Phantis Forums

Emre signed with Newcastle

Just got this from UEFA.com

This is a good signing for the clube but I really think that they are going to struggle this year...

Newcastle tie up Emre transfer

Thursday, 14 July 2005

Newcastle United FC have successfully concluded their long pursuit of Emre Belözoglu after the Turkish international completed a reported €6m move from FC Internazionale Milano.

Galatasaray link

The 24-year-old left-sided midfield player has signed a five-year deal with the UEFA Intertoto Cup contenders today after passing a medical on Tuesday. He has been a target of Newcastle manager Graeme Souness, who was in charge of Galatasaray SK when Emre was playing in the club's youth team, since the beginning of the summer.

Fans praised

After his arrival in England, Emre said: "I will give my very best for Newcastle and try to bring success to the club. St James' Park is a fantastic stadium and the fans make a wonderful atmosphere inside the ground. I'm looking forward to playing there many times."

Souness satisfication

Souness said: "We've worked hard to bring him here and hopefully he can be a real addition to the squad. He will bring a bit of grit and determination and he's a real flair player as well. He will do well and he's keen to play English football, he thinks it will suit him."

Archived