Phantis Forums

Goumenos speaks

Ziaka

Ziaka, can you go over the highlights? Here's what I got out of it:

PAOK lost 3.5 million euro (this year?), and no one is helping him.

Goumenos said that PAOK's debt is bad, but getting better. When he took over PAOK was in debt 25.5 million Euro, and now its down to 15 million. He feels he is blamed for the debt even though he inherited most of it.

He encouraged more fans to attend the games, thats the only way the situation will get markedly better. Something to the equivalent in how AEK increased attendence this year.

PAOK has changed their focus to a younger team, with the average age of the players dropping from 29 to 23.5.

PAOK can not compete with Oly, and PAO, because of all the money PAO and Oly get from being in Champions League year after year. But with the help of the fans (which he states 70% of northern Greece supports PAOK) anything is possible.

Did I miss anything else important? What are your thoughts on all this?

Ziaka, can you go over the highlights? Here's what I got out of it:

PAOK lost 3.5 million euro (this year?), and no one is helping him.

Goumenos said that PAOK's debt is bad, but getting better. When he took over PAOK was in debt 25.5 million Euro, and now its down to 15 million. He feels he is blamed for the debt even though he inherited most of it.

He encouraged more fans to attend the games, thats the only way the situation will get markedly better. Something to the equivalent in how AEK increased attendence this year.

PAOK has changed their focus to a younger team, with the average age of the players dropping from 29 to 23.5.

PAOK can not compete with Oly, and PAO, because of all the money PAO and Oly get from being in Champions League year after year. But with the help of the fans (which he states 70% of northern Greece supports PAOK) anything is possible.

Did I miss anything else important? What are your thoughts on all this?

Nikolaos....

The one main thing that I like about your main topics that you point out is the YOUTH...

This is GREAT to what PAOK has done. I'm a HUGE fan of that and I love it when I hear about things like this (especially in Greek Soccer)

Having youth in a squad is a win / win situation for PAOK that's going to help them in many ways.... If some of these yougnsters do well, there's moving within Greece to a "bigger club" or even moving on outside of Greece and playing in Europe..... With those 2 points also come $$$$ in which PAOK can dig themselves out of the hole.....

Bottom Line ....... AWESOME TO SEE THEY HAVE YOUTH! :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Nikolaos, you got most of it. Here is a recap for everyone else:

1) When we first acquired PAOK we did not know if we would get back anything in return. I am responsible for this year's failure, during which we lost close to 3.5 million Euro (CL money). I feel like I fight alone for PAOK and that nobody is helping out.

2) We are lookeing ahead to next season, for which we have been planning for month and a half now. We made mistakes in the past, and as a result we have more experience now. We are looking forward. Everyone is saying that we owe money, but we owed money when we first acquired the team as well.

3) PAOK can't be compared to PAO or Olympiakos. For years those team took part in CL with incomes close to 150 million Euro through the years. AEK on the other hand through Arthro 44 wiped out a lot of its debt. PAOK is capable of catching up to those teams with the help of the fans. However AEK has allready sold close to 12,000 season tickets, while we have only sold 54 so far :o . PAOK can become big, only if the PAOK fans help out.

4) When we acquired the team, the debt was 24.5 million Euro. Today the debt is 15 million Euro. Most of that debt has been set to be paid in installmets with different parties thanks to the Orfanos law. We are paying 90,000 Euro per month with these installments. Right now we owe 4.5 million Euro to past and current players, EPO and EPAE. For the upcoming season our expenses are expected to be somewhere around 11 million Euro. Right now we can't project our income for next season, but we are working hard to cover that number.

5) As for Shikabala, when FIFA made its decision, we received all the paperwork from this case as well and we discovered that Zamalek people made false statements as far as Shikabala's contract was concerned. With this in mind we have send the issue back to FIFA and we are expecting that FIFA will come back and revises the payment that we need to pay. We expect to pay a lot less than the initial 180,000 Euro. The player belongs to PAOK, and there is no way we can lose him. The worst case scenario is that we will end up paying the 180,000 Euro. As for Feutchine, he will be paid and will remain at PAOK.

6) We will continue to improve PAOK. We have changed out philosophy. We have allready lowered the average palyers age from 29 to 23.5 years. We have acquire two starters for the team, Akiel and Charalambous. We have made an offer for Iliadis and are waiting. I can say that we will make two additional acquisitions. two players that will be starters, but they are not free as of yet. We need to wait and keep a low profile as not to create problems.

7) The problem with Toumba bans has to stop. It creates big problems for the team. This also chases away any prospective byuers from the team.

8) We want to cooperate with teams from Northern Greece. We want those teams to be close to us. We'll be giving those team our players on loan basis. One of those teams is Panserraikos.

9) The ticket pric es will be expensive. We will no longer allow freeloaders at Toumba. I will be standing at the gates to make sure nobody gets in without a ticket. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

10) We had problems with organized fans from the beggining of the last season due to season ticket prices and lack of player transfers. Today we have better ties with the organized clubs and we hope to have good cooperation with them.

11) One of the most important issues for PAOK is to build a new stadium. if PAOK builds their own stadium they will not need any new financing. We went ahead and got erverything ready for this. I believe that in mid-August the Ammateur board will conduct a General Assembly, during which we hope that they will approve to give the use of the Toumba land for 49 years to the company that will construct the new stadium. To banks and construction companies that is. The cost of building a new stadium is expected to be 80 million Euro and should be built in 24 months.

12) I belive that PAE PAOK did nothing wrong as far as the Louka case is concerned. The coach of the team is expected to know everything about the players. The past coaching team did not want us to be involved in respect of coaching the team. When we hired Sakis Laios, the ex-coach told him "we don't want you to meddle in coaching of this team". I made a mistake. in this case. Things have changed now. At PAOk we have 6 people discussing and makeing decissions. Every day we spend hours discussing PAOK. On top of that we are friends. karageorgiou, Kostikos, sarafis, Michaiulidis, Papvramidis and me. Organisation wise things are running much better now.

Thanks for the translation Ziaka!

I didn't know that Goumenos was personally planning on being PAOK's game day security force.... "I will be standing at the gates to make sure nobody gets in without a ticket. "

Unbelievable!!! :LOL: :LOL:

54 season tickets sold so far.... insane.... I don't if I should laugh or cry...

What the hell is up with Goumenos still wanting a new stadium? It's ass backwards if you ask me.

Evalagoal, I agree having mainly youth in PAOK's current situation is their best bet. That's really all we can afford right now.

Ziaka, do you see PAOK's fans coming back anytime soon? It's not looking very good right now.

i just think that its about time goumenos made clear what is going on at PAOK. it's good that he decided to talk about all the problems. i think that because of him telling the PAOK fans whats going on more tickets will be bought, but really 54 tickets is a load of sh.. I always thought that PAOK had the most passionate fans in greece but 1 things for sure if i lived in Thessaloniki i would have a season tiket in my hand right now

good news that feutince stayed, but can i ask someting

whats happening with udeze? has he left is he leaving is he under contract?

Udese has not left the team. Actually he signed a contract extension earlier this year. However it is rumored that Portsmoputh are intersted in him, and he might be sold by Goumenos to them or any other team that is willing to pay for the transfer.

oh ok thats heaps good, i read on the net last year that udeze said that he would only be with PAOK for another year and that he only signed an extension last year because of all the fans

what price do you think we'd get for him? not that i want him to go

Udese has a contract with PAOK until June 2007. Portsmouth allegedly offered PAOK 1.5 million Euro for udese, but PAOK refused that offer saying that they price the player close to 3 million Euro. I think though that for 2 million Goumenos will sell him.

well really for goumenos it's either ...

A) Keep Udeze and he will help u get into cl or uefa cup wich might eventually pay off 2mill

B) Sell him for 2mill then have a defender in that position no where near as good(in my opinion) and risk not getting money from uefa for entering competitions

Archived