, again all owing mostly to size. But seriously guys, who would have thought that a black guy would be giving Russia their first European title since the Soviet breakup? Times they are a-changing!

It's so balanced now, so many teams have a shot at Olympic gold. I like Greece's chances to do damage and medal in any tourney for the next few years at least.

Drakos is true to himself being hard on our team. Paps was hampered by the early foul trouble that took away his usual aggressive play. At first I thought that we should have tried more threes late. But I realized Spain was defending really close on the perimeter, our only hope were drives in the lane and open assists.

At the end of the day, your veterans like Teo and Diamantidis will win you the game not youngsters like Vasilopoulos, as much heart as the kid may have. Zisis got a three, sure then took a seat. It's not like one trey makes a hot hand. Hot is what Papaloukas was in the 4th vs. Slovenia, 11 pts, including the ugliest trey that only somebody like him can produce, in the defender's face, releasing the ball on his way down, legs all akimbo. Reminded me a bit of Galis going up against the Russians in that most memorable final match in 1987 where he jumped up, a forest of Russian arms all around him, then just before touching the parquet, a finger roll type shot over everybody...and in.

Geia sas paidia...till next B-ball tourney, or rather Greek NT soccer match.

When I trash the Spanish players for looking like bums (and I stand by that, even though it is not b-ball related, you gotta look like champs and the malliades of Spain don't) I thought about Teo, and even with his honker of a nose, he looks better than the mutants on the Spain team.

gia su re nick the greek 69,

i liked yo coments too..... so un-athletical... :LOL:

to close the topic.... there are 2 FATSES in the gr nat timz....

:tup: KARAGOUNA (the bigest p*tana) :tup: and

:nw: PAPALUKA (the biggest maggas) :nw:

they have so many "other" talents.... :LOL: :tup: :nw: :whistle: :gr:

as for teo, he is a MOHIGAN.... with his double kotsida... (picture him with his face painted blue)....

serious now... please read bellow....

Posted Image

next time they come to greece, we should play the nat anthem of portugal....o something.... maybe a durkeyish song if they continuu to piss us off...

ps. as for the REAL skatofatses.... i would say the tall guys from spain (gazolina) and russia (kiriloskilo).... gia poles sfaliares... if only i could....

enoough of kalisteia... lets go back to eleni menegaki....

Greece went up one spot in the FIBA World Rankings

1. USA USA 832.2 0.0

2. Argentina ARG 726.0 0.0

3. Spain ESP 580.0 0.0

4. Serbia SRB 534.0 -24.0

5. Lithuania LTU 486.0 16.0

6. Greece GRE 429.0 12.0

7. Italy ITA 378.0 -40.0

8. France FRA 369.0 -4.0

9. Germany GER 284.0 2.0

9. Australia AUS 284.0 0.0

Archived