Phantis Forums

Other Uefa cup matches

HOLLYWOOD

Do you guys know what groups we'll match against? Or, we'll only face 3rd finishers from ANY group?

The next round will be a seeding with the 3 top teams of each group plus all third teams of the champions league.

This UEFA cup looks a bit better than last year. All British team are through and I hope Paris will make it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things that I should add to all of the above is that the winners and runners-up will give the second game at home in the next round. That's a good boost to the chances of advancing to the next round of 16. Also, teams from the same association cannot play against each other (our European meeting with AEK will have to wait :) ).

I was looking to see who we might be playing next and it is too early to tell. Much will depend in what position we finish. As was pointed out, if we finish first we will play against a team that finished second from another UEFA group. If we finish second, we will play against a team relegated from the CL groups.

Obviously, (agaist my own wishes to play the toughest teams) everyone would want to play a third place team from UEFA cup. Looking at the groups here is what I see:

Group A:

with Rangers-Partizan and Auxerre-Livorno games pending

Clubs Pld W D L GF GA Pts

Rangers 3 2 1 0 7 4 7

M. Haifa 4 2 1 1 5 4 7

Auxerre 3 1 1 1 7 6 4

Livorno 3 0 2 1 4 5 2

Partizan 3 0 1 2 2 6 1

Likely outcome: Rangers first, M. Haifa second, Auxere third

Group B:

with Tottenham-Dinamo Bucuresti and Leverkusen-Besiktas games pending:

Tottenham 3 3 0 0 6 1 9

Din Bucuresti 3 2 1 0 5 3 7

Be?ikta? 3 1 0 2 3 5 3

Club Brugge 4 0 2 2 4 7 2

Leverkusen 3 0 1 2 2 4 1

Likely outcome: Tottenham first, Din. Bucuresti second, Leverkusen thrid (unless Besiktas ties at Leverkusen)

Group C:

games left: Braga-Grasshoppers, Sevilla-AZ

AZ 3 2 1 0 10 4 7

Sevilla 3 2 1 0 6 0 7

Liberec 4 1 2 1 6 7 5

Braga 3 1 0 2 4 5 3

Grshpers 3 0 0 3 3 13 0

Likely outcome: who knows, I would thnk that Braga would beat Grasshoppers and finish third. As for winner, probably Sevilla if they beat AZ at home.

Group D:

Games left: Parma-Osasuna, Heereveen-Lens

Parma 3 3 0 0 6 3 9

Lens 3 1 1 1 5 4 4

Osasuna 3 1 1 1 4 4 4

OB 4 1 1 2 5 6 4

Hrenvn 3 0 1 2 1 4 1

Likely outcome: Parma first place. I am not going to even try the second or third on this one (but if you twist my arm I would say Heereveen beats Lens and finishes second, with Lens advancing as third after Parma beats Osasuna)

Group E:

Games left: Blackburn-Nancy, Feyenoord-Wisla

Nancy 3 2 1 0 7 3 7

Blckburn 3 2 1 0 5 1 7

Wis?a 3 1 0 2 5 5 3

Feyenord 3 0 2 1 1 4 2

Basel 4 0 2 2 4 9 2

Likely outcome: Blackburn first, Nancy second, Feyenoord third

Group F:

Games left: Espanyol-Austria, Zulte Wregem-Ajax

Espanyol 3 3 0 0 10 2 9

Z. Ware. 3 2 0 1 9 8 6

Ajax 3 1 1 1 3 2 4

Sparta 4 1 1 2 2 5 4

Austria 3 0 0 3 1 8 0

Likely outcome: Espanyol winners, Zulte Wregem second, Ajax third

Group G:

Games left: PSG-PAO, Hapoel-Mlada

Panathinaikos 3 2 1 0 3 0 7

H. Tel-Aviv 3 1 1 1 6 6 4

Rapid Bucur. 4 0 4 0 3 3 4

Mlad? Bolesl. 3 0 2 1 1 2 2

PSG 3 0 2 1 2 4 2

Likely outcome: Panathinakios first :tup:, Hapoel second, Rapid third.

Group H:

Games left: Palermo-Celta, Fenerbahce-Eintracht

Newcastle 4 3 1 0 4 1 10

Celta 3 1 1 1 3 3 4

Fenerbah?e 3 1 0 2 3 2 3

Palermo 3 1 0 2 2 5 3

Eintracht 3 0 2 1 2 3 2

Likely outcome: Newcastle (that was easy), Fenerbahce second, Palermo third.

---------------------

So, if we win our group, we might (stress on "might") be playing one of:

Auxerre, Leverkusen, Grasshoppers, Lens, Feyenoord, Ajax, Palermo

I would love for us to kick some Ajax behind, but German teams have been good customers of our team, so Leverkusen looks yummy B)

Of course I might be completely off in my predictions (very likely) but at least now I have a better overall picture and the games next Thursday are going to be a lot of fun.

PS. I know I am jumping the gun, but I can't wait another week.

As was pointed out, if we finish first we will play against a team that finished second from another UEFA group. If we finish second, we will play against a team relegated from the CL groups.[

only to correct u cyberfish, if we finish first we will playing a team that finished THIRD in another group of the uefa group stage.. not second.

sorry bro. i hate correcting u. ur one of the only ones in this mofo that makes sense. present company excluded of course.

Ok, we finished first (despite ourselves).

Pending tomorrow's games, here are the third teams that are likely opponents in the next round:

Feyenoord, Zulte Waregem, Fenerbahce

so far so good.... the only problem is us.... we cant perform like that....

we have to care more as players & coaches, in order to keep advancing in the UEFA

this is true.. lets hope that PAO can help the Greek cause & try to catch these countries

Yeah, Aek and Pao will need to get some points, but we are still in the game. Pao will have the holidays to re-group and maybe get some starters in the positions we are hurting. Dum spiro spero...

At halftime its:

Rangers 0-0Partizan

Auxerre 0-0 Livorno

Tottenham 2-0 Dinamo Bucuresti

Leverkusen 0-0 Beşiktaş

Braga 0-0 Grasshoppers

Sevilla 0-0 AZ

Parma 0-2 Osasuna

Heerenveen 0-0 Lens

So far if these scores stay the same it will look like PAO will play one of:

Feyenoord

Zulte Waregem

Fenerbahçe

Auxerre

Besiktas

Liberec

Lens

Some updates on the games all in the 2nd half:

Rangers 1-0 Partizan

Auxerre 0-1 Livorno

Tottenham 3-0 Dinamo Bucuresti

Leverkusen 2-1 Beşiktaş

Braga 1-0 Grasshoppers

Sevilla 1-1 AZ

Parma 0-3 Osasuna

Heerenveen 0-0 Lens

So far if these scores stay the same it will look like PAO will play one of:

Feyenoord

Zulte Waregem

Fenerbahçe

Livorno

Leverkusen

Braga

Lens

Interesting:

66' Auxere-Livorno 0-1. Livorno will advance if they win and Auxerre will watch from the couch.

79' Leverkusen-Besictas 1-0. Leverkusen just scored and if it stays Leverkusen willl be third, and Besiktas will visit IKEA.

69' Parma-Osasuna 0-2 and 68' Heerenveen-Lens 0-0. If they stay like this, Osasuna will claim second and Lens will fall to third.

Edit: I forgot to thank Steve: Thanks for the updates Steve.

Leverkusen-Besictas 1-0. Leverkusen just scored and if it stays Leverkusen willl be third, and Besiktas will visit IKEA.

Leverkusen scored from a penalty and it was controversial for two reasons.. The ref (is an Italian whore called Paparesta) pointed to the spot as he called Baki handled the ball. But it obviously came off the back of Baki and it was shown numerous times in the replay. Second, before Babic hit the penalty and Runje saved the kick a few Leverkusen players moved into the area (and the goalscorer Schnejder) and the ref who looks obvious for a mission out there!! :xxx:

All games done:

Rangers 1-0 Partizan

Auxerre 0-1 Livorno

Tottenham 3-1 Dinamo Bucuresti

Leverkusen 2-1 Beşiktaş

Braga 2-0 Grasshoppers

Sevilla 1-2 AZ

Parma 0-3 Osasuna

Heerenveen 1-0 Lens(in the 93rd minute Heerenveen scored and with that Lens ends up last place and OB ends up 3rd interesting)

So it will look like PAO will play one of:

Feyenoord

Zulte Waregem

Fenerbahçe

Livorno

Leverkusen

Braga

OB

Yeah, I don't see our team as capable of making history but we might be able to advance to the 16 with a little luck.

I am a little upset that our team management has made the superleague a priority at the expense of UEFA cup.

I hope they wake up and realize what a great opportunity this is now that we are in this position.

Archived