Phantis Forums

CL TV rights, NT tv rights

I have a few questions, and hopefully someone can answer these.

With respect to tv rights for champion's league, ESPN has the rights and then some of the games will go to Setanta Closed Circuit. Nt game rights also are Setanta closed Circuit.

In North America, these are English broadcast rights.

Secondly, In Canada we have a TV station Telelatino(TLN), which is part Italian and part Spanish Language programming and recently RAI International was added.

Recently the France Italy Qualifier was shown on both TLN and RAi. On Rai it was in Italian and on TLN it was in English.

TLN also shows CL games in ITalian b/c in Canada TSN has the rights to English Commentary.

What is the problem(I'm sure its $$$) for these Greek Startions to purchase Greek Language rights.

THese Greek stations just cut corners to make more $$$ and not put on what we want to see. Then they tell you that they do not have rights.

If these stations wanted to pay$$$, they could get GreeK Language rights.

I remember back in '94, CFMT showed all of Greece's games in GREEK, even though the other channel had it in English.

What type of $$$ are they looking at.

It frustrates me that every ethnic tv channel bends over backwards to show these games for their viewers, and the Greek stations force us to go to these pubs.

Is it b/c 85% of Greeks have restaurants and they force us to go there.

I think you correctly pinpointed the problem: Money.

The CL Greek teams and the NT games are exclusively controlled by Setanta in the US and Canada. I think Setanta is making those games available through bars only because that's where they make the most money on those games. That's why they don't even put them on the Setanta residential channel.

I have had a discussion with somebody from Setanta about 5 years ago and asked them why they don't just put the Greek team games on a PPV channel on Dishnetwork for 20 bucks, so we don't have to drag ourselves to bars and sit in a smoke filled rooms. The person told me the major reason was that a lot of the Greek viewers, specially in Canada, get the Dishnetwork channels through hacked boxes illegally and that they would lose money on the deal since they would not be ordering the games.

As for the other point about Greek language rights to the games. The channels that would be able to do show those games (Antenna, ERT, Mega) apparently don't want to pay the money. I am sure Setanta is at least asking as much money for those rights as they make from the pubs. Don't know what the figure is, but it must be high enough to prevent the channels from obtaining the rights.

The person told me the major reason was that a lot of the Greek viewers, specially in Canada, get the Dishnetwork channels through hacked boxes illegally

Maybe if the channels available in the U.S. were LEGALLY available up here in Canada then people wouldn't have to resort to such methods ;) Until then people will use whatever method is available to them to view these channels (right now this is the only option), not that I am condoning pirating satelite signals. That's the Canadian broadcasting system for you- pure garbage! Sometimes I wonder if I am living in Communist China where they only watch what the government wants them to watch. Same here with the CRTC and their stupid approved list of channels. :tdown:

As for the rights issue, as others have said its all about $$. Greek broadcasters are too cheap to pay to acquire the rights, that and they probably don't give a crap about the omogenia. As for Canada, Odyssey TV does not spend money to create original programming, I don't see them spending money to get the rights for soccer matches. Although if they did then their channels would turn instantly to Gold, I am sure subscriber numbers would go way up if they had the rights to our Ethniki.

As for Canada, Odyssey TV does not spend money to create original programming, I don't see them spending money to get the rights for soccer matches. Although if they did then their channels would turn instantly to Gold, I am sure subscriber numbers would go way up if they had the rights to our Ethniki.

Odyssey keep taking ads out telling people that what they are watching is pirated tv and Oddysey is the only legal Greek Tv station in Canada.

How about using some money to create some unique shows for Canada and the omogenia. Not the garbage they put on. If i gave my 4 sons(oldest being 6) each a camcorder, they would come up with better ideas and shots.

They need to realize why people choose Dish over Odyssey. THeir technology sucks, it seems as though they record with some old vhs tapes and rebrodcast stuff.

I always use TLN as an example, but I watch some of their shows, eg the fanatics.

3 guys and the host talking every sunday and recapping serie a from the "fanatics " point of view.

Anyways rebroadcasting Antenna and throwing in the bad news from Canada is not good enough.

Edw kai twpa which is 30 mins each week is better than OTN

Archived