Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece - South Korea

Evergreen

What a tough match this will be.... I see nothing but another meaningless draw...

I would REALLY be surprised if we get he win here.... These guys can play and they are going to be ready to kick some ass..

On the other hadn we're looking worse by the day.. Otto needs to call up Castillo and give the team some "JUICE"

What do you al think????

At the moment we're dead, and don't seem to have that "spunk" in which we had during the EURO

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kala an hasoume kai apo aytous kalytera na ta paratisoume kai na to xanagirisoume episima sto mpasket an ohi sto mpaftek :ph34r:

Patsa still out?

More info re Vassilis Torosidis - is welcome - where does he fit?

Good to see Tsiolis again - a better mix is needed inout midfield which has become our weakness - but Kafes - I'm not a huge fan

Is there no young mid-field talent -what happened to Lagos ??????

well loup we do have some midfield talent what about karagounis and katsouranis and even basinas ?

In the last few years I think the cohesion of the mids has been our weakness

The D has been good

The forwards have done well with the chances they have had - but I think the mids have done a relatively weak job setting up the forwards

I think we have a lot of talent with the players you mentioned but I have yet to see them work very well with eachother

Is there no young mid-field talent -what happened to Lagos ??????

Lagos is still injured.

I believe that the younger players playing in Greece should be given a shot.

I'm talking about the following:

Tziolis (who's been selected)

Leontiou (PAO)

Ninis (PAO)

Illiadis (PAO)

Balafas (PAOK)

Kiriakidis (AEK)

Also other players like Avraam Papadopoulos (Aris) and Kapandais (AEK) should be considered in friendly matches.

We need a youthful ananeosi, this is obvious.

We are less than 24 hours before the game and I must say that I am disgusted! 250,000 Greeks living in London and another 5,000 Greek students in the UK compared to 50,000 Koreans in total. Greece, the European Champions, have been alocated 20% of the seats compared to 70% to the Koreans, they have practically sold out their tickets and not one of the sections we have been given is even classed as 'limited'. <_< So despite being lucky enough to have Greece play here we'll likely only have 1,000 fans (OUT OF A POPULATION OF 250,000!!!) Ntropi re gamoto! This is the last game before Turkey and the players need to see the support! They should be stirred, instead it'll be just an away game in front of ungrateful Greek fans <_<

We are less than 24 hours before the game and I must say that I am disgusted! 250,000 Greeks living in London and another 5,000 Greek students in the UK compared to 50,000 Koreans in total. Greece, the European Champions, have been alocated 20% of the seats compared to 70% to the Koreans, they have practically sold out their tickets and not one of the sections we have been given is even classed as 'limited'. <_< So despite being lucky enough to have Greece play here we'll likely only have 1,000 fans (OUT OF A POPULATION OF 250,000!!!) Ntropi re gamoto! This is the last game before Turkey and the players need to see the support! They should be stirred, instead it'll be just an away game in front of ungrateful Greek fans <_<

You make a good point.

It's apathy.

As long as the players never lose their enthusiasm.

As for the match, I reckon we're going to get humiliated (obviously I don't want this to happen). I can't see how Otto's aging and faded champions will be able to contain or even dominate a fast Korean side.

:gr:

You make a good point.

It's apathy.

As for the match, I reckon we're going to get humiliated (obviously I don't want this to happen). I can't see how Otto's aging and faded champions will be able to contain or even dominate a fast Korean side.

Very true

the Koreans have a very fast side and we have a very slow defense...i smell a disaster brewing

Hopefully we score early and try to control the pace of the game.

We are less than 24 hours before the game and I must say that I am disgusted! 250,000 Greeks living in London and another 5,000 Greek students in the UK

true!!!

one question though: arent many of the uk greeks from cyprus?? for some perverse reason most cypriot greeks from the diaspora dont feel particularly greek. just my observation. would you say its somewhat accurate??

to the game: i think its going to be boring, very boring. i dont think there is going to be a disaster though. i think we will be somewhat in control. the interesting question is whether we are going to score. and if so, who and how...

apart from that who cares for friendlies. i mean otto is probably not even trying out new players. i.e. torosidis played on sunday, its unlikely he will do great things on tuesday. tziolis will never start in a competitive match, so even if he plays against korea the turkey match will be a totally different game.

I can't speak for people in other countries, but in the US, kypreoi feel and act as greek as any other greeks. Half the people at Euro celebrations I went to were Greek Cypriots. As far as the ticket situation, its tough for people on a Tuesday night to go to a game that in all honesty doesn't mean anything. No matter how many Ellines are in the fans, it will be loud and the chants will be heard throughout the stadium.

As far as the game, honestly I'm not too excited by the game because you never really know what kind of game you are going to get from the Koreans. They will be an extremely organized, in many ways like us so I'm going to guess the game will be kind of boring. I'm just hoping Otto decides to try a few new things rather than just throw out the same aging lineup. I would like to see some Charistea though since he seems to be in decent form. I have never been a Gkekas fan and he always would suck for the Ethniki but he seems to be doing well in Germany so maybe we can try him out there for a half. Tziolis and Torosidis have to play some role in this match because right now they are the most logical new players that can make an impact.

Your move Otto.

You make a good point.

It's apathy.

File mou you should have more faith in the team. In all honesty we were unlucky not to qualify for the World Cup and in this campaign we're 3/3 scored 6 conceded 0. We played Korea last year in a friendly without a first team and when we really were going through bad faze, we drew 1-1 and were the better side. We are better than Korea and in a tournament game we'd beat them. This weekend was a big weekend for Greece though and many of the players are bound to be jaded but we'll do enough to win.

Also unless we get battered this is a no lose situation for us. Their style of play is similar to Turkey's, if we win its a huge confidence boost, if we lose Otto can observe the little problems that need ironing out before the Turkey game.

My prediction is that we'll win 2-1 or 2-0.

@OriginalAekara:

Our defence isnt slow, its just aging. Seitaridi is lightning quick! Fyssas can still shift and Kyriakos covers ground for a quick man. We'll be fine.

one question though: arent many of the uk greeks from cyprus?? for some perverse reason most cypriot greeks from the diaspora dont feel particularly greek. just my observation. would you say its somewhat accurate??

Well its a very small minority that dont consider themselves Greek but Cypriot, much like there is a small minority in Greece that do not consider Cypriots Greek. In fact if you ask the average Cypriot on the street where they're from they won't say 'Cypriot' or even 'Greek-Cypriot' they'll just say Greek. The issue however is one of identity, although most don't seperate between Greece and Cyprus there is a seperation between their own identity and that of Greeks. For example, I know many Greeks in England that support England. They consider themselves British and their Greek (language) is limited. Basically they have assimilated to the extent where they have lost their Hellenism. And for those that have come from Greece (i.e. students) they dont have the patriotic element that many of the diaspora elsewhere have. All the Greek guys at my uni want to hang out mainly with others from the Med (Spaniards, Italians, etc) and the Greek girls have an infatuation with Arabs, especially Iranians. If you're an Iranian and are looking for some action you're bound to find a Greek girl thats interested.

For those that do consider themselves Greek in every sense, it is as Akritis says 'apathy'. There are 2 PAO fans at my uni who are Greek and proud of it and are instead going to see Brazil vs Portugal at the Emirates Stadium tonight instead. I'm not going to discuss it any further though, as you may have noticed I dont give my opinion in such issues anymore (i.e. Ninis ethnicity on the PAO boards etc) because I always get accused of having AN AGENDA! <_< So I'll just bring the whole conversation back to football by saying that personally I cant understand it... These guys have never seen our 2004 'heroes' play and its the last game before the biggest group game for us but they'd rather see another game :blink: The mind boggles! :bangin:

What a joke what a joke....

I'm sick of tired of watching this team not be productive. Not really because we lost but the way we played once again.

This is a joke, I'm sorry to say but at this rate we're going to drop in the FIFA rankings worse than we've been in a LONG time.

Not only we're not creating quality chances but we're NOT even scoring. Our midfield is CRAP and can't run w/ the rest and our defense is like I'm watching a U-21 match were they are just clearing the ball at a drop of a dime.

Something needs to change and change soon. We have a tough match w/ Turkey and at this point we need to look into the future and make our team BETTER...

Archived