Phantis Forums

SFA FINAL

So many things to take into account, but yes, the most logical answer would be a comprehensive victory for Celtic.

Firstly, and most importantly, which Celtic side will turn up? Defensively, they have been making mistakes throughout the season with the goalkeeper's position another problem. Three goalkeepers have been used already, and it will be one of Martin O'neill's first tasks this summer to find a quality number 1. If Celtic take the game to United, it will be virtually impossible to keep out the likes of Bellamy, Hartson and Sutton. I was at a league match at Parkhead this season, where this was the case, but the United keeper and defence kept the score to 1-0. They will have to have similar luck to have the faintest of chances.

United have a few quality players in their side who can cause problems if given the chance. Top scorer Jim McIntyre is suspended, which should see the great enigma Jason Scotland start up front alongside Stevie Crawford. Trinidadan Scotland has failed to live up to the early promise, and has proved more successful coming off the bench. With lightening speed, and and the build of a middleweight boxer, he could cause the rather static central defence of Balde and Varga problems.

It would take a brave or foolish man to bet against a Celtic victory. I'm not sure which category I fall into, but I'll be puting a couple of quid on the side in Tangerine anyway.

This will be my 5th Scottish Cup Final, and so far the record is poor:

1984-85 Celtic 2-1 Dundee United

1986-87 St Mirren 1-0 Dundee United

1987-88 Celtic 2-1 Dundee United

1990-91 Motherwell 4-3 Dundee United

1993-94 Dundee United 1-0 Rangers

So maybe we are due another victory. Then again .............

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but as a going-away present, Celtic players gifted Martin O'Neill a 1-0 victory over Dundee Utd and the Scottish Cup.

Btw, good luck to Geraldine O'Neill and may Martin be in the position to make a football comeback very soon! :)

Archived