Phantis Forums

Xanthi gets 2 successful penalties cancelled

Euphoria

Against Halkidona, Xanthi were awarded a penalty. It was scored then had to be retaken. The retake was also scored but it was also cancelled. The third penalty missed.

I haven't been able to see any footage of this, has anyone else? Why did the penalty have to be taken 3 times? I know that the referee was an Athenian, was this just another case of corruption? It seems like someone out there doesn't want Xanthi threatening the Champions League positions...

Euphoria, i saw the higglites on Athlitiki Kyriaki. The ref gave the reason that he called the first two penalties back because he has supposedly not blown the whistle. From what I saw there was no reason to call those penalties back.

However it should also be mentioned that the ref in question is Germanakos, the son of a the president of the Referee Association. Make your own conclusions.

Germanakos senior of course is the ref who called one of the UEFA Cup finalsbetween Napoli and Stuttgart in 1988, where he butchered the German team.

Let me start off by saying I'm glad it happened to Ksanthi because they have been bitching about the officials way to much lately. Now, if the ref really wanted Ksanthi to lose he would have never awarded that penalty kick. Psaxnonte oi anthropoi. :tdown:

Let me start off by saying I'm glad it happened to Ksanthi because they have been bitching about the officials way to much lately.  Now, if the ref really wanted Ksanthi to lose he would have never awarded that penalty kick.  Psaxnonte oi anthropoi.  :tdown:

Tell me which team doesn't bitch about the referees <_<

So Mitso you are condoning bad and incompetent refereeing?

Chris, I don't believe there is anything wrong with the officiating in Greece. I watch games from all over the world and the officiating is the same. In Greece we like to blame them for everything.

Tell me which team doesn't bitch about the referees

That's the problem. In Greece everyone has a problem with authority figures. No respect.

I will disagree with you Jim. I think the officiating in the Greek league is poor. However, I will agree with you about everyone complaining about it in the press, instead of taking the matter up with appropriate officials at EPAE and EPO.

What exactly is so poor about it? I mean what makes it worse then the EPL for example? Refs are human and they will make mistakes, from that point it all depends on how a team handles it. Why is it here in the States if anyone publicly complains about officiating they get reprimanded, not to mention torched by the media. Have you not seen bad calls in sports here? Why is it so hard, in Greece, to understand that refs will make mistakes? At what point does constant bitching lose its' credibility?

True that in greece everyone gets so pissed off against the ref when a call is made against them which is normal but not to a point where the refs are being threatened or pushed like we have seen and even players going ballistic and surround the ref and fire up the crowds too.

I think this is caused by fans/media thinking that the refs are being paid to decide matches and so thats why everyone freaks out at them.

Obviously refs are humans and are going to keep making mistakes. Even the top refs in europe.

For example, imo, the header by Terry of Chelsea to win it over Barca shouldnt have been allowed since a player of chelsea obstructed the goalkeeper. Now many thought Collina who's apprently no.#1, was wrong. Another ref probably would have called that goal back.

True that in greece everyone gets so pissed off against the ref when a call is made against them which is normal but not to a point where the refs are being threatened or pushed like we have seen and even players going ballistic and surround the ref and fire up the crowds too.

I think this is caused by fans/media thinking that the refs are being paid to decide matches and so thats why everyone freaks out at them.

What you say is very true. Most fans, media etc... have a hard time admitting that the team they support lost fair and square. To make matters worse, they now have retired refs on sport shows who criticize controversial calls. The funny part is they have to go back and forth with their equipment to determine if the correct call was made, if only the official on the field had that luxury. This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have seen. I’ve said it before and will keep on saying it, refs don’t win or lose games, players and coaches do.

I agree with you..True on that one and about the retired refs using video replay to tell the public that the ref was right or wrong.

Those 'fans' that bitch and raise their blood to boil should try to ref a match someday and see how difficult it is.

I will agree that the media greatly adds to the problem by focusing on the ref's calls every Sunday night. Greece has to be the only country, where the media is all over the announcements on which refs will officiate the games. They come on with all the scenarios, analyzing the particular refs for particular games. Unless this stops I don't see any improvement in the situation.

Archived