Phantis Forums

Zagorakis wants to retire

Ziaka

In the recent days, Theo Zagorakis has expressed his desire to retire from the national team. Supposedly he has talked to Rehhagel and Gagatsis concerning this issue, but he did not make a final decision yet. Otto and Gagatsis are trying to persuade him to stay on.

Here is a related story from Sportime:

http://www.sportime.gr/xst/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16565&Itemid=1'>"

I think that this is a good move if Zagorakis does this

Another thing that he can do is that he can still be active and play but not as often. What I mean is that he can be in the 22 man squad but I believe that his leadership skills and soccer skills can be an assett to a youngster coming onto the team.

Either way Zagorakis is one fo the best NT player...

we have all kinda expected this after the failure of making it to the world cup

i would hope he would play in one more friendly so we can all pubicly honor our great Captain

he is just trying to prolong is club soccer career

Zagorakis walk up with your head held high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it appears that he will be staying on the NT for now. After a meeting with Otto Zagorakis agreed to stay on as long as Rehhagel wants him on the team.

If and when Zagorakis retires, I would like to see EPO arrange a NT game honoring him against a strong opponent, and with the game played at Toumba Stadium.

i think he should take on a new role in the team, being that he should only be used late in the game as a defensive mid if we're winning and trying to protect our lead

No way, he is still a big figure for us on the pitch. During our World Cup qualifiers he was one of the only few consistent players(giannakopoulos, and maybe Karagounis, Fyssas being the others). By far Greece's most valuable player, 90% of our play filters through him. His role our NT is like Gerrards on Liverpool, you just can't lose a player like that and that's why Rehhagle doesn't want to leave.

I think he'd rather leave on top, than when withering away. Like Ziaka said, he should have game in honour of him. But if he keeps up this form he'll be starting for our NT for as long as he wants.

Guest Protathlitis7

He knows what hes doing. and he knows its best for the ethniki

hes 33 and will be 36 for euro 2008. whats the point in staying on?

he doesnt have to prove s%$#!. he one of our greatest. nothing but complete and utter respect to this man

people like him and Dellas, Giannakopoulos etc are what makes my fukn heart warm when I think of the Ethniki

No way, he is still a big figure for us on the pitch. During our World Cup qualifiers he was one of the only few consistent players(giannakopoulos, and maybe Karagounis, Fyssas being the others). By far Greece's most valuable player, 90% of our play filters through him. His role our NT is like Gerrards on Liverpool, you just can't lose a player like that and that's why Rehhagle doesn't want to leave.

I think he'd rather leave on top, than when withering away. Like Ziaka said, he should have game in honour of him. But if he keeps up this form he'll be starting for our NT for as long as he wants.

in the last 3 qualifiers vs. kaz, denmark and georgia he did nothing, he was a non factor in those games

not as good as the earlier qualifiers and he even played better in the confed cup than he did in those last 3 games, he needs a new role

Zagorakis is not playing his best, but he's not making any mistakes, he has done what he has always done more or less. Passing, tackling and acting like our captain. I'm not saying Zagorakis stood out from the qualifiers or that he's been a strong presence latley, but he has kept up what I at the very least expect from him.

My concern with the NT is why lybe doesn't play attacking mid. Because that is his best position, as a striker he limits his full potential.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of Zagorakis, but I also have to say that he should have retired after the WC qualifying games from the NT. It's obvious his age has caught up with him. Seeing him in few PAOK games he has been struggling. Yes his leadership qualities help the team, but physically he can't play the full game. On top of that his lifestyle does not help things.

• 1 month later...

Zagorakis made it clear after the game with Korea that he will retire from the national team after the game with Australia on May 25. This is a result of negative press he received recently from some Greek media. He wanted to retire after the WC qualifying campaign, but his mind was changed by Rehhagel and Gagatsis.

Zagorakis made it clear after the game with Korea that he will retire from the national team after the game with Australia on May 25. This is a result of negative press he received recently from some Greek media...

What is their problem with our captain? :angry:

Archived