Phantis Forums

Super League in the plans

Ziaka

Apparently there are plans to have a "CLOSED" A' Ethniki in the future. This idea is floated by AEK, PAO, Xanthi and apnionios. This would mean that the A' Division would consist of 12 or 14 team and there would not be relegations or promotions.

Teams in Northern Greece held a meeting yesterday in Thessaloniki in order to organize opposition to this move.

Here are related stories from metrosport:

http://www.metrosport.gr/modules.php?name=FirstPageNews&func=viewsimple&varid=36700'>

The teams behind this plan are reported to be Panathinaikos, AEK, Xanthi, Panionios, Larisa, Atromitos, and possibly others.

The other news is that the league would consist of 10 teams. So far the team that oppose this are PAOK, Iraklis, Aris, and some B' Division teams.

Another meeting was held today by the teams wishing to create a "closed" Premier League. Representatives of the fllowing teams were involved: Panathinaikos, AEK, Panionios, Xanthi, Ionikos, OFI, Larisa, Kalamaria and Atromitos.

a closed leauge?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!!! WAT THE ######!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: if that is the case i am not going to see even PANATHINAIKOS play! ###### THAT! THATS ANTI-FOOTBALL! Greek football is on the rise and now we want to slam on the brakes!!!

NO! ###### super league and as for Socratis Kokkalis i would never think of him as the saviour of Greek Football, and if he manages to hold this super-league crap ill change my opinion of him!

This is the WORST idea i have EVER heard. Why the hell does the league have to change? Thats ridiculous it was great before! Look at the players that are coming into this country, Rivaldo, Gonzalez, Cirillo, Conceicao, Biscan, Zagorakis and maybe Momo Kallon. THE WINNING OF THE EURO 2004...

Set teams = Guaranteed spots= NO INCENTIVE TO PLAY. Relegation is inspiration to fight all season long. Sure eventually u hit the point towards the end where u just cant but for the teams at the bottom in order to make the league competitive You realize that B league teams in all around europe arent that far off from their A league teams u see all the time 2nd division side can beat 1st division sides in the cup- its cuz theres competitiveness in the country and it builds the sport. Contracted Football is for f#$% north america where sports systems are a joke. RELEGATION/PROMOTION system is the ONLY system. Part of the reasons why i like the league is because teams rise and fade and seeing new teams like Larisa or Ergotelis packing 25.000 in the stands....even little kerkyra i want to see if they get there chance.

and if PAO finishes last in A ethniki they should play B like any other team!

also we are forgetting that promotion to A ethniki is what buids stars...Players like Papas and Illiadis (who are huge prospects for Greece) would have never really caught as much attention being locked in the B katigoria, and would have never really gotten the same development and experience to help them kickstart their careers which are going to be pretty good ones. Iliadis is what 19 and already PAOK signed him for the first teaM!? thats huge. Pappas is gonna surprise OSFP and take a starting spot....there is plenty of talent down in the B katigoria that is waiting to come out like in many leagues and if we lock it down we all lose. if this happens it will be a black day for Greek football. People say hooliganism is tearing down the game that is nothing compared to abolishing the relegation and promotion system.

Super League is Anti-Greek and Anti-Football and i hope the idea crashes and burns to the deepes level of hell. :tdown:

i still cant beleive they will do this.... it is a super-failure waiting to strike greek soccer like an al qaeda attack.....

the only the majority of the teams that were invited want it is because there guaranteed 1st division.....i dont know why PAO,AEK, PAOK are supporting this garbage...basically this reduces incentive for lower teams to spend money and get better players from abroad that help the league (ex: Signori, Lawal, Emerson, Machlas from Ajax) because now they have nothing to worry about! Teams like Xalkidona arent gonna get the title...and the european spots? we wont have them for too long without talent coming up from below....

also attendance will take a nosedive as well......why would people pay to see a nothing game towards the end of the season between the lower sides.......they wont. If it was between your lower side that was fighting to save its ass and live another year in the top than it makes the game pretty exciting and it does draw more fans than it usually would.

People think that limiting the teams would force people to activly support another team that is local and plays A ethniki will force them to 'convert' and be regular fans of those teams......that is garbage its not gonna happen and wont make up for the loss in fans you have by games being uneventful and pointless.

This whole stupid plan is about money for the smaller teams and trying to FORCE a balance which will depreciate the level of quality.....yes balance is good but it should only come naturally.

England, Spain, Italy have reasonable Balance where all sides hit big money for games and attendances....

you know for a european champion country, the football association sure isn't acting like it. this is even a worse idea then expanding to 18 teams and it won't make it more competitive, there will just be more 'nothing' games layed. but for now it's just an idea...that stinks :tdown:

this idea of a closed league

takes away the most important part of thing in sports

and thats competition

it lowers the level of competition

it lowers the level of talent as well

i doubt this idea will get through

look at England

during the last month of the season u basically know who the champion is but there is still a reason to watch soccer

b/c the teams in the lower table are fighting to stave off relegation

if the FA wants to improve the league

why don't they start by refurbishing some of these so called stadia

stop the ###### violence so clubs actually can make some money to bring in some foreign players

and look to improve the talent level

hell any league could be used as a comparison.........this is a total disgrace and i dont know why clubs like PAO, AEK, would support it eithere......once they shut the league down and lock it salary caps would not be surprising.....then we really are killing greek football if there werent salary caps then the crap teams like Ionikos would finish last 2 every year and we wouldnt allow a better team to take there place or even have a shot...

does anyone remember when Rehagel won the 2 liga in germany then the next year took a newly promoted team to win the bundesliga? what does that say about promotion system!? also Chievo Verona------these guys in the late 80's were in serie D! the year they got promoted they scared the crap out of Italy by leading the Serie A for most of the year...

. Things work naturally. Dont put limits. We dont need communism it doesnt work in society and it doesnt work in football.

I dont understand why we could take such a vicious swing at the country's football......this really does take the fun out of the sport. And if it does go through i will maybe stlill go to PAO games but only for european match i wont pay for to see the "super sellout we dont care about the good of football league" and ill boycott its sponsors.

Save Greek Football, KILL SUPER LIGA :tdown:

The move to create this Super or Premier League is nothng more than a tool to control the income from the Stoixima game, since Greek teams will be allowed to be part of the game. Right now teams from A' Ethniki have to share the revenue from the betting games with B and C Ethniki teams. I believe they want to elimintaethis sharing arrangement and keep everything for themselves.

This idea is even more retarted than expanding the league to 18 teams. If all they are concerned about is the revenue, they should focus on that only and try to re-negotitate a better deal for themselves (that in itself can be debated on, I wouldn't want to start or say anything...yet).

The thing that's retarted about this is that in probably any league in the world any of the bottom 5-10 teams in a "A" divison can probably be beaten by the top 5-10 teams of a "B" divison. This is part of the reason why MLS sucks in the USA (though DC United kicks ass :D :nw: ), as especially with how many times all the teams play each other, and the playoff system (8/12 teams make the playoffs). Especially with the league below MLS (that isin't affialiated with MLS) there are some teams that could probably beat the crap teams in MLS (Chivas USA, Colorado Rapids, NY/NY Metrostars, Real Salt Lake). Hell one year a team (Rochester Raging Rhinos) beat 2 or 3 MLS teams and won the US Open Cup (the "cup" competition in the USA). Aris almost won the cup this year and now they're in the B Ethkini! And didn't Larissa (then B Ethniki) get to the semi-finals? I hope this proves my point. Anyway, I pretty agree with everyone else in here on this issue. Your thoughts...???

I think you're right. Locals would no longer have any incentive to go and watch their local D',C', or B' Ethniki team because there would be no hope of ever seeing them progress.

What a retarded idea. Guys, let's hope this dies a quick death.

• 2 months later...

Olympiakara2005, I merged your post with an existing one that allredy discussed the same subject.

Here is a Sportime inteview by EPAE Vice President Viktoras Mitropoulos concerning the Super league plans that are being pushed by Skoda Xanthi owner Christos Panopoulos:

http://www.sportime.gr/xst/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14240&Itemid=118'>"

didnt know where to put this topic but anyway..........the superleague discussed in earlier forums seems to be gaining steam...............

Super League

Greece's top soccer division could be re-structured as a Super League of 16 clubs to boost club revenues and modernise the way the competition is run.

The proposal, which will be discussed by the league's governing body next month, comes from current league leaders Xanthi who took out full-page adverts in newspapers on Wednesday to explain their plan.

The idea has the support of all major Greek clubs including champions Olympiakos and includes, among other suggestions, bonuses for clubs staying in the top flight for more than three years as well as bonuses for newly-promoted clubs.

It also sets quality standards for stadiums for clubs in the Super League and bonuses for good referees.

Greece's professional soccer leagues are currently run by a union of club owners (EPAE) rather than the FA, which is responsible only for the national team, the amateur divisions and the Greek Cup.

didnt know where to put this topic but anyway..........the superleague discussed in earlier forums seems to be gaining steam...............

Super League

Greece's top soccer division could be re-structured as a Super League of 16 clubs to boost club revenues and modernise the way the competition is run.

The proposal, which will be discussed by the league's governing body next month, comes from current league leaders Xanthi who took out full-page adverts in newspapers on Wednesday to explain their plan.

The idea has the support of all major Greek clubs including champions Olympiakos and includes, among other suggestions, bonuses for clubs staying in the top flight for more than three years as well as bonuses for newly-promoted clubs.

It also sets quality standards for stadiums for clubs in the Super League and bonuses for good referees.

Greece's professional soccer leagues are currently run by a union of club owners (EPAE) rather than the FA, which is responsible only for the national team, the amateur divisions and the Greek Cup.

intersting that Xanthi's President is leading the proposals.

isn't the league suppose to expand to 18 games next season?

i know the article mentions about refurbishing alot of venues but for this to work i feell taht Greece needs to get Euro 2012 that would give them the necessary funding to improve the infrastructures

i think we can all agree taht the Greek league can't be run by the owners that has to change

hopefully this will work out but i will believe it when i see it

Mitropoulos i think the vice president of EPAE had some interesting comments on this move to super league, Basically he is saying there is no money there for the teams to divi up. The TV contracts are tied up to several years in the future, there is no attendance, the teams have no money, no real income and no stadiums to play in, and almost all are in heavy debt. The only thing that remains is the stihima that they'll get something from.

It is sort of ridiculous. They want to go from a goat trading business model to the harvard business school model.

Its kind of hard to believe that bardinogianis and kokkalis would be willing to give up control so easily not to mention all the other little middle power brokers that run soccer and everything else in Greece.

Pardon my cynicism and correct me if I am wrong but last time I was in greece you couldn't even buy a decent piece of meat if you didn't personally know the butcher as a friend.

last time I was in greece you couldn't even buy a decent piece of meat if you didn't personally know the butcher as a friend.

Maybe in the 70s, at a small isolated village...

Not my experience at all.

I have never had that problem, ...at Vasilopoulos... :LOL:

PEACE

Archived