Phantis Forums

NAME THE NEW STADIUM

athinaios

We shouldn't be calling a whole stadium after ONE player, that would be silly, different stands yes but the whole stadium must have a name that includes ALL of PAO and its history.

I would go with just "The Trifili" or something like that. But it's not for us to decide.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We shouldn't be calling a whole stadium after ONE player, that would be silly, different stands yes but the whole stadium must have a name that includes ALL of PAO and its history.

I would go with just "The Trifili" or something like that. But it's not for us to decide.

You are right mate it is not for us to decide. But this is the case with most things we discuss in this forum.

Here's a question for you lot. If we name the football stadium "whatever" ARENA what are we gonna name the Basketball arena? ("Whatever" Stadium maybe?)

Well, whatever happens I hope we will have a stadium at least, whatever its name.

In 2008 we will celebrate our 100 years. I want our centenary celebrations to be in the new stadium, our own home. I don't want to go to OAKA.

Actually I think if Leoforos is still standing we should have a special event planned there for our centenary. Just to go there one last time on our 100th birthday would make my cry with pride.

Guest Protathlitis

Pao arena is excellent if you think what is going to happen to some teams like osfp. :D

as long as we continue our current record away against pao Ill be happy

but jokes aside, Arena is a bad word for a stadium. it sounds crap

Where should it come from?

I dont understand you guys

I am just explaining to you that a Stadion is called like that from ancient times because of the running track...

Hence, other constructions lacking a running track are nor Stadia, but Football Grounds, etc...

I guess if we had our old friend Gobekli he could give us an explanation on that, and I would definitelly like to clear that up since we at AEK also talk about possible names a lot

I think the name of the stadium should take after Panathinaikos' founder...

"Giorgos Kalafatis Stadium"

Your stadium names are PAO founder name. Gala's founder is Ali Sami Yen. Our stadium names so that. PAO Arena, Trifilli Quarter other alternative...

Good idea my friend :tup:

Stadium means it will have a running track ;)

Hence all else are Arenas or Whatever

You cant call a track-less grounf a stadium ... ;)

There's the Mouse being pedantic again... <_<

I got to give it to him. I was in Greece for a week yet he skillfully managed to avoid me in every instance. Those "tavli" canings he received made him a wiser man :LOL:

I was in Greece for a week yet he skillfully managed to avoid me in every instance. Those "tavli" canings he received made him a wiser man :LOL:

Ai pnixou re xalva! :D

You were so scared of the rematch you closed your cellphone... :LOL:

I hope we canmake it in the Summer along with all the other Mytilinioi of the board who I see are many!

PAO STADIO...even rhymes and the international media/press can pronounce it.

dont be too sure about the press being able to pronounce it. id say they would say something like "wlecome to the pii aay oouu stadio...". most of the times non-greek commentators get knots in their tongues if they try to speak out a greek name.

so far i liked the idea about naming it after your founder the best one. it also sounds good.

nea leoforos (it isnt in the same area but it is the name of the stadium your team is connected with)

what about a combination of names of some of your greatest players?

or

BR stadium/arena

No "Vardinoyiannis" in the name :o

Trifilli sounds great!

I want the PANATHINAIKOS name in it, NOT P.A.O.

"Stadio" was originally a measurement of land area in ancient Greece.

"Stadium" is a latin word, the Romans took from Greek, to name their

"venues" where they send slaves to fight against lions...

"Arena", which is also Latin, is the dirt area inside the stadium, where the actual gladiator "action" took place, like todays "pitch".

I vote for official names :"Ghpedo Panathinaikou", or "Panathinaikos field" internationally.

Nicknamed "To Trifilli", because of a HUGE trifilli design.

PEACE

dont be too sure about the press being able to pronounce it. id say they would say something like "wlecome to the pii aay oouu stadio...". most of the times non-greek commentators get knots in their tongues if they try to speak out a greek name.

there not actually that bad at pronouncing greek words, though they modestly say they are, i have no complaints about the way they pronounce giannakopoulos, and if the english can pronounce that, im sure the rest of the world can pronounce pao.

The name has to be short, simple and if possible of a common Greek-English base word.

Look what happened with the "Eleftherios Venizelos" airport! Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) can say it! They put the accent everywhere else but in the right spot. Athens International or Olympic would have been much much better. Not to mention everyone asks "Who was that Eeeleftheriouuus Venitchethcelouus guy"?

Names of individuals are out of the question. Panathinaikos carries a big history to promote just one player no matter how big he was or is. Names of previews or current owners of the team is also out of the question. The name will be here for ever like the team.

Arena is for basketball grounds mainly. Stadium is more for soccer. A stadium cannot be exclusively for soccer though. It has to be able to host track and field events also.

As of the OSFP fans, they better watch what they say! Kati tetoia elege ki o Karaiskakis kai tou kanane ton kolo gipedo! kai gia auto gemizei skat a kathe Kiriaki!

Archived