Phantis Forums

Why such small crowds?

ukchris

Hello

I'm a follower of Greek football based in the UK (I'm married to an Athenian). One thing I can't understand about Greek football at the moment is why Panathinakos are getting such small crowds?

From what I can tell from Ethnos's sports magazine, your crowds average between six and nine thousand for home league games in a stadium that holds about 15,000. As a world famous club who've done quite well in this year's Champions League and are currently top of the league, I don't understand why you get significantly smaller crowds than AEK and Olympiacos. In fact the other week I saw that Kalamata had a bigger home crowd in the second division than you'd had that day.

One theory I had was that it might be because you have to be a member to get into your crowd. I've rung up to try and buy tickets several times when I've been in Athens, but they've always told me you have to be a member to attend.

Any replies would be much appreciated - oh, and congratulations on being top (at least for today). That striker you got from Kallithea looks to have been a great signing!

OK Chris, here we go.

1stly, many PAO fans are against the PAO football president.

2ndly, many PAO fans have been excluded by the PAO president (1st and second are linked)

3rdly, the team has been playing badly for most of the season.

4thly, there is coverage of every single PAO game on TV.

Fans this year have mixed feelings about the team.

No one was happy with the transfers that came last summer, however, the stadium wqs full in the begining of the season and the team had a couple of good results.

Then we changed manager for no obvious reason (that is not to say that the one we had was any good). As a result team performance got worse while the new coach was trying to change things. We lost a lot of points in the League got out of the Cup without playing some good football (we only played well in CL)

We also gave away A very important player during January transfer window.

I guess Pao fans have nothing to cheer for this season.

Other than that I think Pao fans cannot stand watchin games is such a bad stadium anymore while our archrivals have a modern stadium. The stadium is right in the middle of Athens with no parking facilities. People think twice before deciding to go watch a game.

Guest Protathlitis

(we only played well in CL)

you did?

Still, despite performances; not being being able to half fill a 14,000 capacity 'stadium' is pretty pathetic

Guest Protathlitis

there are reasons for that because Rizoupoli was a temporary stadium; have a look at the years before Rizoupoli, pao was often 5th on the list!!

i agree with the new stadium statement, once we build a new stadium it will sell out a lot especially in the beginning, but eventually its just going to go back to the way it is, i dont know what it is with panathinaikos fans, but we have shown we dont come to the aid of our club and make it hell for the opposition as osfp does, i can only remember once, when we sold out at OAKA when we played juventus in the kurasta days, but as of late we have not had any consistency in our attentendance, and yes i think the fact u have to be a member has a big effect as well, the common fan can not just go and pull in a game...i hope things change for the better for every club not just panatha for the better of the league :tup: :tup: :tup:

My opinion is this plain and simple. Pao funs are the most demanding funs in Greece, something that is so damn true and I really hate. If you listen to ERA sport an athletic broadcast radio you will hear many Pao funs complain:

- why the team of OSFP is for the past years dominating Greek soccer while they do not really deserve it. If you look the pre 1997 era of Greek soccer the Greek big teams like Pao, Aek, Osfp getting way much less points in the chapionship because it was more competitive. Ever since 1997 Osfp won all the Chapionships exept of the last year (Pao won it).Remember that Osfp had not won the league for 9 years before because they always succed and almost became nonexisten due to unpaid loans of their president (he went to gail). The new Osfp president is well known that uses the bonus for the Chapions League entry of winning the league to gain money and he manipulates the refs for it. Look at Osfp performance in the C.L. in comparison to Pao every year while coming in second place. (If you think I bulshitting check the results from the games to see small teams used to beat the big teams on the rgular. ex: For 25 years Osfp had to get a posittive result in Paok stadium until 1997. After 1997 the odds in Paok staduim got reversed for some unexplained reason...)

-Pao in the older days used to dominate Greek football and used to play attractive soccer. We used to dominate all derbies. For the past 9 years except from the last year we rarely win any freking derbies.

-The president used to buy really exciting players and the atmosphere were so much better in the older days.

-The tickets are very expensive for the services the fun gets.

-violence + 80% that go to the stadium have problems...

Look the bottom line is that nowdays Greek soccer sucks. Osfp and Pao every freaking year fight for the league while the rest of the teams play awfull soccer.

the last team except from Pao and Osfp to win the league was Aek in 1993.

well... its good karma bad karma, the league agreeably sucks, but the national team is bliss. we cant have it all... so lets not complain.

But if there is a logical explanation for poor attendences, then it should be fixed, pao is a massive team and its a shame the attendance is poor. a team needs atmosphere to push them, and this could be one of the reasons y pao does not play with heart anymore

Just from my expierences on this board, but aren't the ticket prices pretty expensive for all gamnes at the Leoforo. At least for the Sevilla game, they were obscene! Combine that with the above issues, and it's somewhat justifible for the crowds to be so low. Though if we win the league and get a stadium plan set, we'll see a jump in the attendance (at least I can hope)

Re paidia ti leeete;

Egw anatrafhka me ton PAO mas thn dekaetia tou 60 kai 70...

Tote yphrxan paiktes MEGATHIRIA

pou pezane gia thn FANELA re.......

Oxi ta paiktakia me ta symbolaiakia,

pou bgainoun meta ton agwna

twra k'etsi

kai petane synenteyxeis...

st' Agglika...ktlp...

kai kathgoroune tous pantes...

apo to xrwma ths mpallas

kai ton kathe koouts...

Gia ta XAMINIA auta milaw...

Ti narthw na dw re ;;;

Pare ton ena - ftyse ton allo!

Emeis ftaime pou tous kaname Bentetakia...

Na mathoun twra thn allh opsh tou nomismatos...

ekei sthn apomonwsh...

na paixoun mpalla re-na kynygysoun thn mpalla re...

Me ton Hraklh-ti kanane re;

Oi paiktes tou Hraklh mas kanane skylakia...

Trigwnakia mas paizane sto kentro....

kai kytousame emeis....

O MPAGEVITS exei sthsei thn omada tou

me tetoio tropo pou einai H omada sthn Ellada

pou paizei podosfairo eurwpaikwn prodiagrafwn...

kai me fobero kentro...

demenh omada... MPRABO tou !!!

kai me toses antixoothtes,

Latin ktlp...

Na kanei O Neri ... ton proponhth... :LOL:

O PAO mas exei toooooosa problhmata

pou den xerw apo pou n'arxisw....

TSIGGER, MIGGER, SICKER, KICKER, LICKER ...

Ti na pw re paidia;

Den perpataei to prama...

Na leme psemata dhladh;

Den ta blepoume ta xalia mas;

ANEKDIHGHTOS o MAZELANI ...

Sas tapa apo thn Sebillh...an diabasate tote ti egrapsa...

Akomh den exw dei oute mia kompina sta korner...

Akomh den exw dei oute mia kompina sta faoul...

Zhtaei pistwsh xronou - na mathei tous paiktes...leei

ta IDIA tou Skazni...

Aei sto LYKO...

PAOFOREVER :tdown:

my opinion to this good subject.

-I find it hard to believe that even though PAO was losing or tying some games it's called playing bad? At the moment, they're tied for 1st place..F**k what more do people want? Is this support?

-Plain and simple all fans demand too much, are spoiled and not happy but also it's the same thing in every team.

-PAO cannot win every game but are expected too.

-I dont understand why get rid of your coach(shum) who finally made PAO ethiniki champions after such a long time..WTF? This is so freakin weird!

-PAO was going thru a dry-spell and obviously the coach was sacked again(Scasny)..You know these players are paid to play and win and not bitch!

I find it very bizarre fans dont go to the stadium cause they're against one individual(owner) just to make a point. Then these same people complain about nobody going to the matches..Talk about not supporting your fav team.

-People getting turned off from violent and aggressive fans and of course ticket prices.

-Or fans are tired of Leoforo and need a new and fresh stadium for a change.

o Soum kapote eipe "thelete na pao kala sto CL?? e ferte mou paixtes kalous"

as dosoume xrono ston Malezani.... einai proponitis me peira kai auto maresei... to mono kako einai oti apo tote pou irthe i omada den scorarei opos prin kai den ksero an auto ofilete se auton i stous paixtes.... pantos otan leipei o Munch exoume provlima stis sentres kai sta corner.... den exoume ekeinon ton paixti sta akra pou na vgazei wraies mpalies.... mono o Eki to kanei auto o Munch kai o Lucian pou apo oti eida me to paixnidi me ton Irakli eida oti o Roumanos einai se poli kali katastasi kai den katalaveno giati toso kairo den ton xrisimopoiousan.... kai thelo na tous vlepo na ksekinane mazi me ton Eki.... to allo pou den katalaveno einai oti giati oi paixtes mas exoun toses polles metaptoseis..... o PAO xreiazete paixtes sta akra pou na mporoun na kanoun paixnidi....... theloume ena deksi mpak kai ena aristero (kata protimisei... Seitaridis kai Fyssas) kai fysika na erthei piso o Kirgiakos kai o Karagkounis....

oso tora giati den gemizei to gipedo.... na erthei kosmos na dei ton Maric, ton Andric, ton Ragouel, ton Roubaki, ton kontantinidi, ton Mitu i ki ego den ksero pious allous.... siga min gemisei to gipedo.... kai ti nomizete oti to karaskaiki tha gemize an den itan o Rivaldo?? @@ tha ekane......

as elpisoume oti to kalokairi tha kanoune kales metagrafes etsi oste kai o kosmos na gemizei to gipedo kai na paei kala se Europi kai Ellada..... alla auto amfivalo na ginei...... THA ginei mono otan tin PAE tin paroun oi Giannakopouloi!!!!!!!!!! :nw:

OK Chris, here we go.

1stly, many PAO fans are against the PAO football president.

2ndly, many PAO fans have been excluded by the PAO president (1st and second are linked)

3rdly, the team has been playing badly for most of the season.

4thly, there is coverage of every single PAO game on TV.

i do agree with your first two statements

but the third one where Pao has been very bad this season

may be true due to the expecatations of Pao but Olympiakos hasn't been that much bettter at all and u are still in first

granted the game maybe on tv but the support is needed on the field

why does the President of Pao exclude fans???

i also think another reason that Pao fans are upset is the situation with the stadium

i mean Olympiakos has their beautiful stadium and its doing wonders for the club and the Pao fans have felt cheated b/c they have a billionaire owner like Olympiakos has with Kokkalis but doesn't seem interested with the club

also that AEK who were once almost in 4th division (threatend)

is planning ot rebuild their stadium while Pao still doesn't have a site to build on

just alot of frustrations

also the selling of many home grown Greek players w/o going into the negotiations aspect to get more for the bid

they seem to just settle to easily

FastGreek ta les kala...

Mprabo sou !

Twra tha mas peis:

"Pou thn brhkes ayth thn Kapouliara;"

PAOFOREVER :LOL:

its my little secret bro..... ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for all the replies - it's interesting stuff. I guess it's different here in England in that we don't have the same problems with violence (anymore) and there is just more of a culture of going to football - whatever your age or sex. But, as a fan of a club called York City, who are currently lying 17th in the 5th Division in England, it does seem sad to me that being top of the league doesn't seem enough for a lot of PAO fans. York still get home crowds of 2,500 even with the rubbish we've been playing in the past couple of years (amazingly, it's only 6 seasons since we beat Manchester City in the league - now we're 5 divisions apart!). You're top of the league in what's shaping up to be the closest season in years, and still the attendances are low.

I really hoped that after Euro 2004 that the whole notion of football and going to see it would change in Greece. I know there is violence at games, but I've been to around 10 Greek games and never had any real problems (though the Olympiacos fans rioting towards us at Ergotellis a few weeks back in Crete were a bit scary!). But nothing much seems to have changed. Although it seems like everyone in Greece follows football (how many sports newspapers?!!) only a fraction of those people actually go to the games. You'd think that after the Olympics, people would realise how much more fun it can be seeing events live rather than on TV. I guess the 28,000 crowd at Ergotellis v OLympiacos shows that can be the case - but even that was blighted by the Olympiacos fans and some of those families might well not return.

The way I see it, the clubs need to work a lot harder to change the image of going to matches and work harder to get their local communities involved. The interest in football is there, I think maybe they just need to make more effort to make people come to the stadiums - and then make more effort to make sure they enjoy themselves when they're there.

Archived