Phantis Forums

UEFA Coefficient standings

Ziaka

Here are the latest standings for Greece in the UEFA Cup country coefficients. Thngs look dismal for Greece if our teams don't start picking up some points.

2005 rankings - apply to European season 2006-07

Greece is in 8th place and it looks like we will not lose it as Holland in 7th place have a good lead. We are also ahed of Belgium who are in 9th place. If things stay like this in 2006/07 season we will have the same representation of Greek teams as toda. Two teams in CL (one dict in groups stage) and the league runner up in CL qualifying round 3. Four teams in UEFA Cup. One through Greek Cup and the 3rd, 4th and 5th league finishers in the current Greek league.

2006 rankings - apply to European season 2007-08

Greece is still in 8th place, and reaching 7th place (currently held by Holland) is almost impossible as they are too far ahead of us. Also Belgium in 9th place is getting closer, and if their teams can have good results in Europe, they have a chance of taking over 8th place. If we do manage to hold on to the 8th place, we will have the same representation as we currently have. See above for the number of teams we will be able to field.

2007 rankings - apply to European season 2008-09

Greece is in 13th place, and we are 3 points behind Russia who hold the 8th place. If things stay as they are in the 2008-09 season we will field two teams in CL, but they will have to go through the qualifying rounds. League winner in QR3, and league runner up in QR2. as for UEFA Cup we will have 2 teams. One through the Greek Cup, and the 3rd place league finishers. They will have to start the competition in QR2

2008 rankings - apply to European season 2009-10

We are in 17th place, with 8 points behind Germany who are in 8th place. If things stay as they are, we will have one team in CL and they will have to start in the QR2. In UEFA Cup we will have 3 teams. One through Greek Cup and 3rd and 4th place league finishers. They will have to start the competition in QR2.

You can follow Greece's progress through the links in this forum:

UEFA Country Coefficients for next 5 years.

Funny - I was just thiniking somebody should open a discussion about this topic - truely alarming - we must ask ourselves why this is.

Two terrible years in a row.

For years other Greek teams were benefitting greatly from PAO's success in Europe - and now since they havve fallen into a funk nobody has stepped it up - look at what has happened in UEFA Cup the last 2 years.

Olympiakos gained some valuable points 2 yrs ago - however overall are a real disapointment in Europe

Why?

Maybe previous rankings were a fluke - and we are simply falling back to where we should be.

Maybe it was the success of the National team that hurt us - Zagorakis, Fyssas and others leaving to play abroad

Maybe bad scouting of foreign players

I don't know - but one thing is for sure an easy way to increase team revenues is to have more fans attened the games - and this will only happen if the violence and m*****es are stopped .

I was actually looking up the coeffiecients the other day and I'm saddend to say that unless Panathinaikos wins and has a few games more to play that Greece might drop to 13th place. You see 5 years ago Greece got 11. something points. This year they have less then 3. The lack of points Greece has gathered the last few years coupled with the strong play from other nations (Russia, Chech and Roumania) is really going to hurt us.

As I said, hopefully Panatinaikos can win a few more games to give us some more points.

Go here to see how things are shaping up for the upcoming years:

UEFA coefficients

For the next season we seem to be secure in 8th place, but we are in real danger of losing the 8th place for the European season 2007-08 and thus losing some representation in UEFA Cup. Basically Russia is in good position to take over 8th place. They will have several teams left in European competitions, and if PAO does not manage to get to UEFA Cup we will have none. I think Russia's teams need 5 wins to go past Greece (assuming noe of our teams continue in this season's competitions). That's why it would be great if PAO can beat Werder, Olympiakos Real, and PAOK Rennais in order to minimize Russia's chances to move past Greece.

Archived