Phantis Forums

Bajevic: in or out?

CH-Thrylos

Should Bajevic stay and have full control over the building of our new team?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bajevic stay and have full control over the building of our new team?

• yes
    • no
    • i dont care

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont really understand why the coaches in greece are fired so fast. sometimes they dont even really get the chance to build and train the team the way they want.

Cause everyone(media and fans) expects and wants the "perfect" team to win every freakin match especailly OSFP and PAO. It's more easier to blame the coach.

At least what AEK has been going thru with their re-building, the fans I believe understood this and haven't bitched like the greens or reds. Santos is still around and look what they have accomplised which many thought otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

rivaldo made another statement, which could eventually lead to bajevics exit. he said "either we will have a coach with 'greek mentality' who will lead us ti win titles in greece again, or we need one with 'european mentality' who will help us playing well in europe".

seems to me that ribo isnt satisfied with bajevics work with osfp, although he ranks now on 9th position of the most successfull coaches in europe, according to the uefa.

What I think that Ribbo meant, and he has a point there,that Bajevic (Not only him but other coaches in Greece as well) are very Greek minded

Of course Rivaldo has nothing against Greek mentality he said many times how he likes the Greek people and the life here

What do I mean (and Ribbo) by Greek minded:

A coach that looks mainly how to be better than PAO and AEK, in the Greek league and in Europe

European minded coach is one who looks in a wider point of view which wants to be good in Europe , comparing to Milan, Liverpool, Barcelona. Monako...not only to PAO with all due respect

If we want to have real acheivments in Europe that is what we need to have

And of course it begins with the coach

Bajevic may be a wonderful person and great coach, but he is too much influenced by the fans/

We need one who has a way and does not care if the fans boo him as long as he can have a good relations with the players and inspire them and motivate them to great achivments in Europe' and also train them' not be jus a friend like Rajikard of Barça

A coach that maybe loses the greeek title to PAO (heavens forbid) but brings us to the semis or more of the CL or gaining the UEFA CUp , why not? The first was gained by a team that passed us only by luck and the second was gained by CSKA which has some good Brazilians and others but is not better team than Oly

So this is the way you have to understand Ribbos statement, and now the directory havs to decide if they want only to be the best Greek team (with all due respect) or something more, which Ribbo believes is possible and he is ready to contribute all his experience and talent and garra for that

He waited to say that after he did what he had to do in the field and helped to get the double

Koman is not the adecuate coach in my oipnion, to docil and well.. you have seen Ajax lately

A striker or two is very important of course , but about this I agree with Bajevic who said that it is better to have other players who can score and do other things then to have a tipical strikers that does not know to do anything but stay in the area and usually get heavily marked .

This season the best strikers in our team were just such players - Ribbo and Geovanni, not our striker Okkas

In Fenerbahce we had Alex, an attacking midfielder with 24 goals and 14 asisst in

30 games.

Bajevic is OK I guess but for the CL we need someone more audaz and very self assured, that will not feel insulted if some player speaks his mind´and will not be afraid of the fans reactions

Scolari who won the Mundial against all odds was bood and called burro (donkey)but he did not care and continued with his plan

That is of course my personal humble opinion

There is a "little " problem, where do we find such a person and persuade him to come to Greece?

I do not conceal my thoghts ,when I described my ideal coach I thoght of Vanderlei Luxenburgo, but unfortuately he is not available, i am sory to see him in the hated R. Madrid

And i am sure somene will wisper the names in Kokalis ears

rivaldo made another statement, which could eventually lead to bajevics exit. he said "either we will have a coach with 'greek mentality' who will lead us ti win titles in greece again, or we need one with 'european mentality' who will help us playing well in europe".

seems to me that ribo isnt satisfied with bajevics work with osfp, although he ranks now on 9th position of the most successfull coaches in europe, according to the uefa.

Rivaldo's Opinioning is important and there is nuttin wrong on wut he says

he has been outspoken before about Bajevic both negative and positive

but were reading too much into these statements

lets face it any other coach we get will deal with enormous pressure

the only coach that can come to Olympiakos is a past winner of C.L. or a mutiple time winner in the Bigger European leagues

Bajevic when is all said and done will stay

he still got 2 years left on his deal

he won't walk away from that money

i think Bajevic will try to presuade Kokkalis to let him have more of a say on which players he wants to get

Bajevic wants to build Olympiakos it all depends how much power is Kokkalis is willing to give him

i think Kokkalis needs to handle this situation appropriately and accordingly

Bajevic stay on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

since it has become such a big subject in the news lets talk about it in here too.

it seems as if bajevic wont continue on osfps bench and a foreign coach will take his place. the names that are connected with osfp right now are the following:

Javier Irureta (57) (deportiva la coruna):

sixth with depor in 1999

won the spanish championship in 2000

among the first 3 in 2001-2004

semi final in cl in 2004

won three other cups in spain

Gheorghe Hagi (40) (galatasaray):

trained rumania in 2001 but didnt qualify for the world cup

trained bursaspor but couldnt make it there long too

trained galatasaray in 04/05, won the turkish cup and finished third in the championship

Paul Le Guen (41) (olympic lyon):

won the french championship 3 times in a row

is now connected to fenerbahce

Vicente Del Bosque (54) (no team):

won the spanish championship with madrid 5 times

2 times champions league winner

5 spanish cups

1 supercup

1 world team cup

Ottmar Hitzfeld (56) (no team):

details dont have to be given since he is known as one of the best coaches in the world

Christoph Daum (51) (fenerbahce):

5 times second in germany

1 german championship with stuttgart in 1992

1 german super cup in 1992

2 times turkish champion with fenerbahce and besiktas

1 turkish cup

1 turkish super cup

1 austrian championship with austria wien

José Antonio Camacho (50):

no big achievements (yet)

all these coaches are very successfull and it would be a big achievement for osfp to be able to hire one of them. personally i would prefer either daum or hitzfeld, although hitzfeld is impossible to get imo. daum on the other hand will most probably leave fenerbahce and will be replaced by le guen. i remember daum as a coach who is able to get 150% out of the team he trains and as a good motivator. since the cocain-story in germany though he seems to not be respected as a coach anymore like in the past. this might be the right man to do the job if dusan will leave.

i don t know but these year even with so many problems osfp manage to win both domestic titles and was really close of going to the round of 16 in CL.we didn t play great at most of the games but at least we try to play attacking soccer most of the way.bajevic is a good coach and only in his 1 year since he is back he got a team with three latin super players that can do great things but not listen to there coach.bajevic has only one rule peitharxeia that is what he asks even if your name is taralidis or castilio or ribo.another problem is for all greek teams that we don t have so much money to have a roster like chelsea or real madrit that you can use different lineups every game.because of that everybody wants to do great in europe but we can t really compete in a higher level.all the names that i hear so far sound ok but losing bajevic with out having his replacement ready to come the nest day it will be astep backwards.i believe bajevic must stay and finish his contract.let s not forget he started it for us by making osfp the best team in the last 10 years, it will be fair to let the guy finish his work without trouble from inside.....

I always was (and still I am) a solid Bajevic supporter, but this time I am not 100% sure for his future in our team. The man has talent in building a new team and he is (despite the last 3 years changes in his tactics, towards defensive football) still offensive minded (which is the essense of football, imo). But he has some faults:1. He is short-tempered and overly selfish, both are big minuses for a manager of any kind.

2. His communication with the upper management is problematic. I'm not claiming that the Oly management is perfect but there were situations he should handle better.

3. Quite often, he is a poor on-field tactician. He looses temper when things don't go as planned, falling easily into despair. This isn't a european mentality, Luz is right.

4. His tactics are now quite known by the rest Greek team coaches. He can't take them by surprise, as he did in the past.

5. He isn't a big name, this is a problem with the stars of our team.

6. Not his fault but the hot-headed at Gate 7 dislike him (why?, because he didn't worship their own God ie Giovanni?) and they are able to create problems. That's a pitty for greek teams; a handful of short-sighted fans can affect their future.

On the other side, let's not be too optimistic about acquiring a big name. Any famous coach would demand a set of expensive transfers on which he would want total control. That means a hell of a money that Olympiakos doesn't have, unless there is an additional source of income we don't know about or an unfounded optimism about our succes in next year's CL.

At this point I am confused whether he should stay. If he stays, he should regain total control of the team (I doubt he will be permitted to do so) and he should be assisted by a technical director (like Zaec in Pao) who should be able to communicate effectively with the club management. I think that the latter is a vital need for us. He should be a low-key (?) man with superb communicating and diplomatic skills. He should also have exceptional scouting talents. I think this is the man we need badly, even more than an effective coach.

I always was (and still I am) a solid Bajevic supporter, but this time I am not 100% sure for his future in our team. The man has talent in building a new team and he is (despite the last 3 years changes in his tactics, towards defensive football) still offensive minded (which is the essense of football, imo). But he has some faults:1. He is short-tempered and overly selfish, both are big minuses for a manager of any kind.

2. His communication with the upper management is problematic. I'm not claiming that the Oly management is perfect but there were situations he should handle better.

3. Quite often, he is a poor on-field tactician. He looses temper when things don't go as planned, falling easily into despair. This isn't a european mentality, Luz is right.

4. His tactics are now quite known by the rest Greek team coaches. He can't take them by surprise, as he did in the past.

5. He isn't a big name, this is a problem with the stars of our team.

6. Not his fault but the hot-headed at Gate 7 dislike him (why?, because he didn't worship their own God ie Giovanni?) and they are able to create problems. That's a pitty for greek teams; a handful of short-sighted fans can affect their future.

On the other side, let's not be too optimistic about acquiring a big name. Any famous coach would demand a set of expensive transfers on which he would want total control. That means a hell of a money that Olympiakos doesn't have, unless there is an additional source of income we don't know about or an unfounded optimism about our succes in next year's CL.

At this point I am confused whether he should stay. If he stays, he should regain total control of the team (I doubt he will be permitted to do so) and he should be assisted by a technical director (like Zaec in Pao) who should be able to communicate effectively with the club management. I think that the latter is a vital need for us. He should be a low-key (?) man with superb communicating and diplomatic skills. He should also have exceptional scouting talents. I think this is the man we need badly, even more than an effective coach.

i have to agree with you in most of the points. but imo the whole subject started because of thyra 7. they were from the beginning against the assignement of bajevic and the always showed that. and that surely was one of the reasons he wasnt able to really do his job the way he wanted to.

especially the point with him being "not a big name" is essential to me to and i have to agree that this lets the "stars" do and say whatever they want. unfortunately. if he would have had the full backup of our management this stuff wouldnt have happened. but kokkalis and co dont want to ruin their relations to the fans and the stars. otherwise they would have done something after all the statements giovanni, ribo etc made.

IF we bring in this big coach everybody dreams of the team HAS to get big name players too. otherwise things would be like dipapa said. and i doubt it that the management would stop getting involved in the transfer matters.

to be honest i am not sure what should happen. on the one side i trust in bajevics abilities in building a new and strong team if they let him do it and assigning a "big name" coach doesnt automatically mean that we would do better in europe. on the other hand though, i doubt it that bajevic will get the guarantees he wants to be able to work the way he wants to, something that could happen though if a "big name" coach would take over.

to be honest i am not sure what should happen. on the one side i trust in bajevics abilities in building a new and strong team if they let him do it and assigning a "big name" coach doesnt automatically mean that we would do better in europe. on the other hand though, i doubt it that bajevic will get the guarantees he wants to be able to work the way he wants to, something that could happen though if a "big name" coach would take over.

I share the same thoughts. I don't know which is best for the team right now, given the known deficiencies of our paragontes. I think that it is highly possible (but not secure) that Sokratis and his son will continue interfering even after a "big coach" is hired. A technical director (assuming the right person is hired) might prevent those problems, taking as granted that Kokkalis and Co will understand that.

Big coaches demand different mentality from the club as a whole. At this moment, Greek teams don't have this. Just take a look at e.g. the ridiculous acts they play in front of the athletic judge to understand what I mean :

- Pao officials claiming that Goumas was ...reconstructing an incident when he smacked down the rival player.

- Oly officials claiming that ... unknown rival fans with provoking intentions were responsible for the rioting in Nea Smirni.

Greek teams executives need to grow up and create a serious infrastructure before starting to think of European success. What we lack now is a tradition of professionalism, as for big names we have enough of them.

we are not getting the so called big name coaches

they are too expensive and demand too much from upper management

they will end up destroying the state of the club

Olympiakos management needs to take this situation very seriously and accordingly

a decision hear can either make or break us for many years to come

in the end i want Bajevic to stay on

he may have many negatives but he has way more positives and thats why he has coached our club to 4 championships and 2 doubles

i mean lets be honest he has been in charge of the club for 4 years and he won every year and took us deep to c.l.

he almost got us out of group stage

off course we all killed him for his tactical errors v Liverpool but again look at Liverpool they won the freaking title and the same could been said for Ancelotti

off course i am not comparing the two

lets hope Bajevic stays on

So ends another stage of Bajevic's coaching career.

I'm not that surprised that he's left. It was clear early on in the year when Rivaldo initially made his comments and nothing was done about it that the board were not going to side against their star player. That, to me at least, was the writing on the wall that Bajevic could not confront or deal with. But credit him for being able to pull off the double inspite of all the crap he had to deal with this year (admin, players, points deducted, etc..). He's always had this amazing ability to bring out the best in his teams despite a lot of external issues. AEK of last year being the exception of course.

Now the one thing that does concern me is the way this has all transpired. Olympiakos's board seemed to have heeded what a few select players and a fan's organization stated openly. That they didn't want Bajevic there anymore and that they wanted some sort of big name to come.

Don't you guys think this is setting a bad precedent? After all, who is bigger, the player or the coach?

Kokkalis can play up the fans all he wants, but in the end has to make a decision that's best for the club and its economics. Was letting Bajevic get away the best one? I'm not sure.

Moreover, Olympiakos has been trying to get a big name coach for a very long time. I remember years ago they had tried to lure Wrenger over to Athens when he was coming back from his coaching stint in Japan. It didn't work then. Who is to say that it will work now?

Luz, dipapa, and Oly11 brought up very good points for and against Bajevic and the possibilities for the team and future coaches. I agree that the way things are shaping up for Olympiakos, they truly need to get someone who can break them out of the European doldrums. It's the rare Greek coach that can do that. I think Kyrastas (RIP) of PAO a few years back was one of them. But who else?

Getting a foreign coach is a double edged sword. I think the most obvious con against them is that they don't understand the Greek mentality. We all know it exist amongst players and coach. Hell, it runs rampant through the whole system. Getting some guy in who has no clue about it and who can't understand certain aspects of the player's mentality is asking for trouble.

But then again, I look at a guy like Otto and am amazed. He molded a team and gave them purpose and direction. He never had a clue about any Greek mentality and he didn't give a s%$#!. After all, what did he have to lose? LOL!

Club play is a bit different though, where a coach is going to have to deal with multiple problems 24/7. The president might interfere. The fans aren't happy with a tactic. Player's ego's start to surface and they start to give a manager grief. Many of those problems don't occur on a National team and if they do then the coach tells the player to beat it (Re: Georgatos or Zlatko Zahovic of Slovenia) or the coach simply resigns.

Olympiakos have a serious dilemma. If they can't entice a "big name coach" to Athens then what will the resignation of Bajevic, a coach whose record clearly speaks for itself, have accomplished?

now this is the biggest joke of the whole season. what the f*** did they talk about in their meeting if not about the coach?! this is simply ridiculous! i am very disappointed of kokkalis and the other people of the management that they didnt have the balls to tell dusan if they want him to stay or not. :tdown: it rather seems that they wanted things to come this way so that they dont look bad in front of the fans who supported bajevic and wanted him to stay.

bajevic did the right thing. even now he placed the team higher than himself. :nw: :nw: :nw:

dusan, thank you for everything you did for the team. without him osfp wouldnt have managed to get back on top again. :nw: :nw: :nw:

he brought in players like stelara, djole, anatolakis, mavrogenidis, alexandris etc. he was the one who made a team out of these players. he brought osfp back into europe. and he did better in europe than any other coach during these years.

i just dont understand that a supposed "big club" with "megali istoria" and blablablaaaa is going to be ruled by its FANS!!!!!!!! and some diva-players that think they know everything better. i am so disappointed with these news.

and the best thing would be, that now after bajevic resigning kokkalis wont bring any of these big names in as everybody was telling in the news. i could imagine that he will bring a bigon-like name in. or some anastopoulos or chatzaras. then i would really like to see the faces of the morons that were against bajevic.

and for bajevic personally i just wish one thing: if we bring in a "big name" i want us to suck in europe like in the past. i want us to get zero points. just for bajevic being able to see our team suck so that he can put on a satisfied smile, knowing that he would have done it better. he doesnt deserve a treatment like this after all he had to go through this year, but was always working for the club and never placed himself above it. thank you dusan.

Archived