Phantis Forums

Second place... and in Germany!

trifilli

Although not impossible, it will be hard to get 1st place.

With a win vs Ukr we will be 2 points behind.

GR will need to beat DK and Ukr tie at home vs Tur :tup:

2nd place is very likely but not locked yet.

Greece's playoff chances are decent.

Some of the likely 2nd are:

Slovakia, Russia

Israel, France, Ireland

Norway, Slovenia, Belarus

Serbia, Spain, Lithuania

Croatia, Sweden.

France and Spain are the tough ones.

Spain has better chances of getting 1st

France has better chances of getting ... 3rd!

In the Euro playoffs the teams were put into strong and weak groups?

Officially that was not he case, but the draw sure did indicate that...

Hopefully if second, we will get a favorable opponent.

None of the teams are easy, but none impossible either.

PEACE

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the even Greece finishes second in the group, the playoff format works as follows: The top two second place teams get an automatic bid to Germany; the remaining six will enter a draw and participate in a home-and-away playoff for the right to go to the world cup. the top two second place teams will be determined by points obtained in the group against teams 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6. In other words, in groups 1 through 3 (Greece is in Group 2), where there are 7 teams, points obtained against team 7 will not count for purposes of determining the top two second place teams. Those points, though, will of course count for determining final positions within the group. This being said, following are the current point totals among the second place teams in groups 1 through 8; points have been deducted for the teams in groups 1 through 3 that have picked up points against the 7th place team, in order to give an accurate account of where things currently stand:

Group 1

Netherlands (16 pts) - 1st place

Czech Republic (12 pts)

Group 2

Greece (12 pts)

Group 3

Slovakia (11 pts) - tied for 2nd w/ Russia

Russia (11 pts)

Group 4

Switzerland (12 pts) - 1st place

Israel (11 pts)

Ireland (10 pts)

France (10 pts)

Group 5

Norway (9 pts) - tied for 2nd w/ Slovenia

Slovenia (9 pts)

Group 6

Poland (18 pts) - 1st place

England (16 pts)

Group 7

Spain (12 pts) - tied for first w/ Serbia

Serbia (12 pts)

Group 8

Croatia (16 pts) - 1st place

Sweden (15 pts)

So, if qualifying ended today, England and Sweden would finish as the top 2 second place teams and go directly to the world cup. The draw for the remaining second place teams would be as follows:

Czech Republic

Greece

France*

Russia

Norway

Spain**

* France and Ireland have a game in hand on Israel. I included France as the worst case scenario

** Serbia has a better goal differential than Spain

The reality is that if we finish 2nd, we are likely in store for a very difficult draw. Of course, a lot of things can still change between now and then. For example, France and Spain could still win their groups. Also, as indicated in the prior post, France can also finish third and miss out. If we finish second, we are still in with a chance of finishing as one of the top two second place teams, as Sweden is only 3 points ahead. However, as you can see, the other second place teams also have this chance. Realistically, there is no chance of catching the second place team in the England/Poland group. If we finish 2nd, and do not get a direct birth, the hope would be that the 2nd place team from the Czech Republic/Holland group also get a direct birth - playing one of those two teams would be a horrible draw.

Anyway, it is a bit premature to be looking at 2nd place scenarios in other groups right now. We need to take 3 points against the Ukraine on Wednesday. That puts us back in with a chance for direct qualification as a 1st place team. It also keeps our cushion over Turkey. However, a tie against Ukraine virtually gives Ukraine 1st place. It also likely means that we will drop into a tie with Turkey for second place; with Turkey jumping in front on goal differential. At that point, with only 3 games left, we would be in for a dogfight just to get second place. We would have the easier schedule on paper (Kaz (a), Den (a), Geo (h)) compared to Turkey (Den (h), Ukr (a), Alb (a)), but the matches would still have to be played. Also, keep in mind that Denmark is not out of it yet, as they have a game in hand and games against us and Turkey still to play. From all that I have read, they believe 2nd place is theirs to take. That being said, if we win our remaining four games, we will likely finish first and get direct qualification. However, even if we finish 2nd, we will have a great shot at dirct qualification, as we will finish the campaign with 21 points (not counting Kaz.) So, first things first - we must get the three points against the Ukraine.

if we win our remaining four games, we will likely finish first and get direct qualification.

Everything you said is correct except that.

Even if Greece wins all 4 games, we need UKR to tie one game. Lose 2 points...

Their hardest game, is TUR at home.

I try to be realistic but NOT pessimistic.

Greece beating DEN away while UKR losing points form TUR at home is unlikely...but I still hope for it.

Is there a seeding in the playoff draw?

PEACE

If we win our next four games, we could still finish first - that is probably the better way to say it. I believe, though, that if we beat Ukraine on Wednesday, they will begin to feel the pressure. Granted, their schedule is not the most difficult (Geo (a), Tur (h), Alb (h)). But a draw in any of those three games would see us finish level on points (assuming we win our remaining games as well). In this scenario, we would win the tie breaker by virtue of a better head-to-head record. Difficult, but possible. The most important thing is to win on Wednesday. We can worry about the rest later.

As far as the draw goes, I do not believe there is a seeding, but I could be wrong. I hope there is no seeding, as it would not benefit us at all - we were in the third ranked group for the world cup draw and would likely be the among the lowest seeded teams in the playoff draw.

nice job on researching all this information

being behind by 5 points with 4 games remaining is tough to overcome but i do have this feeling that we will end up being in first

if we can just beat Ukraine that will add alot of pressure

something they haven't had to deal with all along in the world cup qualifying

if we just win out in the rest of our games we just might get into world cup in 2nd place w/o playing the playoff round

but everything starts with a win v Ukraine

Let me be the first to say this...

If we dont beat Ukraine on Wednesday, say bye bye to any hope we had of making the world cup. Ukraine will be 8 points ahead of us, and likely turkey will be 1 point ahead of us. When its time for those two teams to play, Ukraine will have a secured birth into the WC, and wont be using their good players against Turkey... So its another 3 points for Turkey.

Win or go home, thats what will happen tomorrow

If we dont beat Ukraine on Wednesday, say bye bye to any hope we had of making the world cup. Ukraine will be 8 points ahead of us, and likely turkey will be 1 point ahead of us. When its time for those two teams to play, Ukraine will have a secured birth into the WC, and wont be using their good players against Turkey... So its another 3 points for Turkey.

Take it one game at a time. Turkey has to also play at home against Denmark as well.

Surprises can happen. Never assume!!! Remember Euro 2004!!!

If we dont beat Ukraine on Wednesday, say bye bye to any hope we had of making the world cup.  Ukraine will be 8 points ahead of us, and likely turkey will be 1 point ahead of us.  When its time for those two teams to play, Ukraine will have a secured birth into the WC, and wont be using their good players against Turkey... So its another 3 points for Turkey.

Take it one game at a time. Turkey has to also play at home against Denmark as well.

Surprises can happen. Never assume!!! Remember Euro 2004!!!

Its just my prediction of what will happen if we lose to Ukraine... If we beat them I think Ukraine will beat Turkey and we will finish in Second...

But, I believe we will beat Ukraine tomorrow... I think (hope) our team realizes how important this game is, and they will play with their hearts on their sleaves leaving it all on the field

Forget about second place

our objective is to get first place

we do this with a win tomorrow v Ukraine

no doubt it will be a tough task

but nuttin is easy in this world

Ukraine is a terrific side

the hottest teams in the European zone

but it will be frantic tomorrow in Karaiskaki

the Greek fans will make the Ukraines feel uncomfortable and out of place

i want nobody here thinking wut if we losee

no we will win that is wut we must do

winn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget about second place

our objective is to get first place

we do this with a win tomorrow v Ukraine

no doubt it will be a tough task

but nuttin is easy in this world

Ukraine is a terrific side

the hottest teams in the European zone

but it will be frantic tomorrow in Karaiskaki

the Greek fans will make the Ukraines feel uncomfortable and out of place

i want nobody here thinking wut if we losee

no we will win that is wut we must do

winn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great attitude :tup:

1st place is our only objective here... :gr:

Otto said when he came into these games he wanted four points, and if we beat ukraine 2nite he would have got what he wanted, and what he promised, he wants top place and he'll get it.

Otto is the man, with a plan...

Otto is mean, with a scheme...

Otto is a football geek, doing it like a greek...???

very poetic lol

but we all do agree with one thing

King Otto is the all knowing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the turks have a leg in the play-offs, but i have no doubts they will drop atleast 2 points, Ukraine away is hard enough, but we MUST win against denmark, the players must give the game of their lives, and find the greek spirit they found during last summer... I will always have faith Hellas. Always

I just want to see Greece out of Germany

It dosnt matter for me if Türkiye can go to Germany or not

:box: :box:

I saw the game at Eurosprt

Greek played really better than Ukraine....ok I said wrong -- Greek played first time as a Euro Champ -- I said wrong sorry to the greek fans.....

I saw a real good technical football of the greek team with several chances especially in the first time ...

Greece played better but lost thats really bad luck

But greeks can be proud to their national team

And of course I want to see Greece in Germany I wrote it wrong --sorry for the missunderstanding ...

But Greece can go to germany everything is open..... nowthing is over if Turkiye loose Greece will go to Germany....

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: I wish Greece and Turkiye would both go to Germany caus e they play better football than Ukraine....

especially Greece played wonderfull tonight..... :gr:

Ok tonight did not go our way and anyone who saw the game would agree we definatly played better than Ukraine i think even shevchenko who only got one shot on goal can also agree on that, also the fact that Karagounis, and Capsis were taken off injured. did not help us at all, lets face it it just wasn't our night. But thease are the facts that we have to deal with.

OUR NEXT 3 GAMES ARE AS FOLLOWS KAZ vs GRE DEN vs GRE GRE vs GEO

TURKEYS NEXT 3 GAMES ARE AS FOLLOWS TUR vs DEN UKR vs TUR ALB vs TUR

Now after the first game there is a very good chance that TUR may draw and greece will obvously win which will again give us the 1 point advantage and there is a very good chance of that happenning. so all is not lost for second place the win against against KAZ will set us up against DEN in which we will have play the game of our lives, but also lets not forget Dellas will be back and our injury list wont be as bad.

Turkey to me have harder run home provided UKR just dont throw the game because of automatic qualification but i can see a draw in one of those games. aslight hic up for turkey and its curtains.

We didn't really drop the ball yesterday. we dropped it last September in Albania, and then at Karaiskaki against Turkey.

Not really. We had time to make it up and are slowly losing it at crunch time...

I still firmly believe we'll get 2nd. I highly doubt Turkey gets the 9 points from their remaining matches, whilst we can definitely do exactly that; (Kazakhstan- win, Georgia- win, Denmark- tough one but we can certainly do it).

Hopefully Otto uses the Confed. Cup to test out Gekas and Amanatidis and if they do perform well, he should substitute out Vryzas (although he tries hard and is a leader, he just isn't that effective) for those games in September. Keep the faith boys!

And of course I want to see Greece in Germany I wrote it wrong --sorry for the missunderstanding ...

But Greece can go to germany everything is open..... nowthing is over if Turkiye loose Greece will go to Germany....

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: I wish Greece and Turkiye would both go to Germany caus e they play better football than Ukraine....

especially Greece played wonderfull tonight..... :gr:

Turkcell,

It is going to be a dog fight between Greece, Turkey and Denmark for 2nd place.

Do not forget...Denmark has 1 game in hand and is playing in Turkey on Sept. 3...they win and they are tied with Greece and 1 game in hand over Turkey....if anyone is capable of winning in Turkey, it is Denmark...we all know their capabilities in away games.

This is not over by a long shot.....second place is anyones....

The only think that scares me is that Ukrain will not really care against turkey in their home game because they are already through and they might loose just because they are not going to really play strong. I just hope that Greece is going to win in Denmark. That is the Key game for us to hope for anything good. Of course any more points lost in the other 2 games it also means forget about Germany.

One thing is certain: Albania and Kazakstan are Turkish friendly. This is why the latter openned their legs to loose 0-6 from turkey just so that the turks will have the goal advantage if they will tie with us in the end...

kazakstan

turkmenistan

afganistan

tjioehtohgstan

sfjrigjprgjpestan

srifgjrolgiorgpstan

5873408570stan

forget about it....

Archived