Phantis Forums

Ethniki Line-up

thrylos

If there is a surprise selection by you, give the reason: system 4-3-1-2 (assuming no injuries).

-----------------------------------Nikopolidis

--------Sietaridis----------------Dellas--------------Fyssas

-----------------------------------Kapsis

Giannakopoulos---------------Stoltidis----------------Karagounis

----------------------------Lyberopoulos(Tsartas)

-----------------------Haristeas----------Vryzas

Stoltidis is a key that Ellas needs. Have Zagorakis and Basina come in provide leadership when needed later in the game. It is time that Otto used a clssic dekari (closest thing Ellas has is Lyberopoulos). Creates more offense; less predictable; fresh blood. I would like to put in Papadopoulos or someone else, but Bryzas and Haristeas are a good tandem

PS Can anyone tell me how to post a message and keep all these spaces without the lines in between?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is a surprise selection by you, give the reason: system 4-3-1-2 (assuming no injuries).

Stoltidis is a key that Ellas needs. Have Zagorakis and Basina come in provide leadership when needed later in the game. It is time that Otto used a clssic dekari (closest thing Ellas has is Lyberopoulos). Creates more offense; less predictable; fresh blood. I would like to put in Papadopoulos or someone else, but Bryzas and Haristeas are a good tandem

PS Can anyone tell me how to post a message and keep all these spaces without the lines in between?

looks good but stoltidis cant command a huge role on the team.......if not Zagorakis then definitly Katsouranis is the man to do so he has the experience the energy and more than enough skill...he is our future captain for sure...

TSARTAS ????

Are you serious???

This guy and about 3-4 others need to call it quits and help out the youth National Team.

this my lineup from the kazahkstan thread, it's 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 whatever you want to call it.

------------------Nikopolidis

Kapsis------------kats-----------soto/goumas

giourkas-----zagorakis----------fyssas

---------kara------------stelios

-----charisteas---------vryzas

do you honestly think dellas is going to play? he has not played a competitive match in several months and you can't just throw him into a wcq game just like that and he has no club at the moment. same reason i didn't i didn't include basinas. kats will play libero + 2 man markers and zagorakis as the anchor in midfield w/ 2 wingbacks. charisteas scored 2 goals last time against these so this might be his game. i like this lineup game :rolleyes:

AEK66, I agree with you about Karagounis. If only a player with the skills like Georgatos was on the National team. You can then slot Karagounis if need to behind the strikers (Lyberopoulos spot) or in the middle of the park (he runs a lot)

I think Georgatos was just homesick and wanted to go back to Greece re paidia. After all, in his first stint at Inter he was voted best foreign player in Serie A in his first season. I am sure he was match fit, because I remember him playing some amazing games in Serie A and Coppa Italia. And yes I would put him on the Ethniki. We need a player of his quality, but thats up to him and Otto to figure out. Stoltidi is a good choice for our midfield, and he can shoot the ball on goal at least, but who can we replace Zagoraki, Basina, Katsourani. Otto has proven to be stubborn in his selection, and I don't know even if he has considered Stoltidi?

NICHOPOLIDIS

CAPSIS DELLAS SEITARIDIS

KATSURANIS

GIANNOKOPOULOS ZAGARAKIS KARAGOUNIS

LYBEROPOULOS

CHARISTEAS

OUR STRONGEST SIDE AT THE MOMENT!

I think Georgatos was just homesick and wanted to go back to Greece re paidia. After all, in his first stint at Inter he was voted best foreign player in Serie A in his first season. I am sure he was match fit, because I remember him playing some amazing games in Serie A and Coppa Italia. And yes I would put him on the Ethniki. We need a player of his quality, but thats up to him and Otto to figure out. Stoltidi is a good choice for our midfield, and he can shoot the ball on goal at least, but who can we replace Zagoraki, Basina, Katsourani. Otto has proven to be stubborn in his selection, and I don't know even if he has considered Stoltidi?

I think that If Otto and Georgatos put their differences behind it can work. Georgetos insulted Otto at the beggining if I remember correctly.

blind otto keeps wasting stelios on the left side, where stelios can't cross and stelios is always his wrong foot to tee up long shots. either otto is blind and stubborn, or there is no decent greek left-footed midfielder or wing-back. i don't buy that, but otto insists. this inbalance is one of the main reasons why greece hasn't scored for 6 matches.

as far as lymberopoulos. i have a feeling many posters aren't that old and don't remember when usually dissapointing lymbe was always a solid pick for a dissapointing greece 1999-2002. the national team is having problems scoring, let alone creating chances, so it seems many people look at that greek league stats and see lymbe scoring/assisting on goals for aek. ahhh...problem sloved. i don't quite think so.

i agree that stelios is completely wasted by otto.

as for lymperopoulos we cant judgehis past achievements or lack thereoff. all i see is a great player who led aek last season. his character hjas greatly improved from his pao days and he fights and works for the team.

in the past the ethniki had many dry games but to me at least many times played more attractive fottball. you have to remember when judging the ethniki before otto that aek players boycotted the team. that means players like nikolaidis, who easily is the best greekplayer of the last decade, young tsiartas, zagorakis, didnt play. given the size of greece, of course we couldn t cope with that.

thats the biggest achievement of otto. to reconcile with the aek players. everything else came from there. the first game nikolaidis returned turned out to be the impressive 2-2 in manchester. until today probably the best greek performance with otto as coach apart from the game with france.

so yes lymperopoulos did occassionally disappoint in the ethniki but do you think charisteas hasn t. don t forget charisteas was substituted in the crucial spain away game after just 20. min. vryzas hasn t played so well in the confederations cup. kapsis has made three mistakes that led to goals against spain in euro, poland and now in belgium. my point is don t judge lympe too quick. he has earned a chance. given what charisteas and vryzas pulled off in front as of late, it can t get worse. can it?

@thrylos: stubborn otto has never in his life put differences behind. he wont start now. so forget georgatos.

in this point i have to say otto is right, though. georgatos left the ethniki when times were hard and then when euro glory was on the horizon he offered to return.

nikopolidis

seitaridis-----------dellas-------------kapsis------------fyssas/vyntra

basina

giannakopoulos--------zagorakis-----------------karagounis/georgato

lymberopoulos

charistea/papadopoulos

if dellas can play like old self, if not kyriako/gouma

if georgato stops being a prick and actually plays with passion and wears the shirt with pride

i cant see how all these people still have the charistea-vryza combo going on after how much they have sucked especially vryza

over 6 games/550 minutes no goals, freakin ridiculous

nikopolidis

seitaridis-----------dellas-------------kapsis------------fyssas/vyntra

--------------------------------basina

giannakopoulos--------zagorakis-----------------karagounis/georgato

------------------- lymberopoulos

------------------------------------charistea/papadopoulos

i forgot the dashes

NIKOPOLIDIS

SEITARIDIS--------DELLAS--------------KAPSIS---------------FYSSAS

LAKIS--------------KATSOURANIS---------ZAGORAKIS-----------KARAGOUNIS

STELIOS

PAPADOPOULOS

If Dellas cant GO then Goumas and if he is not fit then Katsouranis MUST SWEEP not Basinas! In the absence of Dellas Insert Lybe or Salpigidis up Front.

Greece cannot wait in this GAME they must show up early and Land the early blow ala TURK vs Kaz and keep pouring it on. We must PRESS!

Thats why I chose Lakis and Paps some players with SPEED and Pace. Lakis was solid vs Belgium ,and he has the speed to recover if Giourkas overlaps him with RUNS down the side. Giourkas must be aggresive he is the only player who has games under hs belt, sometimes I think he does not know how good he is and plays at the level of those around him,OTTO must turn him loose so he can take his game to a dominant level.

If Dellas is healthy( I doubt he will be) ,then the time has come for Katsouranis to grab the torch from Zagorakis, and become the new leader of this group. He had a break out year with AEK last year.

STRIKERS must score that is why Vryzas and Chari are on my bench, Jesus give Machlas a chance he can't do worst ;)

Why was Tavlaridis left off the roster? Oh it was all that playing time in the Confed CUP :blink:

Would love to see a young guy get a chance"LAGOS"even on the bench.

Its FUN to read and post the lineups but it is in OTTO's hands, he seems to be stuborn and keeps giving Chari Vryz Basinas 2nd 3rd 4th...chances

2) ummm, i don't think georgatos won any 1999-2000 serie a foreigner of the year trophy. georgatos might have won the 1999-2000 greek foreign player of the year..but, i would have to look that up.

he definitely didn t. all he did win was foreign player of the week maybe even foreign player of the month awards in the first half of his inter spell.

lymbe is too slow and weak physically to play as a '10', i've seen him enough to know that. if lymbe is to be considered for the national team, maybe as a forward. i rate lymbe higher than a gekas of pao. this gekas player looks terrible every time i watch a pao match when pao plays in euro competition.

as far as the aek players' boycott of the national team, i don't think the boycott was anything to make lymbe come out smelling like a rose.

if you have talent, you have talent. karagounis and stelios had talent during the aek players' boycott, and they still have talent. otto sees that. the boycott didn't make karagouni or stelios look worse.

you make a good point about other players making mistakes or going through bad patches; my point is, kapsis, charisteas and vryzas have won a euro cup, lymbe hasn't won anything.

i am not saying lympe is the best greek player out there and that he will solve all our problem. not at all. you are right he is slow and he may not be the ideal 10 player. i agree with you on that.

all i am saying is that lympe with aek has made good games and led the team alongside katsouranis in an astonishing season, were aek finished third out of the blue. he fights, runs, defends when he wears the aek jersey. he scored vital goals and he opend up the game for his teammates giving great passes to the likes of cesar, soares. lympe had a lot of assists in addition to many chances he inititated. given charisteas who can only score by head and apart from that does little for our offensive game, i rate lympe as a good addition to our squad. we lack a certain creativity in the midfield and offensive minded players. stelios is that sort of player. we agree on that but he is wasted by otto oftentimes. still stelios is our best offensive player. karagounis to me was never an playmaker let alone an offensive player. he can score, he can dribble but overall hes a fighter.in my opinion hes not the player who creates a lot of chances. dont get me wrong i see karagounis as one of the best players we ever had.

what we lack are players who can create something. tsiartas is over, as sad as it may seem. we dont have any substitute for him, so lympe may well be the best option given that.

as for gekas and also papadopoulos, salpigidis: they have the quickness that charisteas and vryzas definitely lack. we need more quickness and agility up front. given that charisteas and vryzas are both slow and heavy players who need a lot of time and space to move.

if lympe contributes in the future no one cares what he did in the past and if he doesnt he at least provides some variety to well known akward vryzas/ cahristeas combo that was born out of nikolaidis injury. i think its good to add fresh blood from time to time and not let the players be too comfortable of their position. although of course otto missed a good oportunity to experiment during the confederations cup. this i really hold against him...

NIKOPOLIDIS

SEITARIDIS--------DELLAS--------------KAPSIS---------------FYSSAS

LAKIS--------------KATSOURANIS---------ZAGORAKIS-----------KARAGOUNIS

STELIOS

PAPADOPOULOS

Oh I hope not

lol

not a lakis fan myself

My lineup if Kapsis - Goumas and Dellas are out which is entirely possible

Nikopolidis

Setaridis - Kyrgiakos - Giorkas

Basinas-

Kastsouranis - Zagorakis - Stelios - Karagounis

Vryzas- Charisteas

I don't see Otto screwing too much withthe lineup

I would like to see this:

Nikoploidis

Setaridis- Kyrgiakos - Giorkas

Basinas

Stelios - Katsouranis - Zagorakis

Lybe - Paps - Charisteas

The point is - I would like to see one of Karagounis - Christeas - Stelios off the bench to add some punch

AND

I'll say this again we will NEVER NEVER NEVER score on corners or free kicks if Stelios or Karagounis takes them - on this 11 it MUST be Basinas

ZITO :gr:

Nikopolidis

Setaridis - Kyrgiakos - Giorkas

Basinas-

Kastsouranis - Zagorakis - Stelios - Karagounis

Vryzas- Charisteas

I don't see Otto screwing too much withthe lineup

I would like to see this:

Nikoploidis

Setaridis- Kyrgiakos - Giorkas

Basinas

Stelios - Katsouranis - Zagorakis

Lybe - Paps - Charisteas

:LOL: :LOL:

dude none of your lineups would be allowed

"The point is - I would like to see one of Karagounis - Christeas - Stelios off the bench to add some punch" Loup

1st we need PUNCH on the field before we bring it off the bench! Stelios has swung some nice corners for Bolton this season.

Basinas cannot be in this lineup he has no legs to go a full 90!

Nikopolidis

Seitaridis

Kapsis

Fysas

Katsouranis "sweeper"

Stelios

Zagorakis

Kafes (pleez dont tell me Basinas )

Karagounis

Salpigidis

Papadopouls

Charisteas off the bench for 2nd half PUNCH :whistle:

Northwesterner- I meant a D of Fyssas - Kyrgiakos and Giorkas

sorry buddy

OFI - ok - not bad - Charisteas came off the bench many times for the ethniki in qualification for EURO 2004 - but I don't think we will see both Vryzas and Charisteas on the pine to start - especially since Charisteas just scored for Ajax

When was the last time Pas and Charisteas played significant minutes together - I want to see it !!!!!

I don't like Kafes - and Salpigidis?

I see that Lakis did not get called up (good) neither did Tsartas (I wish he was in playing shape)

And what the hell is up with Amantidis - he played 88 minutes for his sqaud this weekend- I thought he was Otto's goldenboy

Against Kaz the first time we had:

Nikopolidis

Giorkas - Dellas - Kapsis (Katsouranis) - Fyssas

Zagorakis (Kafes) - Tsartas (Georgadis) - Karagounis - Basinas

Vryzas - Charisteas

Charisteas scored 2 and Kats got one

Four backs is likely the way Otto will go - so as not to get caught with a cheap one - I think the squad is good enough to score from a 4-4-2

Guest Mugkas

Nikopolidis

Seitaridis Kyrgiakos Kapsis Fyssas

Basinas

Katsouranis Zagorakis

Giannakopoulis Karagounis

Charisteas

this should be the starting eleven with dellas in there for kyrgiakos when he is fit. and paps, gekas and amanitidis fighting for second choice striker, vryzas is getting old and he cant score goals like the other 3 can anymore and kyrgiakos and tavlaridis, since they are younger and good players, should be pushing the other 2 central defenders for starting positions and when venetidis is fit it should give fyssas competition. thats what id like to see

MALLORCA, Aug 30 (SW) – Mallorca have moved quickly to beat the Wednesday transfer deadline by signing Greek international Lambros Choutos.

The Inter Milan player was facing a season confined to the sidelines with the forwards the Nerazzurri currently possess and was therefore allowed to leave on the club on loan arrangement.

Mallorca boss Hector Cuper has been unable to recruit another forward thus far this summer, with failed moves for Angelos Charisteas and Bernardo Corradi.

The 25-year-old Choutos can expect to feature regularly for the Spanish side, however Inter have not included any option of the move becoming permanent at the end of the season.

MALLORCA, Aug 30 (SW) – Mallorca have moved quickly to beat the Wednesday transfer deadline by signing Greek international Lambros Choutos.

The Inter Milan player was facing a season confined to the sidelines with the forwards the Nerazzurri currently possess and was therefore allowed to leave on the club on loan arrangement.

Mallorca boss Hector Cuper has been unable to recruit another forward thus far this summer, with failed moves for Angelos Charisteas and Bernardo Corradi.

The 25-year-old Choutos can expect to feature regularly for the Spanish side, however Inter have not included any option of the move becoming permanent at the end of the season.

Dude,

Are you suggesting that Otto should call up Choutos???

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Archived