Phantis Forums

Artificial turf?

Irlandos

It's a sign of things to come...

I think that since the countries in which receive alot of rain, sleet , snow and what-other thing that mother nature can throw at it, UEFA is going to try this system.

Also it's propably going to go into affect to countries which cannot afford help to maintain their turf so this would be another alternative...

It's a step in the right direction of you ask me, it's just that UEFA or FIFA have to look inot this carefully because of injuries to players...

It's a sign of things to come...

I think that since the countries in which receive alot of rain, sleet , snow and what-other thing that mother nature can throw at it, UEFA is going to try this system.

Agree with that, if the technology is there it can be used to help teams located in areas with significantly unfair field conditions to progress. It could be used to help these countries during practice and possibly friendlies. However, I don't think it should be used in official games such as tournaments, because it would give an unfair disadvatage to the majority of countries that don't use it.

Home teams with poor weather conditions already have an advantage on their natural turf anyway, because they are use to playing in those poor conditions. It's mother nature, it has always been a part of the game. In most cases the weather of a particular region has always been a part of that specific region and its people, hence the natural aspect of home field advatage.

Purposely changing the field conditions such as adding artificial turf on the field is a different issue, because it raises the question of how much should man be allowed to manipulate the conditions of a game?

You may argue that the crowd manipulates the conditions of the game, and it is a product of man. But crowds have been a part of the game as long as the history of sports has existed, and is one of the main purposes of playing sports to begin with, to entertain crowds. Artificial turf is something being added to the the game after its long standing history of playing on natural turf.

I don't know, in my opinion there is something that just seems unatural about playing on fake grass, I've never liked seeing it being used in other sports.

Archived