Phantis Forums

Cliftonville - Linfied

I experienced my first Belfast derby at the weekend when Cliftonville hosted league leaders Linfield at the brilliantly named "Solitude" ground. The match had all the ingredients neccessary for an interesting day out: 1 Republican team, 1 Loyalist team, unwelcome police presence outside ground, disgraceful challenges, on field punch ups, 1 red card and finally....... 2 goals in a 1-1 draw. This earned the home side a lap of honour, sparking more chaotic scenes as the teams eventually left the field in front of a crowd of about 2,500 - 3000 fans.

Interestingly, after the game the home fans were kept in the stadium for 20 minutes to allow the 500 visitors from across the city to make their escape in safety. The home fans then turned their attention to the dozen or so police armoured vehicles. After several minutes stand off, with a few bricks and bottles thrown at the vans, the police turned and left, leaving me with a trouble free walk back to the city. Sound familiar?

I smiled when I saw the Cliftonville shirts and scarfs. They had RED shamrocks on them!!

Interestingly, after the game the home fans were kept in the stadium for 20 minutes to allow the 500 visitors from across the city to make their escape in safety.

That's progress for you! :tup:

For the longest time that would not have been possible as Linfield's supporters were banned from travelling to the Solitude.

Archived