Phantis Forums

Stoltidis considered by Otto

Ziaka

It appears that Otto is seriously considering calling up Ieriklis Stoltidis for the next NT games. Long overdue move by Otto if you ask me. The reason for this is probably the fact that Zagorakis is retiring after the game with Norway.

Calling him and actually let him play are 2 different things... At the midfield position we're ok as a NT. It's up to Otto to get some "new blood" inot this squad becasue in a lot of these games I don't see the passion or the fire to do well...

Maybe 1 or 2 or even 3 players have that and that's about it...

Non-the-less I'm not complaining I just hope he gets the call to actually play

i disagree we are not ok in midfield!!! but i believe in defensive midfield we are good with basinas and katsouranis.

so besides the fact that stoltidis is 31 and not as good as he was 2 years ago when we all wanted him in the nt, i believe he shouldnt start in def midfield given our other options, who are better!

this move may mean katsouranis will play central defender because of dellas injury and the lack of another high class defender. given tavlaridis is m.i.a for life!

i disagree we are not ok in midfield!!! but i believe in defensive midfield we are good with basinas and katsouranis.

so besides the fact that stoltidis is 31 and not as good as he was 2 years ago when we all wanted him in the nt, i believe he shouldnt start in def midfield given our other options, who are better!

this move may mean katsouranis will play central defender because of dellas injury and the lack of another high class defender. given tavlaridis is m.i.a for life!

I agree

The mids have been the weak spot in the last few games - they need to the the men up front better

A healthy Stelios will help

@ethnikistis:

difficult one... i am unsure about how good tavlaridis is. in the french league he is doing good though. given our other options, i believe tavlaridis should be on the squad though.

given that any player should have been tested in friendliy games before throwing him into cold water of crucial qualification games, something otto didnt really do. who else do we have, now that dellas is out for the crucil norway and bosnia games:

katsouranis- a defensive mid, who can play very good as central defender BUT this is not his natural position and at times he makes very costly mistakes here i.e. vs russia, vs albania, vs denmark...

antzas- more the dellas type than a man marker. but as of late totally out of form.

goumas, anatolakis- not really. are they better than tavlaridis???? i doubt it besides they have gotten old.

kiriakos- is set as central defender.

kapsis- probably is over, just hasnt announced his retirement.

then there are the young guns: torosidis, papadopoulos but they need games at their feet before playing crucial games.

so i believe tavlaridis deserves a place in the squad. whether he should start over katsouranis or anzas remaains to be seen.

@ethnikistis:

difficult one... i am unsure about how good tavlaridis is. in the french league he is doing good though. given our other options, i believe tavlaridis should be on the squad though.

given that any player should have been tested in friendliy games before throwing him into cold water of crucial qualification games, something otto didnt really do. who else do we have, now that dellas is out for the crucil norway and bosnia games:

katsouranis- a defensive mid, who can play very good as central defender BUT this is not his natural position and at times he makes very costly mistakes here i.e. vs russia, vs albania, vs denmark...

antzas- more the dellas type than a man marker. but as of late totally out of form.

goumas, anatolakis- not really. are they better than tavlaridis???? i doubt it besides they have gotten old.

kiriakos- is set as central defender.

kapsis- probably is over, just hasnt announced his retirement.

then there are the young guns: torosidis, papadopoulos but they need games at their feet before playing crucial games.

so i believe tavlaridis deserves a place in the squad. whether he should start over katsouranis or anzas remaains to be seen.

I understand you're argument and you are right... why he hasnt really given a chance is beyond me. But to call him up now for the Norway game considering he hasnt really played maybe costly. I'm not against him being the squad, but for the time being I'm against him being in the 1st team. I would play Katsouranis there, second choice Goumas. Goumas has always been reliable for Greece and will have an understanding with Kyriakos from their PAO days.

kiriakos and antzas should play, but i think that voulis will not be called by otto, so katsouranis can play ecxellent at this posotion, at right giourkas( torosidis should be in the second player at this position) left fissas, mid: basinas and stoltidis should play but i don't know if he will be called, karagounis and stelios and center for salpi and samaras

why he hasnt really given a chance is beyond me. But to call him up now for the Norway game considering he hasnt really played maybe costly.

I would play Katsouranis there, second choice Goumas. Goumas has always been reliable for Greece and will have an understanding with Kyriakos from their PAO days.

well the sad thing is we had more than two years to find some new solutions and otto didnt really find a single one except the return of kiriakos and maybe lympe. the time we wasted was and is criminal. i mean its not the first time dellas is injured.

i agree its very risky to get tavlaridis now and put him in the first team but you could get him on the squad. i mean he cant be worse than anatolakis. or is he?? actually i dont see goumas being called in the lineup. he was out the last few times, didnt do much for pao and even when 100% in play seldom started for the ethniki. i am not judging him, i just believe the way otto thinks and made his selections in the past, probably he prefers anatolakis over goumas at the moment. giving goumas a cold start now in the ethniki would also be risky. no matter how reliable he was in the past.

what really gives me shiver, is if kiriakos actually gets inured now. we wont have one decent defender..given defenders were our strength, this is devastating!!!

as for katsouranis, i think he is wasted as a central defender. he can play the position but its a mere band aid solution. it may work but its not his position and this showed numerous times in the past and cost us.

stoltidis is past his prime and to introduce him now is actually somewhat funny as we all agree. is he better than katsouranis or basinas?? actually i dont think so. so i am very intersted to see whether playing him as def mid probably instead of katsouranis will make our midfield better or worse. it could work though. so lets hope the best here. if he indeed he is called upon which is not sure and plays.

the biggest joke of all is how rehagel doesnt want zagorakis to retire. according to otto in any case he should play against norway and possibly bosnia. whats more important though the norway game or zagos farewell?? i mean we have player here who called it quits and in all honesty doesnt even have a safe starting position for paok given his form now and is forced to play at nt level.

Let's not get too negative about Stoltidis, he can bring us some much needed "beef" up in the middle of the pitch. He can have some good games if he can find his form. Physically he looks to be in good shape. Who cares if he's 31 years old? :hypocrite:

Now in 12 days Greece plays Norway, I have a good feeling this might be one of the few matches Greece will play to "perfection". I mean you can't expect Greece to perform poorly every single game for crying out loud. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that Stoltidis does not want to play for Greece, I read an article in Greek from Contra.gr stating that, "he is not in any mood to play for the national team at this present time". :huh: He wants to stay put and play club football for Olympiakos. :(

Archived