Phantis Forums

Alpha Sat- Any News?

Hi,

Anyone have any new news regarding the possibilty of Dishnet adding Alpha Sat to their line-up? Is this channel any good?- those on the board from Australia may be able to shed some light on this. I believe Alpha is available there through Tarbs and some channel called Greek-Australian TV.

Odyssey TV here in Canada had some programming from Alpha years ago, I really enjoyed Zoulga and Kitrinos Typos. Now they dumped Alpha in favour of Antenna, so I dumped Oydssey.

Anyone with any info about this service and its availability in N.America?

Thanks.

Alpha Sat was supposed to join the Greek langauge package on Dishnetwork this past summer, but things seem to be on hold right now.

Alpha Sat is available free of charge in North America as long as you can receive the Galaxy 10R satellite. It is on that satellite thanks to company TARBS who wanted to introduce a satellite platform in the US. However, it appears that they changed thair plans and are now making deals with Dishnetwork for some of the channels they control. They had a deal with Dishnetwork to place Alpha Sat on the Dishnetwork platform, but I don't know the reason why this has been delayed.

Alpha Sat porgramming is mostly the same programming that is shown in Greece on Alpha TV, so if you go to their website you can see what shows they are running these days.

Hey Ziaka,

Thanks for the response!

So if I understand what you are saying, Dishnet has already come to an agreement with Alpha, so they may be on Dish sometime soon? I have noticed that they have yet to add the 100 or so international channels they talked about in the summer. So far they have added a few Korean channels. I believe that these channels will be on a new satellite that they recently launched, perhaps they are still testing these channels including Alpha?! I think this new satellite was not launched on time, which may have pushed things back. Hopefully they will add Alpha before the end of the year.

Thanks.

I hope so too. All I know is that TARBS and Dishnetwork were very close to a deal for Alpha. They even had selected ch. 601 for Alpha on Dishnetwork, and they were supposed to be on in August. What happened since I don't know. I hope it is only a delay and not a breakdown in negotiations between the two companies.

I hope they put Alpha on the same satellite as the other Greek channels (61.5 Degrees), otherwise we will need another satellite dish on our roof. That's all assuming that Dishnetwork will eventually add Alpha to their package.

From what I know, the International channels may be moved to 121 (location of the new satellite). I know from lyngsat.com that they are currently available at both 61.5 and 121. Will they leave them like this or move all international channels (including any new ones added) to the new satellite at 121, I don't know.

As for the channel alignment, according to the line-up I found online, 601 is currently occupied by RAI from Italy. Maybe you were referring to ch. 604, which makes sense because the Greek channels are on 602, 603 and 605. Not sure why they skipped 604.

Just wondering, does Dishnet have to come to an agreement with Tarbs or Alpha??

According to someone who posted a message on the dbstalk boards, Dish is currently testing 60 or so new international channels. Here's hoping Alpha is one of them.

Yes, the international channels will move to 121, but they will probably also stay on 61.5 and/or 148. We will find out what happens when the 121 satellite is put online. There are many international channels allready uploaded on 121 satellite, including Antenna, ERT-Sat and Mega Cosmos. Alpha is not one of the channels being tested right now, which points to the fact that the deal between Dish and TARBS broke down.

Alpha was going to be on 601 and RAI would be moving to a different channel, but that was according to the deal being worked out between Dishnetwork and TARBS. Apparently that deal is currently dead. Dishnetwork would have to come to an agreement with TARBS concerning Alpha.

Hey Ziaka,

Just curious, where do you get your info about Alpha/Dishnet? (Some anonymous source B)) Is there any website that I could look at to find out which channels are been tested and may be added later?? Do you know if they plan on adding any Geman channels?

Well I only wanted Alpha to watch Zougla, so I guess its not much of a loss. Maybe things will change again later on.

Thanks for all the info, you can close this thread now if you want. My question has been answered pretty much- No Alpha on Dish-- at least for now!

To answer your question, the information about Dish negotiations with TARBS I got from someone who is involved with satellite TV industry. However that person does not know what the current situation is. As you pointed out in your post "no Alpha on Dish at least for now".

I also hope they add Alpha to Dish. I think sooner or later it will happen. as for German channels, I don't see Dish adding any channels anytime soon. I think some German channels are available on Globecast in North America.

The best site to check for channels being tested and uploaded is without a doubt Lyngsat. Here is the link for the Dish 121 satellite, which shows which channels are being tested right now.

http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish9.shtml

Archived